Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

hypnophant posted:

Settings > Privacy & Security > Input Monitoring, see what has permissions

This is a good idea, but still -

eightysixed posted:

But how did you accidentally hit CMD + . in the first place? :v:

edit: wait, with all of that being said, is there a way to shortcut opening Notes :tviv:
I'd do that in a heart beat. I have too much crap on my dock anyway as it is, but if I could hit CMD + N or something....

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I only have Finder, Safari, and Mail on my Dock. Everything else I open with Spotlight.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

That's a fair point, but I work on a lot of stuff that uses different apps, and if there's that little dot or whatever under it, I know I didn't save and still need to keep moving :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

eightysixed posted:

edit: wait, with all of that being said, is there a way to shortcut opening Notes :tviv:
I'd do that in a heart beat. I have too much crap on my dock anyway as it is, but if I could hit CMD + N or something....

There's a lot of apps out there that let you define your own shortcuts if you want.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Interested in any Mac Black Friday app deals? This is a good list.

https://github.com/mRs-/Black-Friday-Deals

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Wow, thanks for this. Grabbing at least three from the Productivity category.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a quicker method of moving a given window to a given screen? I know you can do so via the Window dropdown at the top, but there doesn't appear to be a key command. Since you can't drag a window across a screen with a maximized app, this quickly become as pain in the rear end.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Is there a quicker method of moving a given window to a given screen? I know you can do so via the Window dropdown at the top, but there doesn't appear to be a key command. Since you can't drag a window across a screen with a maximized app, this quickly become as pain in the rear end.

Try Rectangle: https://rectangleapp.com

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ah, that should do the trick. Thanks!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

eightysixed posted:

Keyboard shortcuts is presently tucked away in the Keyboard panel of System Preferences, I think it was enabled by default. If not, then go find it and check the box. This opens a new note, not like a floating scratchpad like Tot, but that ought to be built-in. And if notes isn't open, it'll obviously open it.

Also ⇧⌘Y will open a new sticky note, that one's under Services→Text

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

eightysixed posted:

I find rcmd pretty nifty, it does slightly more than shortcuts but you might like switching apps this way.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Holy cow. Thanks guys. Happy Thanksgiving!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Please let us know what actually did pop up from the CMD + Period shortcut, it looks familiar but I can’t quite place it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Arivia posted:

Please let us know what actually did pop up from the CMD + Period shortcut, it looks familiar but I can’t quite place it.

He did. :)

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

eightysixed posted:

But how did you accidentally hit CMD + . in the first place? :v:

I fat fingered CMD+comma.

101 posted:

When you open the window does pressing CMD + , open a settings screen? Might give you some more context or end up showing in the dock/menu bar

Raycast popped up. Hmm.

edit: Found it!

kiwid fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 23, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Well that’s interesting.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Am I missing something or is HDR supposed to be a useless "make everything look washed out" button on MacOS.
It doesn't look at all like this on Windows and I am frankly baffled as to what the point is supposed to be.

A brief google look seems to lean towards, yes, Apple is shipping "HDR support" in MacOS, has been for years, and it's completely broken and useless?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Are you using an sdr display brightness hack like vivid or betterdisplay? I noticed hdr only works at 100% brightness, over that it looks wrong.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SRQ posted:

Am I missing something or is HDR supposed to be a useless "make everything look washed out" button on MacOS.
It doesn't look at all like this on Windows and I am frankly baffled as to what the point is supposed to be.

A brief google look seems to lean towards, yes, Apple is shipping "HDR support" in MacOS, has been for years, and it's completely broken and useless?

Apple's HDR support is great on a HDR display, like the built-in displays on 14" and 16" retina MBPs. If you aren't using it on a HDR display that Apple's HDR software knows how to utilize, they do some kind of HDR-on-SDR emulation and that might be what you're seeing.

Otherwise, what Perplx said.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Another potential issue is the display isn't in HDR mode or isn't switching to HDR mode as it should when HDR content is output. I've had issues getting that setup properly when hooking computers up to TVs before.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Perplx posted:

Are you using an sdr display brightness hack like vivid or betterdisplay? I noticed hdr only works at 100% brightness, over that it looks wrong.

I'm using nothing special. All I know is my display supports HDR, which I can test with a site that uses some HTML to make it show up, and that it looks like garbo on MacOS but fine on Windows. The difference is: Display universally dimmer, and all colours universally washed out.

E: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/ogk810/questions_about_washed_out_hdr/
Lol this issue is 3+ years old.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 24, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I know there are quite a few apps in the Black Friday sales, but a quick shoutout to Pastepal:https://indiegoodies.com/pastepal. I've never used a clipboard manager, but I have to admit this thing is cool. $7.99 lifetime (for BF) and it syncs your clipboard, text, pictures, URLs, hex colors, etc. across your Mac/iPhone/iPad using iCloud with one purchase. I've just been using Google Keep for pasting links or text between my Mac and my phone, but this thing is pretty slick.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Any recommendations for a good ChatGPT thing from here? Maybe something that makes pics?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

Found an even bigger list:

https://app.indieappsales.com/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are there any that are curated? It’s nice to have a list of what is on sale but 95% of these I’ve never heard of and a concerning amount of them appear to be ChatGPT front ends.

