Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
八山本 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

SHODAI

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Loving Kotonowaka looking like an ozeki. I'm ready for Kotozakura.

Btw, had to tidy up the new spreadsheet a bit now that bonuses are coming. It appears to be working properly at this point.

Day 9 standings

Makuuchi
code:
32	Iron Chef Nex
29	anakha
29	MalarkeyToboggan
29	Xerzes
28	Communist Thoughts
28	Saturnine Aberrance
27	Banana Canada
27	bartolimu
27	Ice Phisherman
27	Khizan
26	Fluffdaddy
26	Pakled
26	pseudodragon
26	Teddybear
26	Thauros
26	Tiny Bug Child
25	Akiosan
25	Marching Powder
25	Vargatron
24	Netsky
24	NuclearPotato
24	Robviously
24	whats for dinner
23	GoatSeeGuy
22	Brut
22	Everyones Favorite Poster
22	Kenning
22	Lid
21	Average Lettuce
21	Helianthus Annuus
21	Jobbo_Fett
20	Crusty Nutsack
20	Mode 7
19	Kuros
18	captainblastum
18	Charles Gnarwin
18	MyChemicalImbalance
17	Nativity In Black
Juryo
code:
29	bessantj
29	NTRabbit
28	Log082
27	Dead Goon
27	Fearless
27	Kennedy
27	Samuel L. Hacksaw
26	Ben Nerevarine
26	Chinook
26	Gaghskull
26	Octatonic
26	oldskool
26	Takuan
26	Winter Stormer
25	Bentai
25	Biosys
25	Boogalo
24	Beexoffel
24	PJ
24	rare Magic card l00k
24	ullerrm
23	Eldoop
23	Kerrzhe
23	Liquid Communism
23	QuasiQuack
23	Taffy Torpedo
21	ImplicitAssembler
21	KungFu Grip
21	Rags to Liches
20	FART BOSS
19	Single Tight Female
18	Medenmath

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

I saw this footage of young Ura from a midnightsumo mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6xq5FLrWc

If there's similar footage of other makuuchi rikishi I'd love to see it, makes them more relatable while showing us how they were prodigies in their youth.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Abi please stop tripping you're killing me

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Even in the loss, I'm glad to see Takayasu looking competitive. Was starting to worry after a few milquetoast bouts over the past basho..

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Tracker is now updated to Day 10

The following participants have Kotoeko who is kyujo on Day 10. Is auto-trading still a thing for week 2 injuries Kenning?

captainblastum
Crusty Nutsack
Eldoop
Jobbo_Fett
Mode 7
QuasiQuack
Single Tight Female

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

wodin posted:

If he actually pulled off any yusho they'd be setting new historical precedent to deny him the rope. I don't think we have to worry about it though, there's no way his current form is clearing all 3 of the ozeki without a loss

Yeah, doubt it happens, bu if it does, everyone would instantly need to shut the hell up forever about the JSA/YDC hating Hak and his boys because this would be a far greater screwjob than anything they ever did.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Eldoop posted:

八山本 :toot:

This took me a bit because I didn't realize that 本 could be 'hon' and 'moto', but should the first kanji be 一?

(I'm very much a beginner with Japanese)

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 21, 2023

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

day 10:

good god the THUD at the end of Hoshoryu/WMH

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

This took me a bit because I didn't realize that 本 could be 'hon' and 'moto', but should the first kanji be 一?

(I'm very much a beginner with Japanese)

You're spot on, but check his score :wink: it also reads nicely

At least that's what I presume OP's original intent was :haw:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

:doh:

I think I didn't even consider the pun because my brain was stuck trying to figure out hachiyamahon... Eight mountain book?

Today I've also learned that 本 can be interpreted as 'source' much makes a lot of things make way more sense (including 日本).

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 22, 2023

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Current thoughts on some the rikishi:

Atamifuji is looking very strong again. I hope he can handle the pressures of high Maegashira ranks come Jan.

Kotonowaka could be a new Ozeki. He would have to win out and he has Takakeisho tomorrow so it's a rough go at it but he's fun to watch.

Takakeisho is probably not getting the rope even if he wins with a 12--3.

Hokuseiho looks super weak for a dude his size. 6'8", 400lbs and he's been carried out twice and he had a hard time against Midorifuji, the smallest man in Makuuchi.

Midorifuji looking great with those throws, much better than when he was trying to push out the opponent.

Onosho gave up on his fancy hands and that's why he's sucking.

SHODAI is a perfect 5-5 right now, right where he should be.

Holy poo poo at that ending between WMH and Hoshoryu, hope they will be okay.

