Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Apple 16.2" MacBook Pro - Apple M1 Pro 10-Core CPU, 16-Core GPU, 16GB RAM, Space Gray (2021 Model) refurb goes in and out of stock at woot.com for like $1200 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Yeah, the official refurb market is the sweet spot for those BTO options. They come good as new, no reason not to go for it if you’re looking for a deal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Apex Rogers posted:

Yeah, the official refurb market is the sweet spot for those BTO options. They come good as new, no reason not to go for it if you’re looking for a deal.

I'ma amplify this. Apple refurbs are 100% the way to go. I recommend them to friends and buy them for family. They come in a less-fancy box, but are otherwise 100% what you'd get buying new. Statistically, they should even be more reliable than a new unit out of the box. Solid state electronics follow a bathtub curve (look it up) for failure rates. They'll most likely either fail in the first 60-90 days from manufacturing defects or go for at least 3 years until heat, vibration, and dust do their thing. A refurb already had a component fail, very, very few systems will have a second component fail. And if something does go, refurbs are eligible for Applecare just like a new machine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So it looks like Apple gave advanced access to the GPTK 1.1 to Codeweavers before it released it to the general dev community which is an interesting move on their part.

This video goes into some speculation as to the motives behind it and it also looks like apple has changed some of the licensing verbiage to accommodate Codeweavers use of the GPTK in Crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPG4ErvTkbg

For people that aren't aware Codeweavers are the ones responsible for Proton which valve uses in the steam deck.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

got a funny issue with my work mac mini (2018). The USBC>DP cable works fine, but my HDMI port doesn't.

If I boot with just the HDMI cable, that monitor works until login, which is when it blacks out. Any ideas on how I can reset my mini? I miss dual screens

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
OK, I read the last 3-4 pages but my eyes glazed over as people argued about RAM charts. Please forgive me if this post or similar gets posted every other hour.

I'm the non Mac - build his own desktop PC kind of guy - husband of a Mac loving wife. She currently uses whatever her work provided (I have no idea) as well as the last Mac I bought her for Xmas of 2014. 15" MBP, maybe 256GB hard drive, no idea on RAM as the Amazon listing is long gone. It's of course ancient and she hates it.

Use case as best I can describe:
She's a designer. Web, some print, logos etc. Uses various Adobe CS programs constantly, though it's mostly Illustrator and Photoshop. Very little to no video work as far as I can tell, but will frequently have more tabs and browsers open than I can count.
When working from her desk at home, she has and uses two external 27" 1440p monitors - I think she tends to keep the Mac itself closed and in some vertical stand, using an external keyboard and mouse. Maybe sometimes she has it open using it as a third screen? She does frequently like working from the couch though, so screen size does matter to some extent.

From what I can find - it looks like a current 16" MPB is nearly identical in size to her current one and she's never complained about carrying that around. And while a recent refurbished MBP would probably suffice - I know she'd prefer to have something new.

I assume a base level 16" MBP with the M3pro chip would be far more than sufficient for what I'm describing? Possibly total overkill, but she'll likely use it for 6-7+ years so any level of future proofing is OK I suppose. I'd probably up her hard drive to a full TB cause she keeps work and project files forever.

Couple side questions:
What's the current take on Apple care? Good idea or waste of money?
Right now, she doesn't have a proper docking station that I know of. I think she has to actually plug her external monitors in each time she wants to use them. In a perfect world I think she'd like something she could just drop the Mac into where it would recognize the monitors, keyboard etc and just WORK. Any recs on something like that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tony Phillips posted:

OK, I read the last 3-4 pages but my eyes glazed over as people argued about RAM charts. Please forgive me if this post or similar gets posted every other hour.

I'm the non Mac - build his own desktop PC kind of guy - husband of a Mac loving wife. She currently uses whatever her work provided (I have no idea) as well as the last Mac I bought her for Xmas of 2014. 15" MBP, maybe 256GB hard drive, no idea on RAM as the Amazon listing is long gone. It's of course ancient and she hates it.

She's a designer. Web, some print, logos etc. Uses various Adobe CS programs constantly, though it's mostly Illustrator and Photoshop. Very little to no video work as far as I can tell, but will frequently have more tabs and browsers open than I can count.
When working from her desk at home, she has and uses two external 27" 1440p monitors - I think she tends to keep the Mac itself closed and in some vertical stand, using an external keyboard and mouse. Maybe sometimes she has it open using it as a third screen? She does frequently like working from the couch though, so screen size does matter to some extent.

