Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rinkles posted:

how do you choose a dash cam?

I would read a bit on the Dashcam Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I need a new battery backup / UPS, my old cyberpower 850VA has ate poo poo.

What's the current hotness? needs are to sustain a gaming pc (say, 900W) and attached peripherals (27" monitor, home networking, etc.) for like 5 minutes so I can perform an orderly shutdown or make it through a 5 second spike. We get a lot of short spikes and outages here when there's bad weather.

preferably something available via amazon or bestbuy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pmchem posted:

I need a new battery backup / UPS, my old cyberpower 850VA has ate poo poo.

Is it the batteries? Those can be replaced.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Saukkis posted:

I would read a bit on the Dashcam Thread.

thanks

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rinkles posted:

how do you choose a dash cam?

The dashcam thread in AI includes dash cam footage but also discussion of Dash cams. The top of the last page has some goons talking about what they have installed.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there any sort of mini UPS that can provide just a few minutes of power (or less?) and a signal to the puter to shutdown gracefully?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

other people posted:

Is there any sort of mini UPS that can provide just a few minutes of power (or less?) and a signal to the puter to shutdown gracefully?

That's really just a regular UPS. They need to be specced to handle the power output your PC needs to run, but the length of time is determined by how much of the maximum output of the UPS you use.

I have a 1500VA cyberpower and my power is out right now. It can handle 900 watts. I don't know exactly how loaded it was but I had two PCs with video cards and monitors running off of it when the power died and it immediately started beeping fast and showing 2-3 minutes of power left. Closing games brought the estimated time up a little, but I shut down anyway. Some of that short run time was the high load and some could be that the batteries are a couple of years old.

Since run time is not a static figure you just need to get a UPS specced for your needs. A regular office PC would probably be okay with 600VA or less but I usually buy units with automatic voltage regulation (AVR) and last I checked, cyberpower had those starting at 685VA. Something like that would be good for most PCs that aren't going to use a lot of power but if you have a gaming PC with a modern video card, that could bring the total system draw to 500 Watts or more and it wouldn't be able to handle the power output required to not just fail and turn off when the power goes out.

If you have low draw devices like network equipment they do make small UPSes for those that are good for 100-150Watts or so. I'd look it up but with no power I'm using phone data until it comes back on or I get the generator set up.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Rexxed posted:

That's really just a regular UPS. They need to be specced to handle the power output your PC needs to run, but the length of time is determined by how much of the maximum output of the UPS you use.

I have a 1500VA cyberpower and my power is out right now. It can handle 900 watts. I don't know exactly how loaded it was but I had two PCs with video cards and monitors running off of it when the power died and it immediately started beeping fast and showing 2-3 minutes of power left. Closing games brought the estimated time up a little, but I shut down anyway. Some of that short run time was the high load and some could be that the batteries are a couple of years old.

Since run time is not a static figure you just need to get a UPS specced for your needs. A regular office PC would probably be okay with 600VA or less but I usually buy units with automatic voltage regulation (AVR) and last I checked, cyberpower had those starting at 685VA. Something like that would be good for most PCs that aren't going to use a lot of power but if you have a gaming PC with a modern video card, that could bring the total system draw to 500 Watts or more and it wouldn't be able to handle the power output required to not just fail and turn off when the power goes out.

If you have low draw devices like network equipment they do make small UPSes for those that are good for 100-150Watts or so. I'd look it up but with no power I'm using phone data until it comes back on or I get the generator set up.

I appreciate the point that runtime of a UPS is going to depend on the power draw at that moment. Luckily I don't have some fancy gaming PC (and even if I did I don't think I'd worry too much if the power went out during a WoW raid or something) so I think the power draw will be minimal.

What I had in mind is a NUC "server" which has an external drive and it would be annoying if it became corrupted. It just seems a bit silly to need a typical UPS that is five times the size of the NUC just to keep it running for a few moments so it can shut down if the power goes out. I suppose I should have just bought a laptop.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

other people posted:

I appreciate the point that runtime of a UPS is going to depend on the power draw at that moment. Luckily I don't have some fancy gaming PC (and even if I did I don't think I'd worry too much if the power went out during a WoW raid or something) so I think the power draw will be minimal.

