Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

someone put a headband on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Mumbling posted:

Please educate me because I’m bad at arguing and defending my position: what’s the counter to someone who implies that the Pro-Palestine movement/protests are contributing to the rise of anti-semitism being reported in the media?

Israelis and Jews are two entirely separate kinds of people

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mumbling posted:

Please educate me because I’m bad at arguing and defending my position: what’s the counter to someone who implies that the Pro-Palestine movement/protests are contributing to the rise of anti-semitism being reported in the media?

you don't gotta bust out a thesis, zionism is bad and doesn't represent jews, so anything opposing zionism is good actually, and unrelated to antisemitism.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Mumbling posted:

I wouldn't waste any high caliber munitions here, their next question is why do you support the terrorists and how can you get behind beheading babies.

Cause they deserve to be free. It's not a grey moral area. You either think it's ok to put people in cages to make the economy hum a little louder, or you don't.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mumbling posted:

do not conflate a genocidal apartheid state apparatus with a religion or ethnicity. a state that outwardly hates the ethnic diaspora: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negation_of_the_Diaspora

the crimes of israel, the state, a vassal of the united states, constructed and maintained to project western power in a resource-rich locality, are not related to the beleaguered people who died in the holocaust. the intertwining of this is intentional propaganda to obfuscate the material reality of cold realpolitik with one of history's most sensitive subjects.

make no mistake: the zionist project has no love for the jewish people; only zionists. its mission is singular.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mumbling posted:

"Bullshit."

The definition that tends to be offered in situations like that is "From the river to the sea" or suggesting that Palestinians should continue existing, neither of which is actual "antisemitism".

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Thank you all for the advice. My ignorance on this and difficulty arguing is really embarrassing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
does it strike anyone else as weird that hollywood is doing another blacklist right at the same time these contracts are being settled????

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Mumbling posted:

start with conclusion. is there really a rise in antisemitism, or is the media just reporting a rise? are they trying to change the meaning of antisemitism, are they trying to conflate palestinian's rights to live and be free with antisemitism?

this isn't a real argument, it's a trap. if the definition of antisemitism gets broader, antisemitism will rise just because more things fall under the heading. this is, again, disingenuous bogus thinking, it's conflating a term. if propalestine marches are considered antisemitic, then yes, tautologically more propalestine stuff is more antisemitism.

everything the western media says about any party hostile to its interests will be nothing but lies, this has always been the case. if the person you're talking to has trumpish leanings, remind them that the news is a bunch of dirty lies, why should this be any different?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mumbling posted:

Since Palestine people are semites how is being pro-them antisemitic?

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

The Voice of Labor posted:

start with conclusion. is there really a rise in antisemitism, or is the media just reporting a rise? are they trying to change the meaning of antisemitism, are they trying to conflate palestinian's rights to live and be free with antisemitism?

this isn't a real argument, it's a trap. if the definition of antisemitism gets broader, antisemitism will rise just because more things fall under the heading. this is, again, disingenuous bogus thinking, it's conflating a term. if propalestine marches are considered antisemitic, then yes, tautologically more propalestine stuff is more antisemitism.

everything the western media says about any party hostile to its interests will be nothing but lies, this has always been the case. if the person you're talking to has trumpish leanings, remind them that the news is a bunch of dirty lies, why should this be any different?

This is a liberal family member. Neither of us are Jewish or Israeli, but they are concerned for our Jewish relatives in the US and the news reporting the rise of anti-semitism.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Mumbling posted:

Thank you all for the advice. My ignorance on this and difficulty arguing is really embarrassing

Been there/kinda still am in some ways.

Edit: what was your family member’s reaction to Tree of Life? That’s the kind of anti-Semitism that needs fighting, and not to belabor the obvious but no one suggested the way to do so was to bomb hospitals.

Jai Guru Dave has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Nov 23, 2023

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Virtually 95% of the antisemitism reports from the ADL, if you scrutinize the list, are just people saying "free palestine" or spraying "from the river to the sea" graffiti.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

it will likely not come as a surprise that this guy was Donald trumps top advisor on Israel (unless you count Jared i guess) and one of the guys who thought the Abraham accords would work out just great

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mumbling posted:

This is a liberal family member. Neither of us are Jewish or Israeli, but they are concerned for our Jewish relatives in the US and the news reporting the rise of anti-semitism.

in the US it is considered antisemitism by most of the media and the government to call what is happening a genocide

https://twitter.com/IfNotNowOrg/status/1727030795511169161

Vandalizing Israeli arms manufacturing plants is called antisemitic by government officials

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

people dont like when you commit genocide and people who do like it get defensive and weird so theres lots of hot takes and fake outrage for bullshit reporters to say is anti semitism in the news.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Mumbling posted:

Like five years ago a white supremacist walked into a synagogue in Pittsburgh and killed like 11 people, very explicitly meaning to kill Jewish people. It stayed in the news for like a month and was promptly forgotten. Nobody gave a poo poo. But now there's suddenly some horrible wave of antisemitic violence, coinciding with people being mad about Israel's crimes, but any time you do any research into any of the incidents it's literally always "person got sad someone yelled at them for being a zionist". That's it. That's all that's happening. People aren't mad at Jews, they're mad at Israelis, and Israelis could be Zoroastrian for all it matters because very nearly nobody is mad at them for what their professed religion is, but what they are very clearly doing and are guilty of.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Mumbling posted:

