Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m back from the movie. I really really liked it! I think it succeeded perfectly at what it wanted to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m back from the movie. I really really liked it! I think it succeeded perfectly at what it wanted to be

So would you say it’s better than Tri and DALEK then?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larryb posted:

So would you say it’s better than Tri and DALEK then?

Absolutely

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, so they are capable of making something Adventure related decent after all. Good to know

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
I liked it too! But it felt more like a standalone movie with the 02 cast kind of tacked on (they played off each other well in the scenes we did get, though). Don't take any kids to this one.

I never saw Last Evolution Kizuna because of covid cancelling the screening, but if I liked this and not Tri do you think that one is worth seeking out?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheThirst posted:

I liked it too! But it felt more like a standalone movie with the 02 cast kind of tacked on (they played off each other well in the scenes we did get, though). Don't take any kids to this one.

I never saw Last Evolution Kizuna because of covid cancelling the screening, but if I liked this and not Tri do you think that one is worth seeking out?

It’s ok at best

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 9, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheThirst posted:

Taken by itself, it’s an okay movie. It just really fucks up the worldbuilding and retreads the same themes as Tri

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheThirst posted:

I haven't seen the 02 movie so I can't really comment on that, but Kizuna is really good. You should probably check it out if you're interested.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Only caveat with Kizuna is you should seek out one of the fan translations if at all possible (Kizuna or LSubs). The official sub has issues and was unfortunately the basis for the dub as well.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

haypliss posted:

Only caveat with Kizuna is you should seek out one of the fan translations if at all possible (Kizuna or LSubs). The official sub has issues and was unfortunately the basis for the dub as well.

What are the issues?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

What are the issues?

This was the post I came across when poking around for more after watching it. The stuff directly related to Menoa in that breakdown seems most relevant, while there's other examples that are more...nitpicky, or the stuff like messing up restaurant names/references just seeming to reinforce the idea of it not being the best translation. Even in that comparison it's not like the fansubs are wholly masterful improvements, basically. They just better convey what felt to me like the intended takeaway from the film, at least enough so that I was able to get it even with official subs.

If you have one of the more negative interpretations of the film it may all seem dismissible though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

haypliss posted:

If you have one of the more negative interpretations of the film it may all seem dismissible though.

That was an interesting read, and the discussion on the connotations behind the way Japanese can talk about fate is actually very interesting. And I don't think it's just straight dismissable, but at the same time boy do I have a negative interpretation of this film! Honestly though I'm kind of sick of engaging with DA:LEK on the whole. It just frustrates me to engage with the film at all and that's never a good place to be.

Meanwhile, regarding the new movie (which I have yet to see, sadly) we got the DRB profile for the big Ukkomon from the film. It's officially called...

https://digimon.net/reference/detail.php?directory_name=bigukkomon

Big Ukkomon. K. I mean there's nothing untoward about the name, and from the summaries I've read it seems appropriate it should have a flat name like this, but it's still amusingly on the nose.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think we actually know the name from one of the 02 DiMs that was announced. It’s an unlockable evo from White and Red DiM.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I still haven’t gotten around to reading it yet but the entire Appmon manga has been translated now

Also I found something called Xros Wars Delete as well, is that part of the main manga or a spin-off of some kind?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Also I found something called Xros Wars Delete as well, is that part of the main manga or a spin-off of some kind?

It's just the normal Xros Wars manga, I'm not sure why it was uploaded with that name.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's just the normal Xros Wars manga, I'm not sure why it was uploaded with that name.

Good to know, thanks

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Remember cards? They’re still a thing!

quote:

Arukenimon BT16-072 C <03>
Ultimate | Virus | Dark Animal

<Blocker>
[On Play] Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Trash 2 purple cards among them. Return the rest to the bottom of the deck.
[On Deletion] From your trash, you may play 1 Tamer card with [Myotismon] in its text without the same name as one of your Tamers without paying the cost.

quote:

Mummymon BT16-073 C <03>
Ultimate | Virus | Undead

<Retaliation>
[On Play] <Draw 2> and trash 2 cards in your hand.
[On Deletion] From your trash, you may play 1 Tamer card with [Myotismon] in its text without the same name as one of your Tamers without paying the cost.

quote:

