Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

quiggy posted:

Whenever I've got a big shopping list of stuff to gather I always try to time any necessary trips to Rak'tika for the daytime so I get to listen to La Hee.

I'll be the monster who actively avoids Rak'tika (and Labyrinthos) in the daytime because I find the songs obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Warmachine posted:

I'll be the monster who actively avoids Rak'tika (and Labyrinthos) in the daytime because I find the songs obnoxious.

If it makes you feel any better I'm not a big fan of the Ultima Thule music, but of course that one's always playing sooo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Warmachine posted:

That's why I just turn off the BGM or am almost exclusively on a mount with music I do like.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

That’s good running errands music so it works.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Absolutely insane tbh...

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Slowly reaching the conclusion of post-HW questlines and man, the "freedom fighters willing to do anything for freedom of their homeland" does sound different now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dear XIV thread,

So I've been playing XIV for a few months and am up to the start of Heavensward. I got into it at the encouragement of my girlfriend, who is somehow a very minor celebrity in XIV for reasons I don't quite understand. The problem I've got is that as I'm now in Heavensward I can visit her house, but she won't let me unless she can "Fantasia" my character (which I understand is some kind of transmog thing), as she thinks he is too ugly to be seen with:

I explicitly didn't want to be some dorky anime person like 99% of other people and tried to make a grizzled barbarian type. Am I really that hideous?!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Necrothatcher posted:

The problem I've got is that as I'm now in Heavensward I can visit her house, but she won't let me unless she can "Fantasia" my character (which I understand is some kind of transmog thing), as she thinks he is too ugly to be seen with

This feels really weird imho? Like, I don't know what the FFXIV Celebrity Life is like, but "you cannot be seen on my virtual property with that ugly character" is... odd.

Anyway, I like your barbarian and I think you should keep him

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For maximum entertainment (for us :v:) you should ask what you will look like after the fantasia. Personally I think your grizzled barbarian is fine and more interesting than the 9000th sexy catgirl but what do I know of FF14 e-fame.

Also it's not "transmog" (that would be the glamour feature in game), it's FF14's version of a race change token, it allows you to completely redesign your character as if you're making a new one (with the exception of your starter class/-city, which will remain fixed forever).

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hyur that doesn't look like a male fashion model is a cool bit of unique drip.

There's loads of aesthetic in the RPer/Gposer/"Minor Celeb" scene to have an anime doll with a stoic slab of battle hardened beef, it's a classic pairing.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Doomykins posted:

But why male models?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Doomykins posted:

There's loads of aesthetic in the RPer/Gposer/"Minor Celeb" scene to have an anime doll with a stoic slab of battle hardened beef, it's a classic pairing.

Seriously. Please post a trip report as this situation develops Necrothatcher.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ojjeorago posted:

But why male models?

Necrothatcher referred to himself as he so I defaulted to that, probably. Everybody defaults to looking like a super model in this game so going against that makes you stand out. Even Roes and Hroths are devastatingly beautiful.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 21, 2023

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Doomykins posted:

Necrothatcher referred to himself as he so I defaulted to that, probably. Everybody defaults to looking like a super model in this game so going against that makes you stand out. Even Roes and Hroths are devastatingly beautiful.
But why male models?

(It’s okay Ojjeorago I understood your reference)

Necrothatcher posted:

Am I really that hideous?!
You look fine. Play what you want

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Necrothatcher posted:

I explicitly didn't want to be some dorky anime person like 99% of other people and tried to make a grizzled barbarian type. Am I really that hideous?!
Your look is fine, play what you want. You're dressed like a Conan-themed stripper.

Admittedly, that's partially an issue with ARR armor design as a whole, now that you're past 50 and into HW, I'd start looking either at the marketboard (if you're paid) or at different crafting tables for what kind of stuff you can make for glamours that's actually good.

Oh, I should explain the difference, probably.
A Fantasia completely changes your character's appearance and race and voice, and is a paid service.

A Glamour is used to make gear look like other gear, and is unlocked outside the Waking Sands at like level 15. It's also the real endgame of XIV, finding the outfits you think look cool and fit your personal aesthetic.

If she's complaining about your fanta, that's rude. If she's complaining about your glamour, she's asking you to maybe dress up nice before you meet her friends, and that's much more reasonable.

The same character can rock a lot of different looks.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 21, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

iPodschun posted:

But why male models?

