Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just got back from seeing Thanksgiving. I liked it. It's a well balanced late 80s/early 90s era style slasher with some solid kills that follow the beats of the Grindhouse faux trailer. I did wince at the Black Friday mob and wrist break because I worked too many of those rushes and they do strike genuine fear in me. I do wish they had the old style film grain though.

It's now an option along with Thankskilling, Home Sweet Home and Blood Rage for Thanksgiving horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

https://x.com/VeraDrew22/status/1727428597324083671?s=20

Is this claim about Eli Roth true? I don't see any articles.

Thanksgiving produced by Spyglass. I don't like his movies anyway, so won't see it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah it’s probably true. He’s a piece of poo poo who posted some awful poo poo rooting for genocide basically

It’s why I say with a heavy heart that Thanksgiving ruled. And I’ll probably watch it every year. But I hope he gets bonked

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Hausu Usher posted:

https://x.com/VeraDrew22/status/1727428597324083671?s=20

Is this claim about Eli Roth true? I don't see any articles.

Thanksgiving produced by Spyglass. I don't like his movies anyway, so won't see it.

https://x.com/ilyclemmie/status/1727142072355037500?s=46

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

TitusGroen posted:

I"d love to hear this breakdown! Maybe I'll rewatch NOPE before checking in on the thread again...

My interpretation is that Jupe, OJ and Keke make their wish when they name the UFO. All the wishes come true, and with the same beats as the Monkey's Paw story.

It's just a theory, but it explains the TMZ guy, who along with the newscast of the missing persons is the ironic fulfillment of Jupe's wish. It also makes the Haywood Ranch's motivation more noble, because their wish is not fame or fortune, but to recover stolen promises.

The other thing that clicks for me with this theory is it reveals OJ and Keke to be unreliable narrators. They tell you they want fame and fortune, but what Keke really wants is to train the horse she was promised and what OJ really wants is to be respected at his job, and not replaced by camels (or CG).

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Thanksgiving was great.

It was kinda funny being in a movie theater in methuen when those kids got told to gently caress off to methuen. Not sure why anyone would drive from methuen to Plymouth in cape cod traffic to go to a party though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Doltos posted:

I think the Hollywood indictment saves OJ at the end and makes his ending a bit more optimistic. While everyone's chasing fame he's the only one that put himself second. Kind of like Em is going to turn into Jupe and OJ is just sort of judging her at the end.

Yeah while everyone else was pretty much chasing some kind of fame OJ was comparatively humble and capable. Like, any other character being like "I can totally deal with this giant alien" would obviously be hubris, but the way he handles it ties into the overall theme of the difference between working with, and exploiting animals for entertainment

Edit: TMZ guy monkey paw also pretty obvious

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 23, 2023

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Not to derail the horror thread but like didn’t Hamas do all that awful poo poo though? Nobody disagrees Hamas are terrible for their attack in Israel, it’s the whole “the Israeli government responding to that by dropping bombs on the families of Palestinians and journalists that had nothing to do with what Hamas did” that everyone is all wtf about.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Tomie Revenge
Not quite as bad as Beginning.
There are some ideas here. Tomie can officially multiply now. Apparently a Tomie spawn hates the Tomie original, which could have been interesting.
There's a bunch of Tomie obsessed weirdos. They don't do much and are bad actors, but it's an interesting idea. Tomie having an army could be a good movie.
There's a throwaway line that the forest is full of infinite Tomies. I would have liked to see that.
Tomie herself is probably the worst one. She's only there for like 15 minutes and she can't act.
I really wish instead of making two Tomie movies at the same time they just made one with a decent budget. It worked for Ju-on but that's so much easier. Tomie needs at least a good Tomie.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

fart blood posted:

Not to derail the horror thread but like didn’t Hamas do all that awful poo poo though? Nobody disagrees Hamas are terrible for their attack in Israel, it’s the whole “the Israeli government responding to that by dropping bombs on the families of Palestinians and journalists that had nothing to do with what Hamas did” that everyone is all wtf about.

It's a very complicated issue that has no easy answers, I'll leave it at that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beautiful

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

fart blood posted:

Eli saying that anything about Hamas is in any way comparable to the power of the Nazis during World War 2 is actually insane. The issue is that in this moment people like him are using the (very real) atrocities committed by Hamas in order to portray Israel as an underdog while it kills orders of magnitudes more innocent people and basically does a holocaust. Like it's happening right now and that's the way a lot of western media is talking about this.

Can you imagine a famous person in the US getting fired for condemning Hamas's attack in October? well Israel has literally killed thousands of Palestinian children since then

e: I get you were not discussing the firing thing, I'm just pointing that out to explain how he's siding with a narrative that dominates mainstream US media and makes honest discussion of Israel's behavior impossible. and ya i'll eat a probe for derailing or whatever if necessary, not gonna post more about it here

Martman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 23, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Not gunna hit the probe button I will say any further I/P talk should happen elsewhere.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Skrillmub posted:

Tomie Revenge
Not quite as bad as Beginning.
There are some ideas here. Tomie can officially multiply now. Apparently a Tomie spawn hates the Tomie original, which could have been interesting.
There's a bunch of Tomie obsessed weirdos. They don't do much and are bad actors, but it's an interesting idea. Tomie having an army could be a good movie.
There's a throwaway line that the forest is full of infinite Tomies. I would have liked to see that.
Tomie herself is probably the worst one. She's only there for like 15 minutes and she can't act.
I really wish instead of making two Tomie movies at the same time they just made one with a decent budget. It worked for Ju-on but that's so much easier. Tomie needs at least a good Tomie.

There’s a tomie movie??? Like Junji Ito Tomie??

