Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

In Scott Pilgrim I did keep hoping we'd get a vegan cops cameo with Thomas Jane having like a single line or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mycot posted:

He was NOT nearly that big in the original it's so funny

Reminds me of what Jujutsu Kaisen has been doing with some of it's characters this past season

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Really enjoyed Blue Eye Samurai although the siege of the shogun's castle really felt pretty dumb to me. A cursory Google search shows that guns weren't nearly that rare, even if the shogun's soldiers wouldn't have had many to use to fight back, it felt like that whole sequence was just responding to the show's need to quickly get Fowler to accomplish his goal. Like it seemed very weird that his merchant partner had more archers and was better prepared for his tea party meeting with Mizu than the shogunate to defend Edo.

Overall it didn't affect my enjoyment much because the style was a very Tarantinoish revenge story and I hope we get a second season but I did find myself rolling my eyes a bit at all that. Great animation and very fun watch.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Nanami portrayed as Akutami intended. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-DOqSyav8

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

I will continue to fawn over Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and Lucas Lee's hot bod. :colbert:

whatever

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

Holy cow everyone who said Bee and Puppycat had an abrupt ending were not lying, it felt like they just hacked 90 seconds off or something, very anti-climactic. Definitely need more even though I have no idea what that would look like

Yeah I really enjoyed that series. Great vibe, great mix of inspirations. Kinda similar to Scott Pilgrim in that its a western creator who was an anime fan getting to actually make an anime with the cooperation of a japanese studio, and letting it be a true co-production instead of just outsourcing.

I hope we get more from Allegri. There's so many strong creative voices in animation and sometimes it feels like if they don't make a smash hit with their first show then we never hear from them again. I'm not sure where they go, how easy is it to be a showrunner and then go back into the role of a storyboard artist or designer? Or do many of these people like Rebecca Sugar, Alex Hirsch, Dana Terrace, etc just work on pitches and development for future shows that may or may not ever be greenlit? I don't know how much being the creator of a well regarded series nets them so I assume they have to continue to work in the field and can't just take an early retirement?

Soonmot posted:

blue eyed samurai reminded me of why I was really into anime back in the 90s. It managed to evoke all those feelings of "holy poo poo, a CARTOON did that?!" without all the gross tropes that turned me off from most of the medium as I left my 20s. I guess it could fall apart in the remaining episodes, but I doubt it. Just all together quality show. Are they using the same animation style that Dragon Prince did?

Sorta, yeah. Its 3d animation with a cell shaded look but I find Blue Eyed Samurai went much further than Dragon Prince in its shader development and overall art direction. Which makes sense, its a prestige series that was produced a lot slower and with much more live action reference. Not quite Arcane level but close.

mystes posted:

I started watching scott pilgrim and it seem well made and everything but I guess it just doesn't really appeal to me that much, although I'll probably give it another episode.

I was not a big fan of previous Scott Pilgrim stuff, didn't read the comics and though I appreciate how good Edgar Wright's direction is for the movie and the casting and some of the good jokes in it, it wasn't anything I thought about much. But I'm a big fan of the new series. I think its transformative in a good way. (i guess the word transformative usually has good connotations anyway, but just in case there was any doubt...)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Todd was the one with the huge stocky build in the comics originally. Lucas was just a really tall motherfucker.

One of the interesting things about Todd that doesn’t come up that much is that Envy basically traded up to a better version of Scott. Todd is basically Scott with muscles and good hair and actual bass-playing ability. In the comics you actually see that Todd tells the same dumb jokes that Scott does.

What I’m saying is that the TV show does more than I realized at first to support the idea that Wallace is in love with Scott.

“When the film shoot is over <and you are no longer dressed like my deceased roommate>, the relationship is over.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

One of the interesting things about Todd that doesn’t come up that much is that Envy basically traded up to a better version of Scott. Todd is basically Scott with muscles and good hair and actual bass-playing ability. In the comics you actually see that Todd tells the same dumb jokes that Scott does.

What I’m saying is that the TV show does more than I realized at first to support the idea that Wallace is in love with Scott.

“When the film shoot is over <and you are no longer dressed like my deceased roommate>, the relationship is over.”

Yeah that works weirdly well. Especially with Todd just being a bigger, dumber Scott, he basically didn't have whatever defence Scott had against Wallace's infamous closet key.

