Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Randalor posted:

We need a movie with Lucifer, Satan and Baphomet. Call it "The Three Devils". Netflix, where's my cheque?

Going by the Goetia there's about 4-12 devils so that has a lot of franchise potential..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Morpheus posted:

I liked the show but absolutely hated Sabrina. Half the problems were caused by some variation of her loving things up because she believes she's above it all.

Everyone: Hey Sabrina don't do X or everything gets hosed.
Sabrina: Surely it won't be so bad if I do X tee hee
Sabrina: *does X*
*everything gets hosed*

It became absolutely maddening when by the end of the show her arrogance was becoming apocalyptic and yet we were still supposed to root for her.

That's why I ended up quitting too. I really liked the actress, but I didn't like 1) how small-scale and powerless the Satan figure was, and 2) how Sabrina just kept thinking she was above the rules. I wouldn't have minded if it had happened once or twice. She's a teenager, she's arrogant, fine. But she *never loving learned*.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) has Max von Sydow (voice of the Devil in The Soldier's Tale (1984)), Victor Buono (the Devil in The Evil (1978)), Roddy McDowall (Mephistopheles in two episodes of Fantasy Island), and Donald Pleasence as Satan.

I'm not sure if four can be beaten, especially considering the quad is a movie about the life and ministry of Jesus Christ lmao

stringless has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Nov 21, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sabrina was the Legendary Super Satanist, right?

Taeke posted:

I liked that Supernatural used the plot device of multiple layers of reality and it being a story/tv show to break the fourth wall completely with the sole purpose of making GBS threads on everyone involved. The actors, the creators and especially the fans.

Normally when a show uses a hook like that to go meta they gently caress it up, but Supernatural just pointed at the worst aspects of making a tv show and especially the fans and basically chastised them for being lovely and/or gross.

And then they met Scooby-Doo!

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Biplane posted:

Sabrina was pretty good. Michelle Gomez was crazy good in it.
I'd watch her read the phonebook; big fan.

Morpheus posted:

... and yet we were still supposed to root for her.
We were? She was clearly the antagonist. Also, none of her human friends were very likable either.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sabrina was the Legendary Super Satanist, right?

She's literally the antichrist* at one point

*but in a good way

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Baron von Eevl posted:

She's literally the antichrist* at one point

*but in a good way

Sigh. Yes, we've all read Nietzsche.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Elissimpark posted:

Sigh. Yes, we've all read Nietzsche.

Speak for yourself

I read his Wikipedia page :smug:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Devil's Advocate movie was so awesome and perfect in pretty much every way but Satan clearly falls apart and overextends his hand really late in the game. News flash dude, I know you're evil and pretty much everyone working for your immoral lawyer pyramid is evil, but you need to slow seduce your son into becoming evil as well. It literally seems to take just a few days to have his wife go crazy, get her committed, and then get her killed. And in the same afternoon try to convince the shocked grieving son that he needs to get it on with his unknown sister. And oh, by the way your dad is Satan.

Like, the emperor didn't turn Anakin Skywalker evil over the course of a day or two. He had to build that poo poo up! And there was already a pretty big playing ground and foundation already there.

I mean we know he is just going to keep trying again if you watch the end of the movie, but it seems silly that he couldn't space this out over the course of a few weeks, or at the very least have the crazy wife be sent home. Evil cannot comprehend good or love, but that doesn't mean evil needs to be stupid and lazy!

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I remember Al Pacino ranting so much during the final act that his daughter at one point just tells him to shut up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Devil isn't exactly known for his good decision-making skills. That's kinda why he's in hell, after all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok but counterpoint, Charlize's hair.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watching The Killer again and my IIMM is how The Killer was able to procure a gun when he went to New York to take care of The Expert. I'm assuming he had a storage unit like he had in New Orleans. I guess my issue is that he flew to La Guardia which meant he had very strict TSA checkpoints instead of taking the train which would've been easier to smuggle one in.

Another IIMM is that the suppressors he uses have ported holes like a brake, which IMO is a poor trade off of muzzle flip for sound suppression.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't want to know how you know all this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suppressors work by basically catching the bang and holding on to it until it dissipates slowly. Like trying to sneak a fart out gently vs blasting rear end.

If you drill holes in it it doesn't do that very well.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Any time a movie shows me guns being shot with a silencer, they better sound like plnk plnk fsst tnk

We've come too far to abandon this way of cinema.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean we know he is just going to keep trying again if you watch the end of the movie, but it seems silly that he couldn't space this out over the course of a few weeks, or at the very least have the crazy wife be sent home. Evil cannot comprehend good or love, but that doesn't mean evil needs to be stupid and lazy!

Who knows how many times he has tried it though. The movie could be attempt number one billion and then and he's slowly finding the right approach. Maybe in the first few tries he just introduced himself as Satan to Lomax the first time they met.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
So why focus on this attempt? That would be a fun concept to play with though, like if they ever did a remake. Have a Groundhog's Day like montage and everything.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't want to know how you know all this.

Their username is a warning from the future.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Something I read on another site but:

In the Jackie Chan/Jaden Smith Karate Kid reboot, the film is set in China and the kid learns kung fu so it should be called the Kung Fu Kid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HopperUK posted:

how Sabrina just kept thinking she was above the rules. I wouldn't have minded if it had happened once or twice. She's a teenager, she's arrogant, fine. But she *never loving learned*.
Has this ever been done on purpose and well? A main character loving things up due to their own hubris but in a way that's enjoyable to watch and now that I type it out I realise I'm describing the first two seasons of You and also 90% of Greek mythology.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BiggerBoat posted:

In the Jackie Chan/Jaden Smith Karate Kid reboot, the film is set in China and the kid learns kung fu so it should be called the Kung Fu Kid.

