Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Probably need some help here. Decided to finally sit down and go through the whole process of setting up a Retroid Pocket.

Their launcher was working great and synching box art without issue, but my office's WiFi is spotty and it decided to crap out halfway through pulling a bunch of NES covers. I couldn't get it to load properly after that, the app crashed, and when I reloaded it, all the pretty icons for the consoles were gone. In fact, nothing seems to work anymore. Pressing on the option to add systems reveals a completely empty selection and if I force the checkbox to All it basically BSODs with some Chinese text. It's hosed and doesn't appear to be fixable from every option I've tried so far. Can't find any info on how to unfuck it either.

Okay, screw it, let's try that Daijisho launcher a bunch of people keep talking about. Well, this doesn't look as pretty as the other one. Oh, and it keeps popping up some modal about killing package processes in some systems every time I launch a game from there, and I don't seem to be able to get rid of it. Annoying. At least it works.

My other (extreme) annoyance that's making me want to throw this thing back in a drawer and never look at it again is the white line on the right side of the screen. This seems to be an Android thing that one is supposed to either remove by going to System > Gestures and pick "Use three buttons" or by pulling the side menu and unchecking "Screen mapping". Neither did the trick, though, and the white line doesn't disappear. Please help me with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

My other (extreme) annoyance that's making me want to throw this thing back in a drawer and never look at it again is the white line on the right side of the screen. This seems to be an Android thing that one is supposed to either remove by going to System > Gestures and pick "Use three buttons" or by pulling the side menu and unchecking "Screen mapping". Neither did the trick, though, and the white line doesn't disappear. Please help me with this one.

Pull down the notification shade (all the way), then toggle "Floating Icon"

While I'm not sure about Daijisho showing that message (might be the battery management stuff killing old processes?), you might be able to unfuck the Retroid Launcher by wiping its cache and storage in Android Settings > Apps

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Might just need to factory reset your device

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Saoshyant posted:

this seems like a dumb design (by google, presumably). ipads similarly have a sidebar-like thing on the right hand side (for Slide Over apps), but Apple trusts you to remember it's there once you learn about it, so it's completely hidden when not in use (there's an on screen indicator if you slide over an app to the other side, however).
e:or it's a custom Retroid thing?

What model do you have, btw?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 23, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pull down the notification shade (all the way), then toggle "Floating Icon"

That worked! Thank you, you're a life saver.

kirbysuperstar posted:

you might be able to unfuck the Retroid Launcher by wiping its cache and storage in Android Settings > Apps

Deleting cache did nothing, but clearing the entire storage resetted it back to zero and I guess I can try and reconfigure everything from there at some point in the future -- at least it's unfucked. Now that I got Daijisho working I'll stick with it for the next days.

Rinkles posted:

What model do you have, btw?

A flipper so the old ladies on the bus can think I'm using one of them cell phones from the 90's.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought a Deck OLED. I have sold out.

Is there a list anywhere of games that can run well in hacked 16:9 upscaled scenarios? Trying to finally play games like the Prime series and Wind Waker.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the screen mapping on the flip is useful for android games but it's pointless if you're only using the handheld to play emulators

i might put genshin impact (or honkai star rail) on it at some point and so the screen mapping would be useful for that i imagine

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rolo posted:

Is there a list anywhere of games that can run well in hacked 16:9 upscaled scenarios? Trying to finally play games like the Prime series and Wind Waker.
I'd just emulate the Wii U HD remaster for WW. Wii U emulation is great on Deck, the HD remaster is officially 16:9, and they cut out most of the tedious Triforce hunting in the back half and added a color Pictobox.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

the screen mapping on the flip is useful for android games but it's pointless if you're only using the handheld to play emulators

i might put genshin impact (or honkai star rail) on it at some point and so the screen mapping would be useful for that i imagine

HSR's interface changes a lot between battle and field which makes it..tricky to set up an 'all in one' button/screen mapping (to say nothing of the menus). It does support pads on android now but..not whatever interface Retroid uses, at least yet, last I checked

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rolo posted:

As was said, the Wii U remasters of both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess run perfectly so just play those. There's also a fork of Dolphin called Primehack that uses the Wii Metroid Prime Trilogy pack to do a bunch of QOL improvements like dual stick support. Both Cemu and Primehack are installed with the Emudeck installer.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks!