It's funny though that Envy just jumped right to "I'm a solo act now" after she found out Wallace had seduced Todd because none of the other extenuating circumstances that otherwise broke up TCADH exist in Takes Off, at least as far as Envy is aware. So Lynette basically got fired without cause this time around.

That girl just keeps getting the shorter and shorter end of the stick with every new iteration of the story, I swear.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Das Boo posted:

Hell, it could lean so hard in the other direction with Orientalism that she finds a fun new way to hate things.

Oh my god, you're right. That kind of thing was insanely huge back then. The lure of the mysterious East and all that.

She might also discover there are entirely new ways people can be horrible and racist to each other, none of which revolve around her.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I was immediately repulsed by the idea of Mizu in London, but the more I thought about it, and how well the first season was done, I'm definitely interested in a follow up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah that works weirdly well. Especially with Todd just being a bigger, dumber Scott, he basically didn't have whatever defence Scott had against Wallace's infamous closet key.

It's funny though that Envy just jumped right to "I'm a solo act now" after she found out Wallace had seduced Todd because none of the other extenuating circumstances that otherwise broke up TCADH exist in Takes Off, at least as far as Envy is aware. So Lynette basically got fired without cause this time around.

That girl just keeps getting the shorter and shorter end of the stick with every new iteration of the story, I swear.

This bums me out as it kind of misses the stuff that was the strongest to me about Scott's side of the story in the books (which is NOT the League fights, those are more about Ramona as the show basically acknowledges) which was the Kim/Lisa/Envy stuff which the show kinda just drops.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Mizu and Fowler bond over the anti-Irish racism he faces in London, showing her they have more in common than she thought. Eventually he becomes a Vegeta type figure.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Honestly, about the only thing I didn't like about Blue Eye Samurai was Seki spending the last couple episodes talking about how he was only three days from retirement, showing everyone pictures of his boat and talking about spending the rest of his life fishing.

Also was looking through all the cast and saw Ringo was voiced by Masi Oka, from Heroes. No wonder he was so likable.

Also, drat, what a group of amazing actors!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcTJynGpWgI
lackadaisy has a tiny short hitting later today.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

kdrudy posted:

In Scott Pilgrim I did keep hoping we'd get a vegan cops cameo with Thomas Jane having like a single line or something.
Funniest moment in the original movie, hands down.

:hfive: YEAAAH!!!!!

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Mizu and Fowler bond over the anti-Irish racism he faces in London, showing her they have more in common than she thought. Eventually he becomes a Vegeta type figure.

I like that the characters aren't necessarily black and white but I don't know if Fowler is redeemable at this point. Regardless, they are looking like they will have to endure a temporary alliance in London since he is the only one who can help Mizu find the other men she is after.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Of course in season 3 they fall in love (after she finds and kills her actual dad)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I like that the characters aren't necessarily black and white but I don't know if Fowler is redeemable at this point. Regardless, they are looking like they will have to endure a temporary alliance in London since he is the only one who can help Mizu find the other men she is after.

Mizu has arguably killed more people than Fowler by a factor of between 10 and 100 at this point, so is he really that irredeemable?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 22, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Mizu has arguably killed more people than Fowler by a factor of between 10 and 100 at this point, so is he really that irredeemable?

The dude tortures and murders people for funsies. He literally rolls up with his goon squad, breaks into the castle, murders the ruler and tries to declare himself king. He murders people for bringing him bad news and there's an underground tunnel full of the skeletons of his bastard children. We don't see him kill more people onscreen but we sure see a lot of aftermath.

Mizu, for all her many flaws, is at least shown to be capable of restraint. She clearly likes to fight a whole lot but she also seems entirely willing not to kill someone if she doesn't have to, she doesn't murder that one dude who stood down during the castle assault or just flat-out kill Ringo to protect herself or anything like that, nor does she kill the child who later rats her out, and even her abandoning Akemi was her thinking she did the best thing. She is not a great person but he is on an entirely different level.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I just finished episodes 5 and 6. I was going to binge it the last time I posted but I got a friend hooked and we've been simuwatching it and talking about it. We have insightful commentary as "holy poo poo" and "this fight's fuckin' rad" and not at least "dang, this lady just don't catch a break".

Mizu is obviously a supremely broken person. Internalizing self-hatred is a hell of thing. It's not society's fault for the way they view people who are different, it's her fault for looking this way. Even her husband was a real piece of work. The show really does a good job hitting you over the head with its themes. My friend even joked that if she married another woman she wouldn't be on this path because they appreciate the finer things in life, like mastery of the blade.