What I had in mind is a NUC "server" which has an external drive and it would be annoying if it became corrupted. It just seems a bit silly to need a typical UPS that is five times the size of the NUC just to keep it running for a few moments so it can shut down if the power goes out. I suppose I should have just bought a laptop.

The small ups for network equipment and the like might suffice. There are a few new kinds with lipos that are pretty small like a big USB battery pack with 4 or 5 18650 cells but set up to be able to do different dc voltages, but I don't have any experience with using them. Here's one on Amazon:
Shanqiu Mini UPS Battery Backup Uninterruptible Power Supply for Router, Modem, Security Camera, Input DC or USB Output USB 5V DC 5V 9V 12V 2A (37Wh) https://a.co/d/6ormZOq

Here's a more traditional lead acid battery one that's small for a lead acid one by APC:
APC UPS Battery Backup Surge Protector, 425VA Backup Battery Power Supply, BE425M https://a.co/d/1yQvkrf

My power is still out so I apologize for the mobile links from the Amazon app.

Anyway, I think the lipo based ones will save a lot of weight and size but may lack the longevity of a unit with a lead acid battery since the latter are meant to have the battery be changed every 3-5 years or so. Even though you could potentially put new lipos in the other one it's probably not built for it.

I also can't guarantee the lipo one will provide the dc output you need since it's setup for 5, 9, or 12V and some mini PCs run on 12 but some use 18-20V laptop style power supplies.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Rexxed posted:

The small ups for network equipment and the like might suffice. There are a few new kinds with lipos that are pretty small like a big USB battery pack with 4 or 5 18650 cells but set up to be able to do different dc voltages, but I don't have any experience with using them. Here's one on Amazon:
Shanqiu Mini UPS Battery Backup Uninterruptible Power Supply for Router, Modem, Security Camera, Input DC or USB Output USB 5V DC 5V 9V 12V 2A (37Wh) https://a.co/d/6ormZOq

Here's a more traditional lead acid battery one that's small for a lead acid one by APC:
APC UPS Battery Backup Surge Protector, 425VA Backup Battery Power Supply, BE425M https://a.co/d/1yQvkrf

My power is still out so I apologize for the mobile links from the Amazon app.

Anyway, I think the lipo based ones will save a lot of weight and size but may lack the longevity of a unit with a lead acid battery since the latter are meant to have the battery be changed every 3-5 years or so. Even though you could potentially put new lipos in the other one it's probably not built for it.

I also can't guarantee the lipo one will provide the dc output you need since it's setup for 5, 9, or 12V and some mini PCs run on 12 but some use 18-20V laptop style power supplies.

That APC one is a nice size but it doesn't have any usb connectivity since I expect they don't really want you using it with a PC. Also I need a euro one (schuko socket) but they don't seem to have this a schuko version of this model anyway.

In the few years we have lived in our current place I don't think we've ever had a momentary power blip but twice power has been lost for the entire building for some hours and once our apartment's breaker flipped for some unknown reason (ha) while we were on vacation. So of course I don't want something to keep the system going for days but just something to at least peacefully shut down.

Maybe I will suck it up and buy the "smallest" cyberpower thing I can get but I'm not going to be happy about it >:(. Next time I am repurposing a laptop.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was looking for a wireless mechanical keyboard. After doing some research I want to avoid Bluetooth for a whole host of reasons, #1 on the list being input latency in the human perceptible range.

I am wondering if there are any wireless technologies out there besides Lightspeed that allow a wireless connection with low latency. Lightspeed being the only solution would be annoying, since it would limit my options to literally a single keyboard if I want full-profile keys, and the Romer-G full sized switches don't have great reviews.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Sometimes when I start an app, it closes immediately upon the first mouseclick on it. And sometimes when I enter a search term on a website and press enter, I get a partial result, as if only some of the text had been entered, or a popup with the code of the search box instead. It's almost as if the mouseclick and other forms of "execution" causes strange behavior sometimes.

Could these issues be related to me stabbing the mobo slightly with a screwdriver while installing my new m2 ssd (drat those tiny screws to hell)?

edit: I'm running cmd: sfc /scannow now

edit: it found corrupted files and repaired them. That has happened before though.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 23, 2023

poot
Apr 21, 2010
My old PSU has become too noisy, so it's time for a new one, but things have changed a bit since last I bought one. My motherboard has one 2x4 pin and one 2x12 pin power connector. A bunch of the PSU I was looking at had 2x4 and 2x9. Is the 2x9 connector compatible with the 2x12 one on the motherboard, or do I have to find a PSU with a 2x12?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure what 2x9 would be, unless you're looking at the PSU side of a modular cable which is not standardized and therefore kinda meaningless. Can you link what you're looking at?