From what I can find - it looks like a current 16" MPB is nearly identical in size to her current one and she's never complained about carrying that around. And while a recent refurbished MBP would probably suffice - I know she'd prefer to have something new.

I assume a base level 16" MBP with the M3pro chip would be far more than sufficient for what I'm describing? Possibly total overkill, but she'll likely use it for 6-7+ years so any level of future proofing is OK I suppose. I'd probably up her hard drive to a full TB cause she keeps work and project files forever.

Couple side questions:
Right now, she doesn't have a proper docking station that I know of. I think she has to actually plug her external monitors in each time she wants to use them. In a perfect world I think she'd like something she could just drop the Mac into where it would recognize the monitors, keyboard etc and just WORK. Any recs on something like that?

yes. it would be more than sufficient. an m2 air is also a good buy and vastly better than what she currently has but the screens are a bit nicer on the pro, plus the two external displays.

docking stations people go back and forth on but there are several thunderbolt 3 options out there that work well from several vendors and only require plugging in the single cable. everyone seems to have different experiences though even among the same units. we use an baker one and it’s honestly fine but i’d wager that anything you can find on apples website from a third party vendor (even if you buy it elsewhere) is probably not the worst decision

apple care is a bit of lotto playing but i like the peace of mind personally and have used it extensively in the past to the point that it’s never been a bad deal for me personally. if it’s docked like 100% of the time it’s less of an issue maybe.

don’t forget to check the education section of the website because they generally don’t check.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Will she be taking the laptop outside the house or do you have kids? Absolutely get Apple Care.

If you don’t, it’s worth considering but not necessary.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

yes. it would be more than sufficient. an m2 air is also a good buy and vastly better than what she currently has but the screens are a bit nicer on the pro, plus the two external displays.

making sure this is clear, because it's not obvious: you can connect a maximum of one external display to a macbook air or pro with m1, m2, or m3 chip. if she needs two displays, she has to get a macbook pro with pro chip or max chip.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213503

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hypnophant posted:

making sure this is clear, because it's not obvious: you can connect a maximum of one external display to a macbook air or pro with m1, m2, or m3 chip. if she needs two displays, she has to get a macbook pro with pro chip or max chip.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213503

yes, this is a good clarification

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

If she usually keeps the laptop closed, a 14” MacBook Pro with the M3 Pro chip is probably best unless the extra $$ for the 16” doesn’t matter to you. As far as I know they are basically identical computers except the screen size. But yeah, make sure the actual chip in the computer is called “Pro” or “Max” or she won’t be able to use 2 monitors with it (the base 14 inch MacBook Pro does not have a “Pro” chip, you have to go for the $2k or higher pro laptops).

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Appreciate the input.

No kids, and she does keep her current Mac in a vertical stand most of the time, so will have to think about the Apple care. Though yeah, I'm typically a peace of mind kind of guy.

I had seen the restriction on external monitors, but didn't even see 16" models with the base M3 chip regardless so moot assuming she'll want the larger screen. But definitely good to know should she want to consider an air.

Potentially dumb next (last?) question. If we do want to increase to a 1TB hard drive - are we limited to BTO direct from Apple? Not seeing the combination I'm considering on bestbuy or amazon.

ShadeofBlue posted:

If she usually keeps the laptop closed, a 14” MacBook Pro with the M3 Pro chip is probably best unless the extra $$ for the 16” doesn’t matter to you. As far as I know they are basically identical computers except the screen size. But yeah, make sure the actual chip in the computer is called “Pro” or “Max” or she won’t be able to use 2 monitors with it (the base 14 inch MacBook Pro does not have a “Pro” chip, you have to go for the $2k or higher pro laptops).

Thanks as well. I'll have to talk to her a bit about it. She DOES take the laptop out now and then, but a majority of the time it is closed up etc. And I see that if you're getting the M3Pro chip, the 14" already come with 1TB drives. Right now on Bestbuy at $2250 vs. $2400 at Apple, with the price jumping up to $2700 for a 1TB M3Pro 16" at Apple.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 22, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This seems like a pretty good deal as it comes with Apple care +

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

This seems like a pretty good deal as it comes with Apple care +

I don't need to upgrade yet.... I don't need to upgrade yet...

