Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To me it's like, if you wanted the Gas Masks the Armageddon Steel Legion was right there, and has a lot of history with the larger fiction anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like the chem dogs and similar sorts of regiments thematically, they seem like they'd be doable pretty easily with Necromunda bits mixed with Cadian and Kreig stuff a bit. Or loads of 3rd party stuff all mixed up. Doubt I'd ever actually go to the effort of doing it though.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 22, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Virtual Russian posted:

I always loved Steel legion and the Mordians, I've even got some epic Mordians printed, but not painted yet. The Vostroyans stole my heart though, the Blanche aesthetic is so strong, and they have that feudal look that screams 40k.

I think Krieg are just fine, but that is it. They lack any individuality and I can see how that appeals to people, but does nothing for me.

I wanted to paint my Kreig kill team like the steel legion but the appeal of making them 1914 French with le pantalon rouge was too strong

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Super Waffle posted:

Nearly done with my Warsmith, just needs a couple more cables to fill some gaps and a few more chaosy accoutrements.

Very excited to be finished with this dude, he's been a few months in the making and is my first step into 40k proper from kill team.

There should be laws against you people that are good with green stuff. I've never been able to master the stuff and it makes me jealous.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lostconfused posted:

Yep, that's space marines.

Space Marines are constantly getting into character squabbles, carving their names into history, and generally being heroes. Even the Ultramarines aren’t anonymous and replaceable infantry.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the Kill Team, does anyone have a guide to building characters and special units out of Veteran Guardsmen? I feel like I should be able to produce a number of Commissars, Snipers, and other minor characters (and Astra Militarum needs a ton of those, to heroically challenge much tougher enemies in close combat), but I was hoping someone else had already mapped out what could be built, which decisions would be mutually exclusive, etc.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol, this is just a modern Genestealer Cult mini

Kaal posted:

Space Marines are constantly getting into character squabbles, carving their names into history, and generally being heroes. Even the Ultramarines aren’t anonymous and replaceable soldiers.

They are on the tabletop.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lostconfused posted:

They are on the tabletop.

On the tabletop the Ultramarines have the most epic characters of any faction.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, this must be some space marine player thing. They all look the same to me.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

bird food bathtub posted:

There should be laws against you people that are good with green stuff. I've never been able to master the stuff and it makes me jealous.

The cables are made with this guy:

https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/roll-maker/69-roll-maker-tube-wire-machine.html

Get the bigger one; wish I had

Regarding Salvar Chem Dogs, the Vet Guard kit plus some heads and backpacks from Victoria Miniatures does a decent job:

https://victoriaminiatures.com/collections/heads/products/chem-mask-heads-x10

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 22, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Yep, that's space marines.

Not even close, Space Marines are a rapid assault force while Krieg are a much slower combined arms force that emphasizes artillery. 30k Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors fought in a way similar to Krieg but Imperial Fists are just a single chapter now and can't really do that while Iron Warriors have gone full on Daemon Engine monster mash. Plus both of them are way outside the aesthetic niche of what Krieg is doing.

Edit:

Jack B Nimble posted:

To me it's like, if you wanted the Gas Masks the Armageddon Steel Legion was right there, and has a lot of history with the larger fiction anyway.

Because Steel Legion looks a lot worse than Krieg and have an outsized focus on armor as opposed to the emphasis on infantry combined arms Krieg have.

Also despite the "nazi" accusations thrown at Krieg's aesthetic, the Steel Legion are way worse because they are literally the Wehrmacht.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 22, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The Indigan prefects and savlar chem dogs look cool, however the indigans look a little too similar to the Admech guys.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Vitrian Dragoons got some cool art once, also has that feudal sci-fi thing going.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

AnEdgelord posted:

Not even close, Space Marines are a rapid assault force while Krieg are a much slower combined arms force that emphasizes artillery. 30k Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors fought in a way similar to Krieg but Imperial Fists are just a single chapter now and can't really do that wh
ile Iron Warriors have gone full on Daemon Engine monster mash. Plus both of them are way outside the aesthetic niche of what Krieg is doing.

Edit:

Because Steel Legion looks a lot worse than Krieg and have an outsized focus on armor as opposed to the emphasis on infantry combined arms Krieg have.

Also despite the "nazi" accusations thrown at Krieg's aesthetic, the Steel Legion are way worse because they are literally the Wehrmacht.

The Nazi thing is unfortunate but I'd consider mechanized infantry a feature, not a bug. Admittedly a matter of preference, though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of the Kill Team, does anyone have a guide to building characters and special units out of Veteran Guardsmen? I feel like I should be able to produce a number of Commissars, Snipers, and other minor characters (and Astra Militarum needs a ton of those, to heroically challenge much tougher enemies in close combat), but I was hoping someone else had already mapped out what could be built, which decisions would be mutually exclusive, etc.

