Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is extremely heavy coming in at 168g. Looks like the G602 is 102g.

I didn't consider weight, but I'm a fingertip mouser. The G602 weighs ~157g with 2 AA Eneloops in it and I like it like that. So that actually sounds decent, I don't think I'd notice another 10g if the slides were newer and nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lilac G203 is only $12 on Amazon (with the caveat that Amazon now requires a minimum of $35 in cart for free shipping w/o Prime)

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-LIGHTSYNC-Wired-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B082J7P19K?th=1

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

comedyblissoption posted:

cons:

probably overpriced

Pretty much. You can get a 3395 sensored mouse for 40 or less dollars right now. I have a M600 sitting here I use for desktop use thats basically a GPX clone and its a 1k polling 50 gram wireless device that feels as good as my unmodded logitech mice. Logitech just wins on support. have a problem, new mouse shipped. But is it worth that much more money? Eh. If I'm spending 100+ on a mouse these days its gonna be some bougie magnesium thing. Not a brand name logitech thing.

https://amzn.to/3RkcKTf

its 35 dollars with coupon right now. It comes with glass skates, and grips. Pretty wild what you get for 35 bucks.

cons:
low weight is overhyped
absolute bare minimum of buttons which complicates profile or dpi switching

This is where I realized you didn't need or want an ultra light. You are not mix/maxing fps games and thats legit the only time you're going to want to be low weight with as minimal buttons as possible.

2 thumb buttons is basically ultra light standard. More buttons = more grams = more weight.

So thats why theres less buttons. Straight up how they are designed. Its an ultralight class device remember.

Then theres the overhyped part. If you were min/maxing fps games you'd notice gains moving from a normal 100g or over mouse to something sub 60-50. The very first day on my cheap ultra light I could watch recorded footage from the day before, and the day I got it, and you can straight up see how much more in control I was with mouse movements. I have a desk cam setup with my gameplay recording. I'm a sweat, Shut up. I went from a G703 which was like 100g or so, to 53 i think on the scale. HUGE difference. Less fatigue, easier to control, glides more freely. Combine this with a proper mousing surface? Yeah its gonna give you massive gains in a lot of ways when it comes to tracking and flick control.

To be clear, I was the guy who ran the weights in his mice back in the day as a competitive quake/cs player. I wish I'd of picked up the light mouse bug back then tbh because the gains I personally saw were silly.

Now moving to something bougie? Eh depends. Polling rates have diminishing returns depending on your hardware/framerate/refresh rate.

Sorry to ramble. Been lurkin this thread a while and there just isn't enough chit chat about ultra lights and why they exist. Plus theres some cool poo poo out there. I'm using a stormbreaker from pwnage right now and while the unit i have has had quality control issues like woah. Still love the dumb thing and pwnage is sending me a replacement in the new color so thats rad. Wouldn't really recommend a mouse like that though for a daily driver. I basically use it for fps gaming only. My M600/G703s gets used for desktop stuff.

Combine any decent ultralight mouse with a quality pad and you'll have a good time with FPS stuff. I run an xray aqua control + and its :kiss:

ok said sorry for rambling then rambled more. :v:

Also hi thread.

For reference I'm a low sensitivity player. 50cm or so 360

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 22, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Got my Logitech Pro X Superlight yesterday.

It's a piece of poo poo. Why was I stupid enough to try Logitech again? I never liked them in the past.

I paid $75 for it and it feels like a $10 piece of trash. lovely plastic. Bad comfort. Needlessly long. Unsuited for fingertip grip. It's broader exactly where you want your fingertips to rest, and narrower where you wouldn't.

Hard to get used to the complete absence of acceleration. Makes it hard to turn around in FPS. It was easier to aim for headshots with it though. Guessing that's from the much higher DPI compared to my old MS Sculpt Mobile Mouse.

I'll have to either keep the Superlight exclusively for CS2 sessions and the like, or sell it. Can't use it for general Windows stuff.