(It’s okay Ojjeorago I understood your reference)

:negative: I don't get this reference.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doomykins posted:

You need to watch Zoolander.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doomykins posted:

It's literally one of the greatest improvised scenes in cinema history. David Duchovny is a brilliant actor.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Necrothatcher posted:

Dear XIV thread,

So I've been playing XIV for a few months and am up to the start of Heavensward. I got into it at the encouragement of my girlfriend, who is somehow a very minor celebrity in XIV for reasons I don't quite understand. The problem I've got is that as I'm now in Heavensward I can visit her house, but she won't let me unless she can "Fantasia" my character (which I understand is some kind of transmog thing), as she thinks he is too ugly to be seen with:

personally i like the look of your character - although my taste in barbarians leans toward ones that wear lots of furs and stuff. so something more like the woad skyraiders armor from the lvl 53 dungeon.

I wouldn't take the fantasia offer since you're happy with how your own character looks, but you might find an outfit you both prefer over what your character is currently wearing, if you look around!

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 21, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Seriously. Please post a trip report as this situation develops Necrothatcher.

It sounds like it's bunnyboy or nothing.

No bunnyboy, no power-levelling aid or house access.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

iPodschun posted:

But why male models?

Seriously? I just told you a minute ago.

That was a great movie. :3:

Necrothatcher posted:

:sickos:

It's kind of amazing how petty yet potentially serious(or not) this could be. I hope you two reach a compromise or agreement.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Just get the bunny outfit from the gold saucer.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Vord posted:

Just get the bunny outfit from the gold saucer.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

But also more seriously if she’s really being that much of an rear end in a top hat about it, you probably should look elsewhere for help if you’re enjoying the game. You can always put up a Party Finder by yourself to fill in slots for a raid that Duty Finder won’t pop (or if you want to do harder content).

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

wear this when you'll be seen around her house or whatever

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you look great as you are dude don't let nobody tell you otherwise

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

God Hole posted:

wear this when you'll be seen around her house or whatever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
now i'm checking to see if r/ffxivaita exists

---

for real commentary: this sets off my spidey senses and i think your current appearance is good and dank. Maybe the white hair is setting her off? Anyways yeah i agree, get a bunch of furs and animal skins and stuff.

There are also some very concealing and cool glams you can set up depending on job. I don't run these all the time, but now and then you want to project a bit of mystery and these are great for that.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 21, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
If you want to get into FF14 fashion and need inspiration, even if it's just how to make a given piece of equipment work with an outfit, allow me to introduce you to your new best friend.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

too ugly to be seen with

in the entire game there's only one au ra face that is true for

you know the one

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Necrothatcher posted:

Dear XIV thread,

I don't think you need a fantasia (which is a racechange) but you definitely need to up your fashion game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm going to take the minority position and say that grizzled Highlanders are just about the only ones who can pull off the harness-and-subligar look in a platonic context

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

I'm going to take the minority position and say that grizzled Highlanders are just about the only ones who can pull off the harness-and-subligar look in a platonic context

Everyone can and should be wearing harness-and-subligar at all times.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I remember in FFXI it was almost impossible for catgirls to wear pants at low levels but there was one subligar that added stretchy leggings so I always wore that on my alt.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I've started playing FFXIV with an 8BitDo Ultimate controller and I'm trying to decide what to do with the extra buttons on the underside. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you could assign common actions like sprint, limit break, knockback immune and stuff to them. idk how they work or how many buttons there are but I assume you assign them to a key? make a normal hotbar with those keys and functions assigned and there ya go.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Vitamean posted:

you could assign common actions like sprint, limit break, knockback immune and stuff to them. idk how they work or how many buttons there are but I assume you assign them to a key? make a normal hotbar with those keys and functions assigned and there ya go.

unless its different from the pro, you can only program joypad buttons to the back paddles. Tye typical candidates are L/R 3 (the sticks) or L/R2 for an instant trigger.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Okay we had a chat and went over several of her arguments to Fantasia me and my response:

1. Cutscenes would look much better with a more attractive character. - I like my guy as he is.
2. I made him as a joke to purposefully play as an ugly character - I was actually vaguely trying to make him look like Geralt
3. I'm not taking the game seriously in general - I'm taking it as seriously as any other game. I'm watching the cutscenes, paying attention to the story and trying to play my class well.
4. I just look like an idiot! - Disagree
5. People are going to laugh at my character - I don't care
6. Why wouldn't I want to be hot? - Everyone in this game is anime hot, I like my guy being different.
6. We're going to look silly together - Why do we even HAVE to do relationship stuff in-game?

It's looking like I may be able to dodge becoming a bunnyboy, though the concession is that I will probably have to get a haircut, beard, and cosmetics glow-up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is a strange thing to have a hangnail over in a relationship.

That being said fwiw an older gentleman Vira is doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah Face 4 male Viera is older. You can always play around in the character creator to try things out.

But also you shouldn't change because your girlfriend is being ridiculous.