Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

AndyElusive posted:

Lol did this actually happen and get detailed in an HH BL or a FW black book that I totally missed?

It's in one of the second-edition rulebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's also a part where they accidentally spill acid on the purple and like it so much that a bunch acid-wash their power armor.

But by then they were also painting all kinds of personal decorations on themselves anyway.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

drat, the loyalist really stuck it to the Emperor's Children right where it hurts.

Which, in hindsight, I'm sure they ended up loving because it hurt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moths posted:

There's also a part where they accidentally spill acid on the purple and like it so much that a bunch acid-wash their power armor.

But by then they were also painting all kinds of personal decorations on themselves anyway.

That's in a short story about Eidolon and the Kakaphoni (predecessors to the noise marines)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ferret posted:

My group of friends put together a truly massive 30k game. A massive 30k versus 30k game with everything from massive Titans to the humble Guard troopers seeing action. Please enjoy the pictures since this was an epic game and showcases some of my friends incredible work. Please ignore the background decor as our rental house was furnished by insane facebook posts we think.

So they approach...

I brought out my humble Guard army that I play in 40k since my own Dark Angels are far from painted. I used the The Imperialis Militia to translate my armored Cadian guard into an industrial stronghold, warrior elite milita army. A lot of this was trying to find uses for what I already had painted. I do enjoy that in a game involving Perturabo, Ka'Bandha, and Horus being on the table, my warlord is a mounted Merchant Princeling marching with his "lifeguard" squad.

I still had to cheat a bit as my Shadowsword, Basilisk, and Avenger Strike Fighter are only available to the Space Marine Legions. I guess those weapons had not made their way out to the local militia units yet. I took them anyway since it was an Apocalypse game and that was the spirit of the game. Still, it did not matter. My 4000 points were a tiny part of the massive battle that would take place. Just the scale of this was insane.

Horus charged headfirst into what would become known as "Spartan Alley".

Perturabo showed up with his custom Shadowsword but spent the game running around with his robot pals wrecking everything that he came into contact with.

Demons of the Ruinstorm burst through the gate and bullied pretty much everything all game. They are very fast on the table, and really put us back. Looked epic as hell though.

Warhammer 30k is nothing if not glorious piles of marines. Just mobs of power armor vibrating against each other for turns at at time.

It is worth to remembering how much of this is just a giant pile of tanks as well.

I remember looking up from my various tanks getting nuked by stray shots from the titans to see what could only be described as the "Madness Pile." This features Alpharius and friends meeting a pile of Custodes.

It was a great, if exhausting game. We set up the table and armies the day before, but it was still an all day affair. We joke that you play Apocalypse once a year to remind yourself why you only do this once a year. Enjoy a final shot of how a good riff on a Titan's owner resulted in a stray Doomday/Apocalypse cannon annihilating some Sentinels and a Russ.

Quoting for the new page because this poo poo's great. Love seeing huge battles like this where (almost) everything's painted. They represent a ton of effort from everyone involved.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Wearing a ahegao hoody in a warzone except its power armour.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Z the IVth posted:

Wearing a ahegao hoody in a warzone except its power armour.

The monkey paw curls and some pervert finds himself ordering some Repentia...

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

That Armageddon game reminds me of something a coworker of mine wants to go once Legions Imperialis comes out. Basically, the idea is to have a have of normal-sized Heresy going on next to a table playing Legions, but the two armies are the same. "Just imagine, you're about to move a unit on the Heresy board into battle, and the turn before, your opponent on the Legions board uses their titan to just obliterate them."

Which, to be honest, could be kinda cool in a way, though thinking about it I might have the Heresy board and Legions board on different sides of the game space if possible, but have it be more of a team game. Something like having the Legions players be more of a general, looking at the zoomed-out version of the same area the Heresy players would be fighting in, and they would have to try and coordinate movement. There would likely need to be an impartial party to help coordinate the movements from the Heresy guys into moving the units in the Legions game, but assuming everything was working ideally, it would be so loving cool to see done.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Aniodia posted:

That Armageddon game reminds me of something a coworker of mine wants to go once Legions Imperialis comes out. Basically, the idea is to have a have of normal-sized Heresy going on next to a table playing Legions, but the two armies are the same. "Just imagine, you're about to move a unit on the Heresy board into battle, and the turn before, your opponent on the Legions board uses their titan to just obliterate them."