What mouse should I try next? It needs to be small and suited for fingertip/claw grip. High DPI. Slightly soft/rubbery sides so that you get a good grip. Don't care about extra buttons.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 22, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you want just a general desktop mouse (NOT GAMING!) that is small and is pushed around by finger tips, https://www.dxtmouse.com/ has some great vertical mice. I have the older DXT Mouse 2 that I use for work and general desktop use and love it. Definitely has relieved some pains compared to using a more traditional mouse. The one I have goes up to 2000 dpi and is ambidextrous (there is a button to press to switch it from left-to-right orientation).

It is a bit heavy and you can knock it over on accident sometimes. Also, recentering it on the mousepad takes more time than a traditional mouse (you tilt and lift as opposed to just lift). Even with those negatives, I still enjoy it. You move it primarily with fingertips for small movements and your whole arm for larger movements.

---

@EbolaIvory I appreciate your post! Thanks for that info.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Fwiw I'm not at all a competitive player, I mostly play Guild Wars 2 (an MMO) and single player FPS games and I'm absolutely smitten with my ultralight mouse, a Glorious Model D wireless. They actually just came out with an updated "Pro" model that removes the holes, the RGB, and the large logo which are all things I was pretty ambivalent about (but not enough to make me not buy it). I got mine for $60 and I think it's a steal for that (the Pro is $100 MSRP, the original is $80). If price had been no object I probably would have tried the Deathadder V3 Pro. I like ergonomic mice.
Anyway like I said I'm not a high level player but what's nice with the ultralight for me is that I don't even think about the mouse, the buttons, nothing. It's just there and it works and it's easy to move. I'm coming from a Razer Naga (I used the 6 button side) and a G502 before that. I didn't think light weight would matter to me but I really like it. With that being said I don't think I would notice or care about a difference of 10g or something (the model D is like 60 something iirc) but I think moving from over 100 to under 70 is definitely noticeable and nice.
These days there's no shortage of small companies making these lightweight mice with modern sensors and nice switches. Most seem to be ambidextrous mice and I definitely wanted one I could buy from Amazon (to return if I didn't like it) but they're even starting to show up there with more frequency. I'm solidly a palm gripper so I don't know what fingertip people look for but there's tons of "mini" mice from these companies like the Pulsar X2 Mini and Lamzu Atlantis Mini (which seems to be one of the more popular on Reddit).
It feels like we're in a mouse renaissance right now, and I'm definitely biased because I'm pissed at my G502 failing within months of the warranty running out but I'm not sure why anyone would be spending Logitech money these days.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PirateBob posted:

What mouse should I try next? It needs to be small and suited for fingertip/claw grip. High DPI. Slightly soft/rubbery sides so that you get a good grip. Don't care about extra buttons.

i think rubbery sides went out of fashion overall since they tend to degrade really badly with use, you might have to go down the route of getting a plain plastic mouse and putting aftermarket grips on it

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Kibner posted:

If you want just a general desktop mouse (NOT GAMING!) that is small and is pushed around by finger tips, https://www.dxtmouse.com/ has some great vertical mice. I have the older DXT Mouse 2 that I use for work and general desktop use and love it. Definitely has relieved some pains compared to using a more traditional mouse. The one I have goes up to 2000 dpi and is ambidextrous (there is a button to press to switch it from left-to-right orientation).

It is a bit heavy and you can knock it over on accident sometimes. Also, recentering it on the mousepad takes more time than a traditional mouse (you tilt and lift as opposed to just lift). Even with those negatives, I still enjoy it. You move it primarily with fingertips for small movements and your whole arm for larger movements.

---

My current mouse works fine, it's just not accurate/quick enough for maximum headshotting. It's very comfy for desktop use. I just want a similar compact mouse with high DPI.