Killer deal.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tony Phillips posted:

Couple side questions:

I don't have much to add other than I just got exactly what you're talking about M3/16"/18GB/1TB delivered to me this week and it's very very nice. I feel like this is about perfect in terms of slightly overkill but will (hopefully) last a really long time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't have much to add other than I just got exactly what you're talking about M3/16"/18GB/1TB delivered to me this week and it's very very nice. I feel like this is about perfect in terms of slightly overkill but will (hopefully) last a really long time.
Don't think of it as overkill, think of it as future-proofing - your machine will remain usable for 1-2 year longer than if you'd cheaped out for lower specs, and in fact you probably will end up saving money in the long run.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
let's not normalize apple's egregious ram and storage pricing

it's a ripoff, which sometimes makes sense to bite the bullet and pay

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They’ve already normalized it. Pay the tax or live with a computer with a 512GB hard drive. Pointing out how expensive it is isn’t going to fix your problem.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hypnophant posted:

let's not normalize apple's egregious ram and storage pricing

it's a ripoff, which sometimes makes sense to bite the bullet and pay

my guy this is how they’ve operated for at least 20 years. it’s been normalized

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not having to deal with Windows BS is worth Any$ increased cost

I had Linux on my Thinkpad but it still had about 4 hours of battery life, this Apple Silicon chip is loving impressive

The RAM stuff sucks but I guess my point is the rest of it all is worth dealing with the bullshit

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I think it's time to update the thread title to $5k Supremacy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

People have mentioned an iPad thread a few times, but where is the iPad thread? I looked around and didn't see anything.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here you go friend

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Huh, I wonder why that didn't turn up in the search. Thanks!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FCKGW posted:

my guy this is how they’ve operated for at least 20 years. it’s been normalized

At least 20 years ago you could put your own RAM and HDDs (and GPUs, for towers, which were cheap) in it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apple’s whole thing is finding the absolute most you’ll pay for a thing, then turning the screws and making you hate yourself while you pay 10–20% more than that

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

TACD posted:

Apple’s whole thing is finding the absolute most you’ll pay for a thing, then turning the screws and making you hate yourself while you pay 10–20% more than that

While telling yourself it’s only a little bit of pain for five or so years of computing bliss so might as well.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Apple tax is real and I have - and will continue - to pay it begrudgingly

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
The Apple premium is just what it costs to have a computer that doesn’t make you hate yourself. It’s more that Windows notebook manufacturers have made so many compromises / cut so many corners to get the price down (since that’s the only point they can compete on) that they’ve normalized accepting a lovely machine for less $$$

… I tell myself, having just paid for the 24 gb RAM option on this new MBA :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Macichne Leainig posted:

The Apple tax is real and I have - and will continue - to pay it begrudgingly

:agreed:

gloom posted:

The Apple premium is just what it costs to have a computer that doesn’t make you hate yourself. It’s more that Windows notebook manufacturers have made so many compromises / cut so many corners to get the price down (since that’s the only point they can compete on) that they’ve normalized accepting a lovely machine for less $$$

… I tell myself, having just paid for the 24 gb RAM option on this new MBA :(

And this is very true. Before we'd started dating, my wife had bought a basic HP laptop when she went back to school. Within a couple of years, it was completely falling apart and she had to plug a keyboard into it just to be able to type. I think we ended up e-wasting it within about 4-5 years that she had purchased it, but she'd stopped using it well before then. By comparison, my 2011 13" MBP is still going strong as an occasional DVD player/etc. for the kids; my 2014 15" rMBP is also still in use with the wife, when she's not sneaking off with the 14" M1 Max (that is probably the best laptop I've ever owned).

