Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Takes No Damage posted:

Not really, though it can seem that way since Mark is getting stronger so quickly. That would be happening even without the constant rear end beatings. There's a much more explicit DBZ stand-in that we may or may not cover this season.

Seriously, can mods do something about poo poo like this?

Why do comic readers feel the need to do this?

Good episode. I don't have much hope for the bug people survival past next week

Edit: the more hilarious option: We have seen the bug people impersonate others, that's not Omniman, it's a bug peerosn impersonating him for a 4D chess play

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Spoiler, in that the creator is talking about episode 4 without specifics, but it's being described as almost as insane as the season 1 finale. So maybe this half-season won't end on a cliffhanger after all

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I’m surprised Mark didn’t fall for Plan A with the Seance Dog

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

In the Atom Eve special he's also a guy and I think the father of the one killed by omniman. The powers were from some amulet or stone that I guess can just be passed on to another person.

When she flies out to meet up with the other Guardians for OmniCon we see her swallow a green egg thing to transform, supposedly anyone who had the rock would have those powers.

GateOfD posted:

I’m surprised Mark didn’t fall for Plan A with the Seance Dog

Even in animated alt-reality he knows it's really Science Dog :unsmith:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ever since Monster Girl mentioned in season 1 she de-ages a week EVERY TIME she transforms, I'm always yelling at her in my head when she deliberately chooses to transfer back and forth multiple times in rapid succession for no reason.

Like in ep 1 or 2 this season when she went back to a "girl" (yeah she's like technically 35) just to say "hey Robot, you're a regular human now with emotions,and that's called fear." And then went right back to the monster form.

Why didn't she STAY as a monster? Or back in season 1 we saw all the training/recruitment sessions and she was again changing back and forth multiple times.

At some point soon she needs to retire for, like..ten loving years so she can age back to an adult again.
Although I guess it's neat having a built-in way to not die of old age.

Unless she's still physically aging on the inside still? And will get osteoporosis , cancer, Alzheimer's, and heart failure even if she stops being a superhero at, like...40?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Good Citizen posted:

Spoiler, in that the creator is talking about episode 4 without specifics, but it's being described as almost as insane as the season 1 finale. So maybe this half-season won't end on a cliffhanger after all

No actual plot details spoilers I'm not sure how that would work. Unless there is an extra long episode/really compress stuff to reach the point where I think it is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Honestly, I'm surprised that Monster Girl manages to consistently stay at her current age range. It's probably for the sake of convenience so as not to make it look really weird when the 12-year-old looking Robot is taking someone who looks 6-years-old on a date or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They forgot to mention that Rudy gave her a belt that keeps her from de aging when she transforms. So the two of them will age up normally at this point I guess.

Admin Edit: Reported as a spoiler so I tagged it. Is it? I dunno but it's done.!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

P sure that hasn’t happened yet so you should remove

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Luckily it's already been reported, but goddamnit people, is it really that hard to not spoil poo poo?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr. Nemo posted:

Luckily it's already been reported, but goddamnit people, is it really that hard to not spoil poo poo?

I guess so. Book readers are obsessed with posting things they've read in books.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You mean the anti aging wristbands that are a large plot point in season 1 of the animated TV show Invincible? :mad: how dare he spoil me on this.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 22, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Collateral posted:

You mean the anti aging wristbands that are a large plot point in season 1 of the animated TV show Invincible? :mad: how dare he spoil me on this.

No these are pro aging, totally different

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Oh I see, my mistake. Burn the witch then.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Unless....he reversed the polarity and inverted the chromiton* flow....he is a clever tyke.

*autocorrect wanted to change this to cruton, which I feel is rather apt, and crunchy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cojawfee posted:

I guess so. Book readers are obsessed with posting things they've read in books.

It's not always malice. The series is going to the same places as the book, mostly, but at a different pace. The subject under discussion is something that is much further along in the series than it was by this point in the books, and the spoiler given had already happened by the time it reached the place where it is now. It's easy as a reader to get confused - which is why I mostly keep my mouth closed.

