Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
for the purposes of this thread, the highlights were skunk rear end in a top hat and alligator blowjob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

yea ok posted:

How was the show :mrgw:

Everything was great except for Max

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
MJF's title reign loving sucks and it's considerably worse than The Bloodline has ever been, because as melodramatic as that storyline has been, it's earnestly so. Self-aware, semi-ironic, winky nudgy melodrama is even worse

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Like usual, the matches were mostly good, but the promos went on a bit too long, except the one I liked, Toni Storm's, was of appropriate length.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

yea ok posted:

How was the show :mrgw:

Actually pretty good!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I'll probably watch RUSH vs Jay and Moxley vs Mark. The rest sounds really bad to my proclivities.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Christian's segment was really funny if you're into that stuff

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Tournament very good. Promos very very bad is my review

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That show was a pretty excellent case for why this "different kinds of ice cream", "wrestling is a variety show", "you gotta have something for everyone" approach sounds cute in theory but doesn't work in practice. You had three pretty good tournament matches with the crowd sitting on their hands for most of all of them, and in between you had these interminably long, goofy segments with MJF, Nick Wayne's mom, Timeless Toni Storm and Ruby Soho and Angelo Parker wanting to gently caress (and I kinda like the Ruby/Parker story, but it belongs on Rampage, not Dynamite). The show just felt extremely uneven and the crowd barely reacted to the actual wrestling parts of the show.

You can't just go from a completely different kind of show between segments and then try to cover it up with an analogy about ice cream. This is completely unsustainable.

yea ok posted:

I'll probably watch RUSH vs Jay and Moxley vs Mark. The rest sounds really bad to my proclivities.

Swerve vs. Jay Lethal was really good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's something that crowds can feel very WWE in markets in that they pop for interviews/segments but seem cold on wrestling. The fact it was Chicago which normally is a really good wrestling fan crowd for them is also a thing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's something that crowds can feel very WWE in markets in that they pop for interviews/segments but seem cold on wrestling. The fact it was Chicago which normally is a really good wrestling fan crowd for them is also a thing

Chicago barely reacting to Katsuyori Shibata hurt me deep in my soul.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

Chicago barely reacting to Katsuyori Shibata hurt me deep in my soul.

It sucks but that's also due to New Japan being ice cold in the US and it'll probably get worse with Will going to AEW

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

How many actual variety shows are on the air?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
this thread is where i found out dynamite was in chicago and i live here

edit: i wouldn't have went anyway. no punk no buys :colbert:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Shard posted:

Everything was great except for Mox

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They're cultivating a new crowd, one that would mostly rather be watching WWE

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

They're cultivating a new crowd, one that would mostly rather be watching WWE

Run off your wrestling fans with goofy grab-rear end storylines, charge insane amounts for tickets before caving and offering heavy discounts and BOGOs and wow-ee, lookit that.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

Run off your wrestling fans with goofy grab-rear end storylines, charge insane amounts for tickets before caving and offering heavy discounts and BOGOs and wow-ee, lookit that.

They're putting their money where their mouth is

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It sucks but that's also due to New Japan being ice cold in the US and it'll probably get worse with Will going to AEW

At this point Shibata is an ROH wrestler. It's coming up on a year since his last match in Japan (the Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye show at the end of the December 2022) & his last NJPW match in Japan was January 4th 2022. So I don't think you can blame no one caring about New Japan in the US for Shibata getting no reaction. But then Shibata is the antithesis of sports entertainment, extremely charismatic but in a way that's totally alien to modern US TV wrestling.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Tony should fire The Young Bucks and bring back CM Punk to win the crowds back and have a professional merch operation where you can buy a shirt of your favorite wrestler at the show

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Tony should fire The Young Bucks and bring back CM Punk to win the crowds back and have a professional merch operation where you can buy a shirt of your favorite wrestler at the show

he sold every ringer shirt in the country

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

The fall into this poo poo started before Punk decided to fight someone at a stadium show and got his dumb rear end fired, but if he wasn't such a baby maybe he would have been able to help.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The fall into this poo poo started before Punk decided to fight someone at a stadium show and got his dumb rear end fired, but if he wasn't such a baby maybe he would have been able to help.

Wish he was still around, Khan could really use somebody to knock a few more monitors on him nowadays.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Punk probably started to see the rot already setting in and asked his lawyers to get him out of his AEW contracts, but was told "we can't, not unless you do something that gets you fired for cause", and welp

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I definitely believe he was punching his way out of the company on purpose. I doubt it was for any principled wrestling reasons and more just because he had been exiled to Saturdays, MJF didn't wanna work him, the Elite didn't wanna work him and being a pariah in AEW was worse than just going back to WWE.

Which makes sense for him but sucks rear end for me. I could really, really use the Punk's Island of Misfit Toys era of Collision right about now and I have next to no interest in watching him feud with LA Knight.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

Wish he was still around, Khan could really use somebody to knock a few more monitors on him nowadays.

:emptyquote:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I do not know if this company can survive a 2+ month build to Dork Perry being the Devil lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bungle Boy Hack Perry

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

A beautiful vision of heaven

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Honestly everything went to poo poo when they got rid of the tunnels.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

blunt posted:

Honestly everything went to poo poo when they got rid of the Runnels.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

blunt posted:

Honestly everything went to poo poo when they got rid of the STRONGHEARTS.

But we got GLEAT out of it so it's not all bad

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Adam Cole has done more long term damage to this promotion than CM Punk

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

We gotta bury Adam Cole where we keep all the radioactive waste.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

OctoberCountry posted:

:yeah:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Always badam cole???

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

OctoberCountry posted:

It brings me no pleasure to confirm this

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

those 1st two fed castoffs set the course, Adam Cole and Danielson must die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm gonna injeeect... a lethal dose... of skits!