Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Idk I feel like any time a major piece is guarding against a backrank mate (which this basically is with one extra step) you should be on the lookout for opportunities to deflect it away. Comes up reasonably often, especially if your opponent is lower rated and therefore less likely to realize this is a weakness.

yeah in this case you need to notice the a3 bishop securing f8 because after re8 the rf8 rook blocks and without the bishop if you take him the king takes back. So it's like a 2-step back rank and that's not instantly obvious, at least to players at my level (bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Every time I do 1000 puzzles I recognize one more pattern instantly in a game situation. All I need to do is 50,000,000 more puzzles and I could be a titled player.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

jesus WEP posted:

i will never stop playing first move of every puzzle on vibes alone

:hfive:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm telling you, if I ever get a situation with a sacrifice that leads to Smothered Mate I am SO on it

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

lichess puzzles through the website show the history of the game so you can see if you really want to, but in the app you don't see it and the chess.com puzzles don't seem to show a game history.

Really on any website it's not a big deal because if you want to know if you have castling rights you can just touch your king and see if castling is a legal move.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Woodpecker No. 70
White to move in a position we've all been in roughly a million times:

Initial computer evaluation +0.54.

Given correct answer 9. Bxf7+ Nxf7 10. Bxe7 Re8 11. Bh4 dxc4 (computer evaluation +0.52). Given alternate answer is start with 9. cxd cxd 10. Bxf7+ etc. (computer evaluation +0.45).

My incorrect answer 9. Bxf6 Bxf6 10. Bxh7+ Kh8 (+0.57). My thought process was that I always want that Knight gone, and either way I'm giving up a Bishop. Eval aside, I guess with no pawn on h7 I'm better off with a dark Bishop since the light Bishop has already "done his job?" Or just after it's all sorted out, having a Bishop on h4 is just a lot better than having one on h7 that leaves the Queen a target (or I have to get the Bishop back home and give up a tempo. Hmm.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

I think the problem is that after Bxf6 black can play Nxf6 and the position is equal.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Huxley posted:

Woodpecker No. 70
White to move in a position we've all been in roughly a million times:

My incorrect answer 9. Bxf6 Bxf6 10. Bxh7+ Kh8 (+0.57). My thought process was that I always want that Knight gone, and either way I'm giving up a Bishop. Eval aside, I guess with no pawn on h7 I'm better off with a dark Bishop since the light Bishop has already "done his job?" Or just after it's all sorted out, having a Bishop on h4 is just a lot better than having one on h7 that leaves the Queen a target (or I have to get the Bishop back home and give up a tempo. Hmm.

I feel like black would recapture with the knight rather than the bishop so you're still stuck with a knight on f6.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh duh, see. That's exactly the kinds of mistakes I make. I'll spend a minute calculating Bishop takes, then they take back with the Knight, which is obvious but I never thought about, and I'm stuck. I guess that makes these good puzzles for me.

Bxf6 Nxf6, o-o dxc4, Bxc4 and it's 0.0.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 19, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Better than me!

I saw Bxf6 Nxf6, and figured the trick of the position was to figure out a way to play Bxh7 without Nxh7 following, so I did…

[Variant "From Position"]
[FEN "r1b2rk1/ppqnbppp/2p1pn2/3p2B1/2PP4/2NBPN2/PPQ2PPP/R3K2R w KQq - 0 1"]

1. Ne5 Nxe5
2. dxe5 Qxe5
3. Bxf6 Bxf6
4. Bxh7+

And that's all well and good, this is a reasonable continuation, I didn't misread the board. But the problem is my goal was totally wrong— this position isn't actually good for White. I knew there would be no immediate attack, but I figured it was a persistent weakness. But the computer seems to figure there's not actually a weakness there, so White just brilliantly traded a center pawn for a rook pawn for no reason. Whoops.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Might pick up the book though. It's really interesting and refreshing, and probably very helpful, to have the goal of some puzzles be "ok you're +0.4, make a bunch of moves and try and stay +0.4"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's interesting. The idea is you're supposed to pick a set of puzzles (the first 222 in the Easy section, for instance) and do them timed and scored. Then give yourself 2-3 days off and start the same set over from the beginning. The idea is you use spaced repetition to lock in certain patterns (like remembering the Knight covering the Knight in that exact QGD setup, but also just in general) by seeing them over and over. The book prescribes running through the whole set 7 times, aiming to halve the time spent (and dramatically raise the correct%) each run through. You can do this with any set of puzzles, of course, but I just really like the paper stock and print clarity of this particular publisher.