Also, just because it did happen in the book doesn't mean it will happen in the show. They could easily take a different path.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I went to read the relevant comic chapter after S2E2 and the fish marriage was completely different.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They are doing Invincible 2.0: newer and better.

The atlanrean comic was superfluous to the main plot, and condensing it into a punchman vignette was the right thing to do.

Due to the time limited nature of tv a ton of small colour details will get dropped. The comic was 144 issues long.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Collateral posted:

The atlanrean comic was superfluous to the main plot, and condensing it into a punchman vignette was the right thing to do.

Due to the time limited nature of tv a ton of small colour details will get dropped. The comic was 144 issues long.

More, considering the Atom Eve special episode is based on a miniseries spin- off

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Atom Eve special still seems really pointless to me. Sure, it was an excuse for some fights and gore, but it didn't show anything that couldn't have been done in a small flashback or a few lines of dialogue.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr. Nemo posted:

Goons are really, really, weird about spoilers. More than once I've seen people in ADTRW get really mad about having to use them like, a day after a brand new chapter of something came out or rush into a thread to breathlessly post everything that leaked about an upcoming chapter.

Collateral posted:

I'm pretty impressed by how they've reorganized things to make it all flow better. Like, even with season one's content; in the comics there wasn't any serious mystery about who killed the guardians because The Immortal was dug up, brought back to life, and attacked Omni Man almost immediately, and it was only after Omni Man left earth that Mark met Cecil and all the other events, like his trip to mars, happened IIRC. simply reorganizing plot beats made the series feel a lot stronger, but it's not surprising that they have a better sense of timing and narrative weight when looking over a completed series.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

they may be burning through plot points and arcs from the comics relatively quicker (or dropping some and merging others, in the comics one of the first big things Mark does is go after a teacher at his high school that is abducting students) but I think the overall world is richer, because we spend time with the world outside Mark. When Eve finds out Rex is cheating on her, all that happens is a page of her arriving at HQ, asking where everyone is, stumbling into the shower, seeing Rex and Kate, and reacting in silence. Like other things in the comics (like the "this is so gay" thing I mentioned before) this is how Rex finds out, and the panels from Eve's discovery are basically copied directly and Rex is in Eve's place instead.

I like that the show has the scenes go longer for both Eve and Rex, because it allows exploration of characters that otherwise don't get it. Duplikate never says anything about why she is now with Immortal, she doesn't talk about why she is able to relate to him and couldn't with Rex. Just that extra scene in this last episode gives her more dimension than she got in the entire run of the comic

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aces High posted:

they may be burning through plot points and arcs from the comics relatively quicker (or dropping some and merging others, in the comics one of the first big things Mark does is go after a teacher at his high school that is abducting students) but I think the overall world is richer, because we spend time with the world outside Mark. When Eve finds out Rex is cheating on her, all that happens is a page of her arriving at HQ, asking where everyone is, stumbling into the shower, seeing Rex and Kate, and reacting in silence. Like other things in the comics (like the "this is so gay" thing I mentioned before) this is how Rex finds out, and the panels from Eve's discovery are basically copied directly and Rex is in Eve's place instead.

I like that the show has the scenes go longer for both Eve and Rex, because it allows exploration of characters that otherwise don't get it. Duplikate never says anything about why she is now with Immortal, she doesn't talk about why she is able to relate to him and couldn't with Rex. Just that extra scene in this last episode gives her more dimension than she got in the entire run of the comic

The comics had a real problem with that poo poo, the scene with duplikate cheating on rex was basically just a joke in the "haha now it's happening to him" sense and the characters' actual reactions and feelings largely didn't exist. It's been mentioned in the thread before but Most of the women in the series largely just existed as like, props for the dudes and had very shallow personalities outside of their relationships and were often defined solely as "the girlfriend/wife of so-and-so" with the majority of Eve's personality being bundled into her unspoken feelings for Mark, Amber just being "hot girlfriend", and Debbie just becoming an alcoholic and largely being off panel for a good chunk of the comic at these equivalent points. The show just gave Duplikate more development in one episode than she did in basically the entire run of the comics.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like this show, but this subplot with all the lame X-Men (or whatever) is super loving boring. They just sit around and squabble a lot, there's not actually a plot here. It's sort of like a badly formed sitcom.