Finally, dunno why Asanoyama bothered to jump in on Day 8. Should have just rested.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hokuseiho firmly holds down the spot of the most boring rikishi in the top division.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Abi and Shodai are the most confusing rikishi

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Banana Canada posted:

Tracker is now updated to Day 10

The following participants have Kotoeko who is kyujo on Day 10. Is auto-trading still a thing for week 2 injuries Kenning?

captainblastum
Crusty Nutsack
Eldoop
Jobbo_Fett
Mode 7
QuasiQuack
Single Tight Female

Yeah, we're doing auto-trading. They get the fusen loss alongside Kotoeko, but for Day 11 we'll have these trades for Kotoeko on their teams:
code:
captainblastum		Kinbozan
Crusty Nutsack		Takanosho
Eldoop			Kinbozan
Jobbo_Fett		Takanosho
QuasiQuack		Kinbozan
Single Tight Female	Myogiryu
Unforunately, Mode 7's last draft pick was Atamifuji, who is full, so they're stuck with kyujo Kotoeko, but they maintain their position on the draft wire.

Day 10 standings

Makuuchi
code:
39	Iron Chef Nex
36	MalarkeyToboggan
35	anakha
34	Saturnine Aberrance
33	Xerzes
32	Banana Canada
32	Ice Phisherman
32	Khizan
32	Pakled
32	pseudodragon
32	Teddybear
31	Communist Thoughts
31	Tiny Bug Child
31	Vargatron
30	bartolimu
30	Fluffdaddy
30	Thauros
29	Akiosan
29	whats for dinner
28	Marching Powder
27.5	Netsky
27	Everyones Favorite Poster
27	NuclearPotato
27	Robviously
26.5	Jobbo_Fett
26	Brut
26	Kenning
25.5	GoatSeeGuy
25	Average Lettuce
25	Lid
24.5	Crusty Nutsack
24.5	Mode 7
22	Helianthus Annuus
21.5	Kuros
20.5	Charles Gnarwin
19.5	captainblastum
19.5	MyChemicalImbalance
19.5	Nativity In Black
Juryo
code:
37	NTRabbit
35	bessantj
33	Kennedy
33	Log082
32	Dead Goon
32	Fearless
32	Winter Stormer
31	Ben Nerevarine
30	Chinook
30	Takuan
29	Gaghskull
29	Liquid Communism
29	Octatonic
29	oldskool
29	Samuel L. Hacksaw
29	ullerrm
28	Bentai
28	Boogalo
28	Kerrzhe
27	Beexoffel
27	Biosys
27	Rags to Liches
26.5	QuasiQuack
26.5	rare Magic card l00k
26	ImplicitAssembler
26	PJ
25.5	Taffy Torpedo
25	FART BOSS
25	KungFu Grip
23.5	Eldoop
21.5	Single Tight Female
20.5	Medenmath

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

truly one of the shodai matches of all time

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Is forklifting Hokuseiho the new cool meme for strong rikishi? Feel like once Nishikigi proved it could be done everyone is gonna want to join the club, dude's just big and seems to have no problem with letting rikishi get inside and onto his belt, wonder what Coach Hak has up his sleeve to counter it.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Tracker is now updated to Day 11

The following participants have ___Takanosho___ who is kyujo on Day 11.

* Crusty Nutsack (no further trades since their only other pick is Atamifuji?)
* Jobbo_Fett (gets Hokuseiho? or no trade if Hokuseiho is full?)
Kennedy (gets Mitakeumi?)
oldskool (gets Hokuseiho? or no trade if Hokuseiho is full?)

* Unfortunately for these two, they got a kyujo trade yesterday only to get another kyujo rikishi and fusensho loss today!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Banana Canada posted:

* Unfortunately for these two, they got a kyujo trade yesterday only to get another kyujo rikishi and fusensho loss today!

I think those two bad days in a row that I had has stopped my chances of ascension to the top of Juryo.

I promise that my Sumo will be better next Basho.

Thanks Banana Canada!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Kuros posted:

Current thoughts on some the rikishi:

Finally, dunno why Asanoyama bothered to jump in on Day 8. Should have just rested.

tl;dr: I think its probably a calculated risk to mitigate the back slide down the rankings chart when he's getting relatively old for a rikishi

I think the logic has to go something like this:

Asanoyama is M1. IIRC, the formula for banzuke moves is something like (wins-losses) = number of steps up or down. If Asanoyama goes 0-15, this in theory puts him somewhere around M15/16. Granted I think there is a bit of leeway when people are kyujo. Regardless, he'd probably be one poor performance away from demotion. That demotion isn't likely but there's another side effect: He's far far away from sanyaku again. When Asanoyama got back to Makuuchi he got a jun-yusho with a 12-3 score. This got him to M4 (so actually 10 steps up instead of 9, but probably an extra bump because of the tournament runner up). He's then been putting up fairly even records (probably partly due to injury) but they've been winning records so it's 2 more tournaments up to M1 and now back on the cusp of sanyaku.

