Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lobok posted:

The bonus levels also had their own cap but yeah it definitely extended the progression system. What was nice was you still "levelled" infinitely even after the new cap purely for the nice sound and visual effect. I know they increased the health cap after launch but I don't remember if what they called the Superior levels were in from the start.

Huh, it did? I got 100% in that game twice, and then did the DLCs, and don't remember hitting that point. Maybe I did but didn't realize it cause the level up ping was still going off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Huh, it did? I got 100% in that game twice, and then did the DLCs, and don't remember hitting that point. Maybe I did but didn't realize it cause the level up ping was still going off.

The 1% boost ended eventually, yeah. I spent... let's say many hours in that game and if the damage boosts had kept going I would have ended up one-shotting everybody.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That's how you get The Surge Ng+ (or in the case of one of my savegames Ng++++) where everything is hilariously broken and challenge is replaced by working out the most overpowered or unintentionally synergistic combination of implants way beyond the intended maximum power level and using it to style on enemies.

Which is to say I approve.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Breetai posted:

That's how you get The Surge Ng+ (or in the case of one of my savegames Ng++++) where everything is hilariously broken and challenge is replaced by working out the most overpowered or unintentionally synergistic combination of implants way beyond the intended maximum power level and using it to style on enemies.

I'm cool with it if it's optional. Spider-Man 2 has that in a sense because the health and damage upgrades are their own separate upgrade trees so you can be max level with your main stats still where they were at the start of the game.

Would be even nicer if the damage tree was just pure damage, though. It has some nice perks that I would like to have without having to boost my damage to earn them.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I think my gauge for bad skill trees in games is completely skewed since I played AssCreed Valhalla. That game had 90% of the tree be nodes that were like 0.05% increase to whatever the gently caress and now everything else looks flawless in comparison.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crowetron posted:

I think my gauge for bad skill trees in games is completely skewed since I played AssCreed Valhalla. That game had 90% of the tree be nodes that were like 0.05% increase to whatever the gently caress and now everything else looks flawless in comparison.

And it had the most incredibly useless implementation, being in a giant constellation map so you'd just have to constantly scroll around to find where everything was randomly placed. God, I hated that so much, I eventually just played on easy and dumped my skill points into whatever was closest to the cursor just to get them out of the way.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

actually you should've just put all your points into +crit damage, +crit chance at max health, and +health on hit

instakills everything but bosses, and usually brings them down in a few hits

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

oh wait I'm thinking of odyssey lol yeah valhalla is just a dogshit game in general

rear end creed with no stealth, assassinations, or fun history characters....a shameful rear end creed

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Not every game needs a fuckin rpg style skill tree!!!

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Meowywitch posted:

This is true but, for some reason they tickle my brain and I love them :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Meowywitch posted:

But how else will I know I'm getting better at tetris than if the game lets me unlock that sick move where you place a block, then rotate it at the last second to slide it into an otherwise impossible spot.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Let alone a path of exile style skill web/constellation that's 9 miles across.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arrath posted:

Let alone a path of exile style skill web/constellation that's 9 miles across.

reminder that path of exile has TWO of these and it's the second one that's actually the good one

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Breetai posted:

I must suck at The Surge because I remember NG+ being so vastly harder than the first playthrough I gave up like 10% of the way in. The Surge 2, on the other hand...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Small Saga has a series of side quests where you run errands for a guy, and these quests will span the whole game. Right now I'm at a part where I bring a piece of cloth to a seamstress so she can make... something. She tells you "alright it'll be ready in 30 minutes"

Main Character: "30 minutes? Like real life minutes?"

"...minutes are real life minutes."

Cute.

Problem is, this is the second to last sidequest I have to do in the game, with the other sidequest being a brand new area that I have zero clue about other than a couple characters I know I'm likely to find/possibly fight. I went and poked around at a few places that I haven't been back to in a while, but I've already wrapped up the return-to-area side quests there so there's nothing new to do. It's all empty. I pretty much picked up the game again tonight, remembered I had to drop this off, talked to the seamstress, tried to waste time, only wasted about 15 minutes, and still have 15 more minutes to go before it's been 30 minutes. So far, this is fine. Annoying, but fine.

This is in a town that literally has a gladiatorial arena. I just unlocked an ability for the bard character where I can literally play whatever music I want and see what effects happen as an "attack" during a fight. There are no random battles in the game, so you can only fight enemies when there's a scripted battle as part of the story or a side quest. I am sitting next to the best excuse in the game to refight earlier enemies, or harder versions of those enemies, or just fight literally anything in order to pass the time, and you can't even walk into the gladiator arena! I want to experiment with this new ability! :mad:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Moon Monster posted:

I must suck at The Surge because I remember NG+ being so vastly harder than the first playthrough I gave up like 10% of the way in. The Surge 2, on the other hand...

