Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

swickles posted:

I will take a look later at this model in particular when at my computer, but I just went through replacing a bunch of appliances. I bought a Consumer Reports membership, and also researched the hell out of a new frdige. Turns out Samsungs are now on the better end in terms of predicted reliability. The biggest factor in a fridge/freezer lasting long is the presence of an external water/ice dispenser. Anything like that that opens up externally tanks the reliability. One that is inside is fine, but the ideal is a complete lack of one (although in my opinion its not enough to warrant not having an ice maker).
I’m shopping for new fridge now and it’s shockingly hard to find one that doesn’t have an external ice or cold water dispenser. It’s something like 1 out of every 10 models.

The other thing I’ve been looking at is fridge style. French door, four door, side by side… I don’t recall this many options when I was shopping for a fridge like 20 years ago. Traditional top freezers are supposed to be the most efficient, but I can’t live with the lack of organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Whirlpool makes a French door with a water dispenser on the wall of the fridge on the inside instead of on the door. There’s also an ice maker in the freezer that dumps into a bin. Both work great, I love mine and it was much cheaper than models with external dispensers (just more poo poo to break imo).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We intentionally bought a fridge without an ice maker and then a few weeks after it was installed realized there was one in the freezer after all. Oops. No water line so never hooked it up, it just reduces the head room on one side a little.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lawnie posted:

Whirlpool makes a French door with a water dispenser on the wall of the fridge on the inside instead of on the door. There’s also an ice maker in the freezer that dumps into a bin. Both work great, I love mine and it was much cheaper than models with external dispensers (just more poo poo to break imo).
That's what my GE does. Much simpler than through the door water/ice.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's what my GE does. Much simpler than through the door water/ice.

They’re probably the same fridge with different badging, maybe slightly different interior organization. I love mine, not only is it simpler, it looks way nicer.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.3c00924?ref=PDF

Study seems to think plastic cutting boards will expose you to microplastic specks. Anyone more science-brained able to ascertain whether this is a real concern or not?

Microplastics are a global experiment you cannot opt out of. Regardless of your chopping board, you will have it in your water, in your produce, in your meats, in your air.

Until you get a study that compares those to identify the relative exposures, any one spotlight misses the context. You don't know if you're being penny wise while dollar dumb.

Not to say it never makes sense to try and avoid, just that this study doesn't compare it to plastic vegetable containers or water bottles etc.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 21, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Are you better off with a top of the line Breville blender or a bottom of the line Vitamix? I can get the Breville Q for $350 AUD or the Vitamix E310 for $410. The extra $200 for the next Vitamix up might not be worth it as all it's going to really do is smoothies and occasional hummus.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Has anyone in the UK bought a waffle maker recently? My sister wants one for Christmas but I'm not sure what's good.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Are you better off with a top of the line Breville blender or a bottom of the line Vitamix? I can get the Breville Q for $350 AUD or the Vitamix E310 for $410. The extra $200 for the next Vitamix up might not be worth it as all it's going to really do is smoothies and occasional hummus.

All vitamix are good. The different levels just have different features, shapes, occasionally more hp and the restaurant quality ones have replaceable parts in kits. Here’s a guide.

Get on their email list and watch the reconditioned deals. I got a reconditioned 7500 for $250. It kicks rear end.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Aramoro posted:

Has anyone in the UK bought a waffle maker recently? My sister wants one for Christmas but I'm not sure what's good.

Things to look for:

- Easy to clean. Seriously, waffle mix gets everywhere - detachable hinge/removable is usually the thing to look for.

- Flippable mid cook. Gets your waffles more waffley. Sometimes it's the whole unit, sometimes just the cooking part.

- Size. The restaurant style ones take up a huge amount of counter/storage space.

unknown fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 22, 2023

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I feel like we just had kitchen scale chat a few pages ago but I can’t seem to find it.

I’m getting more into baking and my old scale is a little small for the largest of my mixing bowls and getting a little long in the tooth to boot. Top recs?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
KD8000 from My Weight unless you need > 1g accuracy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

SubG posted:

KD8000 from My Weight unless you need > 1g accuracy.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
The Oxo one with the pull out display should accommodate most large bowls. The kd8000 seems way too big unless you never move it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I've moved my KD8000 multiple times since I first replied. It's awesome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

+1 on the KD8000, mine lives on the counter 99% of the time since I use it constantly. 1% of the time it lives on top of the fridge.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah mine lives next to the flour but it moves around the kitchen a lot. We use it for all sorts, and I don't think I could live without the percentage function now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is going to sound awful but my preferred scales are the Joseph Joseph Tri folding ones. They're accurate enough for baking etc and they fold away so I can chuck them in a drawer. I had one set which broke so I just bought another one identical.

For coffee etc I have some cheapo dealer scales from amazon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have an oxo and I love it but they are way overpriced compared to the competition

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I have an oxo and I love it but they are way overpriced compared to the competition
The KD8000's price has gone up a lot in the ~10 years since I bought mine (~US$35 then, ~$US50 now) but it's still what I'd buy if I had to replace it.

Also, I've been using it daily for nearly a decade and the first time I ever had trouble with it was literally a couple weeks ago, when it wouldn't turn on. Took me a minute to remember, oh yeah it has batteries. It had been still running on the no-name rando AAs it came with.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What scale for sub-gram if I want to play with molecular gastronomy poo poo?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Aramoro posted:

unknown posted:

Things to look for:

- Easy to clean. Seriously, waffle mix gets everywhere - detachable hinge/removable is usually the thing to look for.