Lets imagine he goes 5-10 or 4-11, this is 5 and 7 steps down respectively, putting him say M6-8. A decent showing in January could get him back up to M1 and maybe sanyaku by mid year. If he's out the entire tournament he probably wouldn't be sanyaku till the end of next year ,and he's gonna hit 30 next year. So a part of him is probably concerned that time is ticking.

All that said, I don't think this is a great reason to not rest. He's more likely to exacerbate an injury this way and cause himself to spend more time putting performances that are less than his best. Plus, they seem to be giving him what would normally be first week matchups for someone at M1? He's going through all the sanyaku, and unlike the past couple tournaments, the title holders seem to be firing on all cylinders from the get go. Compare that to the other M1, Ura. He's already gone through the gauntlet and has a losing score so he faced off against Tobizaru today who's at M3 (also with a pretty mediocre score so far this tournament).

:effort:

Edit:

Speaking of I was kinda hoping for a repeat of the last time that Ura and Tobizaru faced off (at least I think it was last time). Which basically turned into the sumo version of a lucha match. This one was much more classic sumo.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 22, 2023

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Kerrzhe posted:

truly one of the shodai matches of all time

Shodai is the only rikishi shikona that is noun, verb, and adjective.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Banana Canada posted:

well gently caress

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Happy Kanksgiving from the Midnight Sumo family:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlygL_nThhk

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Shiroc posted:

Hokuseiho firmly holds down the spot of the most boring rikishi in the top division.

His tachiai of standing straight up and waddling forward is so ugly that he has no chance of progressing when his fundamentals are that bad.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hope that Kirishima and Hoshoryu can get yokozuna soon. They both seem like they're getting better and stronger and it would be nice to have some stable, long running yokozuna keeping the division honest.

Lid posted:

His tachiai of standing straight up and waddling forward is so ugly that he has no chance of progressing when his fundamentals are that bad.

"What if late period Ichinojo but worse in every metric except off-dohyo behavior?"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Banana Canada posted:

Brutal stuff. Yeah, unfortunately the only possible trade at this point is Kennedy getting Mitakeumi. Hokuseiho and Atamifuji are full, so there's no trade for the rest. If you're interested, feel free to review the Extremely fine-grained kyujo auto-trading rules that we've labored over. No one else gets trade penalties, but it's a rough last couple days, sorry buds.

I don't have a lot to add to this, but I think it's pretty smart analysis, and it's exactly the sort of stuff I love about sumo. I like Asanoyama, and I think he belongs in the san'yaku, and should be contending to regain ozeki. Him doing what he can to keep that goal in reach is a sort of heroism, and I think we see that same thing from people like Ura and Nishikigi, and of course from Tochi and Teru etc., and it's what makes this sport so exciting and moving.

Log082 posted:

Shodai is the only rikishi shikona that is noun, verb, and adjective.

I've never been one of the Shodai guys in this thread, but over time, as the river erodes the rock, the Shodai guys have made me realize that I will miss Shodai when he's gone.

Lid posted:

I want to love Hokuseiho so bad and he just keeps being goofy.

Day 11 standings

Makuuchi
code:
42	Iron Chef Nex
41	MalarkeyToboggan
40	anakha
37	Pakled
37	Saturnine Aberrance
36	Banana Canada
36	Communist Thoughts
36	Ice Phisherman
36	Khizan
36	Xerzes
35	Akiosan
35	Thauros
34	pseudodragon
34	Teddybear
33.5	Tiny Bug Child
33.5	Vargatron
32.5	whats for dinner
32	Fluffdaddy
31.5	Netsky
31	bartolimu
31	Everyones Favorite Poster
31	NuclearPotato
30.5	Jobbo_Fett
30.5	Kenning
30	Robviously
29.5	Brut
29.5	GoatSeeGuy
29	Marching Powder
28.5	Average Lettuce
28	Mode 7
27.5	Helianthus Annuus
27	Crusty Nutsack
26.5	Charles Gnarwin
24.5	Lid
23	Kuros
22	MyChemicalImbalance
21	Nativity In Black
20	captainblastum
Juryo
code:
40	bessantj
40	NTRabbit
37	Dead Goon
36	Fearless
36	Kennedy
36	Winter Stormer
35	Log082
33.5	Ben Nerevarine
33.5	Chinook
32	Samuel L. Hacksaw
32	Takuan
31.5	Liquid Communism
31.5	ullerrm
31	Beexoffel
31	Biosys
31	Gaghskull
31	Kerrzhe
31	Rags to Liches
30.5	Boogalo
30.5	rare Magic card l00k
30	Octatonic
30	oldskool
30	QuasiQuack
29	Bentai
29	Taffy Torpedo
28.5	FART BOSS
28	PJ
27.5	Eldoop
26.5	ImplicitAssembler
26	KungFu Grip
25.5	Medenmath
25	Single Tight Female

