Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the fundraiser ad is playing pretty heavily on the 24/7 MST3K Shout channel. it's just Matt McGinnis with Joel popping in. there's a more produced ad for Turkey Day that's showing up as well (along with ads for the channel itself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't think anyone here isn't giving Joel any credit? :confused:

Oh, nobody here, to be clear. There's a lot of pure vitriol out there on the internet and in particular a lot of it on MST3K's own forums when the original relaunch season aired.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Have they done any cross promotions with any yt streamers?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onWP0a6oRMM

Live Watch now on 'The Mask'.

Joel said a few movies that I don't think are announced.
Abraxas, Ballista (not sure on spelling), and Battle Truck.

FFS some one win the lottery please quick to fund this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You'd think there would be at least one or two tech bro billionaires(or maybe a Saudi prince) who are big enough fans of the show to just give them a blank check

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Maybe Seinfeld will give up on that series continuation none of his co-stars ever heard of and give Joel some big bucks.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I still think they should have done a watch-along of Munchie. Not saying it would have put them over the top, but it couldn't have hurt.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 22, 2023

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onWP0a6oRMM

Live Watch now on 'The Mask'.

Joel said a few movies that I don't think are announced.
Abraxas, Ballista (not sure on spelling), and Battle Truck.

FFS some one win the lottery please quick to fund this.

I think Rifftrax did Abraxas and its tailor made for the MST treatment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TL posted:

I think Rifftrax did Abraxas and its tailor made for the MST treatment.

Yeah, especially for people from Minnesota there's a lot mileage to be get out of it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If I ever win the Powerball I'm spending most of it on MST3K.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That and mst3k themed affordable housing projects

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Gizmonic Heights

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Keep one of the apartments in the center of the building for yourself, hook up a projector and sound system, and once a week play bad movies against the neighbouring building to see if you can break your building full of test subjects. :devil:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This looks like just what Joel was trying to avoid with the Gizmodoplex. He foresaw that they couldn't crowdfund each new season forever, but the pivot didn't work and now they're having to go back to a dry well.

I imagine they're gonna hit the minimum on this one, and then have to shutter for a couple of years and retool. They'll probably lose the cast. Maybe they can restart the live shows or make some new pitches to networks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

This looks like just what Joel was trying to avoid with the Gizmodoplex. He foresaw that they couldn't crowdfund each new season forever, but the pivot didn't work and now they're having to go back to a dry well.

I imagine they're gonna hit the minimum on this one, and then have to shutter for a couple of years and retool. They'll probably lose the cast. Maybe they can restart the live shows or make some new pitches to networks.

I mean, the ending of S13 does at least provide them with an excuse in the off chance they can’t get everyone back

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
How well would MST3K work now that the streaming platforms have matured? The main advantage they had was filling up network time on channels that needed something on air & that need is mostly gone. People don't watch old programming either even if it's right there for eyeballs to view. The stigma of puppets=kids=crap TV hasn't gone away and likely has increased (The Muppets just had their Disney+ show cancelled).

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

PostNouveau posted:

They'll probably lose the cast.

Other than Joel and Emily I'd LOVE for them to lose the cast. Please get these famous people out of my MST3k.

My unlikely wishlist for this show:

- Physical sets that feel they have dimension like in the old show. Even the netflix set felt kinda flat somehow?
- Bots that 'feel' like the Kevin Murphy/Bill Corbett bots. Maybe not impersonations but at least consistent characterization and voices that have similar registers.
- Make GPC dumb again. Name is fine but that character was so endearing and now it's just 'girl' which tbh kind of defeats the purpose of the change. There's also a perfectly good lore reason for her dumbness.
- New mads that aren't famous but just really funny individuals with excellent chemistry.

I think the writing has been pretty great.

I hope they pull off reaching their goal or have a contingency plan because I'd of course rather not-ideal MST than no MST. :smith:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I didn’t mind Jonah to be honest but yeah, he’s kind of run his course at this point. As I’ve said before, an Emily season could probably be a lot of fun

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gaspy Conana posted:

- New mads that aren't famous but just really funny individuals with excellent chemistry.