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

pure yackety sax gold

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

This looks like it's a montage of those "Are you still [using inferior product]?" parts of infomercials. Makes me wonder what Ghostface could buy to help them not to to be such a clumsy gently caress-up. Probably a machine gun.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Xiahou Dun posted:

If it’s not Phantasm 2, it’s doing an homage. It’s just a gas mask, not a hawk mask :

https://youtu.be/ZAz6ip1WK08?si=ZI5chxKryO7IBFoO

Phantasm loving rules.

The Jawas certainly caught me by surprise.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There’s a tomie movie??? Like Junji Ito Tomie??

Yes, there are 9 movies based on Junji Ito's Tomie.
I've been watching them and posting my thoughts in the thread.
So far only #4 is actually good. The rest are OK, with 6 a real low point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Justin Godscock posted:

It's a very complicated issue that has no easy answers, I'll leave it at that.

Lol. Yeah, maybe you guys shouldn't discuss this stuff if this is where we're at.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

I'm generally pretty apathetic on the Scream movies (I still need to catch up on 5/6 in fact), but Ghostface being such a dipshit really does add to the charm of the first one.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen it in a few years, but I gave Last Thanksgiving 3.5 stars on letterboxed. It's got Linnea Quigley and it's on tubi, so if your'e looking for an alternate thanksgiving slasher, there you go.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm generally pretty apathetic on the Scream movies (I still need to catch up on 5/6 in fact), but Ghostface being such a dipshit really does add to the charm of the first one.

There's a fun moment in 3 when Sydney yeets Ghostface off a ledge and you actually hear him go "Aaaah!" :allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Crescent Wrench posted:

Scream 5 completely ignores this aspect of Ghostface, especially with the murder of Dewey who it's revealed is gutted by the girl killer, after she was shot point blank in the chest (which even wearing a vest would knock you down properly) and then she comes back for the last scare despite having been set on fire. By 5 the killers are basically superhuman and it loving sucks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dewey's death in Scream 5 and just the general circumstances of it you mentioned were the jump the shark moment for me. I wasn't all that excited for 6 and wouldn't have been excited for another sequel with these characters even before this happened.

Maybe a few years from now if they want to bring Neve back for a fresh take I'd be interested but for now they should just let it lie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe a few years from now if they want to bring Neve back for a fresh take I'd be interested but for now they should just let it lie.

DGG has a Trilogy planned for when she's in her 70s

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
My problem with Scream 5 was the new cast of characters were completely void of any characterization. Tara was just stabbed a lot, Mindy was a paper thin Randy clone that was only surface level and lacked any of the other small traits his character had, and the rest were just there. Sam’s character was the only one with actual lore and the lore was extremely stupid.

6 did a lot to make up for that with the core four but even then it was a little weird in some parts, like suddenly Tara and Chad have a romance and like each other despite not even having camera time together or even looking at each other in part 5, and Mindy having absolutely no character growth at all.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

Haha yeah this is loving great

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

fart blood posted:

My problem with Scream 5 was the new cast of characters were completely void of any characterization. Tara was just stabbed a lot, Mindy was a paper thin Randy clone that was only surface level and lacked any of the other small traits his character had, and the rest were just there. Sam’s character was the only one with actual lore and the lore was extremely stupid.

Whilst this is true of every teen horror movie, and the Scream franchise in general, there was something about the way the cast of 5 acted or were dressed/shot that made it painfully evident you were watching a cast of 30 year old adults pretending to be teenagers. It was really jarring and the lack of any development for them all didn't help at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i for one, greatly prefer seeing jasmin savoy brown in a movie than jamie kennedy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Opopanax posted:

DGG has a Trilogy planned for when she's in her 70s

After Scream 5, I would've watched a Sidney Prescott: Serial Killer Hunter procedural on Paramount+.

PriorMarcus posted:

Whilst this is true of every teen horror movie, and the Scream franchise in general, there was something about the way the cast of 5 acted or were dressed/shot that made it painfully evident you were watching a cast of 30 year old adults pretending to be teenagers. It was really jarring and the lack of any development for them all didn't help at all.

Williamson wrote the playbook for how to write teens in the late 90s. They should get the Euphoria guy to write Scream 7.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 23, 2023

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

live with fruit posted:

Williamson wrote the playbook for how to write teens in the late 90s. They should get the Euphoria guy to write Scream 7.

I wouldn’t mind The Idol but with a slasher running around. Would’ve really helped that show.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh hell yeah, they just added Bruce Campbell to my local con next year. Now to decide if I should get him to sign my falling apart necronomicon edition Evil Dead, or hit up ebay for an AoD VHS

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Opopanax posted:

Oh hell yeah, they just added Bruce Campbell to my local con next year. Now to decide if I should get him to sign my falling apart necronomicon edition Evil Dead, or hit up ebay for an AoD VHS

I wonder if there's any still not crumbling copies of the necronomicon editions out there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mine is in pretty good condition has maybe a crack or two but nothing too bad or crumbly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

give it a fresh coat of latex or even silicone every now and then it should be fine.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's now an option along with Thankskilling, Home Sweet Home and Blood Rage for Thanksgiving horror.

Honestly the two Thanksgiving Into the Dark movies are pretty good. certainly better than Thankskilling (although that movie is fun, especially with friends)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

waiting for australia to export LABOUR DAY as holiday horror

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Australia doesn't celebrate Labour Day on May 1st like the entire world (minus America)?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Australia doesn't celebrate Labour Day on May 1st like the entire world (minus America)?

god drat, it's back to Melbourne Cup Day then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thanksgiving really is that good. It hits all the notes you want. If you dont want to support stupid rear end eli, which fair, pirate that poo poo. But it's def a new holiday classic imo