Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYoOP2cEhUE

it's pretty good. definitely unfinished but it's neat to play what they'd completed cause it's the closest you'll ever get to a rakugaki showtime singleplayer adventure mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah but when the violins come in during the battle theme it’s pretty sweet.

I never said and will never say a word against the soundtrack.

Kild posted:

Did you not do the C'ieth missions? Or even worse... did them all post game?

By the time I got to Gran Pulse I really just wanted to finish the game. Most FFs are sidequest heavy at the end but there's usually some distribution and FF13 is a very good example of why.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Im still sad they had to cancel that... gba? remake/collection of the gb mega man games because they lost the source code

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Tequila Bob posted:

If they re-release XIII, I have 3 demands:

1. Emphasize XIII-2 and LR on the game selection screen. I love XIII but the sequels are so much better. Guide players to the good parts!
2. Restore the Japanese role names, instead of the CoD-wannabe junk like "synergist".
3. Though it makes no sense, have an option to bring all of LR's roles and costumes into the earlier games in place of the six roles. This won't happen, I just want to imagine it.

4. Include Type-0 and its mangas, since they're part of the worldbuilding too.
5. Include Mystic Quest, loudly asserting that it is also part of Fabula Nova Crystalis.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
type 0 is an underrated contender in the soundtrack rankings

https://youtu.be/bww69LtshM0?si=7uveHPx86okYZg9z

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I didn't play it but its songs really stood out to me in FBL enough to consider it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4s2WYCmMH8

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

culturally important: i like it and my friends like it

no cultural impact: girls like it

Why did you bring sex or gender into a discussion of Final Fantasy X, a game with a huge female banse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite Bandai Namco moment is how they handled the idolmaster sidem, the boy idol spinoff of idolmaster

the sidem mobile game releases in 2014. it is very successful.
in 2017 they announce an anime and a new game, live on stage. live on stage is jank as hell and not very successful. it dies in 2021.
also in 2021 they release a new game to replace it, growing stars. it is much better received.
in january 2023 they kill off the original 2014 game, saying growing stars is the future of the franchise.
in july 2023 they kill off growing stars. this brings the total number of existent sidem video games, to 0.
in august 2023 they announce an idolmaster crossover arcade game that includes the sidem guys.

???????

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Why did you bring sex or gender into a discussion of Final Fantasy X, a game with a huge female banse.
drat... dont think i missed this typo. nikkolas king, the failed former mod, can not type 'female' without subconsciously adding 'bans' to the end of it... have you ever seen such a blatant subconscious admission of bias?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Why is this thread so loving weird

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

If they re-release XIII, I have 3 demands:

1. Emphasize XIII-2 and LR on the game selection screen. I love XIII but the sequels are so much better. Guide players to the good parts!
2. Restore the Japanese role names, instead of the CoD-wannabe junk like "synergist".
3. Though it makes no sense, have an option to bring all of LR's roles and costumes into the earlier games in place of the six roles. This won't happen, I just want to imagine it.

Apparently the idea behind the role name change is that the names were supposed to sound exotic/cool in Japanese (since they were all English) and they tried to carry that over in localization by choosing fancier words.

Which is weird considering it is a game where half the cast has English Words as their literal names. (In fact everyone but Sazh i think.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mr E posted:

why are you reading a thread on somethingawful in 2023 and expecting normalcy

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mr E posted:

People in it play RPGs a lot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr E posted:

i know, the tragedy of the idolmaster sidem makes you feel like youre living in unreality

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mr E posted:

People with E in their user names can't help it.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

disposablewords posted:

and thats why im the true moral center of the thread

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just wanted to chime in that I didn't like FFXIII either (except the music, and Lightning Returns somewhat). I agree that some of my feelings on it, like how I didn't enjoy how linear it felt, might seem quite silly since I did enjoy FFX which has a very similar linearity. I didn't like the combat either and how slowly it introduced new mechanics, which is weird because many other of my favorites like FF6 took their time too and were very simple attack/cure-spammy. All I can say is that it's what I felt, no matter how illogical it may seem: there was obviously something subtle that FFX and FF6 were doing that I don't quite have the knowledge or insight to explain that FFXIII lacked to capture my attention. Perhaps the story or atmosphere was doing the heavy lifting to distract me? A lot of shooters, when boiled down to gray boxes, can just be boring hallways over and over, but when the designers choose to say, put the fight onto a moving train, it can seem more exciting even if it is just subtle smoke and mirrors and you're still technically in a hallway: all just part of the magic. For some reason or other, I didn't see FFX as a hallway when FFXIII seemed like it immediately.

On another topic, have people here played Vaporum and Vaporum Lockdown? Wondering if a) they are basically steampunk Grimrock and b) whether I should skip straight to Lockdown.

