Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Finally, Linux is ready for the desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

both of those look pretty nice

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

lol systemd-bsod generates a QR code, but it's actually useful, unlike Windows

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

it's not useful in either case, unless you have the symbols and a debugger handy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

it's not useful in either case, unless you have the symbols and a debugger handy

it's a good thing linux is the power user OS

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pseudorandom name posted:

lol systemd-bsod generates a QR code, but it's actually useful, unlike Windows

this might be the first genuinely user friendly thing I’ve seen from systemd

I’ll hold off additional commentary until we see it fully implemented and in action but it seems easier to get users to take a picture of a screen and send that out than to describe a log image or take a blurry picture.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sure it is, grandma gets a BSOD and you ask her to take a picture and send it to you. Now you don’t have to try to explain to your grandma how to tail her logs from the terminal.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 7, 2023

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

working with people who cads for a living really drills down the point that linux will never reach any kind of desktop share for work purposes for other than people who either codes or janitors computers for a living, and that is really depressing.

microsoft and autodesk can do what ever the hell they want, and noone can do anything about it. i don't think that'll change in my lifetime without the eu or equivalent starts a multinational project mandating open software and standards in the cad sector.

i'm pretty sure autodesk deliberately makes their software hard to support in wine too. especially annoying since they use qt to develop it, and that it used to work just fine in unix years ago. i'm convinced it's done on purpose.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sure it is, grandma gets a BSOD and you ask her to take a picture and send it to you. Now you don’t have to try to explain to your grandma how to tail her logs from the terminal.
unless someone's the kind of computer toucher to have symbols installed and a debugger available, they're just going to reboot to mask any problems anyway

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

working with people who cads for a living really drills down the point that linux will never reach any kind of desktop share for work purposes for other than people who either codes or janitors computers for a living, and that is really depressing.

microsoft and autodesk can do what ever the hell they want, and noone can do anything about it. i don't think that'll change in my lifetime without the eu or equivalent starts a multinational project mandating open software and standards in the cad sector.

i'm pretty sure autodesk deliberately makes their software hard to support in wine too. especially annoying since they use qt to develop it, and that it used to work just fine in unix years ago. i'm convinced it's done on purpose.

there is other high-end commercial cad software that runs on multiple platforms like bricscad, but with autocad basically being "the cad program" since the early 80s, good luck breaking that inertia. given enough lovely business practices with good alternatives, it can happen (e.g. blender is encroaching on 3dsmax/maya territory, other nonlinear video editors are pushing into the adobe premiere space), but it's an extremely uphill battle. i'm still waiting for adobe to buy autodesk or vice-versa and create a true monopoly on the most used creative software

also, updated to fedora 39: took less than 5 minutes, no problems, very dull

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 7, 2023

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

if you loved your grandmother you’d buy her a Mac instead of making her use windows or a linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’d tail your grandma

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

if you loved your grandmother you’d buy her a Mac instead of making her use windows or a linux

yeah. I bought mine an m1 imac and it works gr8

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The_Franz posted:

there is other high-end commercial cad software that runs on multiple platforms like bricscad, but with autocad basically being "the cad program" since the early 80s, good luck breaking that inertia. given enough lovely business practices with good alternatives, it can happen (e.g. blender is encroaching on 3dsmax/maya territory, other nonlinear video editors are pushing into the adobe premiere space), but it's an extremely uphill battle. i'm still waiting for adobe to buy autodesk or vice-versa and create a true monopoly on the most used creative software

also, updated to fedora 39: took less than 5 minutes, no problems, very dull

hmm didn't realize today was the day

https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-linux-39/

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've been using restic for backups for a few years but I finally had to try recovering a file from a backup for the first time because I apparently had accidentally deleted the private key for a certificate authority created in easy_rsa I have been using with caddy, and it was really easy to do "restic mount" to access the backups via fuse, find one where the file still existed, and copy it.

I still haven't tried recovering a whole disk or something but it seems pretty good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/news-and-events/nvk-reaches-vulkan-conformance.html

Open-source Vulkan driver for recent NVIDIA hardware has reached Vulkan 1.0 conformance, including the first release of its new shader compiler. It probably isn't super performant yet but functionally at least it appears to be coming online. Not sure how the nouveau kernel driver or firmware blob side of things fits into this at the moment.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
if you have only one backup you have 0 backups

if all your backups are stored in the same place you have 0 backups

if your backups are writable from the prod env you have 0 backups

if you have not verified you can recover anything you might want from your backups, and do so regularly, you have 0 backups

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i been doing rsync but restic looks neat thx OP

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/news-and-events/nvk-reaches-vulkan-conformance.html

