Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Man, I don’t think anyone had “forced circumcision of enemy combatants” on their war crimes bingo card for this one :stare:

Actually, this raises a question: seeing as there’s no way you could spin it as necessary medical procedures, if done on a captured combatant that would count as mutilation of a POW and thus be against some kind of international law of war, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Kazinsal posted:

Man, I don’t think anyone had “forced circumcision of enemy combatants” on their war crimes bingo card for this one :stare:

Actually, this raises a question: seeing as there’s no way you could spin it as necessary medical procedures, if done on a captured combatant that would count as mutilation of a POW and thus be against some kind of international law of war, right?

I mean if you lose the war and get prosecuted, sure? In theory? Otherwise I can't see anyone getting in trouble for this, the west is in total psycho mode where all the lever-wielders are giving in to their most base impulses.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Platystemon posted:

I’m not an expert on local practices, but why would one think that they’re not circumcised already?

yeah was trying to reconcile this with one of my pieces of muslim literature starting with the author reminiscing about how fun his big circumcision day party was, at least until he found out what exactly the occasion was by surprise

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thinking about the modern version of Dolph Lundgren's trophy necklace from Universal Soldier and I am not happy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This war is extremely phallo-centered.

Like… more than usual.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm making a tenative guess through the machine translation, but it feels a bit like he might be calling the Hamas fighters foreskins as a pejorative.

e: actually it's more like someone from the US using the phrase 'taking scalps'.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The rest of the post is hosed up enough even without the foreskin trophies

quote:

Since ancient times, we are working to repair the world and they are working to destroy. So 3500 years ago with the Philistines and so with their imagined descendants today even more so. We desire life and they desire terror and death. We fill the land with everything good and they fill it with dirt and ashes.

Some real lunatic bullshit

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the penis is like a onion you can circumcise layer by layer

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-11-21-2023-39f5ae0bdb4e32f0e69115aa43446132

Looks like Israel finally agreed to a temporary cease fire in exchange about a fifth of Hamas' hostages.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Israel's been fed the locations of humanitarian aid groups in Gaza and been asked to avoid striking them (or at least set up a deconfliction line to minimize collateral damage). Instead, while it's not clear they're going full Assad and completely obliterating them, aid groups report locations continue to suffer strikes and deaths with no effort toward deconfliction on the Israeli side.

Politico posted:

The Biden administration has been providing Israel with the location of humanitarian groups in Gaza for weeks to prevent strikes against their facilities. But Israel has continued to hit such sites.

The information included GPS coordinates of a number of medical facilities and information on movements of aid groups in Gaza to the Israeli government for at least a month, according to three people familiar with the communications. All were granted anonymity because they feared speaking publicly would make it more difficult for aid groups to operate in Gaza.

“I have spent my entire adult professional life working on basically medical care in conflict zones, and I have never seen anything like this,” said Dr. Amber Alayyan, a physician with Doctors Without Borders. “It’s not only attacks on structures that should be safe, like hospitals and schools, but also holding an entire population without food or water or fuel for over a month.”

The Israel Defense Forces did not respond to requests for comment.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/21/biden-hostage-israel-hamas-war-00128351

quote:

And there was some concern in the administration about an unintended consequence of the pause: that it would allow journalists broader access to Gaza and the opportunity to further illuminate the devastation there and turn public opinion on Israel.

Oops someone said the quiet part out loud again.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Oops someone sang the quiet party out loud again.

quote:

An Israeli organization calling itself The Civil Front has sparked controversy on social media by producing a song in which children fete the “destruction” in Gaza and say “nothing will be left there” in a year’s time.

A clip of the song ostensibly features children evacuated from communities near the Gaza Strip, and has come under criticism both within Israel and abroad for its lyrics as well as the fact that they are sung by kids.

The video is an homage to classic Israeli song “HaReut” (“Fellowship”), written by poet Haim Gouri about the events of the 1948 Independence War. A mainstay of remembrance days, the original is a gentle ode to those lost in the horrors of war.
https://twitter.com/Tranquilizero/status/1726617311300534419

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
fellas how big of a fuckup is it for the APC driver to allow someone to walk over, hand-place an ATGM right on the door where your soldiers come out from and successfully run away?

https://twitter.com/AryJeay/status/1727376261398630718?s=20

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's exactly why you need Infantry with armor in urban areas.

It's a gently caress up, but a predictable gently caress up. From inside, you can't see poo poo, really.

E- there were a few video from Syria where dudes Looney Tunes a frag down a tank barrel.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's exactly why you need Infantry with armor in urban areas.

It's a gently caress up, but a predictable gently caress up. From inside, you can't see poo poo, really.

They deserve to die for being this incompetent. I have no sympathy for such a basic failure in tactics. This poo poo’s as basic as “look left and right before crossing the street.” “Make sure you got some soldats walking your steel coffin into the city or you won’t get to have fun times blowing poo poo up with that big rear end cannon of yours.”

Idiots. loving idiots.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

fellas how big of a fuckup is it for the APC driver to allow someone to walk over, hand-place an ATGM right on the door where your soldiers come out from and successfully run away?

https://twitter.com/AryJeay/status/1727376261398630718?s=20

I'm not sure what the point is of these videos that are edited to show nothing. It looks cool, I guess, but I've never seen a real result of these moves. Maybe someone places something on an APV? It shows poor tactics for the Israelis but in the end it's just some Tik ToK propaganda.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

RoyKeen posted:

I'm not sure what the point is of these videos that are edited to show nothing. It looks cool, I guess, but I've never seen a real result of these moves. Maybe someone places something on an APV? It shows poor tactics for the Israelis but in the end it's just some Tik ToK propaganda.

