Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

me politely watching Smiley Face because my wife said it used to be her favorite movie in college

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

me politely watching Smiley Face because my wife said it used to be her favorite movie in college

that movie sounds terrible, should i watch it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

500 bad dogs posted:

that movie sounds terrible, should i watch it

honestly, there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes, it made an impression on me at the very least and anna farris is pretty good in everything she's in

but no, if you're gonna watch an Anna Farris movie, watch Observe and Report

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
watch them both back to back you'll have a great time

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

now would actually be the perfect time to walk into a pitch meeting with like Netflix and say "I wanna do a mini-series about SomethingAwful.com and the downfall of its founder" because people love True Crime documentaries about weird guys who turn out to be pieces of poo poo

"It was spooky, I sent a dossier of screenshots and background info to the local authorities. I got a response back from someone who claimed to be both chief of police and secret service in their signature block and that's when I knew it was gonna be swept under the rug. So, I uploaded a copy of the dox to the SFD Discord, it was an old Guildwars 2 guild and they had a channel where they posted pictures of their poop. Anyways I typed "this belongs here" and washed my hands of the whole thing"

-KirbyKhan, Soiled Meat

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Popy posted:

Oppenheimer is prob my fav movie of the year i liked it more then i expected it had me hooked for the entire 5hr runtime

with oppenheimer and killers of the flower moon 2023 is 2/2 for longass movies that are so good they breeze by

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

yeah I think that was my fav part

yeah it ruled, i was surprised nolan was so willing to portray truman as the obnoxious pig headed monster that he was

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Started watching 'Fall of the House of Usher'. Holy crap that is really well made. Every episode a nod to a different Poe story. Really clever. But holy hell Mark Hamill - I feel like watching a performance from some 1980s italian scifi-pulp flick.

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

busalover posted:

Started watching 'Fall of the House of Usher'. Holy crap that is really well made. Every episode a nod to a different Poe story. Really clever. But holy hell Mark Hamill - I feel like watching a performance from some 1980s italian scifi-pulp flick.

it was good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

500 bad dogs posted:

why didnt you like it i thought it was fine

bad might be a bit strong in relativisitc terms because there's actual lot of Bad TV that's much worse. but it was bad for fargo. way too many moving parts and people that i didn't give a poo poo about, the slaver stuff sucks and felt like it was just added on to remember racism? its bad right guys? #blm, and it was missing the distinct coen cat-and-mouse flow from past seasons and movies. but overall just too much people, not good enough arcs or stories

i guess I was just mad that S1-S3 are incredible amazing tv followed up by that?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

bad might be a bit strong in relativisitc terms because there's actual lot of Bad TV that's much worse

this is why it's important to sample something like Jack Osbourne's ghost hunting shows, SHOWS, every once in a while to remind yourself of what 90% of the field looks like

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

Xaris posted:

bad might be a bit strong in relativisitc terms because there's actual lot of Bad TV that's much worse. but it was bad for fargo. way too many moving parts and people that i didn't give a poo poo about, the slaver stuff sucks and felt like it was just added on to remember racism? its bad right guys? #blm, and it was missing the distinct coen cat-and-mouse flow from past seasons and movies. but overall just too much people, not good enough arcs or stories

i guess I was just mad that S1-S3 are incredible amazing tv followed up by that?

makes sense

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1727444547494437235

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What else was there to the squid show except the anti-capitalist allegory?

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

cool games to play

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

McCloud posted:

it's about how reality tv is uhhhh wait gently caress

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

McCloud posted:

it's about family

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god my friends and i loved this movie when we could still get absolutely wrecked off a joint

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

McCloud posted:

Physical and psychological torture.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

watching Rubdown (1993) which feels like a cinemax sex thriller that seems like its gonna get a lot hornier than it actually does, theres a lot of fun laughable stuff going on but i had to stop the movie and really savor one of my favorite things in movies: when someone is getting beat up and has to do like half of the work or more on behalf of their assailants

https://i.imgur.com/zePWYhz.mp4

the little hops to sell the punches are delightful, and that running jump onto the car hood seems to have even taken the guy that was supposed to be throwing him by surprise

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
maybe he just hates cars and wanted to get in an little elbow drop

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

1glitch0 posted:

The "exciting thing happens, now one year ago" is my absolutely most hated thing in stories. And I turn off immediately.