Huh, writing this I realized this is actually kind of similar: I never finished Grimrock 1 because I got bored of the dungeon, but I loved the hell out of Grimrock 2. Technically they both are just hallways, but through Grimrock 2 changing the graphics to make it look like a big world, it seemed more exciting and kept my attention. Maybe I'm just a fool that gets distracted by jangling keys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway genuinely nikkolas ive seen you say multiple times that like, ff15 or 13 didnt sustain longterm fanbases or didnt have much impact so im not saying 'you hate thing girls like' exactly but i do think you genuinely have a blindspot when it comes to like, stuff where the fanbase is almost entirely female. like ff10 has a huge female fanbase ofc but guys like it too. with ff13/15 those are cases where basically the entire hardcore fanbase is female, there are vanishingly few dudes out there writing ff15 fanfic. not that there arent male fans but like theres fans and then theres *fans8 yknow

this is both a bit gender diagnostic and reductive but idk, its frustrating and weird every time you come out with an authoritative opinion like that thats blatantly untrue and yet stated as fact and its pretty consistently in that direction.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am enjoying In Stars And Time still. The backtracking is a bit annoying but the game is also really good about having a lot of different interactions when you backtrack so it gets less tedious. There's like an entire random zone where your party bumps into each other while going back and forth that has a different interaction each time I've done it so far.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the ci’eth missions are a single text box apiece as a pretense for more combat. 95% of the game is combat - no resource management and minimal character building outside the postgame, scarcely any incidental dialogue or interaction, and a setting that’s about as immersive as the scenery outside a tram ride. just one combat encounter after another for 30 hours. that can get wearying fast

16’s endless procession of bandits made me want to shove my head through a window but at least I was able to check all the ambient dialogue updates to come up for air

what

A Sometimes Food posted:

I never said and will never say a word against the soundtrack.

By the time I got to Gran Pulse I really just wanted to finish the game. Most FFs are sidequest heavy at the end but there's usually some distribution and FF13 is a very good example of why.

lol @ there's no side content and also I skipped it all???

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Is everyone like... doing ok.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its also weird to say mgs2 didnt have a lasting impact or fanbase when basically half of MGS discussion from 2016-2020 was 'drat MGS2 basically predicted the future'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i will saythat i dont think ff13 is flawless. for instance the early areas of ffx are very varied (modern city, cliffs, underwater, forest) while in ff13 its motly just various sci-fi urban areas and the crystal zones. i also think the introduction lacks an immediate sense of what you're doing and why. it shows the rebellion stuff and the conflict but both ff6 and ff7, which are hitting similar notes, start with immediate smallscale objectives that you achieve and that then build on top of each other, while ff13 is a lot of running away to nowhere in particular. i think those are all fair criticisms of the intro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

also i will saythat i dont think ff13 is flawless. for instance the early areas of ffx are very varied (modern city, cliffs, underwater, forest) while in ff13 its motly just various sci-fi urban areas and the crystal zones. i also think the introduction lacks an immediate sense of what you're doing and why. it shows the rebellion stuff and the conflict but both ff6 and ff7, which are hitting similar notes, start with immediate smallscale objectives that you achieve and that then build on top of each other, while ff13 is a lot of running away to nowhere in particular. i think those are all fair criticisms of the intro.

I think you can do the 'running away' thing better but at very least for Sazh and Vanille I think a major problem is that they are Just Running without a real goal which makes things kind of meander, compared to Lightning and Hope who are at least going towards their goals.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

disposablewords posted:

I thought I was gonna get to go "ah-HA!" for a second before I remembered how to spell "game"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gamers i have a noob confession, in all the times I've played super mario rpg i was never really able to parse what hinopio/cinder toad was supposed to look like but now I've met him in the remake and my god.... he's a freaking turbochad

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
ff13 in the aggregate is certainly not horrendously worse than other ff games. but the cultural well around it has been truly and probably irrevocably poisoned so no ones allowed to just like or not like it in a normal way cuz people will just come in and lie about poo poo lol. the game is bad because hallways, unlike my favorite game of all time, final fantasy x. the game is bad because of the writing that i deliberately didnt read. the game is bad because of the mechanics i choose to ignore. etc etc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

what, what

I stated a fact. 13’s only side content is the ci’eth missions and they can barely be called that because they’re the same combat encounters that make up the rest of the gameplay. it’d be like if 15’s hunts didn’t have fishing or whatever the hell pitioss was to balance it out

when most people think of side content they picture gameplay that diverges from the standard mechanics to provide a breather or other contrast. 13 has no contrast. it’s nothing but combat, with the bare minimum of context

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

its also weird to say mgs2 didnt have a lasting impact or fanbase when basically half of MGS discussion from 2016-2020 was 'drat MGS2 basically predicted the future'

You skipped ahead to 2016 when discussing a game from 2001. Are you perhaps leaving out the decade of frothing hatred for MGS2? A hatred so intense that the made Raiden into a gay joke in 3 and massively changed his character in 4. Believe me, I'm very happy attitudes have changed but as someone talking MGS for years and years, it was a long, painful road to get to a general appreciation for MGS2. This is not just "some people online in small pockets hated it" like with FFXIII. Raikov attests to how much that popular hatred very much reached all the way to the creators.

MGS3, meanwhile, was an instant classic from its release. It never did MGS2's sales but it was and remains far more popular. I think that's safe to say.