So yeah, pay the premium, get the specs you want, and it'll last forever.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's hard too because there are Windows laptops that are not pieces of poo poo. I've been very happy with my Omen 15 gaming laptop and it's going on about 2 years now. But it's also not a $200 Chromebook with every possible corner cut :shrug:

Apple's baseline for quality just tends to be a little bit higher than the rest, even if it does include stupid things like 8GB of RAM

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Canned Sunshine posted:

:agreed:

And this is very true. Before we'd started dating, my wife had bought a basic HP laptop when she went back to school. Within a couple of years, it was completely falling apart and she had to plug a keyboard into it just to be able to type. I think we ended up e-wasting it within about 4-5 years that she had purchased it, but she'd stopped using it well before then. By comparison, my 2011 13" MBP is still going strong as an occasional DVD player/etc. for the kids; my 2014 15" rMBP is also still in use with the wife, when she's not sneaking off with the 14" M1 Max (that is probably the best laptop I've ever owned).

So yeah, pay the premium, get the specs you want, and it'll last forever.

You conveniently skipped 2016 here. My wife's 2016 rMBP had its keyboard replaced twice and display once, because of the flickering. My own work 2018 had its keyboard replaced once, and when multiple keys stuck within months of the replacement I just gave up and only used it with an external keyboard.

My coworkers with newer i9 MacBook pros all had the batteries degrade *fast*. They were hot, loud messes with bad battery life by year 3.

All the 2013 and 2015 machines lasted forever, though.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 23, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The price is what the price is. There's no point in complaining about it. Dehumanize yourself and face to Tim Apple

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

B&H has the Space Grat M2 Air 16/512 for $1349 which is $150 off. 256gb config is $1149
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1710353-REG/apple_mbam2sg_05_13_6_macbook_air_m2.html

I think Best Buy had them on sale as well but they're sold out.

Apple is also doing a $175 Apple Gift card with purchase of an M2 Air. I'm waiting to see if that qualifies on the education purchases as well. If so then that's $1379 + $175 gift card which is not a bad deal.

This B&H model dropped further to $1299. Just picked one up for the wife.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's hard too because there are Windows laptops that are not pieces of poo poo. I've been very happy with my Omen 15 gaming laptop and it's going on about 2 years now. But it's also not a $200 Chromebook with every possible corner cut :shrug:

Apple's baseline for quality just tends to be a little bit higher than the rest, even if it does include stupid things like 8GB of RAM

It helps that Apple owns the software and hardware. It makes for a very cohesive product that can’t be matched with other laptops. More so now than ever with Apple silicon.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

You conveniently skipped 2016 here. My wife's 2016 rMBP had its keyboard replaced twice and display once, because of the flickering. My own work 2018 had its keyboard replaced once, and when multiple keys stuck within months of the replacement I just gave up and only used it with an external keyboard.

My coworkers with newer i9 MacBook pros all had the batteries degrade *fast*. They were hot, loud messes with bad battery life by year 3.

All the 2013 and 2015 machines lasted forever, though.

We don’t talk about 2016-2019

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Also I guess I wont mention my G4 iBook that failed for absolutely no discernible reason after 16 months, and was quoted $850cad to repair the logic board (which was no less likely to fail again and had a 60 day warranty) :smith:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Australian consumer law is so good for that. Apple gives you a new 3 year parts and labour warranty on any part replaced. My 2020 iMac's display is now covered until 2026.

And if the product goes vintage during that time and they can't repair it, they give you a refund on the now 6 year old Mac.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Honestly it used to be that the Mac laptops were a huge premium over their Intel laptop counterparts and was easy to compare hardware apple to apples. But the trackpad, build quality, MagSafe, and OS X were worth the premium.

I’m a bit ignorant but with apple silicon is that even true anymore? Is anything in the PC laptop space competitive with apple silicon that isn’t a gaming laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Escape Goat posted:

I’m a bit ignorant but with apple silicon is that even true anymore? Is anything in the PC laptop space competitive with apple silicon that isn’t a gaming laptop?

Yeah, AMD processors have mostly caught up but Macs still have a more powerful iGPU (that can only be used to play Death Stranding and Resident Evil).

Intel stuff is so far behind because they were years behind on process. AMD is on 5nm TSMC, but the rumor mill says that Intels next shrink is pretty troubled, it's so bad that they aren't even releasing it on desktop at all because their old stuff is faster as long as you shove tons of watts through it.

The problem is that decades of anti-competitive behavior from Intel and their partners at Dell, HP, Lenovo means that AMD laptops have gotten stuck with worse chassis for no good reason, and it's taking time for manufacturers to actually make high effort AMD machines.