I like the alien normal man though. He's kinda fun, though that doesn't actually fix the problem.

Also the gag it looks like the episode is going to be about Allen the Alien and then they just brutally kill him halfway through was pretty good, but the back half of the episode just sort of had nothing to do with the first half and sort of floundered back in subplot hell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think they're more the Teen Titans.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think they're more the Teen Titans.

They're what happens if the Justice League are all killed by Superman and the Teen Titans have to take their place.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If Dupli-Kate even betrays the others will she rename herself to "turni-Kate"?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
She multiplies out of control and eats entire crops, changing her name to Katydid.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

She multiplies out of control and eats entire crops, changing her name to Katydid.

Alternatively: Ci-Kate-a

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Only does superhero stuff once every 17 years.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So she can just reabsorb her duplicates? They just... Walk behind her and vanish, it's weird. They're all simultaneously her, yet can move and talk independently of one another, and it appears she can feel what they all feel. So every time one of them dies, it's like dying.

Also, it's a previous season thing, but it always cracked me up how the Mauler twins go through this effort to reanimate the immortal only for him to IMMEDIATELY Leeroy Jenkins himself into Omniman. In spite of being technically immortal each death puts him out of commission for quite some time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I want to see a version of the Maulers where they are still the same, but they've learned that if they PLAY nice the heroes will trust them to do their tech in peace, so they deliberately go low violence so that they get left alone.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Panfilo posted:

So she can just reabsorb her duplicates? They just... Walk behind her and vanish, it's weird. They're all simultaneously her, yet can move and talk independently of one another, and it appears she can feel what they all feel. So every time one of them dies, it's like dying.

I assume she works on Multiple Man rules from X-men in that each clone becomes its own independent person, but as soon as they're reabsorbed their knowledge and experiences just get combined into the new gestalt seamlessly.

I don't know whether or not this means that she has to reabsorb her dead dopplegangers or not though if she's experiencing what they feel.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Even if she doesn't, just the fact she sees herself dying over and over should have turned her into a demented wreck. More so than the immortal.

Even years after playing through Soma, I still think about it everytime there is a similar situation in media. The coin toss.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Also, it's a previous season thing, but it always cracked me up how the Mauler twins go through this effort to reanimate the immortal only for him to IMMEDIATELY Leeroy Jenkins himself into Omniman. In spite of being technically immortal each death puts him out of commission for quite some time.

This actually made me wonder something: given the Immortal died previously as Lincoln, you'd think Cecil would have known he could just revive him.

I guess the idea we're supposed to go with is that the Immortal was basically just really long-lived and never met anything that could outright kill him until Nolan showed up, and then the Mauler provided the information that he could be revived from death.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Nolan decapitated him, iirc. I think Cecil probably thought "well, no one's done that in the thousands of years he's been around. Maybe this is it" and then the Maulers decided to try some other outside the box thinking that proved to work.

We see in the Atom Eve special that keeping someone alive after they've died isn't a huge ask for the MIC, but Immortal is useless in the state that Eve's biological mother was

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He practically useless alive and well.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
The agents hook his head up to a life-support device when they first investigate the scene of Nolan's betrayal. So they know there's at least a chance of him coming back from that. Maybe it hasn't happened since Omni-Man came to Earth, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alright, that is definitely the best title card gag this season. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It seems like either 1) Cecil didn't know the specifics of how the Immortal came back and just went ahead with the funeral when it wasn't immediate or 2) the Immortal wouldn't naturally regenerate from decapitation but the Maulers provided some extra help.