Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sydin posted:

Goddamn are Heidi and Owen thirsty for petrified wood.

Yeah, this was my experience as well. I had to take lesser commissions frequently because they would just not stop asking for petrified wood. I would have loved for them to ask for rubber or plastic, or literally anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hell, it would be nice if someone other than Heidi, Owen, or Qi asked me for materials once you get to late game. Sometimes Cooper or Hugo would ask for something but not often.

I do know about the other commission board but I can't be bothered to get those people fish or fish based food.

It just seems like a lot of people in town don't want anything or stop asking for things when you progress the story enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it would be nice if the commissions were more varied. It would also be nice if more people actually requested assembly station items instead of just materials like bars and wood planks.

Certain commission progressions also cap out at weird spots. Like Justice and Unsuur will ask for leather and then eventually canvas until the end of time but they never upgrade to asking for windproof cloth even after you've had it unlocked.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

limp_cheese posted:

I do know about the other commission board but I can't be bothered to get those people fish or fish based food.

plant a Coffee Tea Tree

you can't actually use either tea leaves or coffee beans yet IIRC, but they're very popular commission board items

I believe the best way to get people to ask for non-fish-based products is to grow stuff; the game doesn't start generating requests for items until you can actually produce those items. It's the same sort of thing where the game won't let townspeople ask for Perfect-quality items until you build a Refiner

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

plant a Coffee Tea Tree

you can't actually use either tea leaves or coffee beans yet IIRC, but they're very popular commission board items

I believe the best way to get people to ask for non-fish-based products is to grow stuff; the game doesn't start generating requests for items until you can actually produce those items. It's the same sort of thing where the game won't let townspeople ask for Perfect-quality items until you build a Refiner

I planted mine almost immediately after farming became an option, and it still has a while until I can harvest it. It's a little bush right now.

From what I read, it'll be really nice once it's finished. Apparently 10-15 of each every 5 days or something? I should probably plant a second, since that would probably guarantee handling all future commissions.

Should probably expand my farm in general. It's currently only 18 squares big, and 9 are the tree.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I have found that one tree does me just fine for keeping up on commissions; I've been getting far more than 10-15 of each item per harvest, personally, though perks and frequent fertilizer use might be playing in to that.

Mind you, I am also very much of the "if you go a few days without doing any commissions it's fine, you don't want to be Higgins, just take a breath every once in a while and enjoy the coziness" camp, so your mileage may vary. I dunno what drives some of y'all to want to power through the game at max velocity, but it's not a trait I share, so keep it in mind

My farm setup is "one 3x3 for the Coffee Tea Tree, one 3x3 for the Chestnut Tree, and three 2x2 patches for growing something else if I feel the need, usually Jute Cantaloupe or whatever crop I'm short on that I might want to cook with later" and it's been more than enough for my purposes. Hell, once I got a good enough stack of Jute I basically just let those patches lay fallow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best crops for commissions are the coffee tea tree, jute cantaloupe (mostly for the jute so you can fulfill the Civil Corps never ending need for canvas) and mushrooms (2-3 villagers pay out the goddamn wazoo for meat stuffed mushrooms). Everything else is mostly for cooking/animal feed. The church folks sometimes ask for rhino horn and desert rose as well.

Oh and at some point you should grow and stockpile a couple harvests of rose willow, which is used for absolutely nothing besides one main quest where suddenly they expect you to just be sitting on like 40-50 of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm pretty certain this isn't the case. I had to build a Refiner in response to getting asked for Perfect items before I had one. And I got a request for coffee seeds that will be impossible to fill since my tree won't be finished by the time it expires (and I've gotten lots of requests for tea leaves, but you can at least buy those). I think I've also built my cooking machine and tailor machine in direct response to commissions asking for items that required them.

It's not a huge deal since there are always alternatives, though.

edit: Also in terms of quests, Unsuur just asked me for paint and I haven't even researched the Blender yet (which I think is necessary to acquire paint).

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

plant a Coffee Tea Tree

I'll do those commissions whenever they come up but they've gotten rare late game.

The museum and commissions show that the late game isn't fully implemented yet. The museum by not being able to donate upgraded tools and weapons, and commissions what I already mentioned.

Those are small things considering just how much is in this game though. I figure I have to be getting close to the end based off of the tools I was able to build, The chsinsaw snd power drill., but this game keeps surprising me.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Panfilo posted:

Wut? They can do that?

Only one person, yeah

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty certain this isn't the case. I had to build a Refiner in response to getting asked for Perfect items before I had one. And I got a request for coffee seeds that will be impossible to fill since my tree won't be finished by the time it expires (and I've gotten lots of requests for tea leaves, but you can at least buy those). I think I've also built my cooking machine and tailor machine in direct response to commissions asking for items that required them.