Humerus posted:

Fwiw I'm not at all a competitive player, I mostly play Guild Wars 2 (an MMO) and single player FPS games and I'm absolutely smitten with my ultralight mouse, a Glorious Model D wireless. They actually just came out with an updated "Pro" model that removes the holes, the RGB, and the large logo which are all things I was pretty ambivalent about (but not enough to make me not buy it). I got mine for $60 and I think it's a steal for that (the Pro is $100 MSRP, the original is $80). If price had been no object I probably would have tried the Deathadder V3 Pro. I like ergonomic mice.
Anyway like I said I'm not a high level player but what's nice with the ultralight for me is that I don't even think about the mouse, the buttons, nothing. It's just there and it works and it's easy to move. I'm coming from a Razer Naga (I used the 6 button side) and a G502 before that. I didn't think light weight would matter to me but I really like it. With that being said I don't think I would notice or care about a difference of 10g or something (the model D is like 60 something iirc) but I think moving from over 100 to under 70 is definitely noticeable and nice.
These days there's no shortage of small companies making these lightweight mice with modern sensors and nice switches. Most seem to be ambidextrous mice and I definitely wanted one I could buy from Amazon (to return if I didn't like it) but they're even starting to show up there with more frequency. I'm solidly a palm gripper so I don't know what fingertip people look for but there's tons of "mini" mice from these companies like the Pulsar X2 Mini and Lamzu Atlantis Mini (which seems to be one of the more popular on Reddit).
It feels like we're in a mouse renaissance right now, and I'm definitely biased because I'm pissed at my G502 failing within months of the warranty running out but I'm not sure why anyone would be spending Logitech money these days.

The mice you suggest are too big and too similar to the Logitech Superlight.

repiv posted:

i think rubbery sides went out of fashion overall since they tend to degrade really badly with use, you might have to go down the route of getting a plain plastic mouse and putting aftermarket grips on it

That's a shame. Mine hasn't degraded at all.

I'm considering the Asus ROG Strix CARRY. I don't see any soft grips available for it though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I never use a wireless mouse but I just got one for shits. SteelSeries Rival 3. Nothing special. Anyway using it has been kind of annoying because of wake up lag. Is this par of the course for all wireless mice? Do the higher end ones do better? I understand for gaming this isn't an issue but I'm not gaming I'm doing rando productivity work with multiple computers at the same desk so I'm often letting the mouse go to sleep when I go back and forth between my machines.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I was a bit too quick to drag the Pro X Superlight in the mud.

I hadn't used G Hub yet. It ran at 800 dpi by default. It's more satisfying at its highest DPI. :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

So I never use a wireless mouse but I just got one for shits. SteelSeries Rival 3. Nothing special. Anyway using it has been kind of annoying because of wake up lag. Is this par of the course for all wireless mice? Do the higher end ones do better? I understand for gaming this isn't an issue but I'm not gaming I'm doing rando productivity work with multiple computers at the same desk so I'm often letting the mouse go to sleep when I go back and forth between my machines.

they all do that to conserve battery but it might be an excuse to try out synergy or some other virtual KVM to drive all your computers from one mouse/keyboard

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

Hard to get used to the complete absence of acceleration. Makes it hard to turn around in FPS. It was easier to aim for headshots with it though. Guessing that's from the much higher DPI compared to my old MS Sculpt Mobile Mouse.

Get used to not using it. Mouse accel is trash and imo you shouldn't be using it in FPS games anyways. And no, your aim isn't better because the DPI is higher. I run 800 dpi on a mouse that has a 3395 in it. Thats because my 360 is nearly 50cm. You're doing better because you're more in control with the weight loss and the sensor itself is just "better".

PirateBob posted:

You should look at https://www.eloshapes.com/index.html or something and find something similar to a shape you like and go from there.

If you don't like the feel of the logitech ultralight though. Theres a good chance that until you splash down for a 150+ bougie mouse, you're going to be unhappy with "cheap plastic feels" though. The GPX isn't what I'd call a "lovely plastic feeling mouse" and if you're that upset with how it feels I'm not even sure what you'd enjoy in the ultralight space. I mean yeah sure magnesium mice feel way more solid but we're talking 150+ here for a mouse that may have potential quality control issues and lovely customer service.