Arukenimon & Mummymon BT16-089 R <03>

[Your Turn] When [Arukenimon] or [Mummymon] would be played from your hand, by deleting this Tamer, reduce the play cost by 3.
[On Deletion] You may play 1 level 5 or lower Digimon card with [Myotismon] in its text from your trash without paying the cost. Delete that Digimon at the end of your opponent’s turn.
---
[Security] Play this card without paying the cost.

quote:

MaloMyotismon BT16-081 SR <03>
Mega | Virus | Demon Lord

[When Digivolving] [When Attacking] By deleting 1 of your Digimon or Tamers, delete 1 of your opponent's unsuspended Digimon. If this effect didn't delete one of your opponent's Digimon, delete 1 of your opponent's Tamers.
[All Turns] [Once per Turn] When one of your other Digimon or Tamers is deleted by an effect, trash the top card of your opponent's security stack.

Wonder why they have so many On Deletion Triggers haha…

The only other Tamer with Myotismon in its text is Yukio Oikawa, which gains you memory and lets you delete it to play a MaloMyotismon from the Trash

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s some new Digital Cops and they’re frankly a bit ridiculous

DigiPolice have been built up the last two sets but I’ll leave it to whoever’s interested in them to look them up by themselves. So far they seem like a solid synergistic and swarmy deck that has a lot of overlap with D-Brigade

This is what has been announced for BT16 so far.

quote:

Metropolitan Police Department, Community Safety Bureau, Cyber Crime Division, Investigation Unit 11, Digimon Crime Response Team BT16-096 R <03>
DigiPolice

[Main] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Add 1 card with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait among them to the hand. Return the rest to the top of the deck. Then, place this card into your battle area.
[Main] <Delay>
• Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. You may play 1 card with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait and a play cost of 4 or less among them without paying the cost. Trash the rest.
---
[Security] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Add 1 card with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait among them to the hand. Return the rest to the top of the deck. Then, place this card into your battle area.

quote:

Commandramon BT16-050 C <03>
Rookie | Virus | Cyborg/D-Brigade/DigiPolice

[All Turns] All of your other Digimon with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait get +1000 DP.
---
Inherited: [All Turns] All of your other Digimon with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait get +1000 DP.

quote:

Mekanorimon BT16-057 C <03>
Champion | Virus | Machine/DigiPolice

<Blocker> <Armor Purge>
[On Play] By placing 1 of your other Digimon with the [DigiPolice] trait as this Digimon's bottom digivolution card, <De-Digivolve 1> 1 of your opponent's Digimon.
[Your Turn] This Digimon with no digivolution cards can't attack.

I adore that it has Armor Purge because it’s being piloted by a Commandramon

quote:

Sealsdramon BT16-054 C <03>
Champion | Virus | Cyborg/D-Brigade/DigiPolice

[On Play] [When Digivolving] By returning 3 cards with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait from your trash to the top of the deck, this Digimon gains <Rush>, and can't be blocked for the turn.
---
Inherited: [All Turns] All of your other Digimon with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait get +1000 DP.

quote:

Tankdramon BT16-060 C <03>
Ultimate | Virus | Machine/D-Brigade/DigiPolice

[On Play] [When Digivolving] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. For each card with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait among them, reduce the play cost of all of your opponent's Digimon by 1 for the turn. Return the revealed cards to the top or bottom of the deck. Then, delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with a play cost of 4 or less.
---
Inherited: [All Turns] (Once Per Turn) When one of your other Digimon with the [D-Brigade] or [DigiPolice] trait is played, <De-Digivolve 1> 1 of your opponent's Digimon.

That play cost reduction effect is fairly significant. There’s a decent amount of play cost based removal in DigiPolice

quote:

Darkdramon BT16-065 R <03>
Mega | Virus | Cyborg/D-Brigade

When you would play this card, if there is a Digimon with the [Boss] trait, reduce the play cost by 6. By returning 6 cards with the [D-Brigade] trait from your trash to the top of the deck, reduce the play cost by 6.
[On Play] [When Digivolving] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with play cost less than or equal to the play cost of 1 of the cards among them. Trash the revealed cards.
[End of Your Turn] 2 of your Digmon may DNA digivolve into a [Chaosmon] in your hand.

Note that Darkdramon is D-Brigade but not DigiPolice, which fits it being far too wild for people to control.