Which, to be honest, could be kinda cool in a way, though thinking about it I might have the Heresy board and Legions board on different sides of the game space if possible, but have it be more of a team game. Something like having the Legions players be more of a general, looking at the zoomed-out version of the same area the Heresy players would be fighting in, and they would have to try and coordinate movement. There would likely need to be an impartial party to help coordinate the movements from the Heresy guys into moving the units in the Legions game, but assuming everything was working ideally, it would be so loving cool to see done.

my suggestion there would be a fancy objective building or two on the Legions table that is an entrance to a big Zone Mortalis table for anything that moves into it, then designate somewhere on that as "missile silo control uplinks" or w/e bullshit so it can link back to the outside. still gives the feeling of your reinforcements getting dramatically obliterated on approach, with less fiddly logistical bookkeeping

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My buddy and I figured out why his Sons of Horus were underperforming: he had been consistently using rhinos to move his melee troops around.

The rhino's lack of an assault ramp meant I always got a full turn of shooting before and a chance to charge them on my own terms.

Now that this is clear, I look forward to never winning another game against him.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I was busy for three hours and my local store put up the Legions Imperialis preorders and they sold out in that time. I mean I just got it from elsewhere, and apparently they only got 7 copies, so not a huge deal.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bullbar posted:

I was busy for three hours and my local store put up the Legions Imperialis preorders and they sold out in that time. I mean I just got it from elsewhere, and apparently they only got 7 copies, so not a huge deal.
Yeah, it sold out insanely fast. I tried to buy it from the GW site and stuff got ripped out of my cart as it sold out. I was in the middle of trying to check out. I know it's been said many times, but the new site sucks rear end.

I wound up getting stuff off of ebay instead. I've never gone that route for pre-orders so we'll see how it goes. I got enough to form a solid base to build off of and no more than that. We know more stuff is coming and, thankfully, I already have a full Legio Solaria force ready to go from AT. I'm excited to try out some schemes. I want something efficient that also looks reasonably close to my 28mm army. Enough that I can say they represent the same force at different scales.

moths posted:

My buddy and I figured out why his Sons of Horus were underperforming: he had been consistently using rhinos to move his melee troops around.

The rhino's lack of an assault ramp meant I always got a full turn of shooting before and a chance to charge them on my own terms.

Now that this is clear, I look forward to never winning another game against him.
Land raiders aren't too bad to deal with as long as you've got some lascannons or melta in your list. They're also expensive so they won't be able to swamp the board in AV14. They're decent anti-tank in their own right though so be prepared for that. A kitted out spartan will be more difficult, but that's going to be very much a singular, obvious threat. Hard to fit much else unless you're playing at 3k.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He's got a big blob of SoH Inductii and at least one Spartan - I think that's where they're going and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works for him.

But I've finally gotten enough lascanons to build my Sun Killers, so it's going to be interesting.

We generally play 1500 points on weeknights, so it's tricky to squeeze everything you need in the lists. I'm using a lot of synergies.

Going heavy on Kakophoni with daemons and night fighting almost feels like cheating. The pin tests are effectively at -3 if I can get Daemons close. (-1 ld night fighting, fear, and shellshock 1). Expensive as heck though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i've been messing around with some white scars and i have a question about the ebon keshig row - it's says all units consisting of infantry or whatever must be given the kharash and fnp 5+ special rules. am i misreading this and they just mean that all units consisting of infantry get those rules?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i've been messing around with some white scars and i have a question about the ebon keshig row - it's says all units consisting of infantry or whatever must be given the kharash and fnp 5+ special rules. am i misreading this and they just mean that all units consisting of infantry get those rules?

I think they might be using the 'must be given' wording instead of giving an option because the Kharash rule has a 'can only join or be joined by units with this rule' condition in it, so being compelled to apply it to all units of infantry avoids someone opting out of the point of the RoW, or having to write around how it would interact with a Mortificator or Praevian being able to join other unit types...?

Looks like it works with a Forge Lord though, since Thallax are just infantry. Going up to a 5+ FNP on them is kinda cool.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm striking out on Google because of the words involved, but what's up with Iron Hands painting their hands iron?

Sometimes they've got unpainted metallic hands, other times painted black, and some lore says they always have cybernetic left hands. Was to honor Ferrus only after his death? Or a personal preference all along?

Or just undefined / whatever the studio thought looked cool and I'm overthinking?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

moths posted:

Or just undefined / whatever the studio thought looked cool and I'm overthinking?

It’s this :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

I'm striking out on Google because of the words involved, but what's up with Iron Hands painting their hands iron?

Sometimes they've got unpainted metallic hands, other times painted black, and some lore says they always have cybernetic left hands. Was to honor Ferrus only after his death? Or a personal preference all along?

As part of initiation, they have their left hand replaced with a cybernetic. I paint mine with metallic hands as a personal choice. I think the studio theme is generally metallic silver for both hands. Lorewise, the hand replacement was something they did before Ferrus died, but then they got even crazier about doing it aftetwards.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Yeah originally the bionics were just a result of their impulse to get injured troops back to fighting condition quickly. That then curdled into obsessiveness about being strong (especially after Ferrus's death) which was then identified with the bionics themselves.