It's not a huge deal since there are always alternatives, though.

edit: Also in terms of quests, Unsuur just asked me for paint and I haven't even researched the Blender yet (which I think is necessary to acquire paint).

I thought there's a reason why, when you place your first Refiner, a message pops up saying you can now accept commissions for high-quality items - though it's more than possible I'm mistaken. The point is, unlocking new items does make it possible for commissions to build/grow those items start showing up, and that does address the sameiness of the commission board.

(though, again, it's worth noting that I take a slower pace on commissions so it's more than possible that I'm not seeing the issue to the same extent as someone who Must Do All The Commissions Every Day, that's definitely true too)

Quests will ask you for stuff you can't produce, 100%, but then there's a reason I was talking about commissions and not quests

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rose willows don't produce particularly useful crops. instead, they provide vastly more soil exp than anything else. a tree planted on brand new level 1 soil would take years to max out. however, soil level barely matters because it does nothing for growth rate. you can remove biocrust and place it elsewhere, but you can also move soil and crops in construction mode.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mind you, I am also very much of the "if you go a few days without doing any commissions it's fine, you don't want to be Higgins, just take a breath every once in a while and enjoy the coziness" camp, so your mileage may vary. I dunno what drives some of y'all to want to power through the game at max velocity, but it's not a trait I share, so keep it in mind

Pure blasphemy!

In all seriousness, I enjoy keeping up with all the commissions daily. It's a challenge, and optimizing my resource levels is the primary fun that I have with games like this. It does mean that towards the end of the game that I just straight up run out of things to meaningfully do (plenty of stock of bars, plenty of each item in storage, etc.), but I focused harder on socializing and throwing parties to compensate.

It's also pretty much the only way I made money in the game (technically I sold livestock a couple of times, but that was because I ran into a space crunch before I could afford to expand and had to demolish my coop/barn), and that carrot of expanding my land and stocking up on supplies (there's a lot of useful stuff to buy from stores to keep on hand, especially clay/quartz), as well as building up relationships, kept me interested in fulfilling at least something in each of my slots every day.

If I did mod this game at all, I'd definitely add 2 more commissions to the board each day as your workshop ranks up so that there's a little more variety. I'd also mod in an option to hold shift to stop sprinting and just sprint by default because there's no downside to sprinting in this game.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Ytlaya posted:

BTW what are people naming their workshops? Mine is "Dustworks," which I thought was pretty good since I'm normally terrible at naming things.
"The Secret Lair", written in large letters on a helpful sign.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Devs just announced their End Of 2023 roadmap:

quote:

PC Roadmap

Q4 2023 - Laying the Foundation

End of Nov. (To be more accurate, this week!)

Comprehensive Maintenance Patch, addressing over 200 bugs. (Yet, we'll persist in resolving some issues that remain unaddressed in subsequent patches.)

Dec. (Around Christmas of 2023)

Free Winter Update introducing Kickstarter designers' weapons, trendy haircuts, and various NPCs side quests, post-marriage interactions, and more details will come a bit later!

Q1 2024 - Embracing Winter and Beyond

Integrating DLC support into the multiplayer mode.

----------------------------
Console Roadmap

Q4 2023 -Setting the Groundwork

End of Dec. (Around Christmas of 2023)

● Ensuring consistency with the PC launch version, which incorporates kids, factory, and various NPCs side quests.

● Addressing bugs and glitches to enhance the overall gaming experience.

One more thing to note, we'll complete the packaging and QA process on our end next week, and submit it to the platforms. If everything goes smoothly, we can expect it to be out before the holiday!

Q1 2024: PC Harmony

Consoles are geared to synchronize with the PC version's freshest singleplayer content introduced in the Q4 2023 Free Winter Update. Subsequent updates aim for a simultaneous singleplayer release, with potential adjustments based on the review process's impact. This update also focuses on optimizing performance and addressing specific visual or performance glitches, especially in the Switch version.

PS5 & XBOX X|S & Switch:

● Incorporating all PC Free Winter Update content.

Switch Specific:

● Addressing some significant visual glitches, such as popping-ins

PS4:

● Launching in the first half of 2024, we'll strive to synchronize its content with the PC singleplayer version. We apologize to players who have been waiting for the PS4 release.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I’ve had a few days now where the game lets me take unlimited commissions - I’ll greedily grab them all and run back to my workshop hoping no one notices.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I’ve had a few days now where the game lets me take unlimited commissions - I’ll greedily grab them all and run back to my workshop hoping no one notices.