BanchoLeomon hasn’t been announced yet but there’s been a MadLeomon card that can evolve into a Leomon card from the trash, so it’s pretty possible we’ll be getting one this set too.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I've been wanting a new Chaosmon for a while now, and a jogress Chaosmon (maybe in a Bancho deck) would rule. I was already kinda interested in BT16 for Silphymon and whatever they wind up doing with green outside of Imperial, but now I'm suddenly very excited for these reveals

quote:

Chaosmon BT16-036 SR <03>
Mega | Vaccine | Unique
[[DNA Digivolve] Yellow Lv.6 & Black Lv.6: Cost 0]

<Barrier> <Blocker> <Partition (Yellow Lv.6 & Black Lv.6)> (When this Digimon with 1 of each specified card in its digivolution cards would leave the battle area other than by one of your effects or in battle, you may play 1 of each card without paying their costs)
[When Digivolving] <De-Digivolve 3> 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, 1 of your opponent's Digimon gets -8000 DP for the turn.
[End of Opponent's Turn] Trash the top card of both players security stack.
[(Rule) Trait: Also has [Boss]/[D-Brigade].]

Here he is! Seems good. The security trash is interesting. Considering both Darkdramon and BanchoLeomon have on plays, partition is really threatening on this card. It also slots really naturally into HeavyLeomon, which is awesome. I really like this card

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 19, 2023

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The new Digimon movie had some real End of Evangelion energy at times. Had a really good time with it and was glad that I was able to watch it and mostly feeling like I knew enough from watching the original Adventure 02 series to not feel in the dark about who and what even though I haven't seen it since it originally aired on TV here. Definitely felt like it was more targeted at adults, especially considering the themes, some of the imagery, and the fact that almost every character in the movie was also an adult.

Had to really restrain myself from impulse buying booster packs when I walked past a games store on the way home, because I'm real jazzed about Digimon right now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On a whim I picked up a 20th Anniversary V-Pet (and an X cus it was eight quid) and I'm just kinda mellowed out by how much I'm enjoying the simplicity of it all.

This is probably going to lead to me getting into buying Digimon V-Pets as a hobby or something dumb.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 23, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Redezga posted:

The new Digimon movie had some real End of Evangelion energy at times. Had a really good time with it and was glad that I was able to watch it and mostly feeling like I knew enough from watching the original Adventure 02 series to not feel in the dark about who and what even though I haven't seen it since it originally aired on TV here. Definitely felt like it was more targeted at adults, especially considering the themes, some of the imagery, and the fact that almost every character in the movie was also an adult.

Had to really restrain myself from impulse buying booster packs when I walked past a games store on the way home, because I'm real jazzed about Digimon right now.

I have yet to see it, but I'm cautiously optomistic from responses.

Cautiously because you could use a lot of those descriptors to the previous 7 movies and I hated pretty much all of those, and you could apply this 1-to-1 to DA:LEK and I viciously hate that movie.

Card game is good though!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
We have the name and cover picture of the next set! It’s called Infernal Ascension and it’s about angels and demons.

I hope LovelyAngemon shows up

https://x.com/withthewill/status/1728117888228421747?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It seems as good a time as any to finally add HolyAngemon Priest Mode, PetitMamon and, may I dream, Demon Super Ultimate to the DRB and give them cards.

At the very least, I'd be unpleasantly surprised if Dominimon and Luxmon aren't in this set.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

It seems as good a time as any to finally add HolyAngemon Priest Mode, PetitMamon and, may I dream, Demon Super Ultimate to the DRB and give them cards.

At the very least, I'd be unpleasantly surprised if Dominimon and Luxmon aren't in this set.

I swear it was confirmed somewhere it was bringing us Dominimon this set, and Luxmon makes a ridiculous amount of sense.

Also, if there was ever at time to push out Arcadimon it would be now! I mean, do you need all those lower level Purple slots when you've confirmed you're printing new/cards for all 7 Great Demon Lords?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finished the remaining mangas:

Dreamers: Alright but it kind of stops just when it’s getting good (not sure if the author plans on coming back to it at some point though)

Xros Wars: Better than the anime in a lot of aspects (Zenjirou and Akari stick around longer, more than two Digimon get to evolve, Taiki is a little better developed and while Nene is still useless for the most part I do kind of like the sister she has here a bit more than the brother she had in the anime). They even tie it back into V-Tamer and Adventure a little which was kind of cool

Appmon: Ok but basically just a super abridged version of the anime with a couple minor changes here and there (the only major one I can think of is that Yujin isn’t an android in this version and has no connection to Leviathan).

