Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
https://twitter.com/ArtistNcs/status/1716849169682386998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

This is an incomprehensible social media in-joke.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

well why not posted:

Godzilla loving up the MUTO via atomic kiss of death is iconic

This and the airport scene as the lights turn on is legit top 10 cinematic kaiju moments.

Dare I say one of the top 25-50 movies in general.... jk there's infinite possibilities for a list like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hycPSVK7YYk

E: I always forget how many people die during that first scene - jesus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hawaii looking an awful lot like Vancouver is fine when you get a Godzilla slasher grin

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Gareth Edwards' talent for awe-inspiring, maximum dramatic impact shot design is out of this world. Goddamn he's good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Great stuff through three episodes!

A line that killed me, just pause the episode for 5 minutes laughing killed me, was at the start of e3.

A US army officer in 1954 said, in all seriousness, "Better we face them over there than over here." About something happening in SE Asia. And was right. That's a deep cut into utter darkness. Whoever wrote that knew exactly what they were referencing, and the implications.

There's a lot of good stuff in these scripts (Cate sacrificing her phone to escape a kidnapper), some very smart writing that considers how things would really play out. That's just the one where I had to pause the episode because :drat:

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 23, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

well why not posted:

Godzilla loving up the MUTO via atomic kiss of death is iconic

Vintersorg posted:

This and the airport scene as the lights turn on is legit top 10 cinematic kaiju moments.

Dare I say one of the top 25-50 movies in general.... jk there's infinite possibilities for a list like that.

All of this stuff. Also I want to mention this scene, which just gives me chills every time I see it. It’s that bit of suspenseful music at the beginning, and the way the tail whips across the screen through the mist, followed by him emerging into view.

I still say this movie does a better job than any others at getting across his sheer size, and how minuscule the people are compared to His Highness.

Just the way the tail moves through the mist gives the impression of how gigantic he is… the wind it generates.

https://youtu.be/NmCPEWzjl-8?si=SqsirdSpA80wNJRb

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mantis42 posted:

Godzilla is the best superhero

Like all superheroes, a good friend of the construction industry

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Like all superheroes, a good friend of the construction industry

Are you telling me big G has mafia ties??

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/sumoguri2323/status/1727626043933213155

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This ain't kaiju precisely, but Ishiro Honda's Latitude Zero loving whips.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just for the sake of covering all the bases, I find the Monarch show to be really really really bad, and am not finishing that. It's just the worst, none of the characters are interesting, the way they're written is boring, the young Kurt Russell played by his kid is not very interesting, etc. All this focusing on the trauma and people affected by kaiju crisises is just why, especially in this cookie cutter US TV tone, it's not exactly a 90s anime like Eva. It's more like CW.

Anyways just so some lurker who also didn't like it can read the post, and say hey, I'm not alone on this one.

I was hoping for Kurt Russell wanders around and muses about the mystery and wonder of Godzilla etc. I like how the movies evolved into more of a fun thing as well. And anyways all this family stuff and baggage and the way it's done, and just the tone and dialogue, it's just so not my thing.

Very pumped for the new movie though, got our tickets for next week yessir. While that looks traumatic for sure a la the original classic, which I do love for sure, it looks very classy.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 24, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m honestly sorry that you or any other G-Fan feels this way, but different strokes for different folks, and all.

I’ve finished the last two episodes and I’m really enjoying it. Hoping for a lot more kaiju action in the last six episodes.

One has to wonder what kind of budget the show has, wonder if it can really pull that off, but from what I’ve read Apple and Legendary really opened the pocketbooks for effects and personnel.

I know the show is mostly going to be a people story with occasional appearances by giant beasts, and I think if done right that can work pretty well. I’m optimistic for the rest of the season and I’m really glad we have a show like this to watch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heavy Metal posted:

Just for the sake of covering all the bases, I find the Monarch show to be really really really bad, and am not finishing that. It's just the worst, none of the characters are interesting, the way they're written is boring, the young Kurt Russell played by his kid is not very interesting, etc. All this focusing on the trauma and people affected by kaiju crisises is just why, especially in this cookie cutter US TV tone, it's not exactly a 90s anime like Eva. It's more like CW.

Anyways just so some lurker who also didn't like it can read the post, and say hey, I'm not alone on this one.

I was hoping for Kurt Russell wanders around and muses about the mystery and wonder of Godzilla etc. I like how the movies evolved into more of a fun thing as well. And anyways all this family stuff and baggage and the way it's done, and just the tone and dialogue, it's just so not my thing.

Very pumped for the new movie though, got our tickets for next week yessir. While that looks traumatic for sure a la the original classic, which I do love for sure, it looks very classy.

I really like the scenes set in the 1950s with the characters just starting to discover the titans and establish Monarch but yeah, I'm not jiving with the scenes set in the 2010s (which is most of the show) where Monarch are the villains. Most of it is at least bearable for me but the dialogue is terrible.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

how hard is it to just make big budget ultra q?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
https://twitter.com/context1954/status/1728482598618636746

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Super cool, but why does he have an extra pair of small hands coming from his neck?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Super cool, but why does he have an extra pair of small hands coming from his neck?

Weird hosed up mutant Godzilla

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Schwarzwald posted:

Are you telling me big G has mafia ties??