I think that was a working title.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You know what, rolls off the tongue much better than The Karate Kid. Just a better title in my opinion .

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Splicer posted:

Has this ever been done on purpose and well? A main character loving things up due to their own hubris but in a way that's enjoyable to watch and now that I type it out I realise I'm describing the first two seasons of You and also 90% of Greek mythology.

The difference between something like Greek tragedy and Sabrina is that in Greek tragedy the story centers around the main character being undone by their flaw, while Sabrina centers around the main character succeeding despite her flaw, so she ends up coming across as a giant rear end in a top hat instead of a tragic hero and never seems to learn or get a deserved comeuppance.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm surprised Jackie Chan is still alive. Not because of his age, I just kinda assumed he would have died doing his own stunts by now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Randalor posted:

I'm surprised Jackie Chan is still alive. Not because of his age, I just kinda assumed he would have died doing his own stunts by now.

I mean he survived the 80's when he was doing his really crazy stuff, by the mid 90's when he started doing Hollywood stuff his stunts become far, far safer.

I still remember hearing him talk about how in one of his first Hollywood films the director comes up to him and asked him, 'oh hey how would you get up that wall' jackie says he looked at the wall a couple of seconds than did a typical Jackie Chan quick leap/climb thing up it. Director said, 'yep, perfect'. Then they spent the next six hours or so setting everything up so they could film him doing that and have it be up to Hollywood safety standards.

Not saying he didn't do some amazing and incredibly skillful work after that, but yeah from than on, but what he did do was orders of magnitude less risky. Jesus when you hear about how little safety prep was done on his crazy Honk Kong era stunts :gonk:

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The difference between something like Greek tragedy and Sabrina is that in Greek tragedy the story centers around the main character being undone by their flaw, while Sabrina centers around the main character succeeding despite her flaw, so she ends up coming across as a giant rear end in a top hat instead of a tragic hero and never seems to learn or get a deserved comeuppance.

What annoyed me about Sabrina is that it kept being called a 'spiritual successor to Buffy' when it's clearly completely different. Buffy is a supernatural teen drama, Sabrina is a wish-fullfilment young adult fantasy. Buffy fails her classes because she slept through trigonometry after staying up all night fighting vampires, causing a strained relationship with her mum and exile from the cool girls clique. Sabrina shows up to school on the first day and announces she's going to be prom queen despite no one having ever seen her before, and everyone goes 'uh OK I guess, you clearly are the most special'. Then she only turns up at the school if she has nothing more interesting going on.

Nothing necessarily wrong with a goofy fun show about a super special protagonist who effortlessly succeeds at everything and moves on to the next thing without consequences, but it's a million miles away from a teen drama about how much it sucks to be a teenager

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Randalor posted:

One story that sticks out in my head, and I made no effort to corroborate this then or now, was that at one point a doctor told Jackie "if you get one more concussion you will die."

When I read that, now, it sounds like baloney, but I wonder if there wasn't some underlying health condition, or the worry about CTE that caused Jackie to back off and be way safer.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Splicer posted:

Deadstream does a great job straddling the line between having an annoying protagonist that you still enjoy watching while he gets his poo poo pushed in by ghosts.

Come to think of it, there must be more haunted house movies where the protagonists are assholes you wanna see haunted. Slashers often fail when those people are too cartoonish and you are just going through the motions waiting for heads to roll.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grendels Dad posted:

Deadstream does a great job straddling the line between having an annoying protagonist that you still enjoy watching while he gets his poo poo pushed in by ghosts.

Come to think of it, there must be more haunted house movies where the protagonists are assholes you wanna see haunted. Slashers often fail when those people are too cartoonish and you are just going through the motions waiting for heads to roll.
The dad in the first season of American horror story. Some (but definitely not all) of del torros cabinet of curiosities

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

There’s this show called Breaking Bad that was pretty well liked

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Splicer posted:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Please don't make me read my own posts in Frasier's voice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

null_pointer posted:

One story that sticks out in my head, and I made no effort to corroborate this then or now, was that at one point a doctor told Jackie "if you get one more concussion you will die."

When I read that, now, it sounds like baloney, but I wonder if there wasn't some underlying health condition, or the worry about CTE that caused Jackie to back off and be way safer.

You're thinking of Reggie Ray from Not Another Teen Movie.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I couldn't get on board with the new Sabrina because the cat wasn't a wisecracking talking puppet

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

She makes perfect sense as a character that walks into a birthday party, says "this whole institution is lame I should also get a present whenever the birthday girl gets a present and my presents should be better" and then she does and we get a rousing goth girl rendition of I Love Rock and Roll as she walks triumphantly away from the party. Basically she was Eric Cartman but you weren't supposed to kinda hate her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

I think it's also the concept of House?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

null_pointer posted:

I think doctors just talk like that sometimes to put the fear into you. I knew a guy who was literally told by his doctor if he had one more drink he'd die. Would he have actually literally died if he consumed one more alcoholic beverage? Probably not, but he got sober and he's still alive where he probably wouldn't be if he hadn't stopped drinking. It's true in the sense that "if you don't stop now you'll never stop until it kills you."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think doctors just talk like that sometimes to put the fear into you. I knew a guy who was literally told by his doctor if he had one more drink he'd die. Would he have actually literally died if he consumed one more alcoholic beverage? Probably not, but he got sober and he's still alive where he probably wouldn't be if he hadn't stopped drinking. It's true in the sense that "if you don't stop now you'll never stop until it kills you."

Yeah, my uncle went hard into bad habits when he retired from the military and then he went to the doctor.

"Sir, how old are you again?"

"I'm 44."

"Do you want be 45?"

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

https://youtu.be/IYzIrLz6RA0?si=1MJiWU1gkapjCWsV