Weird in my experience it's the other way around because in S2 you get endlessly respawning splitter enemies inserted into levels and instead of getting additional versions of implants you just get more scrap when you pick up something you already have, while in S1 the Ng+ enemies don't ever respawn after the first time you kill them, and you can get multiples of implants they you're only intended to get one of.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Coral Island, a HM/Stardew Valley-alike has 6 perks per skill tree, and you can get all of them by levelling + progression stuff.
A shame a bunch of them are aggressively mediocre, to the point where they seem like traps.

A great example is the forester one that gives a 2% chance for hardwood.
That's 2% per tree you fell, apparently, meaning you have to chop down every tree on the farm + map to get a chance for 1-2 drops, I guess? I think realistically it might proc 1-2 times total for an entire playthrough.
Checking the wiki it's 2% for a mature tree to drop 1 piece of hardwood... meaning you likely have to chop down 100+ trees to get the amount of hardwood you'd get from one of the big tree trunks that sometimes spawns.

I don't understand why game devs put in perks that are basically useless. It's very likely that you could pick that and only have it trigger once or twice in an entire playthrough.
There's a weird spread between useful things that trigger regularly (20% chance for 2x kelp for example.), and things that do something nice, but trigger way too rarely to be worth it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s all down to irregular small rewards being something that players like (the slot machine thing) so designers are incentivized to have a lot of little signs of progress and it turns out poo poo’s hard to come up with

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't mind little 2% incremental progresses, unless they don't stack :confused:

A single unstackable 2% increase is I think, we all agree, real sad

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Those low percents look bad, until you realize that you are actually going to be cracking open thousands of rocks and trash piles.

Some skills are just obscenely good, though, like the one that boosts your movement speed by 50% when you are sneaking with your bug net.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SubNat posted:

Coral Island, a HM/Stardew Valley-alike has 6 perks per skill tree, and you can get all of them by levelling + progression stuff.
A shame a bunch of them are aggressively mediocre, to the point where they seem like traps.

A great example is the forester one that gives a 2% chance for hardwood.
That's 2% per tree you fell, apparently, meaning you have to chop down every tree on the farm + map to get a chance for 1-2 drops, I guess? I think realistically it might proc 1-2 times total for an entire playthrough.
Checking the wiki it's 2% for a mature tree to drop 1 piece of hardwood... meaning you likely have to chop down 100+ trees to get the amount of hardwood you'd get from one of the big tree trunks that sometimes spawns.

I don't understand why game devs put in perks that are basically useless. It's very likely that you could pick that and only have it trigger once or twice in an entire playthrough.
There's a weird spread between useful things that trigger regularly (20% chance for 2x kelp for example.), and things that do something nice, but trigger way too rarely to be worth it.

The bigger problem with stuff like that is that they're absolutely not all made equal either. Like in stardew valley you get that one that gives you a small chance for hardwood from each tree since you chop down a ton of trees. But the alternative to forester is gatherer which gives you a 20% chance to double items you harvest from the ground instead of 25% more wood, some of which are rare and hard to find and its equivalent to the hardwood perk is that foraged items are always of the highest quality, which is good for things you can't grow yourself.

But compare all of that to fishing. Where one profession is that your fish are worth 25% more, and the other is that it's cheaper to make crab pots, a passive method of fishing specific creatures that you don't actually need to make that many of because they aren't consumed once placed and said creatures are often found on the beach in the first place. Their second tier perks are that Fish are worth 50% more and that your crab pots don't produce junk items.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
related bitch: why do farming games need those action rpg caves. i just want to farm, i don't want to have to do the caves bit. just let me do the gathering and farming parts please.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maxwell Lord posted:

It’s all down to irregular small rewards being something that players like (the slot machine thing) so designers are incentivized to have a lot of little signs of progress and it turns out poo poo’s hard to come up with

Problem is it's only progress on paper. When the improvements are too slight they're not noticeable. I'd rather collect lots of small little things or work towards enough XP that I can cash in all at once for a significant boost is obvious and tangible as soon as I get it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
indie timeloop rpg Of Stars and Time is getting talked up and after skimming some trailers i wish that the people who wrote dialogue for these games would understand that spamming a half-dozen punctuation marks at the end of every sentence is the kind of thing that only works for comedic effect

when you have character barfing heaps of exclamation/question marks during dramatic moments it makes them sound like a bad email forward

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

indie timeloop rpg Of Stars and Time is getting talked up and after skimming some trailers i wish that the people who wrote dialogue for these games would understand that spamming a half-dozen punctuation marks at the end of every sentence is the kind of thing that only works for comedic effect

when you have character barfing heaps of exclamation/question marks during dramatic moments it makes them sound like a bad email forward

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Those low percents look bad, until you realize that you are actually going to be cracking open thousands of rocks and trash piles.

Some skills are just obscenely good, though, like the one that boosts your movement speed by 50% when you are sneaking with your bug net.

Yeah, those low percents on trash/rocks are perfectly fine, but the one for hardwood just seems like it's missing a digit.