ATX12V is still the prevailing standard, as it has been for two decades or so. That's the 2x12 (main MB connector with all the traditional rails) and 2x4 (12V for the CPU), so most power supplies you see should work for you.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
I was just hoping to upgrade the drivers for my RTX 2060 before watching it meltdown in an attempt to play Cyberpunk, and I was pretty surprised to find the latest driver on their site listed as being released in December 3, 2021... I'd always thought graphics cards were given driver support for quite a bit longer. Is something wrong here or is it indeed the case that driver support has stopped for cards this old?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

a pwn cocktail posted:

I was just hoping to upgrade the drivers for my RTX 2060 before watching it meltdown in an attempt to play Cyberpunk, and I was pretty surprised to find the latest driver on their site listed as being released in December 3, 2021... I'd always thought graphics cards were given driver support for quite a bit longer. Is something wrong here or is it indeed the case that driver support has stopped for cards this old?

You need to download the GeForce Experience for driver updates.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

not sure where you're looking, the 20 series is very much still supported

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/216464/en-us/

the current drivers still support the 900 series, nevermind the newer 10 and 20 series

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
If you don't want to install the whole Geforce Experience package you can use tools like this to just check for (and download) newer drivers:
https://github.com/ElPumpo/TinyNvidiaUpdateChecker

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Bit strange - this was the page I got my results on https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx
Anyway thanks for the replies and confirmation!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ah i see the problem, there's two flavors of nvidia driver and the older "standard" type was retired in 2021

if you choose "DCH" you get the newer ones

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

repiv posted:

ah i see the problem, there's two flavors of nvidia driver and the older "standard" type was retired in 2021

if you choose "DCH" you get the newer ones

Ah. Yes I was wondering what that was!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Less Fat Luke posted:

If you don't want to install the whole Geforce Experience package you can use tools like this to just check for (and download) newer drivers:
https://github.com/ElPumpo/TinyNvidiaUpdateChecker

Do you really need Experience or a special tool? New Nvidia drivers are released every couple weeks or so, just check the website weekly after you've snatched the latest Epic store freebies. Or check for drivers whenever you get a new game or you notice graphics issues on a newish game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve always used GFE because it’s just easier 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm torn right now about whether to upgrade from a Ryzen 7 3700X to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D, or more specifically requesting the 5800X3D as a gift.

The rest of the build is pretty standard:
X570 Aorus Elite
EVGA 3080 Ti (RIP evga)
3600 32GB RAM
Windows 11
Neo G8 4K/Monitor 1
Some other Monitor/ Monitor 2
Etc.

Primary usage of the desktop is gaming, am playing through Alan Wake 2 right now, as well as other current-gen highly graphiced games. I also use this for video production, but I use GPU rendering for that.
Does this upgrade make sense or would it be better to hold off and do a full new build a few years down the line?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imo it’s a meaningful upgrade.

Especially since you have a decent video card.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Saukkis posted:

Do you really need Experience or a special tool? New Nvidia drivers are released every couple weeks or so, just check the website weekly after you've snatched the latest Epic store freebies. Or check for drivers whenever you get a new game or you notice graphics issues on a newish game.
I just double click the checker every once in a while, you can also schedule it with the Task Scheduler. GeForce Experience sends a boatload of telemetry though so either checking the site manually or with a tool is what I prefer.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sardonik posted:

I'm torn right now about whether to upgrade from a Ryzen 7 3700X to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D, or more specifically requesting the 5800X3D as a gift.

X570 Aorus Elite
EVGA 3080 Ti (RIP evga)
3600 32GB RAM
Windows 11
Neo G8 4K/Monitor 1
Etc.

Primary usage of the desktop is gaming, am playing through Alan Wake 2 right now, as well as other current-gen highly graphiced games. I also use this for video production, but I use GPU rendering for that.
Does this upgrade make sense or would it be better to hold off and do a full new build a few years down the line?