I'm currently 72/222 in, I've spent almost 4 hours, and am getting 60% correct. I'm also timing each puzzle and if I hit 5 minutes without a clear solution I just write down the move I would make in a real game and move on.

The solutions so far have been interesting. The one above was "find this move to keep your narrow advantage." One was "I bet you found this 3-move combination fork, and so did Capablanca! But it was wrong and he ended up drawing because [wild defensive maneuver]. The correct solution is literally any move other than that one." One was, "congrats on finding M2, did you notice moving that piece hung M3 for them? Correct answer is bringing your Queen back to defend."

It's also known for being tough in the intermediate/expert puzzles.

Here's the first intermediate puzzle (Woodpecker 223):
Black to Move

Hamppe—Steinitz, Vienna 1859
21. ... Bxd4+ 22. Kh1 22. cxd4 Qh2#; Or 22.Rf2 Qh2+ when the crucial h2 pawn can be taken as both white pieces are pinned. 22. ...Rxg3 Black won a piece and soon the game.

Here's the first advanced puzzle (Woodpecker 985):
White to move

I'm not going to type this one out, but nearly every answer in the advanced section is this long. Probably a good set of positions for an intermediate to do loooong full evaluations on.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Reminds me a bit of the Chess Tactics Pro app, especially in how difficult they are compared to Lichess / Chesscom sub-2000 puzzles. The easy ones on that app are sometimes easy but sometimes what I'd call tricky, the immediate ones require a lot of thought. You get a small amount for free (150 easy, 100 intermediate, 50 hard) plus daily puzzles.

E: I got the intermediate one in your post pretty quickly, the advanced I studied for a few minutes. Looked at the only immediately forcing move (bishop) first but couldn't make it work. I settled on the actual solution as my first move but couldn't work out all the variations, but it seemed like it had to be right. But in real games, relying on my gut feel in positions like those goes wrong as often as it goes right.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 20, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Huxley posted:

It's interesting. The idea is you're supposed to pick a set of puzzles (the first 222 in the Easy section, for instance) and do them timed and scored.

This sounds like my kinda style. Although I was thinking about getting the big Polger book instead and approaching it similarly. I think I can only get one book from Santa.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone, just a reminder: it's the last week to sign up for the main round of trad games secret santa! I feel like there's probably a lot of interesting chess boards or chess books you could get for the suggested $40 gift amount.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm 2300 rated chesscom puzzles and 2200 lichess puzzle. Meanwhile I'm hardstuck 500 elo on chesscom because my brain is addicted to speed and I play nothing but 3m blizz and take no time at all to look for tactics.

I tried getting into rapids for a bit but always end the game with 8m+ on the clock. Maybe I should make some kind of checklist and force myself to go over all points every turn.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mikojan posted:

I'm 2300 rated chesscom puzzles and 2200 lichess puzzle. Meanwhile I'm hardstuck 500 elo on chesscom because my brain is addicted to speed and I play nothing but 3m blizz and take no time at all to look for tactics.

I tried getting into rapids for a bit but always end the game with 8m+ on the clock. Maybe I should make some kind of checklist and force myself to go over all points every turn.