I mean, they could probably get the Mads back. Mary Jo Pehl?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, they could probably get the Mads back. Mary Jo Pehl?

She already came back for all of Season 13 after all (plus a few cameos in 11 and 12), making her one of the (if not the only) few consistent actors for a large portion of the show

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 22, 2023

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Other than Joel and Emily I'd LOVE for them to lose the cast. Please get these famous people out of my MST3k.

- Physical sets that feel they have dimension like in the old show. Even the netflix set felt kinda flat somehow?
- Bots that 'feel' like the Kevin Murphy/Bill Corbett bots. Maybe not impersonations but at least consistent characterization and voices that have similar registers.
- Make GPC dumb again. Name is fine but that character was so endearing and now it's just 'girl' which tbh kind of defeats the purpose of the change. There's also a perfectly good lore reason for her dumbness.

I think the writing has been pretty great.

I hope they pull off reaching their goal or have a contingency plan because I'd of course rather not-ideal MST than no MST. :smith:

Yeah I'd cosign all of this. A thing that bugs me a little bit and maybe I'm just being really picky and I only notice this because I was told it, but I don't love that the actors aren't doing the puppeteering. Bill isn't as handy a guy as Trace is, but after a few episodes he figured out how to make Crow emotive anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Update from Joel.

quote:

Greetings, MSTies!

Thanksgiving is nearly upon us, and I want to get a little serious for a minute.

We’ve done some intense talking and planning over the last few days around here. Despite our collective efforts, it's obvious that the current campaign – at the current goals – is struggling to succeed, and that while there is still demand for more MST3K, it is not currently strong enough to overcome some real challenges:

We spent most of this campaign – the planning and the campaign itself – honoring the WGA and SAG strikes, which made it impossible to involve most of the people our backers would want to hear from: our cast and characters.

For reasons we regret but accept responsibility for, we know that many backers of the former campaign were justifiably upset about the delays and unexpected additional costs of getting rewards from the last campaign.

Our original budget goal reflected our desire to take a specific approach to producing the show. But, as it has become clear to us that enough support isn't there right now, we've had a series of hard conversations and examined where we could cut every possible corner from the budget, while still being able to make a version of the show that you – and we – would find satisfying and entertaining.

We've reached a number of compromises that we’d hoped to avoid, but, if pushed to make a decision, we would rather make than abandon the show's future altogether.

There are two changes, in particular, that I want to outline for you:

First, while I had hoped to produce the entire season where I and the staff at Alternaversal live, in Pennsylvania, one of our producers has calculated that we can save a significant amount by shooting the show in Los Angeles, where most of our cast is based, and where there is a much larger (and more competitive) pool of creative talent to work with. Most assume that shooting in LA would be more expensive…but it turns out, that it’s less.

You all know how involved I like to be in the small details of costumes, props, etc, so I hope you understand that this is a significant compromise in how I'd hoped to make the show. I will still work with all of those teams remotely, but it will be a different experience than if we were able to do a lot of this work locally, as we did during the last 3 seasons.

But – I trust that our production designers are so good, and we'll find such good vendors to work with on the west coast, that I'm confident we can handle this approach.

Second, while our team at Alternaversal / Gizmonic Arts has benefited enormously from the chance to have a physical office space and workshop, and to be able to work together in person over the last few seasons, we recognize that if production is happening on the west coast, we can save a significant additional amount by giving up our offices and workshop, and having our entire team work remotely.

If we make these two changes, along with a few smaller ones, we are able to trim almost $800,000 from the budget, bringing the total cost of 6 episodes down to $4 million – a goal that might still be a challenge difficult to reach, but is far closer than $4.8m.

I want to emphasize that we are still committed to better compensating everyone involved, as described with a five percent pay increase to accommodate the cost of living for our vendors, and writers, and performers.

I also want to confirm that we remain committed to moving back to “in camera” physical sets for the host segments. (As you know, we used greenscreens for the backgrounds in Season 13 on account of COVID, and uncertainty of where we would be able to shoot the show.)