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Okay, screw it, let's try that Daijisho launcher a bunch of people keep talking about. Well, this doesn't look as pretty as the other one. Oh, and it keeps popping up some modal about killing package processes in some systems every time I launch a game from there, and I don't seem to be able to get rid of it. Annoying. At least it works.

There definitely is an option to disable this within Daijisho’s settings screen, I’ve set it up myself from scratch in the last day.. I can’t check right now as I’m pinned down by a sleeping baby, but it’s named something like “player warnings” - hopefully that’s enough to find it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh there it is, Settings > Library > Disable Players Warnings

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Froist posted:

There definitely is an option to disable this within Daijisho’s settings screen, I’ve set it up myself from scratch in the last day.. I can’t check right now as I’m pinned down by a sleeping baby, but it’s named something like “player warnings” - hopefully that’s enough to find it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh there it is, Settings > Library > Disable Players Warnings

Yeah, I had already found it since that post, but it's appreciated. One thing I read about that option is that it defaults to "not kill". Not sure about the impact on that. Honestly, not even sure what the application is going on about. I have nothing else open, from the launcher I try to kickstart a ROM into the proper core, and then there it is that warning. At least it's taken care of.

And since I'm here, I bought Drastic (DS emulator) but can't seem to configure how it should only open the top screen by default as opposed to currently having to click a bunch of times on the analogue sticks until it goes back to what I want. That would be helpful if anyone is more familiar with it.

And speaking of emulators you can buy, I tried Yaba Sanshiro 2 (Saturn) to see if it would be worth buying it over the version included with RetroArch. Menu is a mess, it didn't have any option to specify a ROM directory, when I finally navigated to launch a game directly it asked to copy it into the internal storage instead of using it from the SD card, and then when it finally launched the game, the D-pad didn't work(!) even though according to the controller settings it detected the device's own "Retroid Pocket controller". This is a paid app? Jesus Christ.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I recommend trying the android port of melonDS (from GitHub) instead of drastic these days, runs really well and lets you do whatever the hell you want with layouts

Also cheevos

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

And since I'm here, I bought Drastic (DS emulator) but can't seem to configure how it should only open the top screen by default as opposed to currently having to click a bunch of times on the analogue sticks until it goes back to what I want. That would be helpful if anyone is more familiar with it.

-Open Drastic without loading a game. Go into Options, then General. Scroll down to "Default Layout" and choose the closest thing to what you want there.
-Run a game. With the game open hit Back, then Menu. Scroll down to "Edit Screens and Virtual Pad", then tap your current layout to get to the edit screen. You can move the screen(s) around however you desire here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How do I get the tracking number of my package once it’s passed on to a US shipping company?

e:I got more detailed tracking information by pasting my original 34 digit code here

https://parcelsapp.com/

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 23, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Happy Thanksgiving retro goons

I’m thankful for Daijisho and Russ setup videos

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

https://retrododo.com/anbernic-officially-reveals-rg35xx-plus/

Want the RG35xx with Wifi, and other added features?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know that I'd promote that Dreamcast, PSP and N64 were playable on a device with no analog stick.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

njsykora posted:

I don't know that I'd promote that Dreamcast, PSP and N64 were playable on a device with no analog stick.

Clearly those are for when you have it plugged into a TV and have an external controller connected

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does Linux on Arm chip scale as easy as Android? Can they continue putting Linux in low end consoles or eventually they have to switch over to Android only?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does Linux on Arm chip scale as easy as Android? Can they continue putting Linux in low end consoles or eventually they have to switch over to Android only?
The faster chipsets they're getting ahold of for cheap these days are made for cellphones/tablets and only support android. Porting android to them would be an expensive effort that none of these companies will fund. Hell, the main reason we got the modern era of linux handhelds we did was because of Hardkernel doing the work and making sure Linux was well supported on their hardware, which everyone else then cloned.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Hooray. Ordered the RG505 today......and then got an RG35xx on Aliexpress for $35 shipped. drat overseas shipping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Hooray. Ordered the RG505 today......and then got an RG35xx on Aliexpress for $35 shipped. drat overseas shipping.

