Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Eglamore looks different than I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

There Bias Two posted:

I hope that the chapter end mark doesn't mean that we're going to cut away from this scene at the worst possible time.
Hey what's Lana up to. Or Shell and Aata. We should check in on them and Loup for a while.

Randalor posted:

Oh hi Kat.

So is this her as the Divine Goddess Of The Machine made manifest, or did she just make herself a giant mecha suit
"Or"?
I'm hoping for something like "Hey guys I looked into this ether stuff and slapped a quick and easy enchantment on my jacket. Why, what are you seeing?"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tiny Myers posted:

I think now that we're seeing what the glass cracking was all about. It's Kat's influence on the ether, causing it to break down around her, which is apparently causing reality itself to crack open (or something) perhaps due to the ether-heavy poo poo that's going on with Zimmy and Coyote, or perhaps because Kat's ascension is finally happening thus amplifying the power by several magnitudes (which explains why it's getting progressively worse in the last few strips). Either way something cool is happening yaaaaay

All this reality cracking might be how Kat kills Zimmy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

Hey what's Lana up to. Or Shell and Aata. We should check in on them and Loup for a while.

You know which fan favorite character hasn't been around in a while? Boxbot! Settle in for a full 5 chapters worth of high-quality Boxbot material! Coming Monday: Gunnerkrigg Court: The Boxbot Saga!

quote:

"Or"?
I'm hoping for something like "Hey guys I looked into this ether stuff and slapped a quick and easy enchantment on my jacket. Why, what are you seeing?"

I want a giant mecha vs kaiju Coyote fight.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks everyone for being the oil dipstick of Gunnerkriggs' goodness for the last year. I'll pop my head back in again after awhile.

Actually follow-up question, is Gunnerkrigg ending soon? I do intend on finishing it, just not update after update finish.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Donkringel posted:

Actually follow-up question, is Gunnerkrigg ending soon? I do intend on finishing it, just not update after update finish.

Everyone seems to think so but then things just keep gooooooing. So it's really impossible to say.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Everyone seems to think so but then things just keep gooooooing. So it's really impossible to say.

I think it's just going to end really abruptly with a million things left unaddressed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gunnerkrigg Court is like Order of the Stick at this point where the plot only advances every few weeks, the difference being that Rich Burlew only updates once every few weeks, while Tom produces weeks worth of filler in between.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

So aside from these last few pages this chapter was entirely filler, huh?

I get the feeling that he had this image in his mind of Kat kramering into the scene in this form but probably not how to get there exactly. Like the star ocean sequence that was pretty striking was a thing he probably had also planned for a while. A lot of folks write that sort of way. So if those parts were rehearsed in his mind but not the steps up to them that were more rushed then it would explain it.

I still find it hilarious that Annie killed a guy because she remembered a traumatic memory at a bad time. Unless it's to make up a reason for Kat to be mad at Annie or something, he could have literally chosen any other way for the first robot person to die.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tiny Myers posted:

However if the next chapter cuts to normal-Kat once again in a generic room talking about how boring it is that she gets the short end of the Ether stick while everyone around her cowers in fear, I will riot

"It's weird how Kat showing up made all the Zimmy/Coyote weirdness just stop, huh? It's great that Lana was found safe and sound though, Loup is so much calmer now"

I'm glad the "oh no I'm rereading the interesting bits" was immediately halted by Annie being "oh no surely he wouldn't" about Tony and remembering The Mind Cage is what's at the end of that particular plot beat

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

One thing we can count on no matter what: it is always Annie’s fault, for being too emotional/too cold.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
It would’ve been more fun if we skipped this chapter—Lana got eaten and then Kat got summoned immediately in robot god form, completely confused as to what was going on

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As time goes on, I think the main problem with this comic is that Tom is fundamentally not interested in the same things his readers are. We all love the silly robots and the slice of life and the mysteries, but he's (now) more interested in telling stories about Tony's mind cage, Loup + Lana, and the robots becoming human. And unfortunately, he's writing plot checks he just can't cash, due to either not being good at writing some of these things (see: Tony) or just him honestly becoming disinterested in certain plotlines and themes, so he just cuts them off abruptly despite years of buildup (see: basically anything involving Kat that got set up as important and then casually handwaved away later, or the two Annies' resolution). The biggest one is the entire status quo change with Loup - it FELT like he was setting up the comic for a climax, but now it feels like it's settled into a long marathon of new plotlines and themes, very little of which involves any characters that seemed to be important before. Anyone seen Elgamore for a while? Andrew? Parley? Jones? Kat's parents? Hell, TONY? Renard's been around, but is basically a non-entity. Is there a good reason they're not here, or did Tom just lose interest in them?

Anyway, that's my take on it. The comic has just gone on so long that what it was before is no longer what the author wants to create - but whatever he wants to make now is just not that compelling when we're expecting Gunnerkrigg to be, well, Gunnerkrigg.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

As time goes on, I think the main problem with this comic is that Tom is fundamentally not interested in the same things his readers are. We all love the silly robots and the slice of life and the mysteries, but he's (now) more interested in telling stories about Tony's mind cage, Loup + Lana, and the robots becoming human. And unfortunately, he's writing plot checks he just can't cash, due to either not being good at writing some of these things (see: Tony) or just him honestly becoming disinterested in certain plotlines and themes, so he just cuts them off abruptly despite years of buildup (see: basically anything involving Kat that got set up as important and then casually handwaved away later, or the two Annies' resolution). The biggest one is the entire status quo change with Loup - it FELT like he was setting up the comic for a climax, but now it feels like it's settled into a long marathon of new plotlines and themes, very little of which involves any characters that seemed to be important before. Anyone seen Elgamore for a while? Andrew? Parley? Jones? Kat's parents? Hell, TONY? Renard's been around, but is basically a non-entity. Is there a good reason they're not here, or did Tom just lose interest in them?