Big G and Big Concrete have been seen in the same room, that's all i'm saying.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Big G and Big Concrete have been seen in the same room, that's all i'm saying.

Must have been a big room!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gotta agree with Heavy Metal - the show is a bit of a boring mess. The 50s stuff is interesting but that’s about it. 2014 and Kong are looking like a fluke.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Yep, unfortunately, Godzilla Show is real dire stuff despite having all the right components. It's just completely acinematic, to the point that you suspect the people behind it have never seen a kaiju film. Hope you like banal scenes of people delivering exposition to eachother.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yep, unfortunately, Godzilla Show is real dire stuff despite having all the right components. It's just completely acinematic, to the point that you suspect the people behind it have never seen a kaiju film. Hope you like banal scenes of people delivering exposition to eachother.

I'd rather that than 10 people running around 2 timelines in love triangles while monsters fight in the background.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There are still like six episodes left. Let’s not count our Mothras before they’ve hatched.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I found the first two episodes fairly dull, and I don't think there's a single likeable character yet other than the mom, but I also don't feel like the show is actively bad either.

I might just wait for it to be all or mostly done and binge it rather than hitting it week to week.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Shaw is somewhat likeable and hard to pin down on what his deal is. The Russell charisma is doing the heavy lifting.

Randa (the photographer) is a zero. Just totally forgettable.

Miura (the scientist) is very tropey. The idea of a lady Japanese scientist in the 50s working for the government is really interesting and it sucks they used it to do a bunch of stock "girl power" poo poo. The actress is fine but she's given even less to work with than Shaw.

The modern kids are sketched really thin. Olowe-Hewitt (the hacker) is probably the most interesting of them. The dual family thing is not as interesting as the show seems to think it is.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 28, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What's really odd is that the series fully expects you to have seen at least the first two monster movies (and certainly makes little sense if you haven't), but then there's zero intrigue as to how the Monarch organization got started, because that's already in the films.

The two-minute-long opening credits of Godzilla 2014 contain vastly more information about the organization's backstory, including a far more elaborate process of tracking Godzilla and setting off multiple bombs at Bikini Atoll. Edwards even includes acknowledgement of the islanders who ended up permanently displaced by the tests.

Worse: though it goes by quickly, the opening credits of Godzilla 2014 state that the Monarch program was developed by the CIA in 1951, to investigate the destruction of various ships and submarines by possible giant monsters. Monarch's investigation uncovers attacks dating back to at least the sinking of the USS Maine in 1898. So, after Godzilla is filmed near Micronesia, Monarch's deputy director advises that the monster be killed. Under this advice, President Truman declares Godzilla a direct threat to the US military, and signs an executive order authorizing the Bikini nuclear bombings in what is secretly codenamed Operation MUTO.

That's not at all what happens in the show.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 28, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Very positive review on the new Godzilla movie

https://www.avclub.com/godzilla-minus-one-review-the-monster-roars-louder-tha-1851043171

Written and directed by Takashi Yamazaki, Godzilla Minus One is simultaneously classical and experimental. Set between the tail-end and immediate aftermath of World War II, the film finds common threads between the past and present, harnessing Godzilla’s allegorical might for a story about survivor guilt, COVID-era political disillusionment, and, ultimately, human triumph. It’s also the rare Godzilla film where the humans are as compelling as its star.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I hope it hangs around a bit in theaters, I'm not going to be able to check it out for a few weeks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Same, it's arriving in my locale on the 1st and I'm really hoping it'll stick around longer than a week.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got invited to a screening on Thursday night. Can I get a Hell Yeah?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
FWIW it looks like all the cinema chains here in Australia are only showing it Dec 1 -6, it won't even last a week here

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m seeing it tonight :smuggo:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Same. :3:

Looks completely sold out - proud of my city. Next few days it's at capacity too. Incredible.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm going to try and see it Saturday at the theater I can order food and beer at because I doubt it'll be shown very long. Pretty excited for a new big G movie.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got invited to a screening on Thursday night. Can I get a Hell Yeah?

:hellyeah:

Going to see it at 5pm at the bigass IMAX at the Metreon. It's been an incredibly lovely month and a half so I really am looking forward to seeing some friends tonight and watching a horror Godzilla movie.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:hellyeah:

Going to see it at 5pm at the bigass IMAX at the Metreon. It's been an incredibly lovely month and a half so I really am looking forward to seeing some friends tonight and watching a horror Godzilla movie.

Nice! This week has been loving awful so far, but at least me and my partner know this:

Friday night we'll be back home, away from family and watching Minus One in 4DX. Going to be fun as hell!

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Saw it. I loved it, what an emotional movie.

If you can, seriously, see it in a theater.

What happens when Godzilla does the first fire blast, it's something to be experienced in a theater.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just saw it in a Dolby Cinema. Try to find it in a large format screen.

Overall Very good. Agreed with that review above that the human story is compelling. The score was also excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Folks who watched it: is it not for kids at all? My guy is a young preteen and watches all sorts of 80s PG/PG13 stuff (Ghostbusters, etc -- some swears, some scary stuff) and we watch Godzilla movies together, but I don't know if I should bring him and I haven't seen too much about gore, etc. (He was a bit bored with Edwards Godzilla and I don't think we will watch Shin for a few years, for reference).