Wow that’s cheap. From a reputable seller I assume?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Rinkles posted:

Wow that’s cheap. From a reputable seller I assume?

I don't really order from Aliexpress very often.....and I cannot even remember why I was on the site yesterday morning.....so I guess I have no idea. Something called 'Data Frog FCS Store'. Looks like they manufacture their own systems as well. Says it shipped. Guess I'll find out. Figured that $35 shipped was worth the coin flip.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i keep having to stop myself from getting an x55 or 503 just because the ergonomics look way better than any other device from PK or Anbernic, but they're obviously underpowered compared to my Flip. i wish PK and Anbernic had more devices that weren't slabs. i like the Flip as something pocketable and that i can easily plug into the TV, but i'd love a grippy handheld for bed gaming like my Steam Deck and Switch w/ Hori Pro

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I don't really order from Aliexpress very often.....and I cannot even remember why I was on the site yesterday morning.....so I guess I have no idea. Something called 'Data Frog FCS Store'. Looks like they manufacture their own systems as well. Says it shipped. Guess I'll find out. Figured that $35 shipped was worth the coin flip.

Hope it works out. I have one of their systems (SF2000, which despite the form factor being a SNES controller, can't actually play Super Mario World at full speed). I ordered another system from them and they never delivered it. The process of getting a refund amounted to "Nuh uh, yeah huh" and Aliexpress eventually told me it was my responsibility to prove it didn't get delivered. (how do you even do that?) so I was out $12+shipping and I'm still pissed about it. That was ordered in May of 2022. Out of 4 orders from Data Frog that was the only one they screwed me over on.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Data frogs also make their aftermarket Xbox controller shells and replacement parts.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

of the next level up from the retroids/anbernics what are good go to's? the odin 2 looks like it might be the best value x performance for that level of device but are there better value contenders at that 250-400 price point?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 25, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How about thor's dad odin? Mine just shipped.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

waiting for the hera, personally

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Way I see it once you get past the $150 range you start reaching the point where you're just better off saving up for a Steam Deck

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

STONE COLD 64 posted:

of the next level up from the retroids/anbernics what are good go to's? the odin 2 looks like it might be the best value x performance for that level of device but are there better value contenders at that 250-400 price point?
Either an Odin or getting a backbone/kishi type controller attachment for your phone, after that refurb steam decks are so cheap they've completely cannibalized the high end android and low end x86 handhelds, there's no room for anything else

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I personally am really loving my Ayaneo Pocket Air. It's very pretty and nice to hold, and I haven't had any problems with PS2 or GC on it so far.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Value proposition-wise it’s hard to beat the Deck, but it does depend what you want to do with it.

I have an Odin and a Deck and 9 times out of 10, if a game can be played on both I’d prefer to use the Odin. For me it’s the more comfortable of the two and even feels more premium, plus the battery life is multiple times better.

Given my “gaming PC” is over 10 years old, the Deck has opened up a library of modern games I’m not able to play any other way. And it can just power through higher end emulation that the Odin struggles with. But in the 9 months I’ve owned it I don’t think it’s left the house a single time - I’ll always take the Odin (or something even smaller/weaker) and “make do”.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think its fine to have the Deck to handheld at home and something smaller for handheld outside. That's why I have the RP3+ after all.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah the deck is amazing but I don't want to hold something this big for like Kirby Pinball. That said, now that I have the OLED Deck I don't see any use in ever upgrading from my RP2S... you know unless something cool comes up.

Hey real quick EmuDeck question, my Emulation Station DE scraping is insanely slow even though I have my Screenscraper credentials in the options. Any workaround for this? It's gonna take like a week otherwise.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

kirbysuperstar posted:

waiting for the hera, personally

What is the Hera?

err fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

err posted:

What is the Hera?
I assume that was a joke based upon the theming of the Ayn device naming scheme.