- Flippable mid cook. Gets your waffles more waffley. Sometimes it's the whole unit, sometimes just the cooking part.

- Size. The restaurant style ones take up a huge amount of counter/storage space.

I purchased this a few months ago and swear by the US version of this waffle maker (purchased under Breville label in the US)

Sage (Breville) Smart Waffle Pro

Now granted, it is expensive and huge, but good lord this thing is the Cadillac of waffle makers and is bomb-proof. Easy to clean, no need for flippability but if you really want to, easy to open, flip and cook. Waffle mix doesn't go anywhere and it has easy to clean waffle gutters but if you're not daft, you won't have an issue.
Edit: for size considerations, the 2 waffle is probably exactly as good but smaller

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Subjunctive posted:

What scale for sub-gram if I want to play with molecular gastronomy poo poo?

I'm not sure what exact range you're looking for, but $20 milligram scales are probably fungible at this point. I have an American weigh

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I just got one of the $20 milligram scales, and there is a lot of drift. I would guess it's accurate to 10mg, which is good enough for what I'm doing. If you need more precision than that, you need to get a proper analytical balance.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Ages ago, the best place to find a sub gram scale was to go to a weed/head shop and get one that you can calibrate (and have them do it). Spent like $60, but it's been perfect for my cooking.

One of the challenges is getting reference weights to do that calibration properly (we're talking about sub gram accuracy of the weights too).

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SubG posted:

The KD8000's price has gone up a lot in the ~10 years since I bought mine (~US$35 then, ~$US50 now) but it's still what I'd buy if I had to replace it.

Also, I've been using it daily for nearly a decade and the first time I ever had trouble with it was literally a couple weeks ago, when it wouldn't turn on. Took me a minute to remember, oh yeah it has batteries. It had been still running on the no-name rando AAs it came with.

Yeah I bought mine ~10 years ago and just changed the batteries on it for the first time this morning. That's also how I discovered that it has a hilarious set of warnings pasted to the bottom:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
As someone who used to work in metrology, hell yeah.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My KD8000 is plugged in to the wall. Since I've been on a diet I just weigh all my food (way easier than anything else) so it gets used like a dozen times a day or something crazy like that. By far my most used kitchen tool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My KD8000 gets used a few times a week (more when I’m tracking what I eat, which should be more often…) and I’ve had to change the batteries once in 7 years.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oh by the way, for the KD8000 you can turn off the auto-shutoff feature (which I did since it's plugged in) so it won't turn itself off after however many minutes. I like it that way so I can keep track of a tared weight for a long time while cooking.

What I really want is to inscribe the tare weights into my pots and leftover containers so I don't need to keep track of them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Eeyo posted:

Oh by the way, for the KD8000 you can turn off the auto-shutoff feature (which I did since it's plugged in) so it won't turn itself off after however many minutes. I like it that way so I can keep track of a tared weight for a long time while cooking.

What I really want is to inscribe the tare weights into my pots and leftover containers so I don't need to keep track of them.

You just gave me a very interesting product idea....

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Eeyo posted:

I looked into laser etching for this but decided it would cost too much. I saw something about baking to make marker ink permanent - that could be a solution. At this point I just remember how much my most-used mixing bowls weigh, so it's not as important anymore.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
What's a good in-oven thermometer? Preferably with an external display rather than an app

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

We use Escali's and KD800s at work and I was gifted the OXO for home use and I prefer the OXO 100000x over for home use for its form factor alone. If you're doing % based hydration for most uses then I could see that pushing you towards the KD though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vim Fuego posted:

What's a good in-oven thermometer? Preferably with an external display rather than an app

I use a spare ThermoWorks Smoke with the lead coming out the seal at the side of the door, and the display magnets to the door itself outside (albeit sideways). There’s enough length on the lead that I can move the display to the counter if I care about it that much, which I almost never do.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I use a thermoworks dot they have a clip that you can mount the probe to the grate if you need the oven air temp, or use the probe directly in the meat. I use the magnets to attach it to the hood above the oven the lead is long enough to reach. You can set an alarm on it when it reaches the target temp it beeps.

Thermoworks sells these silicone probe reels that have magnets on the back I keep the unused probes on them mounted to the side of the fridge keeps them from getting tangled up in a drawer and from getting kinked. I had one probe go bad before I got them from the cable inside the metal shielding getting damaged.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I got a gift card to crate and barrel, but I don’t know what to get.

I feel like I have all the furniture I need so I’m looking at kitchen stuff. I already have frying pans, an instant pot pressure cooker, nice dishes.

Thoughts on what to explore?

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 25, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dutch oven?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I got a gift card to crate and barrel, but I don’t know what to get.

I feel like I have all the furniture I need so I’m looking at kitchen stuff. I already have frying pans, an instant pot pressure cooker, nice dishes.

Thoughts on what to explore?

They’re nice for getting unique wineglasses

Don’t get anything stupid looking, go for more timeless designs

They have some cool serveware too

Most of their kitchen cooking equipment can be gotten elsewhere for cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Favorite glass tupperware? Water tightness not required - I use ball jars for such items. Main criteria:

Stack well
Lids don't self destruct in 1-2 years
Not super heavy - some we had knocked around in the drawer and chipped each other

Kinda asking for a unicorn I know

E: I guess metal is fine too, 80% of my preference for glass is for longevity, only 20% is microwavability. Would be nice but not essential.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 25, 2023