With that said theres heaps of good 3395 devices.

https://amzn.to/3SPkzRX

Recommended by lots of people. 35 bucks atm.

https://amzn.to/40SiBSx

Similar to the M600 I linked. I think it even can use the same software, Just comes in cute colors.

https://amzn.to/3ukZDYE

This has a few variants. Also gets recommends in a lot of places.

Return the logtiech and play with cheap clones. Find a shape you like then start searching for your end game but get ready to drop 100+ again.

PirateBob posted:

I was a bit too quick to drag the Pro X Superlight in the mud.

I hadn't used G Hub yet. It ran at 800 dpi by default. It's more satisfying at its highest DPI. :v:

800 is where us kings live. :smug:

FR tho. Glad you're seeing the light a bit. I'd still recommend checking out other clones tho if you aint a huge fan of that shape. I'm personally an ergo guy and ended up with the stormbreaker (170-180$) because it was the only magnesium ergo ultralight that exists. Quality control was a nightmare since I got a launch unit but they did ship me a new one that I'm waiting on that should have all the fixes. But this is like a huge "HEY HEADS UP" with those kinds of mice. You ARE going to DIY some poo poo. Customer service IS GOING TO BE TRASH. In fact, be ready to call the credit card company and reverse charges with some of these shithead companies. With that said Pwnage has been "fine" just really really really slow.

Kibner posted:

---

Welcome. Happy to info dump as much as I can. I was like most of ya'll not long ago just using whatever logitech, or whatever gaming company made at the time that I fell for whatever marketing poo poo they were pitching. Then I started min/maxing and realized that theres a whole crazy rear end world of ultra lights out there (mice in general tbh) and once I broke away from all the big named corpy stuff, I was a lot happier.

Shaocaholica posted:

The 35 or so dollar ones I linked have battery lives that are insane. The M600 is my "desktop" mouse right now and I haven't plugged it in for a month+ at this point. Softwares reporting 60% still. It also works wired so worst case you plug it in and use it wired for a little bit. And considering you're going to have a dongle + cable they give you, you can have that poo poo on your desk ready anyways.

You probably wont have battery issues tho.

They also wake up instantly anymore. No lag. No worries.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Well I'm coming from the opposite end of the spectrum with a heavy-rear end swiftpoint z (lol). It's not totally worn out yet but its on its way, any recs for mice with lots of ergonomically placed buttons that fit to small hands? Doesn't have to be as wild as the swift point.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Appoda posted:

Well I'm coming from the opposite end of the spectrum with a heavy-rear end swiftpoint z (lol). It's not totally worn out yet but its on its way, any recs for mice with lots of ergonomically placed buttons that fit to small hands? Doesn't have to be as wild as the swift point.

Other than the naga line corsairs SCIMITAR line, I have no idea who makes multi button mice these days. I gave up on more than 2 buttons years ago because it seemed like nobody made poo poo and I was over it with nagas and I just don't like corsair mice. :(

EDIT: I guess the G502 falls into that category. Theres a handful of buttons. and they have a star wars one available atm. I mean oof @ 160 bucks for a logitech mouse, but eh, its a thing!
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g502-x-plus-millennium-falcon-wireless-mouse.910-007143.html

Now to be fair you can get a 502 cheaper. Just, thats the plus x goku 666 weedlord special edition.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 23, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

my superlight review:

pros:
wireless is a significant upgrade over wired
great input latency
good battery life
many onboard profiles and onboard logitech mouse features like dpi shift
maybe it fixes double click issues plaguing logitech g pro wireless series?

cons:
low weight is overhyped
probably overpriced
absolute bare minimum of buttons which complicates profile or dpi switching

if you use this mouse, use omm which is strictly onboard profiles and not ghub

there's probably a much cheaper mouse that's just as good in the low latency mice tested on rtings but idk what that is:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/latency

Btw, what is omm and why is it preferable over ghub? I tried to enable onboard profiles on it through ghub, but after clicking the button and then activate (when it asks if you want to control it and unlock features), it just reverts to onboard profiles off :confused:

Also, discovered another min-maxing strat while reading about the surprisingly heavy Asus rog strix carry (they put two aa batteries in it, stupidly): You can buy lithium (they are lighter and last longer) aaa batteries and use an aaa to aa adapter (dirt cheap). That reduces the weight of the Carry from 120g to 95g lol.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 23, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

logitech onboard memory manager sets onboard profiles in a simple straightforward way:
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

ghub requires constant running in the background. setting onboard profiles and managing profiles is confusing. ghub had actual bugs ime where dpi shift would randomly glitch out. lots of people report flakiness. i would not be surprised if it adds input lag.

use ghub only if you need features like macros, automatic profile switching between desktop and games, and stupid rgb bullshit

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

logitech onboard memory manager sets onboard profiles in a simple straightforward way:
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

ghub requires constant running in the background. setting onboard profiles and managing profiles is confusing. ghub had actual bugs ime where dpi shift would randomly glitch out. lots of people report flakiness. i would not be surprised if it adds input lag.

use ghub only if you need features like macros, automatic profile switching between desktop and games, and stupid rgb bullshit

Thanks! Uninstalled Ghub.

Still unsure about keeping or selling the Pro X Superlight. Its big size and lovely plastic irks me for desktop use, it'd have to be for FPS gaming only, and it's kind of a hassle to keep two mice and two dongle cables on the desk, and two sensitivity settings.

Might try the Asus rog strix carry, with lithium aaa batteries to reduce weight.

I filtered for compact size on a price checker, and there are very few compact mice with high dpi.

The ones recommended by EbolaIvory are the same size as the Pro X Superlight, unfortunately.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 23, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PirateBob posted:

Thanks! Uninstalled Ghub.

Still unsure about keeping or selling the Pro X Superlight. Its big size and lovely plastic irks me for desktop use, it'd have to be for FPS gaming only, and it's kind of a hassle to keep two mice and two dongle cables on the desk, and two sensitivity settings.

Might try the Asus rog strix carry, with lithium aaa batteries to reduce weight.

I filtered for compact size on a price checker, and there are very few compact mice with high dpi.

The ones recommended by EbolaIvory are the same size as the Pro X Superlight, unfortunately.

Mouse shape is one of those things that tends to just be comfortable or not since folks have different hands and are used to different mice. But, if you know one you like or have you can check out the rtings 3d shape comparison tool to see what other mice are shaped like in comparison to one you know:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Yeah, I took a look at the eloshapes site EbolaIvory posted. Neither that site nor rtings.com have the glorious MS Sculpt Mobile Mouse though.

I've ordered the ROG strix carry (after reading that the sides are rubber :v:) and lithium aaa batteries + adapters. It'll be a bit on the heavy side (~95g) even with that, but we'll see.

What's the deal with skates? What do you change by adding custom ones?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 23, 2023

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

There's a Coolermaster mouse, MM720 that's pretty short. It has a ring finger rest too. It's wired only but if you get it and like the shape you can import a Xenics Titan GE which is a copy but wireless. Of course when I say import I mean buy from any number of random eBay sellers so good luck!

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

PirateBob posted:

There was a time where every gaming mouse that was made used really bad stock skates that made the mouse feel like you were moving it through frozen mud. Nowadays most mouse makers are using 100% PTFE feet so you don't need to change them as soon as you get the mouse. Personally I keep a few pairs of mouse feet on hand as mice feet will wear down over time(like in a year or 2) and it is a cheap way to keep a mouse going if you find moving it around to be sluggish after some time. The reddit hivemind is convinced there is a big difference between companies but it is more the mouse pad than the mouse feet.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

Some are faster or slower than others.
Some react differently to different mats.

PirateBob posted:

Yeah, I took a look at the eloshapes site EbolaIvory posted. Neither that site nor rtings.com have the glorious MS Sculpt Mobile Mouse though.

https://shop.g-wolves.com/products/g-wolves-hsk-pro-4k-wireless-mouse

Fingertip mice exist. Obviously don't buy that insanely overpriced thing but I'm sure theres a clone!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 23, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Some are faster or slower than others.
Some react differently to different mats.

https://shop.g-wolves.com/products/g-wolves-hsk-pro-4k-wireless-mouse

Fingertip mice exist. Obviously don't buy that insanely overpriced thing but I'm sure theres a clone!