So I think the advice here is to play classical and talk out loud though every move, then review every game afterwards

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

crossposting from the nodevember thread

fart simpson posted:

board game binge

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
from one of my 5 minute blitz games: black to play and win. answer: Rxb2+ Ka1 Rxb2+ Kb1 Ra1#

wow, too easy, right? i found the first move, but i somehow spent 28 seconds on the next one without noticing mate after Rxb2+ or that my bishop was hanging and played Rb4+ instead, blundering the bishop. so what happened? what was i thinking about for those 28 seconds?

quite simple: i spent that 28 seconds thinking about my next meal and about drinking more coffee :hampants:. this is a major factor limiting my chess improvement: i will never convince my brain that moving these silly little horsies and castles is more important than feeding my face hole.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

crossposting from the nodevember thread

cool! soil looks a little dry tho -- was the last move in this square-pot-with-dead-plant to d8 checkmate?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Helianthus Annuus posted:

cool! soil looks a little dry tho -- was the last move in this square-pot-with-dead-plant to d8 checkmate?

u can figure out which piece is which if you realize which famous game it is

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sometimes even at the mediocre Elos you still get beautiful endings (black to move)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Sometimes even at the mediocre Elos you still get beautiful endings (black to move)
looks like Rxb2+ Ka1 Rbtake your pick#

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

Its not quite mate in 2

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Well after the rook moves back revealing the check, white can throw a symbolic block with bc3 but that’s about it, no?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

ya seems like

..Rxb2+ Ka1 Rb-anything-but-3-cause-you-hang-your-knight-or-1-cause-you-hang-your-rook+ Bc3 Bxc3#

or is there something faster i'm not seeing

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
There is something else white can block with.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Control Volume posted:

rxb2+ ka1, rxc2+ bc3, bxc3 kb1, rb2#?

i'm not sure if there's something cleaner i'm missing. real nice general demonstration of why an unobstructed bishop pair in the center of the board is usually going to be better than two knights kind of near the opposing king

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Its not quite mate in 2
oh yeah :cripes: i have bad vision

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

rxb2+ ka1, rxc2+ bc3, bxc3 kb1, rb2#?

i'm not sure if there's something cleaner i'm missing. real nice general demonstration of why an unobstructed bishop pair in the center of the board is usually going to be better than two knights kind of near the opposing king

White can respond with Ka1 to your last move

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah but you can then just move your rook somewhere on the file right

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

rb2+ ka1 rc2+ kb1 rb8+ looks like it’s mate after the bishop/knight block

E: ah wait, that just hangs a rook

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Control Volume posted:

Best I can do is mate in 5:
1 ... Rxb2+ 2. Ka1 Rxc2+
either: 3. Kb1 Rb2+ 4. Ka1 Rb8+ 5. Bc3 Bxc3#
or: 3. Bc3 Bxc3+ 4. Kb1 Rb2+ 5. Ka1 Rb8#

Carbolic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 23, 2023

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
I feel like a crazy person am I missing something here?

1. ... Rxb2+
2. Ka1 Rb4+ (or Rb6,7 or 8 all seem the same, only Rb3 fails because it blocks the bishop from protecting the knight)
3. Bc3 Bxc3#

edit: yes I'm dumb and blind, pawns can move, lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You won't improve if I just give you the answers :smug: :smuggo:

E: but this is correct

Carbolic posted:

Best I can do is mate in 5:
1 ... Rxb2+ 2. Ka1 Rxc2+
either: 3. Kb1 Rb2+ 4. Ka1 Rb8+ 5. Bc3 Bxc3#
or: 3. Bc3 Bxc3+ 4. Kb1 Rb2+ 5. Ka1 Rb8#

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 23, 2023

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

I can't figure out how to get rid of the "?" annotation on Black's last move.

White to mate in 2.

Clue 1: Create a double threat.
Clue 2: It involves sacrificing, or offering to sacrifice, a piece.
Clue 3: White does not capture anything.
Answer: Nah, not yet.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

in this position, i would play Rh5

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Carbolic posted:

I can't figure out how to get rid of the "?" annotation on Black's last move.

White to mate in 2.

Clue 1: Create a double threat.
Clue 2: It involves sacrificing, or offering to sacrifice, a piece.
Clue 3: White does not capture anything.
Answer: Nah, not yet.
Rh5. Whether or not gxh5, Qh7#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yesterday i got my first mid-game brilliant move. black’s LSB just won a pawn. the best move isn’t winning but it does keep the game even.