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Somehow the one rikishi I traded, Hokuseiho, will somehow end up not taking a makekoshi after a miserable start and I just absolutely don't know how to feel about that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Robviously posted:

Somehow the one rikishi I traded, Hokuseiho, will somehow end up not taking a makekoshi after a miserable start and I just absolutely don't know how to feel about that.

It takes the brain a long long time to get signals down to those long legs, but once he gets going -- hoo boy!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Tracker is now updated to Day 12

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Atami-fucken-fuji

How hard is it to go from Sekiwake to Ozeki?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

WMH MK :(

Taffy Torpedo posted:

How hard is it to go from Sekiwake to Ozeki?

It obviously depends on the rest of the field of competitors, but averaging 11 wins (or put differently, only 4 losses) for three tournaments in a row when you are definitely going to be facing the strongest competition on the banzuke is no small feat.

Both of the Waka bros spent a year or so as sekiwake without promotion. Same for Hoshoryu before he made the leap I think.

Kirishima on the other hand managed it about as quick as he could.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Terunofuji did it twice.

He has had exactly four bashos as a sekiwake in his career, and only one at komusubi. His first run went m2>sekiwake>sekiwake>ozeki, and his second went komusubi>sekiwake>sekiwake>ozeki>ozeki>yokozuna. He has never put up a losing score in the lower sanyaku ranks.

He is really good at sumo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

WMH MK :(

It obviously depends on the rest of the field of competitors, but averaging 11 wins (or put differently, only 4 losses) for three tournaments in a row when you are definitely going to be facing the strongest competition on the banzuke is no small feat.

Both of the Waka bros spent a year or so as sekiwake without promotion. Same for Hoshoryu before he made the leap I think.

Kirishima on the other hand managed it about as quick as he could.

https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12210

mitakeumi was a sanyaku mainstay starting in 2017 including winning two yusho and still couldn't break through until his third championship in january 2022. then ofc he alomst immediately fell apart due to some combination of injiuries and covid and lost it in four basho...

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Making Ozeki is drat hard and the requirements filter out a lot of guys who would be considered solid Ozeki but never out together the career best run to earn the title. Like as mentioned Mira's 2017-22 run wouldn't have been out of place as an Ozeki if he could have pulled out the run earlier.

Since 2000 there have been 23 guys getting to Ozeki. Not counting Hosho and Kiri who haven't had enough tourneys yet, that's 21 guys who hv
have had a chance at Ozeki. Of those, 6 became Yokozuna. Of the 15 remaining guys that peaked at Ozeki, only 4 had another 33/3 run at Ozeki. Baruto did it once as part of a 5 tourney run centered on a 14-1. Tochiazuma did it 1.5 times, once directly after his promotion as a continuation of a super hot year and once where the first tournament was technically as Sekiwake after an injury drop. Kaio did it a bunch of times and Takakeisho has had 2 so far. Takayasu peaked at a couple 32s and Kotoshogiku and Goeido never passed 30 in their Ozeki careers.

So getting the Ozeki title requires not just a guy who's consistently really good which is hard enough already, but it requires them to go on what is essentially a fluke career year that they can't approach again.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
my go-to for ‘how hard is it to make Ozeki’ is always the time Wakanosato was S, K, or M1 in literally every basho for nearly 5 years straight, but no 33 in 45 win streak so no promotion for him

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

And with that in mind, consider this:

From January 2007 to July 2015, Hakuho had 33+ wins in every grouping of three consecutive bashos.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 12:
Atamifuji did a GREAT job against Hoshoryu, really glad to see him staying on top. Three days to go and there are so many dudes still in the yusho race, it's very exciting.

And best of all, Takayasu got his KK! I'm so relieved for him.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
ATAMIFUJI! My boy beat an Ozeki!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm literally gonna go on https://wheelofnames.com/ put in all qualifying rikishi for the next tournament and record it for this thread as I can't seem to pick rikishi worth poo poo. Might as well put it up to pseudorandom chance in that case. Straight up quote me on this in Jan. so I don't forget.