Also worth keeping in mind that many of these recent "antisemitic attacks" have either been misrepresented (A jewish-owned business was vandalized by pro-palestinian activists. Oh wait it turns out that business is actually an arms manufacturer that supplies Israel), made up entirely, or not even antisemitic.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

it will likely not come as a surprise that this guy was Donald trumps top advisor on Israel (unless you count Jared i guess) and one of the guys who thought the Abraham accords would work out just great

So not Trump's top advisor then

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The ADL deliberately tries to conflate anti-zionism with anti-semitism.

And they're absolutely happy to condone the latter. The ADL recently came to an agreement with Elon Musk, he can promote and retweet all the nazis and holocaust deniers he likes on twitter without being called an anti-semite, and in return twitter will label all anti-zionist posts as anti-semitic.

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

trucutru posted:

Since Palestine people are semites how is being pro-them antisemitic?

that's not what antisemitism means btw, the germans invented the word to mean "jew-hating" but more fancy

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Mumbling posted:

nothing will sink in prior to media literacy. if cnn and r/politics are considered reliable sources of truth, no amount of argumentation will matter because what they're taking as evidence will always be garbage. maybe get them a copy of manufacturing consent

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Andorra posted:

Also worth keeping in mind that many of these recent "antisemitic attacks" have either been misrepresented (A jewish-owned business was vandalized by pro-palestinian activists. Oh wait it turns out that business is actually an arms manufacturer that supplies Israel), made up entirely, or not even antisemitic.

https://twitter.com/JGreenblattADL/status/1727099169243095322

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Even if it were true, why would a rise in antisemitism be more concerning than the palestinians being genocided right now?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Lord of Pie posted:

They'll eventually scrape every bird turd until it's mined down to an uninhabitable rock like Nauru

Nauru is rock phosphate not bird poo poo.
/taro posting

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

in the US it is considered antisemitism by most of the media and the government to call what is happening a genocide

https://twitter.com/IfNotNowOrg/status/1727030795511169161

Vandalizing Israeli arms manufacturing plants is called antisemitic by government officials

Romneyishly - "Corporations are people"

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Mumbling posted:

Man just ask questions.

"What is a semite?"
"What is anti-semitism?"
"Can you give me an example of anti-semitism since october 7th?"

Ask questions.
If you want to troll, just smile more and more like they are a delightful dancing poodle.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Mumbling posted:

It's always interesting to me how so many Arabs and Muslims have had to deal with this poo poo in the US over the years, and especially post 9/11, and again, now, again, and yet that's not really been reported and no one's interested lol
As others have much more eloquently pointed out, pro-zionists are getting called out and being stompy about it, saying it's about them being Jewish or just thinking they're "pro-Jewish", though it's got nothing to do with that, and more about Israel and its horrible policies/practices.

MadSparkle has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Nov 23, 2023

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Zardoz was a documentary

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Biden yet again says Hamas beheaded babies. Has new evidence emerged?

In many conflicts, there are reports of atrocities against babies or children. As horrific as any such atrocities are, accounts can be exaggerated.

Almost two months after the Hamas attack, details are still sparse on claims of beheading of babies. One IDF official says he found a decapitated baby; a first responder says “little kids” were beheaded, though an exact number was not provided. Forensic records that would document the cause of death have not been released. There also are reports of at least two beheadings of adults — a soldier and a Thai worker. First responders say they viewed these bodies.

There is little dispute that many of the civilians killed by militants on Oct. 7 died in especially brutal ways. But caution is still warranted, especially at the presidential level, about statements that babies were beheaded. The available evidence does not need exaggeration.

Washington Post

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al! posted:

the empire demands a ceasefire to hold its holiday where they celebrate its own genocided people

lol, drat.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

500 bad dogs posted:

that's not what antisemitism means btw, the germans invented the word to mean "jew-hating" but more fancy

It's a shame that they chose such a confusing etymology but the Germans have hosed this stuff up for basically forever

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

lol they'll be wearing blue and white next week probably

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Neurolimal posted:

Somalia gets the gang back together

Lol they'd have to go thru fuckin Panama

*90s style lives of the rich & famous show*
How does one join the exclusive Somali Yacht Club? Well, let's say membership grants several benefits such as a free BMW after a brief preliminary expedition

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I usually like to ask what one is allowed to disagree with or criticize Israel on without being called literally worse than Hitler. Something significant, not trivial like the colours of the flag or whatever.

Lots of err, uh and shifting from one foot to the other.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Red Baron posted:

Zardoz was a documentary

Been saying this for years!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Lmaoo

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Why are Arab/Muslim leaders asking China to intervene when they've got their own genocide of Uyghur Muslims going on?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Red Baron posted:

Zardoz was a documentary

Many people are saying