Mizu is nothing like Fowler. He has no moral center, Mizu actively suppresses hers to destructive ends.

Fantastic show. Every episodes a banger. Gonna finish up either tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
BES reminded me a lot of Afro Samurai in how harshly it depicts the pursuit of revenge

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

Tunnel full of dead babies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Tunnel full of dead babies.

I suppose it does get a tiny bit overshadowed by "accidentally lit all of Edo on fire trying to kill one dude and then was like "Meh :shrug:" about it"...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
If a single candle falling over can set the largest city in the world on fire in less than an hour, it's hard to be too judgemental when it finally happens.

Japanese lacquer is apparently made from magnesium and napalm.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If a single candle falling over can set the largest city in the world on fire in less than an hour, it's hard to be too judgemental when it finally happens.

Someone posted it earlier in the thread but the actual Great Fire of Meireki was started because a priest was burning an allegedly cursed kimono to dispose of it and did so in the middle of a hurricane-force windstorm and within a week Edo was basically burned to the ground and over 100,000 people were dead. So yeah, kinda.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sounds like it really was cursed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Sounds like it really was cursed.

Apparently it was a wedding dress that three brides-to-be in a row who tried it on all died before they were married so the priests were like "okay, see you" and the kimono was like "I'M TAKING ALL OF YOU FUCKERS WITH ME!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

He's the one who has to teach her English. Imagine trusting a guy like that to teach you a language you will really need.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone posted it earlier in the thread but the actual Great Fire of Meireki was started because a priest was burning an allegedly cursed kimono to dispose of it and did so in the middle of a hurricane-force windstorm and within a week Edo was basically burned to the ground and over 100,000 people were dead. So yeah, kinda.

The Great Fire Of London started as a bakery fire, medieval cities with a lot of wooden construction are basically time bombs.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

nine-gear crow posted:

Apparently it was a wedding dress that three brides-to-be in a row who tried it on all died before they were married so the priests were like "okay, see you" and the kimono was like "I'M TAKING ALL OF YOU FUCKERS WITH ME!"

I wonder if any surviving priests later thought that the next time they think something is cursed, maybe just hide it away somehow instead of burning it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I wonder if any surviving priests later thought that the next time they think something is cursed, maybe just hide it away somehow instead of burning it.

That's why there's so much cursed poo poo lying in sealed underground chambers below Japanese temples.
Letting those curses fester doesn't seeem like a good longterm strategy either.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Or maybe just do it in an open field or something and not a raging gale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
You know how many people die from bear attacks while doing that???

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or maybe just do it in an open field or something and not a raging gale.

Obviously, the kimono caused that massive storm. It seemed safe at the time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ImpAtom posted:

He literally rolls up with his goon squad, breaks into the castle, murders the ruler and tries to declare himself king.

Ummm. Excuse me. But he murders the ruler and tries to declare Randall Park king. :colbert: Something I would wholly support.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It also bears mentioning that Japanese building construction up into the 20th century was almost exclusively done with wood, bamboo, and paper; in fact, part of the reason the firebombing of Tokyo in World War II was so devastating was because so many of the buildings were still made of extremely flammable materials. Japan at the time had access to a lot of timber and not a lot else, and as a particularly seismically active place, it made more sense than trying to build a bunch of stone structures that would shake apart and bury the people inside under tons of rubble; it was cheaper, easier, stood up to the frequent earthquakes better, and could be reassembled much more quickly if the original structure was destroyed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why Edo burned to the ground was already covered, but just cause I thought it was interesting:

Japanese (and Chinese) lacquer is made from the sap of the Chinese lacquer tree, a type of sumac. A compound in the sap, urushiol, polymerizes as it dries, which is what creates such a tough coating. I don't know that it's particularly flammable, but it is a serious skin irritant when it's fresh. The tree is closely related to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac, and urushiol is the compound in all of those that gives you a rash when you touch it. Of course, when it's dried and polymerized, it's not really the same molecules any more and it's a lot more inert.

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 23, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I was going to make a joke that Edo Japan could have prevented all of this by letting the westerns sell glorious asbestos. But apparently that stuff wasn't really common yet. It was used in small scales for literally thousands of years, there just wasn't enough of the stuff around to put into buildings until America found large deposits and a new way to export misery in the 1800s.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Asbestos is the best tos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Asbestos is the best tos

Excuse me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqgqgcE8Zck