It's probably worthwhile to put a 5800X3D in there and use the system for another 4+ years without having too much trouble as long as it's not overly expensive. You could even resell your old CPU to recoup a little of the cost.

I went from a 5800X to a 5800X3D so I'm a bit biased (but I still have uses for the 5800X). It's going to be the best CPU for the AM4 socket with the most longevity.

poot
Apr 21, 2010

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm not sure what 2x9 would be, unless you're looking at the PSU side of a modular cable which is not standardized and therefore kinda meaningless. Can you link what you're looking at?

ATX12V is still the prevailing standard, as it has been for two decades or so. That's the 2x12 (main MB connector with all the traditional rails) and 2x4 (12V for the CPU), so most power supplies you see should work for you.

Looking or an example I found thin one:
https://www.msi.com/Power-Supply/MAG-A750GL-PCIE5

That one has an ATX24P split into a 2x9 and a 2x5 connector on the PSU side, but the cable that comes with the PSU is 2x12 on the motherboard side. Mystery solved I guess. Thanks for the reply!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Sardonik posted:

X570 Aorus Elite
EVGA 3080 Ti (RIP evga)
3600 32GB RAM
Windows 11
Neo G8 4K/Monitor 1
Etc.

I upgraded from the 3700X to 5800X3D (with a EVGA 3080 10gb) for my secondary build and it was worth every penny. I mainly use it for games like Stellaris, Doom Eternal, or Battlefront 2 (lol) and it was a huge difference. So not the most graphically intensive games but the overall experience is really good. With the 3700X in Doom I would see fps range from 100-144 depending on the in-game situation and with the 5800X3D I see mostly a steady 144fps with the occasional drop in the 130s when the action is really intense. The improvement in the lows was probably the biggest difference and the cpu eliminated any hitching which makes every game I play a really smooth experience. This is in 1440p so the difference might be a tiny better than if you are playing in 4K but you will likely notice quite a difference with the upgrade as many can attest. It really is a good cpu even going forward.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Thank you everyone for strengthening my resolve! Deeply looking forward to getting this upgrade done now. Will post before and after benchmarks if I remember and anyone's interested.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve always used GFE because it’s just easier 🤷🏻‍♂️
I've literally never installed GFE. Am I missing out on anything?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't recall if it does anything special that the standard nvidia control panel doesn't. GFE does require registering an account FYI. Can't do anything without logging in.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It used to not require one and apparently it's very easy to hack the requirement out without losing any functionality. All you're missing out on is bad graphics presets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks, sounds like I'm not missing out on anything and I *hate* creating accounts to use purchased devices/hardware.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

slidebite posted:

I've literally never installed GFE. Am I missing out on anything?

It will autoset some games for you and can tell you average frame rates and stuff.

I use it for the screen capture stuff too

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, I wouldn't have bothered about it except because of Shadowplay.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is there a thread where I can ask audio nerds what the best gaming headset is?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is there a thread where I can ask audio nerds what the best gaming headset is?

Probably the headphone thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036610&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

But I’ll throw these out there

EPOS H6Pro - Open Acoustic Gaming Headset with Mic - Lightweight Headband - Comfortable & Durable Design - Xbox Headset - PS4 Headset - PS5 Headset - PC/Windows Headset - Gaming Accessories (Green) https://a.co/d/3xbA7kq

Imo they are drat fantastic for $100 (or $83 from the warehouse). I liked them so much I bought a second pair for my Xbox and ps5.

I don’t have to worry about sound leaking so I bought the open ones but the closed ones are great too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Has any "reputable" brand made those AA-form factor USB rechargable lithium batteries yet? Basically these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Batteries-Lithium-Charging-Indicator/dp/B0BT4FTH85/

We go through a lot of AA batteries in our roku remote because we use the headphone port on it all the time. It would be nice to not be burning through alkaline batteries, but nimh rechargeable batteries don't cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

H110Hawk posted:

Has any "reputable" brand made those AA-form factor USB rechargable lithium batteries yet? Basically these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Batteries-Lithium-Charging-Indicator/dp/B0BT4FTH85/

We go through a lot of AA batteries in our roku remote because we use the headphone port on it all the time. It would be nice to not be burning through alkaline batteries, but nimh rechargeable batteries don't cut it.

Fenix makes good ones, but they are not inexpensive

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-18650-rechargeable-batteries