How would you go about finding a clone? I searched for fingertip mouse and only that g-wolves thing came up on the aggregator (though this is for the market in my small country). $180 and 1 year warranty, lol.

For now I'll be trying out the Asus rog strix carry with smaller lighter batteries inside. I ordered it all yesterday. Should take the mouse to an acceptable weight, hopefully. If the skates are good it shouldn't be too hard to make short fast movements with it.

And, knowing I'm spamming the thread a bit, btw, what mousepad material and size do you guys use? I have a new Deltaco kb-200 atm, and I'll be buying new ones more regularly after seeing how much extra drag there was on the old one. It's only 230mm wide though. Makes low sens gaming a bit restricted.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 24, 2023

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

PirateBob posted:

How would you go about finding a clone? I searched for fingertip mouse and only that g-wolves thing came up on the aggregator (though this is for the market in my small country). $180 and 1 year warranty, lol.

For now I'll be trying out the Asus rog strix carry with smaller lighter batteries inside. I ordered it all yesterday. Should take the mouse to an acceptable weight, hopefully. If the skates are good it shouldn't be too hard to make short fast movements with it.

And, knowing I'm spamming the thread a bit, btw, what mousepad material and size do you guys use? I have a new Deltaco kb-200 atm, and I'll be buying new ones more regularly after seeing how much extra drag there was on the old one. It's only 230mm wide though. Makes low sens gaming a bit restricted.

I don't have links because I've never really looked into it but a lot of people gut a Logitech G305 (or maybe 303 I don't really remember) and then use a 3D printed shell to get a shape/size similar to that HSK. I've seen shells on Etsy, you could probably buy the files too if you have access to a printer.

I use an X-ray Pad Aqua Control + and it's great. I mean again I'm not super competitive but it feels smooth, it's fairly thick, has stitched edges. No frills but I mean it's a mousepad? It was a little more expensive than a similar size from a gamer brand (Corsair, Asus, etc) but I think it's also thicker and it doesn't have any obnoxious graphics on it, just the company name in a corner.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Btw, for all of Logitech's claims on the box of "0 accel, 0 smoothing, 0 bla bla bla", the Pro X Superlight is heavily biased towards horizontal movement. The feet make it so that moving the mouse up and down needs much more effort.

Edit:
Never mind. Checked the box again. It comes with an extra PTFE bit that removes most of that bias.

It also comes with thin adhesive rubber bits that you can fasten on the sides. Yay. :v:

I should check things out more carefully before bitching.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 24, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

Jump onto Aliexpress and all those sites, look up small form factor mice, then make sure they have a good sensor. 3395 is the standard. I don't see any exact clones myself of those mice but fingertip mice are just mice that can be used fingertip so basically any low profile ultralight fits that bill.

You can use RJNs website to figure out mice that fit your hand then use ELO shapes to compare cheap versions from amazon/ali.

https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-search

PirateBob posted:

I have this in one of the big gently caress off sizes with a custom print.
https://shop.x-raypad.com/shop/custom-aqua-control-gaming-mouse-pads/

its a nice mat. Nice company. Great customer service. Shipping is loving wild but honestly 50ish shipped for this nice of a mat is whatever.

PirateBob posted:

Btw, for all of Logitech's claims on the box of "0 accel, 0 smoothing, 0 bla bla bla", the Pro X Superlight is heavily biased towards horizontal movement. The feet make it so that moving the mouse up and down needs much more effort.

Edit:
Never mind. Checked the box again. It comes with an extra PTFE bit that removes most of that bias.

It also comes with thin adhesive rubber bits that you can fasten on the sides. Yay. :v:

I should check things out more carefully before bitching.

Funny stuff. Depending on mousemat that can happen as well. Some mats have texture one way but not the other, etc etc.