Oh boy, do I have a clip to show yo-

quote:

I liked when Rick and Morty made fun of the trope with that dumb screenwriter character.

Ah.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Oh boy, do I have a clip to show yo-

Ah.

lol. i hate it so bad!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Capitalist watches a show where the premise is people murdering each other to win a bunch of money dropping into a bowl to pay their credit card bills and thinks capitalism is just a little tiny inconsequential part of the story.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
If at the end of the squid show, one guy wins a lot of money, it's a pro-capitalist work, that shows if you work hard you can come out on top.

Or a message that morally horrible people should be poor and are getting what they deserve.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

1glitch0 posted:

The "exciting thing happens, now one year ago" is my absolutely most hated thing in stories. And I turn off immediately. I liked when Rick and Morty made fun of the trope with that dumb screenwriter character.

I know right? It feels like Zeno's Paradox for storytelling (and I thought long running anime was bad for that) and kills any sense of flow or progression stone dead. And I suspect often ends up with the writers forgetting they were writing a flashback in the first place.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the moral of squid games is that you should literally become ronald mcdonald

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

indigi posted:

yeah it totally came around in the end. I just hate when shows do NOW. 18 MONTHS AGO. NOW AGAIN. THREE WEEKS AGO. basically at all since it's virtually always a substitute for artful storytelling, so having it multiple times in the first quarter of the first episode just made me mad and red. but I'll watch homegirl in anything and the sets/wardrobe/effects were all very well done

Yo Yellowjackets is the worst offender. The first episode aired 2 years and one day ago. Since then, there's been two whole seasons, 19 one hour long episodes.They still haven't gotten to the point in the timeline they showed us in the first episode. A two hour movie might take an hour and a half to catch you up to speed on what happened in the first scene. This show has had 19 long episodes to catch us up. And. They. Still. Haven't. Done. It. I wish I'd never watched any of it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mystery boxes can go to hell. Cliffhangers can get hosed to death by wolves. Just give me some simple plot, no mysteries. Life is already full of mystery, fiction should be an escape.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I love all kinds of stories

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

I love all kinds of stories

i only like good stories

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Mystery boxes can go to hell. Cliffhangers can get hosed to death by wolves. Just give me some simple plot, no mysteries. Life is already full of mystery, fiction should be an escape.

cliffhangers can be fine. the problem is cliffhangers are intended to keep selling you ads / returning to the next comic iteration /whatever. their design is not usually artistic but arising from capitalism. but on an artistic level, anticipation can be a good thing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yo Yellowjackets is the worst offender. The first episode aired 2 years and one day ago. Since then, there's been two whole seasons, 19 one hour long episodes.They still haven't gotten to the point in the timeline they showed us in the first episode. A two hour movie might take an hour and a half to catch you up to speed on what happened in the first scene. This show has had 19 long episodes to catch us up. And. They. Still. Haven't. Done. It. I wish I'd never watched any of it.

yeah this was a huge disappointment. really great performances but the more insane poo poo + pacing were the weakest parts

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Fall of the House of Usher I thought played well with the trope. One through-line then flashbacks for clarity.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

i only like good stories

cliffhangers can be fine. the problem is cliffhangers are intended to keep selling you ads / returning to the next comic iteration /whatever. their design is not usually artistic but arising from capitalism. but on an artistic level, anticipation can be a good thing

i fuckin love bad stories

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
what's been the best anthology shows since rod sterling's night gallery/twilight zone?

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
probably tales from the crypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

like a third of love, death and robots was really good