There's no maybe involved about that part of it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Luceid posted:

There's no maybe involved about that part of it.

Honestly the vid is too choppy and processed for me to say for 100%.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You wont BELIEVE what gets placed on this tank!!!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
genocidal apartheid states hate this one weird trick

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

RoyKeen posted:

Maybe it's just a sticker. They put it on the APC to show they *could* have killed it if they'd wanted to. Like counting coup.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You can find uncut video if you search, I recommend against it though. As almost everyone here can attest, uncut war footage leads to lasting mental trauma.

I don't like the Tiktok stupidity either, but at least it cuts out actual people meeting their end.

But as always they'd have been fine if the IDF wasn't' doing some genocide in the first place.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

But as always they'd have been fine if the IDF wasn't' doing some genocide in the first place.

Agreed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

You can find uncut video if you search, I recommend against it though. As almost everyone here can attest, uncut war footage leads to lasting mental trauma.

I don't like the Tiktok stupidity either, but at least it cuts out actual people meeting their end.

Does the uncut footage show any actual BDA? It's really hard to assess any effect on the vehicle, which has been the case for all of these propaganda videos.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Does the uncut footage show any actual BDA? It's really hard to assess any effect on the vehicle, which has been the case for all of these propaganda videos.

I almost never see any BDA in hamas videos. It's either deliberate because they're not getting the results they want or they don't know what they're doing, and their videos are too slickly produced for incompetence to be a credible factor.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cant blame them for not standing around to check results ofc.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I almost never see any BDA in hamas videos. It's either deliberate because they're not getting the results they want or they don't know what they're doing, and their videos are too slickly produced for incompetence to be a credible factor.

Or they might just not be able to hang around long enough to do BDA. We are also only seeing the 'hit' rate of successful ambushes from their vids for obvious reasons.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Cant blame them for not standing around to check results ofc.

In Iraq and Afghanistan (especially Iraq) various insurgent groups commonly used secondary cameras to assess IED/ ambush effectiveness, observe US/CF response, and of course propaganda. We've seen the same thing in Ukraine, with both sides making ample use of drones for BDA and subsequent propaganda.

So I think AoD is right. We're also not their target audience, the dude who keeps enthusiastically linking the videos is.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 23, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Not exactly the same thing, but during the Syrian civil war the US was providing ATGMs to al Nusra, I think. But they only sent replacement missiles if the rebels could provide video of them hitting a target with the first one. The videos of course went straight to YouTube.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but during the Syrian civil war the US was providing ATGMs to al Nusra, I think. But they only sent replacement missiles if the rebels could provide video of them hitting a target with the first one. The videos of course went straight to YouTube.

Minor quibble: the US never gave TOWs/ATGMs to Nusra. We gave them to “moderate” rebel groups who at least didn’t have any jihadist leanings, and yeah, they had to film each strike as a precondition to getting more. Nusra ended up with more than a few because they were basically like “hey, we want those missiles or we’ll kill your little group and your families and then take them.”

You don’t have to have an MBA or Six Sigma black belt to know that arming Al-Qaeda is a bad idea.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
just wanna say the boatposts were rad

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Aw it’s nice to be appreciated.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Should U.S. Aid to Israel Be Contingent on Human Rights?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/should-us-aid-to-israel-be-contingent-on-human-rights

I'm ded

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'd briefly missed that feeling of our ME policy being driven by people who know less than nothing about the ME. Cardin has no excuse to not know more. Sullivan knows gently caress all about the ME too and I can't get over that he literally had a massive essay for Foreign Policy about to be published in the Nov issue about how peaceful and quiet the Middle East was when this all popped off.

Granted it was because they'd invaded it, but there was a brief moment there where many people making decisions wrt ME policy had at least been to the region and maybe even knew someone who spoke one of the relevant languages. Sarcasm aside, towards the end of the GWOT I was regularly running into people fresh out of government/military who were often familiar enough with the region that it wasn't embarrassing to hear them talk about the region and a non-trivial amount who really were quite astute and had some real insight and often knew a decent amount of Arabic or Pashto or Dari or Farsi or something.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 23, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

In Iraq and Afghanistan (especially Iraq) various insurgent groups commonly used secondary cameras to assess IED/ ambush effectiveness, observe US/CF response, and of course propaganda. We've seen the same thing in Ukraine, with both sides making ample use of drones for BDA and subsequent propaganda.

So I think AoD is right. We're also not their target audience, the dude who keeps enthusiastically linking the videos is.
There's a whole propaganda kill/death ratio score bragging with "# of vehicles destroyed" metrics that have been more common in wars. It was a significant feature of both sides of the Ukraine-Russia war with armchair analysts wading in to debunk particular claims or discovering hidden troves of destroyed vehicles. But even if the Hamas claims about 200 destroyed vehicles is true (and I doubt it is), I'm not sure it's a deciding dynamic of the conflict or whether Israel will be hampered in any significant way.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The videos also scare the poo poo out IDF conscripts, I'm sure.

E- when the gently caress did I get a new AV? Do I have red text I'm not seeing on the Awful app?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dang there are a lot of people with the avatar of Biden gripping the table to avoid being sucked into the portal to Hell.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm betting it's from the rear end in a top hat in PYF: Idiots on Social Media who said Trump would stop the genocide in Gaza, and everyone basically being like, "The gently caress? That's dumb."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Sounds about right. No red text, just a Biden avatar.

e: Yeah there's like a dozen people in the last two pages of that thread alone with the same avatar. This fuckin website lmao