I imagine that some of you will wonder, if we're able to make these cuts and compromises now, why we didn't make them during our original discussions before launching this crowdfunding campaign. It's a fair question, and the answer is: we really hoped that these kinds of compromises wouldn't be necessary. Now that it's clear that they are, we've discussed them, and are prepared to make them for the good of the show.

I know this is a lot of news to digest, and I hope this adjustment can help us get to our goal.

tl;dr: They're scaling back their goals and if you read between the lines, they're praying for an angel investment.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Still a long way to go. They’re just under 50% of the new goal. But it does seem to have caused a major surge in donations already. It’s still a longshot, but it looks a little better than it did an hour ago.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
its 2023 and joel is just discovering there are economies of scale from producing media in LA lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They should add a new stretch goal: Explain why Nate Begle was completely erased from the show out of the blue.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
While I'm sure he's right about LA, I still think that's too lofty for where MST3K is right now. They don't need, nor can afford 'talent'. Just get random Midwesterners and go with it. RLM it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sardonik posted:

While I'm sure he's right about LA, I still think that's too lofty for where MST3K is right now. They don't need, nor can afford 'talent'. Just get random Midwesterners and go with it. RLM it.

I think part of it is that since they want to go back to physical sets for the host segments, it makes sense to do it in LA, where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some random prop house full of off-the-shelf junk that's cheap to rent.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Gaspy Conana posted:

They're going back to physical sets for sure. Joel has said this several times, and even in the "we're going to cut corners" Email that just came out, he said they're sticking to the plan of physical sets.

I think the new bots are fine. Baron Vaughn nails Servo's style and has a wonderful singing voice. New-new-Crow took some getting used to, but it doesn't bother me at all now.

I don't like the idea of making GPC dumb again. She was the only female character for the first several years of the original series, and even then it was a bad look for the only woman on the show to be almost non-verbally stupid (and also voiced by a man).

New mads wouldn't bother me. The current ones are good, but they're both big enough names that even if they're settling for SAG minimums, their schedules might be an issue. I don't know how much of the first revival season's host segment issues were specifically caused by the Mads' schedules, but it probably didn't help.

Sardonik posted:

Union stuff makes this more difficult than it sounds.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't like the idea of making GPC dumb again. She was the only female character for the first several years of the original series, and even then it was a bad look for the only woman on the show to be almost non-verbally stupid (and also voiced by a man).

Union stuff makes this more difficult than it sounds.

Dumb GPC would convince me to stop supporting the show entirely and buy more Rifftrax to go along with my monthly Mads habit. It was kind of a dumb decision to have GPC as she was for as long as they did, and that one sketch where she's operating at full capacity just illustrated that point. She was no Gracie Allen. I think she works best in the original series when she gets to be the smart one (like in the "Noh Theater" sketch) and the "voiced by a man" thing was never really excusable after KTMA. (She was no "Miss Piggy" either.)

And I suspect people just don't grasp the difference between "employees at a local TV station double as performers in cheap show with zero union labor" and "2023 streaming TV production." Even if this fundraiser fails, over 11,000 MST3K fans were willing to pledge $2 million to get more episodes. "Let's hire a teenager and pay him peanuts to save costs" isn't something you do if you have a choice. It can be something that happens if you started out with no budget and never got around to being union. But none of the producers are broke 30-year-olds this time out, and the show isn't operating on the "hire all the people you know from the local stand-up scene" model any more either.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Ok, well at least give her something. They could play more with the already-established "GPC is using all of her brain juice running the ship, hence dumb" thing and have her switch between being hyper-intelligent and mega stupid in equal measure. Plenty of comedic potential there. Presently she's a nothingburger.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I don't think they're gonna make this one without a streamer stepping in and picking them up. Is that what happened with Netflix?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Murdstone posted:

I don't think they're gonna make this one without a streamer stepping in and picking them up. Is that what happened with Netflix?

Netflix picked them up after the original Kickstarter was finished, but it was explicitly part of the plan that time to sell the season to a network or streaming service after raising the money.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Timby posted:

They should add a new stretch goal: Explain why Nate Begle was completely erased from the show out of the blue.