Humerus posted:

I don't have links because I've never really looked into it but a lot of people gut a Logitech G305 (or maybe 303 I don't really remember) and then use a 3D printed shell to get a shape/size similar to that HSK. I've seen shells on Etsy, you could probably buy the files too if you have access to a printer.

This is insanely common now. Printing fingertip stuff is sort of the go to when they are that small if you have access. The market for those limited run mice is insane. Hell the one is upwards of 500+ dollars to find a nice one now. wtf?

Edit : Black Friday deals are pretty insane at pwnage.
https://pwnage.com/collections/limited-doorbuster-bundles

EDIT 2: My nacho custom stormbreaker came. If all units going forward have this level of quality control then I could probably recommend the thing at full retail. Its also so loving pretty. Its still probably a dice roll outside of new limited colors but god drat am I way happier now.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 26, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Jump onto Aliexpress and all those sites, look up small form factor mice, then make sure they have a good sensor. 3395 is the standard. I don't see any exact clones myself of those mice but fingertip mice are just mice that can be used fingertip so basically any low profile ultralight fits that bill.

You can use RJNs website to figure out mice that fit your hand then use ELO shapes to compare cheap versions from amazon/ali.

https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-search

Hm. When I enter my hand size and select fingertip grip, it recommends mice such as the Pro X, mice with 12-13 cm length. That's what I don't want. :ssj:

Entering length and width below what I have gives some leads though. Thanks.

The rog strix carry should arrive in a couple of days, I'll see how that one works out first. :)

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 26, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

Hm. When I enter my hand size and select fingertip grip, it recommends mice such as the Pro X, mice with 12-13 cm length. That's what I don't want. :ssj:

Thats because "in theory" that part of the mouse probably wont matter if you're really choking up as far as you'd need to on those tiny mice. In theory of course.

PirateBob posted:

The rog strix carry should arrive in a couple of days, I'll see how that one works out first. :)

Which one? I've personally never been a fan of ASUS mice but I did have a pretty decent linear keyboard they made.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Thats because "in theory" that part of the mouse probably wont matter if you're really choking up as far as you'd need to on those tiny mice. In theory of course.

Which one? I've personally never been a fan of ASUS mice but I did have a pretty decent linear keyboard they made.

What do you mean by "choking up as far as you'd need to"?

Afaik there's only one Asus ROG Strix Carry. It's the compact/travel size one, hence the name Carry.

I've since discovered it's got a somewhat inferior sensor though. A 3330. It's a cheaper one but should perform okay.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

What do you mean by "choking up as far as you'd need to"?

Like if you're finger tip gripping you shouldn't really be resting your palm anyways and most mice that are non ergo have low backs. This combined with you in theory being near the front of the click buttons means even if the mouse is a little longer or whatever, you probably wont rest on it if you're actually finger tip gripping.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you are in fact finger tip gripping a longer mouse shouldn't matter. Obviously you don't want it to be a limo or something but your average ultralight shouldn't be a bother.

Also that ASUS seems fine. 1k polling, decent battery/sensor. Yeah sure it aint the new hotness sensor wise but like whatever. Looks like what you want size/shape wise for sure.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 27, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Like if you're finger tip gripping you shouldn't really be resting your palm anyways and most mice that are non ergo have low backs. This combined with you in theory being near the front of the click buttons means even if the mouse is a little longer or whatever, you probably wont rest on it if you're actually finger tip gripping.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you are in fact finger tip gripping a longer mouse shouldn't matter. Obviously you don't want it to be a limo or something but your average ultralight shouldn't be a bother.

Also that ASUS seems fine. 1k polling, decent battery/sensor. Yeah sure it aint the new hotness sensor wise but like whatever. Looks like what you want size/shape wise for sure.

The length does matter because 1) it affects the feel of the mouse when you move it, there's a presence of its shape and the slight friction of the needlessly long end that you feel, and 2) if you hold it by the front/mid, it'll butt into your palm when you move it downwards. The Pro X is tolerable for fingertip grip, but it's clearly not designed for anything but palm grip barbarians.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

The length does matter because 1) it affects the feel of the mouse when you move it, there's a presence of its shape and the slight friction of the needlessly long end that you feel, and 2) if you hold it by the front/mid, it'll butt into your palm when you move it downwards. The Pro X is tolerable for fingertip grip, but it's clearly not designed for anything but palm grip barbarians.