Endorph posted:

anyway genuinely nikkolas ive seen you say multiple times that like, ff15 or 13 didnt sustain longterm fanbases or didnt have much impact so im not saying 'you hate thing girls like' exactly but i do think you genuinely have a blindspot when it comes to like, stuff where the fanbase is almost entirely female. like ff10 has a huge female fanbase ofc but guys like it too. with ff13/15 those are cases where basically the entire hardcore fanbase is female, there are vanishingly few dudes out there writing ff15 fanfic. not that there arent male fans but like theres fans and then theres *fans8 yknow

this is both a bit gender diagnostic and reductive but idk, its frustrating and weird every time you come out with an authoritative opinion like that thats blatantly untrue and yet stated as fact and its pretty consistently in that direction.

We were talking about FFX and FFXII. I was pointing out that sales do not alone equal impact. Just because they have comparable sales does not mean they had comparable popularity. I think I have more than enough polling data to prove this claim and that is the only claim I was making here.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 22, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Is Final Fantasy Blackmoon Prophecy any good? Looks like UPRC is gearing up for the very final update, which mostly retunes the balancing in the first 12-15 hours, and just like Another Crusade I feel a sinister compulsion to check it out before they can fix the difficulty progression.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

what, what

I stated a fact. 13’s only side content is the ci’eth missions and they can barely be called that because they’re the same combat encounters that make up the rest of the gameplay. it’d be like if 15’s hunts didn’t have fishing or whatever the hell pitioss was to balance it out

when most people think of side content they picture gameplay that diverges from the standard mechanics to provide a breather or other contrast. 13 has no contrast. it’s nothing but combat, with the bare minimum of context

The vast majority of FF side content is more fighting. Like prior to FF7 the franchise wasn't exactly overwhelmed with minigames and even once they introduce Triple Triad or whatever the bulk of content is optional fights for stronger gear and equipment.

Like hell, FF5 basically has nothing but optional fights outside of its main story and people like it for that because there are a lot of different things to throw your character builds at! FF12 has like two minigames and then nothing but hunts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rare guy who wants more ffx thunder plains

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

rare guy who wants more ffx thunder plains

Or to be more generous, more snowboarding/motorbikes chases/squat classes?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Even in ff7, the best side content to get rewards from is the arena fighter in the gold saucer. Even at mini game city the real meet is the build tester.

Like the motor bike section and snowboarding section are...4 minutes of content 25 hours apart.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The vast majority of FF side content is more fighting. Like prior to FF7 the franchise wasn't exactly overwhelmed with minigames and even once they introduce Triple Triad or whatever the bulk of content is optional fights for stronger gear and equipment.

Like hell, FF5 basically has nothing but optional fights outside of its main story and people like it for that because there are a lot of different things to throw your character builds at! FF12 has like two minigames and then nothing but hunts.

there’s also, as I said, no resource management (“but that never mattered anyway” I don’t care shut the gently caress up we’re still stating facts), no character beats outside of a handful of ambient lines per zone, no environmental transversal or really context for that environment except as a backdrop for combat. it’s like a turn-based final fight game in the narrowness of its scope

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

ff13 in the aggregate is certainly not horrendously worse than other ff games. but the cultural well around it has been truly and probably irrevocably poisoned so no ones allowed to just like or not like it in a normal way

This would be a much better point

quote:

cuz people will just come in and lie about poo poo lol. the game is bad because hallways, unlike my favorite game of all time, final fantasy x. the game is bad because of the writing that i deliberately didnt read. the game is bad because of the mechanics i choose to ignore. etc etc

Or I guess you kinda proved your point about no one being able to like or dislike it normally.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

avoraciopoctules posted:

Is Final Fantasy Blackmoon Prophecy any good? Looks like UPRC is gearing up for the very final update, which mostly retunes the balancing in the first 12-15 hours, and just like Another Crusade I feel a sinister compulsion to check it out before they can fix the difficulty progression.

Oh man, I'm digging into the RMN page, and I hadn't realized this started development in 2003. It's a straight up 20 year megaproject.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxxidation posted:

there’s also, as I said, no resource management (“but that never mattered anyway” I don’t care shut the gently caress up we’re still stating facts), no character beats outside of a handful of ambient lines per zone, no environmental transversal or really context for that environment except as a backdrop for combat. it’s like a turn-based final fight game in the narrowness of its scope
You can try and slap away the direct counter to your argument but that doesn't make it true.

Hell the tent at save system in them (starting in at latest ff4) and tents being both cheap and sold everywhere meant there never really was any. FfX and 12 just deciding to full heal you automatically at save stations really was cutting out the vestigial middle man and 13 going even further means they could make normal fights actually hit you for real damage.

Honestly 13-3 has more resource management than the rest of the franchise.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Colonel posted:

why are you reading a thread on somethingawful in 2023 and expecting normalcy

I’m not I’m just asking why. To be clear I am also weird and fully admit this.

Anyway I think I’m gonna play mother 3 finally after appreciating its music for years and replaying earthbound recently. Also thinking about playing the tactics ogre remake since I haven’t played since the psp release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Well, that's Live A Live down. Not a bad game, but I am still glad I got it through GameFly. It's not one I plan to revisit, as I don't particularly care enough to fight the secret bosses or get any other endings. But still, it was a fun romp with good music.