I unlocked the 'deep woods', and it has 1-2 regenerating logs, that drop 5 hardwood each. So 5-10 hardwood per trip.
To get that much from the perk, I'd have to select the perk + chop down 250-500 mature trees. It just seems so weak it has to be a mistake somehow.
I'm well through summer and I doubt I've chopped down more than a few dozen trees total.

e: Also the seas are full of eldritch horrors because a lot of the undersea critters use the wrong models (butterflies, mantises etc) that explode into polygonal blobs, temporarily reforming into something vaguely similar (but the wrong colour) before turning into a diffuse blob again.
But I'm actually not sure if that's dragging it down or up.
Capturing a weird, blood red praying mantis at -40m, just to have it be some jellyfish could just be mr harem farmer having diving sickness.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Nov 24, 2023

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I don't mean this in an insulting way, but honestly that might just be a generational gap thing :v:

https://twitter.com/ISAT_game/status/1726633125243973817

Looking at the examples in the trailer, that just looks like pretty normal, 'this is how young people genuinely write' dialogue. Excess punctuation for effect (not just comedic) was a thing when I was in high school like a decade ago, and I even have coworkers who sometimes send texts/Teams messages like that.

...also 'a bad email forward' is a thing I don't even think has been a thing since like, the 00s. Admittedly I explicitly refuse to interact with older family members online so maybe aunts and uncles are still sending out FW:FW:FW:FW:FW: HUH?!?!?!?!? emails on the reg, but I definitely haven't seen them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Looking at that trailer, the manic punctuation is annoying to me, too. That (and just awful translation) was why couldn't stand Xenogears. Just... constant!?!?! ....??? punctuation abuse!!!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
JRPGs and visual novels love ellipses for some reason...you can see the influence because some millenials never end a sentence with just a period...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

credburn posted:

Looking at that trailer, the manic punctuation is annoying to me, too. That (and just awful translation) was why couldn't stand Xenogears. Just... constant!?!?! ....??? punctuation abuse!!!

in suikoden 2 during the final standoff with luca blight i remember some dialogue boxes that had more exclamation marks than text

i wonder why games got localized like that back in the day

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ishikabibble posted:

I don't mean this in an insulting way, but honestly that might just be a generational gap thing :v:

https://twitter.com/ISAT_game/status/1726633125243973817

Looking at the examples in the trailer, that just looks like pretty normal, 'this is how young people genuinely write' dialogue. Excess punctuation for effect (not just comedic) was a thing when I was in high school like a decade ago, and I even have coworkers who sometimes send texts/Teams messages like that.

...also 'a bad email forward' is a thing I don't even think has been a thing since like, the 00s. Admittedly I explicitly refuse to interact with older family members online so maybe aunts and uncles are still sending out FW:FW:FW:FW:FW: HUH?!?!?!?!? emails on the reg, but I definitely haven't seen them.

It also seems like the instances of A LOT of punctuation are mostly from the really shout-y people; the kid and the big guy. Which tracks fine to me, you need to express that these guys are shouting. And it's never excessive, either; it's a grammatically incorrect amount, sure, but I never looked at any of those lines and thought it was too much.

Also, the chain email forwards have mostly migrated into chain Facebook messages. So that poster's so out of touch that they're out of touch with the old out-of-touch cranks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Sanguine Dancers in Ghostwire Tokyo are the worst enemies, because you can just be exploring an area then they'll spawn in seemingly randomly and it totally interrupts the flow of exploration to have to deal with a tough, fast, defensive fucker who won't leave you alone. They aren't even part of the original game's design, they are just dlc enemies that as a result feel like they shouldn't be there.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

General callout to every time a game lets you answer a question "yes" or "no," but if you say "no" you just get asked again, pretty please, ad infinitum.

Bonus callout to every time a game gives you two dialogue options: "Yes" and "Sure!".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, Yes(sarcastic), and No(yes)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Every game should be like Super Paper Mario, where you will game over if you obstinately refuse to help for long enough

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a fun variant in the Spider's Thread DLC missions in Ghostwire Tokyo, where a spirit asks you questions but if you are dishonest he hurts you, and if you answer a particular question incorrectly he outright kills you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes, Yes(sarcastic), and No(yes)

The Fallout 4 mod that just showed the actual line for all the responses was a real gift for recognizing how much that game doesn't actually give a poo poo.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cleretic posted:

It also seems like the instances of A LOT of punctuation are mostly from the really shout-y people; the kid and the big guy.

And the person posting that announcement, so presumably it's a deliberate stylistic choice or the author just... writes like that.

"HEY! IT'S FINALLY HERE!!! In Stars and Time is OUT NOW!!"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Every game should be like Super Paper Mario, where you will game over if you obstinately refuse to help for long enough

This was such a meanspirited joke, like it’s super funny but there not being a flag for your file to just skip the intro once you get the game over is kind of obnoxious, given most JRPGs will just railroad you into the right option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cleretic posted:

The Fallout 4 mod that just showed the actual line for all the responses was a real gift for recognizing how much that game doesn't actually give a poo poo.

I installed that pretty much from the start. Fallout 4 was a pretty dang good game