He just did an interview where he says it was because he wanted to be with his family after his kid was born and couldn’t commit to any work projects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp96TxjZ-yQ

I don’t know why they couldn’t just say that and why that would require him to erase all his social media, but it’s what he’s saying. I strongly prefer that to be true over either him doing something bad or him having something tragic happen, which is what everyone was thinking. Another possibility I didn’t consider until recently is that he was not fairly compensated or Alternaversal messed with the terms of his contract, but given how they’ve been acting, maybe they do jerk the talent around.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I hope it’s as simple as he’s saying, but given the way he was memory-holed, I have trouble buying that that’s actually the whole story.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I hope it’s nothing scummy, he’s very talented and was a drat good Crow.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

When they announced the movies for season 13 it turned out I had already seen like half of them. So I tried to will season 14 into being last night by watching Deathsport and...that's gonna be a tough one. It's not just cheap and poorly made, it's full of weird sci-fi ideas that aren't explained. Also a major plot point drops during a scene full of full-frontal nudity, so they'll probably have to do some Sidehackers-style cutting around that. But at least it does feature an attempt at ripping off the Death Star trench run sequence with motorcycles.

So now I've seen everything intended so far for season 14 except "Ballistica," which I'm pretty sure isn't real anyway. If things start to look really bad toward the end of the marathon I might force myself to watch it as a "rally cap" type situation, but I hope I don't have to.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its 2023 and joel is just discovering there are economies of scale from producing media in LA lol

I'm not a big MST3k fan but I have watched everything they put out since they came back. One thing I notice is that compared to Rifftrax, business wise is run much more lax which I think actually dampens fans want for more. In comparison, Rifftrax is able to pump out and promote content constantly, while making people feel like they are apart of something. Joel needs a business manager badly, or maybe a merger and let Mike run the business aspect. It's just not going to work in the long term, though Joel had good intentions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

UnleashedDad posted:

I'm not a big MST3k fan but I have watched everything they put out since they came back. One thing I notice is that compared to Rifftrax, business wise is run much more lax which I think actually dampens fans want for more. In comparison, Rifftrax is able to pump out and promote content constantly, while making people feel like they are apart of something. Joel needs a business manager badly, or maybe a merger and let Mike run the business aspect. It's just not going to work in the long term, though Joel had good intentions.

Rifftrax is much, much easier to produce since there's no sets or costumes or cameras, just a recording booth.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I didn't see it mentioned, so here's the episode list for the marathon:

Thursday 11/23

9AM ET/6AM PT: Bride Of The Monster

11AM ET/8AM PT: The Pumaman (Surgically Enhanced)

1PM ET/10AM PT: Escape 2000

3PM ET/12PM PT: Beyond Atlantis

5PM ET/2PM PT: The Beatniks

7PM ET/4PM PT: Viking Women and the Sea Serpent

9PM ET/6PM PT: The Giant Gila Monster

11PM ET/8PM PT: The Starfighters (Surgically Enhanced)

Friday 11/24

1AM ET/10PM PT: Munchie

3AM ET/12AM PT: Master Ninja II

5AM ET/2AM PT: Catalina Caper (Surgically Enhanced)

7AM ET/4AM PT: Operation Kid Brother

9AM ET/6AM PT: The Bubble

11AM ET/8AM PT: Time Chasers

1PM ET/10AM PT: Horror Of Party Beach (Surgically Enhanced)

3PM ET/12PM PT: Prince Of Space

5PM ET/2PM PT: Dr. Mordrid

7PM ET/4PM PT: Girl In Gold Boots

9PM ET/6PM PT: Stranded In Space

11PM ET/8PM PT: Gorgo

Saturday 11/25

1AM ET/10PM PT: Santo in the Treasure of Dracula

3AM ET/12AM PT: Santa Claus Conquers The Martians

5AM ET/2AM PT: Santa Claus

7AM ET/4AM PT: The Christmas Dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Weird that they're ending it early on Saturday morning.

I guess they're not going to do any telethon-style things like they did in the past. The original one got a ton of extra Kickstarter funding in the final hours; it basically paid for 3 extra episodes.