There are commissions that deal with story missions that don't count towards the daily quota. Heidi is usually the one that asks for them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

There are commissions that deal with story missions that don't count towards the daily quota. Heidi is usually the one that asks for them.

Yeah, anything that isn't a Sandrock Commission - so something like the Build The School commissions or the Day of Memories resource asks don't count towards your daily commission limit

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao the letter you get from Higgins after the Portia crossover quest is loving perfect. :allears:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How does the game perform on Steam Deck? I got my OLED Deck today and it is currently on sale.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shouldn't have any issues really.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just discovered that the "large deadwood" across the bridge is how you get petrified wood. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was confused too. Not all of the deadwood in that region just the ones with the special "large deadwood" name, or something like that.

Now I just need to find aluminum. I'm Rebuilding the water tower.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

LLSix posted:

I just discovered that the "large deadwood" across the bridge is how you get petrified wood. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was confused too. Not all of the deadwood in that region just the ones with the special "large deadwood" name, or something like that.

Now I just need to find aluminum. I'm Rebuilding the water tower.

There is an area past the Yakmel farm that has it. Just remember to bring the hazmat suit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I unlocked the salvage subscription. It doesn't give a lot at base level, but it also seems to last multiple months or something? Not sure if I want to upgrade it. ~5000 is affordable, but not trivial. Does it reasonably pay itself off?

Some of the dialogue options in this are really vicious. Who actually says "I don't like salvaging with you" to Venti when she asks you on the third salvaging date?! She knows full well that you salvage by yourself all the time, too, so it's basically just insulting her.

Also, the quest where you apprehend the water-wasters with Burgess is hilarious.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I unlocked the salvage subscription. It doesn't give a lot at base level, but it also seems to last multiple months or something? Not sure if I want to upgrade it. ~5000 is affordable, but not trivial. Does it reasonably pay itself off?

Some of the dialogue options in this are really vicious. Who actually says "I don't like salvaging with you" to Venti when she asks you on the third salvaging date?! She knows full well that you salvage by yourself all the time, too, so it's basically just insulting her.

Also, the quest where you apprehend the water-wasters with Burgess is hilarious.

The salvage contract lasts until a new year starts so yeah, it will absolutely pay itself off as long as you start it in fall. Hell, it might srill be worth it getting it in early winter considering how much poo poo it sends you.

You also need to remember to go back and redo the allotments when you find new scrap as rhat gets added.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

The salvage contract lasts until a new year starts so yeah, it will absolutely pay itself off as long as you start it in fall. Hell, it might srill be worth it getting it in early winter considering how much poo poo it sends you.

I am pretty sure the price changes based on how many days there's left until the end of the year.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I like that it also delivers relic pieces so it's a easy passive way to get all the pieces.

Still worth going into Eufala ruins from time to time to dig up clay, since bloodstone cores are a very common commission even through mid game and the pottery shop only sells 15 at a time.

Digging up dirt is also the easiest way to power level if you care about that kind of thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How exactly do you reasonably donate like 50+ things to the Museum? I'm only at like 10. It seems like some things can be added a couple times, but you can't just keep adding the same thing.

I think I'm going to add at least two new recyclers later. 3 isn't really cutting it anymore, and I'd like to have one running on Stone Scraps since using the ore refiner on Stone seems like a good way to get bloodstone and quartz.

Btw, where can I find the higher tier animal skin? I somehow had enough to make 4 of the next tier leather, but I have no idea where I got it (and I've had it show up as a fairly lucrative commission multiple times, that I haven't been able to fill since I don't know where to get the item for it). The only animals I come across are yaks, birds, ants, and the little lizards that disguise themselves as cacti.

edit: I thought that maybe higher-level Yaks would drop it, so I killed some of the level 20+ ones during a sandstorm, but they seemingly drop the same items.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can donate most crafted weapons and armor and almost all of the assembly station items. the museum is kind of pointless right now, though. it's nice to have a relic crafter machine but that's about it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

How exactly do you reasonably donate like 50+ things to the Museum? I'm only at like 10. It seems like some things can be added a couple times, but you can't just keep adding the same thing.

When you have something in inventory or in your build menu, you can hover over it and where it tells you what stat bonuses it gives it can also say "Museum Item: Medium Size" or such. All your machines, your basic level tools, many clothes, nearly everything you built as a plot commission, can be donated.

quote:

Btw, where can I find the higher tier animal skin? I somehow had enough to make 4 of the next tier leather, but I have no idea where I got it (and I've had it show up as a fairly lucrative commission multiple times, that I haven't been able to fill since I don't know where to get the item for it). The only animals I come across are yaks, birds, ants, and the little lizards that disguise themselves as cacti.