Anyway, that's my take on it. The comic has just gone on so long that what it was before is no longer what the author wants to create - but whatever he wants to make now is just not that compelling when we're expecting Gunnerkrigg to be, well, Gunnerkrigg.

Tom pushed onwards in a situation where other webcomic creators just put their old comic on hiatus or abandon it to work on the new ideas they have.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rotten Red Rod posted:

As time goes on, I think the main problem with this comic is that Tom is fundamentally not interested in the same things his readers are. We all love the silly robots and the slice of life and the mysteries, but he's (now) more interested in telling stories about Tony's mind cage, Loup + Lana, and the robots becoming human.

Honestly I think all of these things could be very very interesting, it's just Tom's not really executing them well. Tony could have been a somewhat sympathetic but still abusive character with nuance and depth, but he just isn't. The Loup + Lana thing could have been a great way to show how the forest and court have started intermingling in new ways similar to Kat and Annie's friendship, but it just wasn't. The robots becoming human could have been a great payoff to Kat's entire character arc so far, but it just hasn't been.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Tiny Myers posted:

However if the next chapter cuts to normal-Kat once again in a generic room talking about how boring it is that she gets the short end of the Ether stick while everyone around her cowers in fear, I will riot
Kat was able to see and talk to Sasamel and the interpreter so should be a low chance of that I'd think, but curious to see how the new god interaction goes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I chuckled

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Good kick.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fecha posted:

It would’ve been more fun if we skipped this chapter—Lana got eaten and then Kat got summoned immediately in robot god form, completely confused as to what was going on
Oh yes, very much this.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Wait, actually, yeah, doesn't that make this the second of them to experience death? Does that imply Lana isn't dead somehow?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

KaosMachina posted:

Wait, actually, yeah, doesn't that make this the second of them to experience death? Does that imply Lana isn't dead somehow?

we literally saw her alive inside some box as the ending of the last chapter

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ymgve posted:

we literally saw her alive inside some box as the ending of the last chapter

People pointed out that was supposed to be some memorial page thing because it matched up with some other panel with Loup and Lana together.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I think the comic has been implying that Lana isn't dead, yes. But I've given it too much credit before. Who knows.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Lana is goosewife, because that retroactively ups the ratio of total Loup screentime and we all love extra Loup. Calling it now.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
She might in fact be in a literal fridge.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

KaosMachina posted:

mycatscrimes posted:

I think the comic has been implying that Lana isn't dead, yes. But I've given it too much credit before. Who knows.

Yeah, that's just text. Annie explicitly notes that she never saw Lana's ghost so she's probably still alive.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2862

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I figured Lana wasn't dead because that would have actually mattered. She's a cast member now.

I did enjoy the impending summoning of Kat causing cracks in this weird ether-space. I initially thought it was from Saslamel and Interpreter.

Kat doesn't have access to Omega yet, right? That we know of? Cuz Zimmy is possibly with them right now. I hope we weren't just told that out of plot convenience.

Lol what if machine goddess Kat is actually the original creator of the Omega device.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm gonna laugh so hard if the intent of that page turned out to be "oh look she's still alive quick we need to rescue her" and he just massively messed up his storytelling once again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

\
FEED ME A STRAY CAT

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I honestly went like, "gah!" when I saw that without expecting it. Still can't believe that was not the intended effect.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

\
FEED ME A STRAY CAT

Every time I see it I think 'does Tom know that in those mangas he likes, when the rival girl makes this face she's not supposed to be happy and lovable'

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Had a dream that there was some sort of half-joking fan theory that Homer Simpson was the perfect polar opposite of Zimmy in every single way and thus was going to be the reason she died because his very presence would cause her existence to shatter, and people kept posting lovely meme edits like this. Like he moved closer and once he occupied the same space the screen flooded like a bad flood fill

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tiny Myers posted:

Had a dream that there was some sort of half-joking fan theory that Homer Simpson was the perfect polar opposite of Zimmy in every single way and thus was going to be the reason she died because his very presence would cause her existence to shatter, and people kept posting lovely meme edits like this. Like he moved closer and once he occupied the same space the screen flooded like a bad flood fill

Let's make it happen

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Oxxidation posted:

\
FEED ME A STRAY CAT

\
YOU THINK YOU HAVE WON, SPIDERMAN! BUT YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU CROSSED THE BROCCOLI HOMUNCULUS!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oxxidation posted:

\
SYSTEM ERROR
REBOOTING

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

\
SYSTEM ERROR
REBOOTING

I have the feeling Kat will have a much different view of "death" when it comes to the new humans than Annie / Saslamel do. Like I could easily see her going "Oh a stab wound like that'll be easy to patch up, here I'll have him fixed in a sec" or "Oh Baldy? Yeah I've got a backup of him, take him to the afterlife or whatever and I'll reboot him"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moskau posted:

\
YOU THINK YOU HAVE WON, SPIDERMAN! BUT YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU CROSSED THE BROCCOLI HOMUNCULUS!

she’ll rabe anything

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The new chapter title immediately reminded me of the bit in Hogfather, where Death explains the consequences to Susan of what would happen if the sun didn't come up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Tiny Myers posted:

This really made my day and I think your subconscious mind is onto something.

No TV and No Beer make Zimmy something something...