Also the action panels are a bit too busy and hard to follow at times and they downplayed Eri a fair bit (which is a crime worthy of an explosive punch)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 25, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Finished the remaining mangas:

Dreamers: Alright but it kind of stops just when it’s getting good (not sure if the author plans on coming back to it at some point though)

It went into hiatus to upload the full manga into the official site and translate it to English and Chinese. The hiatus will be over soon, December 3rd, and I imagine we'll go back to monthly releases then.

It was a useful break for me too, gave me the chance to update Wikimon with as much information from it as possible. Only lacking chapter 21 now and then it'll be complete.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/wikimon_net/status/1734591098025054351?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

New Digimon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Two of the Digimon fan manga for the competition a bit ago are now translated! Bloom is absolutely excellent and 20 Years a Samurai is also a very nice read. They're pretty short too so they're very recommended! Hopefully the rest will be translated soon too.

https://twitter.com/fenrimon/status/1734803747002618008

Completely unrelated to that but I watched Digimon Adventure 02: The Beginning. I've been very clear about my stance on everything Adventure-related lately (they're bad, they're all bad. Tri is bad, LE is horrible, Adventure: is mediocre). I went in with no real expectations and it turns out...

...it's actually really good! The animation's excellent as expected after LE, but also the writing is genuinely very good, it hits all the right cues for an adult-oriented Digimon story while fleshing out the post-02 Adventure world where Digimon are commonplace even more. The 02 cast bounces effortlessly off each other and truly come across as an extremely tight-knit group of friends, the message it gives is heartwarming and a great criticism of how the franchise handles itself while also a celebration of it (unlike "you're too old gently caress off" from the last loving movie), and it opens a door to the most unique Digimon show or movie ever should they want to continue (which I find unlikely, but I'd kill for a Digimon movie or show where there are no Digivices and the focus isn't on fighting monsters at all). Lui's retcon isn't great, but Lui himself is an interesting and unique character for the franchise, in his personality, his backstory, and his very warped but ultimately extremely valuable relationship with Ukkomon. Also all the new remixes for the songs are used in just the right places and they're all excellent.

I just need this to come out for streaming or bluray so someone can make a video of all the evolution scenes because they're incredibly good. Unlike the Last Evolution ones, which were very stiff, the updated evolution scenes here make a point of being just as faithful to the originals as they must be, and instead go for new angles and far more dynamic posing, resulting in utterly beautiful stock footage (which gets used surprisingly repeatedly for such a short movie but never feels out of place).

After Tri and LE failed to update Digimon to an adult audience, with bad writing and terrible messages, The Beginning goes hard the opposite way with a mature view on how the franchise has been and should be, while also making it clear that it comes from a place of genuine love to the franchise. The 02 cast shine far more than the Adventure cast ever could (because they're allowed to be a cast instead of a more bland Taichi and Yamato + 6 unimportant others). Fair warning I guess, it has some really heavy topics that can be genuinely unpleasant to watch. Lui's backstory is heartbreaking.

I'd go into more detail but honestly just watch it. It has my recommendation, of a guy that hated everything Adventure-related and wanted it to end. Now I kind of want it to continue. What a change.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of manga, has Dreamers started up again yet?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Speaking of manga, has Dreamers started up again yet?

Yes, it came back ten days ago. Here's the link to Pulse-22, the latest chapter: https://digimon.net/digimondreamers/en/ep_022/.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is Seekers worth reading/does it have a decent translation that's not machine stiff?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also is Seekers still going and does it get better? I kind of lost interest early on

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's ending soon.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Also is Seekers still going and does it get better? I kind of lost interest early on

Still ongoing. It's going to finish at the end of March I believe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I may just wait until it's fully done and read it then. I did really like chapter 1 but the slow release schedule and awful machine translation made me stop reading it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The translation gets a lot better as it continues.

As for whether you should read it… it’s fine. It’s got some interesting ideas but tbh it’s mostly a rehash of a lot of ideas in Cyber Sleuth

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 15, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just read onkeikun's translation:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18M9mkxAUEAMlux0p9MZAem_eSVLN3Xxsz_gnNGXPDVQ/edit

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The fan translation stops most of the way through part 2. There’s a lot more story afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what? it's on part 3 right now.