Also is there any reason to mess with that video downloaded app that folks seem bullish on if you already use YouTube-dlp? I kind of assume it’s just a wrapper around that for folks scared of a CLI. Same story for the conversion app that seems to come up a lot and ffmpeg I figure.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Are there any that are curated? It’s nice to have a list of what is on sale but 95% of these I’ve never heard of and a concerning amount of them appear to be ChatGPT front ends.

Also is there any reason to mess with that video downloaded app that folks seem bullish on if you already use YouTube-dlp? I kind of assume it’s just a wrapper around that for folks scared of a CLI. Same story for the conversion app that seems to come up a lot and ffmpeg I figure.

I can't speak for Downie if that's what you're talking about, but I do use Pulltube that I got from Bundlehunt because it has a built in trimming editor that I find handy when downloading a snippet of video (used it today to make my avatar).

As for the list, I agree, some of them are vague and you have to click the links to find out what they do. Still though, sometimes you find some gems that you didn't even know existed (like Pastepal, I've used that thing at least ten times since I installed it two days ago). You can filter that list above to only show the categories you're interested in, so you can take out all the AI assistants.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Downie was it, yes. I want to say the other was Permute or something like that. Regardless, Crossover has a pretty deep sale today. If you’re already messing with Whiskey or one of the other “Run non Mac games on Mac” solutions available there isn’t a whole lot of reason to mess with it but I did grab it to help support the Wine project as that benefits Linux folks as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Downie was it, yes. I want to say the other was Permute or something like that. Regardless, Crossover has a pretty deep sale today. If you’re already messing with Whiskey or one of the other “Run non Mac games on Mac” solutions available there isn’t a whole lot of reason to mess with it but I did grab it to help support the Wine project as that benefits Linux folks as well.

Thanks, I would've missed that, and $22.20 is easily a good price for it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Lifetime is also apparently on a rare sale but is still pretty pricey. Not much reason to go there unless you’re Mac only full time and don’t have a Windows desktop machine for game stuff.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm running a 2015 MBP, running on Monterey 12.7, and I'm trying to install Logic Pro. The App Store says it can't install because my OS is not compatible (macOS Ventura 13.5 or later is required). Is there any way to install an older version of Logic Pro, or am I just screwed until I get a new computer?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Does the old trick work where instead of installing it from its main App Store page, you go to your list of purchases and download it there?

That’s usually where the “download an old version” pop up usually appears

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

weird problem: Startup options is not detecting my (Working!) startup volume, so I can't set security options to use kexts. What the gently caress?
E: Mac OS 13, latest, M1 Pro 16.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 28, 2023

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

SRQ posted:

weird problem: Startup options is not detecting my (Working!) startup volume, so I can't set security options to use kexts. What the gently caress?
E: Mac OS 13, latest, M1 Pro 16.

Did you shutdown(not reboot) before booting to recovery?

https://eclecticlight.co/2023/03/02/recovery-on-apple-silicon-macs-has-changed-again/

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Yes.
I can't change startup disk either (although it does boot fine) because it says it's encrypted (filevault is off?) and none of the passwords I know work, work.
I am baffled.

E: The volume group has no recover volume, did it just... not install one?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Why is my macintosh operating system telling me I can't downgrade from Monterey to Ventura?

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah this is why I’m holding on to my 2010 V6 RAV4 for as long as possible; the V6 makes the car a lot of fun to drive.

I drive a 90s Honda. A new car would just be more $$$ in maintenance.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Splinter posted:

Why is my macintosh operating system telling me I can't downgrade from Monterey to Ventura?
I wonder if you have an older Ventura installer downladed that predates monterey 12.7.1? If so, maybe delete the installer and redownload it

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Last Chance posted:

I wonder if you have an older Ventura installer downladed that predates monterey 12.7.1? If so, maybe delete the installer and redownload it

I downloaded it from the app store yesterday after Monterey updated to 12.7.1. I also ran softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.6.2 and that utility seemed to think 13.6.2 is the same version as what the app store downloaded. According to softwareupdate --list-full-installer, 13.6.2 is the latest version of the Ventura installer available. But I may as well try deleting then re-downloading at this point.

e: that didn't work. I suppose I'm stuck on Monterey until they release a new Ventura patch unless I want to do a fresh install :shrug:.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 29, 2023

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Splinter posted:

Are you in the default Full Security mode? It has rollback protection, meaning it won't let you downgrade to older versions that are no longer considered trusted by Apple (typically because they have security vulnerabilities addressed by later releases).

You can change to Reduced Security mode (which will let you downgrade to any macOS release that supports your hardware) by following the directions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SRQ posted:

Yes.
I can't change startup disk either (although it does boot fine) because it says it's encrypted (filevault is off?) and none of the passwords I know work, work.
I am baffled.

E: The volume group has no recover volume, did it just... not install one?

I don't know enough to help specifically but I do know that since 2020 new Macs come with a hardware based encryption that's always on that uses the secure enclave. It doesn't replace filevault as it's more to prevent someone cloning your drive or stealing only the drive; if the machine has the secure enclave and the disk then it's effectively wide open if you boot into recovery mode.

I bring this up because if your secure enclave is hosed I could imagine it might make accessing your disk difficult so maybe do some research on this as well.