Across the bridge will be new animals with higher-level drops. If the bridge is blocked by Geeglers, you need to advance the plot to open those up. If you've built the bridge, you need to fight the Boxing Jacks and if you're a terrible person or supremely desperate, the Penskys.

In general, if you need next-tier drops, it's a matter of advancing the plot and farming the area the plot opens.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 22, 2023

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

if you've got some money, most of the shops sell some items that you can donate (like clothes and furniture)

e: as mentioned above, they'll say whether or not they can be donated in the tooltip

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a mod that marks items you have already donated. i'd highly suggest using it if you are going to bother with museum completionism.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

While I grinded out a bunch of different relics to donate to the museum, it also makes a phenomenal place to stash your obsolete gear. Crafted an Iron Pickhammer? Donate the old bronze one. Ditto for those old stone weapons. The various little knick-knacks you can pick up from the early Hazardous Ruins in the Breach - the cups and lamps and such - can be donated too. Heck, some (not all) of the clothes you get awarded after a mission can be donated, so go ahead and trade those in when you unlock better gear too.

If you really want to push for the next reward, most of the machines you can build for your workshop are also good exhibits, so make yourself a spare basic furnace once you've already got a bunch of industrial ones running, and donate that. There's a bunch of possible museum exhibits, getting those museum rewards shouldn't honesty be a problem for anyone that wants 'em.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

skeleton warrior posted:

When you have something in inventory or in your build menu, you can hover over it and where it tells you what stat bonuses it gives it can also say "Museum Item: Medium Size" or such. All your machines, your basic level tools, many clothes, nearly everything you built as a plot commission, can be donated.

Across the bridge will be new animals with higher-level drops. If the bridge is blocked by Geeglers, you need to advance the plot to open those up. If you've built the bridge, you need to fight the Boxing Jacks and if you're a terrible person or supremely desperate, the Penskys.

In general, if you need next-tier drops, it's a matter of advancing the plot and farming the area the plot opens.

Once you open up those areas and Civil Corps Bounties you can also have Justice and Unsuur harvest 30 Coarse Leather for a few thousand gols every few days.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Also fish can be donated, with the small fish, the large fish, and the king fish all counting as separate donations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Are there other "unique weapons" in addition to this hammer I've gotten several copies of (it was a huge upgrade when I first got it - I first got one at a time when I hadn't even made any Bronze weapons yet)? I just recently upgraded to something beyond it (Iron Greatsword), but it'd be cool if there are other special weapons like that.

While I grinded out a bunch of different relics to donate to the museum, it also makes a phenomenal place to stash your obsolete gear. Crafted an Iron Pickhammer? Donate the old bronze one. Ditto for those old stone weapons. The various little knick-knacks you can pick up from the early Hazardous Ruins in the Breach - the cups and lamps and such - can be donated too. Heck, some (not all) of the clothes you get awarded after a mission can be donated, so go ahead and trade those in when you unlock better gear too.

If you really want to push for the next reward, most of the machines you can build for your workshop are also good exhibits, so make yourself a spare basic furnace once you've already got a bunch of industrial ones running, and donate that. There's a bunch of possible museum exhibits, getting those museum rewards shouldn't honesty be a problem for anyone that wants 'em.

Oh, that's a good idea.

Can you still use the appearance of clothes you donate, though? I don't think you can if you sell stuff.

The idea of donating my various workshop devices is kind of funny, because it feels like an extra slap in the face to poor Mi-an. "Yeah, my workshop is so huge and productive that I can freely give various industrial tools to the museum."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

There are a few unique weapons, yes. The final one you get access to is hilarious. There's also throwing weapons and guns.

I do hope that the next game they make in this series expands on combat a bit more - I'd love to see things analogous to Rune Factory's Rune Abilities or spells. Sandrock is definitely a big step up from Portia in the combat department, but there is definitely more room to improve.

I'm also a little miffed about enemies not dropping things in the hazardous ruins - that was like 90% of the reason to do them in Portia, and the result is that I generally didn't do the ones in Sandrock more than a few times.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Once you do build a refiner, however, they will gleefully commission perfect versions of items that require as-of-yet unavailable gems to refine.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Dang, I didn't realize just how bad your eyes can get if you stay up late multiple nights in a row.

Other characters will even comment on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can clear that right up with some concealer from Arvio's shop

or get the perk that lets you stay up until 3 am without penalty