Open-source Vulkan driver for recent NVIDIA hardware has reached Vulkan 1.0 conformance, including the first release of its new shader compiler. It probably isn't super performant yet but functionally at least it appears to be coming online. Not sure how the nouveau kernel driver or firmware blob side of things fits into this at the moment.
I'm hoping that the time I need to get a new video card again nvidia is better to use under linux

fresh_cheese posted:

if you have not verified you can recover anything you might want from your backups, and do so regularly, you have 0 backups
I think I have at least 0.2 backups :colbert:

fresh_cheese posted:

i been doing rsync but restic looks neat thx OP
There's one other program that's essentially equivalent to restic that I've forgotten the name of that's probably just as good, but in general I think the approach it takes to do deduplication without requiring incremental backups where you have to do multiple steps to restore a given version is really good. There are a lot of backup programs where just looking how they work I absolutely wouldn't trust them or they're too much of a PITA but restic just makes sense and it's designed so you can use something like s3 or backblaze b2 (what I'm using) so it's cheap enough that I can just filter out video files and some folders like steam and package caches and back up everything else from my home folder while keeping a whole bunch of versions, rather than trying to pick specific things to back up, and it's pretty fast to back up too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 22, 2023

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

fresh_cheese posted:

actually it's one backup

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol what happened to your avatar

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

finally gaming might come to linux

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

mystes posted:

restic is cool and good but needs object store

ah here we run up against my old enemy: my own cheap-ness

fak. guess i oughtta look at some S3 costs anyway so i can me some get off prem backups

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

mycophobia posted:

actually it's one backup

nah man the math works different for backups. theres like heisenberg uncertainty and quantum entanglement n poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

ah here we run up against my old enemy: my own cheap-ness

fak. guess i oughtta look at some S3 costs anyway so i can me some get off prem backups
b2 is $6/TB/Month

If you make a minimal effort to exclude big stuff that you don't actually need to back up it's completely negligible

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fresh_cheese posted:

what if you have a backup on the vm itself

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

what if you have a backup on the vm itself
lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If there’s a single point of failure it’s not a backup. It’s a redundancy.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

yea i had a whole presentation on the distinction between a copy and a backup.

-> if ‘rm -rf /‘ or ‘lvremove’ or anything else within the system of concern can take out the backup, it aint a backup

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mystes posted:

lol what happened to your avatar

the vicious fyad trolls will stop at nothing

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i rsync to an external drive every once in a while when i remember and also feel like it. thats my backup

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

mycophobia posted:

i rsync to an external drive every once in a while when i remember and also feel like it. thats my backup

did you verify the external drive is honest about its capacity and is all good blocks? maybe its lying that it stores anything past sector 1337.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

fresh_cheese posted:

did you verify the external drive is honest about its capacity and is all good blocks? maybe its lying that it stores anything past sector 1337.

ive restored from it before, drat near the entire ~1TB

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Borg and borgmatic are quite nice. I've used it for years now, restored stuff a bunch of times as well. Doesn't need object storage, a file system is enough, even one reachable via ssh.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i use gnome-backup on my desktop and it works nicely, but it only supports "consumer" cloud storage so only like gdrive and not b2. all data is encrypted client side ofc.

i believe it uses duplicity as its backend.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use backintime and it’s quite good. I’ll look into gnome backup!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Borg and borgmatic are quite nice. I've used it for years now, restored stuff a bunch of times as well. Doesn't need object storage, a file system is enough, even one reachable via ssh.
I think borg is the other one I was thinking of that's similar to restic. I'm not really sure what the differences are honestly although I think I might have heard about more people having issues with their backups getting corrupted with borg in the past? I don't think restic actually needs object storage either and it can backup over sftp, it's just that object storage is probably the most convenient way to do cloud backups with it.

Sapozhnik posted:

i use gnome-backup on my desktop and it works nicely, but it only supports "consumer" cloud storage so only like gdrive and not b2. all data is encrypted client side ofc.

i believe it uses duplicity as its backend.
duplicity seems fairly popular but it uses incremental backups which I don't like as much as the restic/borg approach

Maybe there is some nicer frontend for restic now though, I haven't really checked recently.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

FlapYoJacks posted:

If there’s a single point of failure it’s not a backup. It’s a redundancy.

wut. if there’s a single point of failure then there’s no redundancy, by definition.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also if you have root on a machine then you can easily (by unix sysadmin standards) put object storage on it but not vice versa. install minio and stick traefik in front of it w/ letsencrypt, now you've got self-hosted and API-compatible S3 buckets. the reason newer backup stuff uses object storage is because object storage is way cheaper than block storage even before you add vm time to the equation.

i think gnome-backup has an experimental restic backend as well. not sure i'd want to trust my backups to anything labelled "experimental" but then again people use btrfs itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

i think gnome-backup has an experimental restic backend as well. not sure i'd want to trust my backups to anything labelled "experimental" but then again people use btrfs itt
I mean as long as it's just running restic there probably isn't that much that can go wrong with it as aside from not running when you think it's running and if it breaks you can probably just use restrict directly so it's probably not as bad as it would be if it was an experimental backup program that was actually doing the backing up itself