Then you're drooping your palm a bit or have smaller hands. I have very average hands with long thumbs and can't imagine hitting my palm while finger tipping. At least with mice such as the M600 in size/shape. and definitely not to an extent I would notice. My Stormbreaker/G703 have humps that you simply can't ignore because they are ergo mice ya know?

I mean it dont matter, everyones grips a bit dif but a standard finger grip with average or larger hands, id imagine you shouldn't be running your palm into that part of the mouse regularly. But again, everyones a bit different.

With that all said I kinda hybrid fingertip/palm myself. Opens up a lot of devices that way + I'm not a hardcore believer of fingertip being the true one god of grips.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 27, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Then you're drooping your palm a bit or have smaller hands. I have very average hands with long thumbs and can't imagine hitting my palm while finger tipping. At least with mice such as the M600 in size/shape. and definitely not to an extent I would notice. My Stormbreaker/G703 have humps that you simply can't ignore because they are ergo mice ya know?

I mean it dont matter, everyones grips a bit dif but a standard finger grip with average or larger hands, id imagine you shouldn't be running your palm into that part of the mouse regularly. But again, everyones a bit different.

With that all said I kinda hybrid fingertip/palm myself. Opens up a lot of devices that way + I'm not a hardcore believer of fingertip being the true one god of grips.

It's only when you have the wrist flat on your desk that this will happen. If you don't lift or move your hand, only moving the mouse with the fingertips, you're going to run out of space after a few inches. It's not really a problem that'll happen often, but it's something that wouldn't happen with a shorter mouse.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

almost all mice are going to have that problem since they accommodate different grips.

if you want to avoid it, you need to get an obviously shortened mouse.

fwiw i fingertip with that mouse with larger hands and strictly finger vertical ROM is fine at 22.5-32.5 cm/360. yes, vertical finger ROM will be terrible if you use low sensitivities.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Trying the Asus ROG Strix Carry now. It's heavy as gently caress. And a bit imbalanced in weight distribution, heavier towards the back, which kinda sucks. Sensor seems great though.

My plan was to use Lithium AAA batteries with adapters in it, but the mouse's manual says you should only use Alkaline batteries in it. Is that something I need to take seriously?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

generally when a device says to only use alkaline batteries what they mean is the device is designed to run on 1.5 volts, and might misbehave with common rechargables that are only 1.2 volts

lithium cells put out about 3.7v by themselves, so the ones designed to replace AA/AAAs have a little regulator inside which drops the voltage to 1.5v, making them equivalent to alkalines

the one catch is that the mouse will probably report the battery as always 100% full until it suddenly dies, since the batteries internal regulation disguises the voltage drop of the actual cell as it drains

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

repiv posted:

generally when a device says to only use alkaline batteries what they mean is the device is designed to run on 1.5 volts, and might misbehave with common rechargables that are only 1.2 volts

lithium cells put out about 3.7v by themselves, so the ones designed to replace AA/AAAs have a little regulator inside which drops the voltage to 1.5v, making them equivalent to alkalines

the one catch is that the mouse will probably report the battery as always 100% full until it suddenly dies, since the batteries internal regulation disguises the voltage drop of the actual cell as it drains

Alright, thanks. I got the AAA Lithium batteries in now. This reduces the weight by a very important amount. I think I can use this mouse now. The shape and grip (rifled rubber on the sides) is great. If this mouse had been made with the in-built rechargable lightweight battery of the Pro X, it'd be perfect.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

:aaa:

So this is why my Xbox controller with rechargeable AAs always reports to Windows as full or nearly full battery? The more you know!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

only if they're rechargable lithium AAs, if they use a standard chemistry then it's just microsoft being bad at software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Where does Windows even show the battery level?