The studio seems to just paint the gloves because I guess it's easier? It's also one of those things where exposed bionics need extra bits, though tbh the 30k IH range seems to have more of a blend of really exposed bionics and those which have some armour plates on them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok rad, thanks everybody!

These guys are such weirdos with such a sick color scheme, I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Aniodia posted:

Just before 2.0 came out my old store had a slow grow league and one month the theme mission was a linked game with a zm board and a field board. On each board players could take control of ship weapons/ground batteries and fire them at the other board. You could probably do something similar, most easily with ZM but i could imagine a scenario where the LI players are fighting over a travel network and the 30k players can only get ground reserves when their team controls a viable road (or similar).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There are some legitimately great squads in this article:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/29/assault-marines-come-screaming-in-from-the-horus-heresy-studio/

Big fan of these guys.

I'm a sucker for checkers and heraldry. Why yes, I do play Dark Angels.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
The hazard stripeless Iron Warriors in that article feel wrong

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Those are really great looking squads. Are people taking combat shields? They seem kind of questionable and I already wasted 40 points sticking chain bayonets on my tacticals.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lucinice posted:

The hazard stripeless Iron Warriors in that article feel wrong

The chest stripes are weird. It's like IW are all basecoated in hazard stripes, but you can only see it when it peels off?

The light Ultramarines do not look good and the WS paint scheme looks weird - must be because there's no trim on Mk6 for the reds.

Traitors deffo got the better paintjobs, the Alphas and WEs look natural.

On the other hand, the DA and the BA set with the scripture shield are cheffkiss

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

There are some legitimately great squads in this article:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/29/assault-marines-come-screaming-in-from-the-horus-heresy-studio/

Big fan of these guys.

I'm a sucker for checkers and heraldry. Why yes, I do play Dark Angels.

the official box art photography kind of threw me on these but I think these are photographed at a better angle and really show that the poses are pretty good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

One of those Iron Warriors has a KiL making!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

World Eaters look wrong as beakies imo, they should always have angry grill faces of some kind.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i really hate the beakies.

also did they discontinue all those Space Wolves upgrade kits for their troops?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Ok rad, thanks everybody!

These guys are such weirdos with such a sick color scheme, I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them.

They are my Big Favourites

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Seemingly so. Only the absolutely boring beakie helmets remain.

The awooo pattern beakie heads got nixed so fast, lmao

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

smug jeebus posted:

Those are really great looking squads. Are people taking combat shields? They seem kind of questionable and I already wasted 40 points sticking chain bayonets on my tacticals.

I keep going back and forth on combat shields. They're only a 2 point/model upgrade and I think that a large unit will benefit from them especially when combined with an apothecary. That's a lot of extra points though. We're talking 100 points in durability at that point. If I had to pick between the two options I'd take the apothecary. However, the shields do look really good and they're a great opportunity for individual heraldry. And 40 points isn't that much in 2k+...

:shepface:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Can these guys act as economical deapoilers? Cos resin hands are 25 per 5.

Otoh, these would need normal backpacks and the weird assault chests would be obvious...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The most economical source for GW despoiler arms is people offloading old khorne berserkers.

All the Khorne poo poo comes off really easily, or stays on if you're doing World Eaters.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Can you make destroyers with 2x bolt pistols with that box?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yes, it comes with bolt pistols in left and right hands.

The only thing that's weird are the "spike" on the elbow joint, gloves, and the occasional khorne symbol. The chain swords and axes have extra trim, but the crap hanging from handles clips right off seamlessly.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

YMMV on how well the 90's berserker arms mix with anything newer though, the hands on them are nearly the size of a modern marine's head

meanwhile, been working on my Iron Hands again, have a Praevian and a Gorgon mostly done:

and also started on a Herald:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

What thickness plasticard do you use for your trim?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

The Demilich posted:

What thickness plasticard do you use for your trim?

on that it was all 0.5mm, but once it's on the model I sand it down a little so it conforms to the surface better. would've used 0.3mm for one or two bits if I had it to hand though, shaping that part for the shin took a couple of tries to bend without breaking them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/30/heresy-thursday-the-dark-emissary-brings-the-warmasters-unrelenting-gaze/

We've got another consul so it looks like they're going to run through the unique ones as well as some iconic ones like the Thousand Sons librarian. I don't play SoH so I had to look this guy's rules up. He's meant to lead an allied detachment and would work very well in a militia or solar aux army. Great, but definitely niche.