This is what I used for the Guardsmen. You'll want a second box eventually because while the list is technically 10 models, you can additionally take some mediocre artillery or 4 extra generic bodies and the boots on the ground are basically always better.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Old metal Tallarns (that I need to paint):

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The nazi accusations are avoidable if you don't paint your whole army in deatkorps drab with black helmets.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cessna posted:

Old metal Tallarns (that I need to paint):

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiii

Those're incredible!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

The Kreig dudes also look good with Cadian head swaps if you don't want to break up the uniformity of your army and just call them "Cadian Special Forces" or some poo poo.

Just call them hostile environment troopers, since there was an old FW resin upgrade for the old Cadian with respirators and enclosed helmets. :eng101:

Also I've spent a lot of time checking painting videos for uniform ideas, and I might've even found a fun one to try with my older Cadians.Just need to pick up some Vallejo paints.

And a slightly easy to do military green idea for my not-Raptors Marines.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jack B Nimble posted:

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiii

Those're incredible!

You should see my Sisters:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I managed to snag a new metal Warsmith model from the pop-up warham store at the Tampa US Open. Planning on using him as an Exalted Champion once I get to a 2k army (in a few years probably)

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Vitrian Dragoons got some cool art once, also has that feudal sci-fi thing going.

Well if we're on the subject of Guard regiments we wish existed, Risk Legacy of all things came up with this absolute banger of a uniform that's 40k as hell.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cessna posted:

I think there may be some confusion here. This hobby is a tabletop wargaming simulation. The models are supposed to have the weapons, not be the weapons with that much metal.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

Well if we're on the subject of Guard regiments we wish existed, Risk Legacy of all things came up with this absolute banger of a uniform that's 40k as hell.

Already got you covered:

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Miasman_Redcowls

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cessna posted:

give it a few years and they'll be the new Epic scale

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wow sisters were early enough to be in Pewter?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Virtual Russian posted:

I did end up grabbing some Cities of Sigmar Cavaliers to convert a Vostroyan Lord Solar, plus a little character pack for some extra officers. I'm nearing the end of the field gun and needed a new conversion project. Time to sculpt some bardiche!

I want to see how they end up for you! I've accidentally hyped myself up on the idea of a regiment from a low tech "medieval" world driving tanks around

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Al-Saqr posted:

Sisters came out in like 3rd ed then had nothing released until their plastic refresh.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cessna posted:

That is just an insane amount of Sisters for the period, good lord.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I've got pewter Tau kicking around.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey here's a question, how is it possible for Imotekh to be in a Civil War against Szarekh, isnt the silent king like a massive overlord-overrider or something?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

My personal goal is to get An Army (space marines) up to a painted 2k asap and then spend a long time hobbying up a lightly kit bashed custom guard army using some French Infantry and a sort of Valkyria Chronicles vibe. So, I'll be taking my time with them and begging the thread for advice when the moment comes.

That sounds rad, I've been mulling over doing up a Rogal Dorn as the Edelwiess for a while now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Krieg bodies make great Soviets with head swaps.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Al-Saqr posted:

There's a Sister (who is purging a Rainbow Warrior) in the Rogue Trader rulebook:

The metal Sisters came out in 2nd edition, with some new ones added in 3rd. Then nothing happened for a VERY long time until the new line came out a few years ago.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

hey here's a question, how is it possible for Imotekh to be in a Civil War against Szarekh, isnt the silent king like a massive overlord-overrider or something?

Imotekh doesn't give a poo poo about that. He's ruled arguably the largest most dominant awakened Dynasty since 781.M41 and has been the defacto leader of the Necrons as a whole for a long time before TSK decided to come back since many Dynasty's bow down to the Sautekh. He doesn't balk at the concept of civil war for the sake of uniting the Necrons under his banner.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
You know how World Eaters were new but ridiculously late in 9th edition before everything reset? Sisters were that for second edition.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Pete the Wargamer is kitbashing an entire Valhallan army out of plastic Krieg, old Cadian heads, and green stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19BRQT58pA&t=373s

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

AndyElusive posted:

Imotekh doesn't give a poo poo about that. He's ruled arguably the largest most dominant awakened Dynasty since 781.M41 and has been the defacto leader of the Necrons as a whole for a long time before TSK decided to come back since many Dynasty's bow down to the Sautekh. He doesn't balk at the concept of civil war for the sake of uniting the Necrons under his banner.

I thought the silent king literally built in mind control protocols during biotransference that allow him 100% control over other necrons though

Like a civil war shouldn't actually be possible since he'd just snap his fingers and peeps would kneel, even unwillingly, at his command.
Then again a lot can go wrong over 60 million years of degradation.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He smashed all that equipment before he hosed off into the void. Something like that, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The Demilich posted:

I thought the silent king literally built in mind control protocols during biotransference that allow him 100% control over other necrons though

Like a civil war shouldn't actually be possible since he'd just snap his fingers and peeps would kneel, even unwillingly, at his command.
Then again a lot can go wrong over 60 million years of degradation.

I think the Dias of Dominion has a limited range or you have to be physically connected to be controlled?

I wonder how the game stats of imotekh compare to szarekh and if they can go toe to toe probably not looking at the size difference lol.