Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's the German tradition, to open presents after dinner on Christmas Eve, definitely has its potential merits especially if you don't want the kids bounding out of bed as early as possible in the morning.

"The children are experiencing too much joy, we must force them to wait!" is the most German thing I have ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

sweet geek swag posted:

"The children are experiencing too much joy, we must force them to wait!" is the most German thing I have ever heard.

Except in Germany we open presents earlier, on the 24th after eating a kickass meal and then we get crunk and party all night. On the 25th we sleep.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Making a wish on page 1111

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
opening my fauci ornament and flying into a rage where I suplex the christmas tree

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Except in Germany we open presents earlier, on the 24th after eating a kickass meal and then we get crunk and party all night. On the 25th we sleep.

That's how my dad's side of the family, which is of German extraction does it, except we're descended from lame religious refugee Germans, so alcohol was not a thing in our family. Then we open the presents from my mom's side of the family, which is from Canada/England, the next day.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I hated Thanksgiving growing up because the food is boring and there's way too much of it so leftovers last forever. But also because my mom would run herself ragged making it and be horrendously grouchy all day. If I tried to help, I'd get yelled at for doing stuff wrong or getting underfoot.

Then I moved out so none of that poo poo is my problem, and Dad convinced her to scale back in any case. I like Thanksgiving more now, but that doesn't stop me calling it "indigenous subjugation day" irl.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
watching Bel Biv DeVoe rapping with the Ninja Turtles; wondering what year it is

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
We did the German thing, used to do another round in the morning from Santa until we all knew then it was just all in one go

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

When I was in Rothenburg for Weihnacht the son of the boutique hotel owner I was staying at was working the kitchen all day and made a massive meal for all of us and it was very Germanly implied (that is, mandatory) that every guest be there and it was a blast. Everyone sharing tables and swapping stories, and the traditional roast duck main course was sublime. I shared a table with an argentine couple that didn't read anything beforehand and had no clue what was going on but were happy to be there. Eating from kitchens where the chef is some young goober with something to prove rules lol

Then on Christmas day you get döner because it's literally the only place open

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

TheSwizzler posted:

opening my fauci ornament and flying into a rage where I suplex the christmas tree

the krampus will punish those who open biden this christmas

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I hated Thanksgiving growing up because the food is boring and there's way too much of it so leftovers last forever. But also because my mom would run herself ragged making it and be horrendously grouchy all day. If I tried to help, I'd get yelled at for doing stuff wrong or getting underfoot.

Then I moved out so none of that poo poo is my problem, and Dad convinced her to scale back in any case. I like Thanksgiving more now, but that doesn't stop me calling it "indigenous subjugation day" irl.

My mom always took two days to get the meal together and had it all well planned and organized, so it was never chaos, but eventually her health hit a point where she couldn't really handle it so my sister took over, and it turned very suddenly into a complete stress-meltdown shitshow. She would have a million timers going on her phone at all times, and get super frustrated that we couldn't immediately identify what they were all for.

After the third year like that someone else took over hosting

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fortaleza posted:

When I was in Rothenburg for Weihnacht the son of the boutique hotel owner I was staying at was working the kitchen all day and made a massive meal for all of us and it was very Germanly implied (that is, mandatory) that every guest be there and it was a blast. Everyone sharing tables and swapping stories, and the traditional roast duck main course was sublime. I shared a table with an argentine couple that didn't read anything beforehand and had no clue what was going on but were happy to be there. Eating from kitchens where the chef is some young goober with something to prove rules lol

Then on Christmas day you get döner because it's literally the only place open

That sounds dope. Döner kicks rear end too

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

My mom always took two days to get the meal together and had it all well planned and organized, so it was never chaos, but eventually her health hit a point where she couldn't really handle it so my sister took over, and it turned very suddenly into a complete stress-meltdown shitshow. She would have a million timers going on her phone at all times, and get super frustrated that we couldn't immediately identify what they were all for.

After the third year like that someone else took over hosting

My whole family has ADHD lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That sounds dope. Döner kicks rear end too

When I was a younger man studying in southern Germany one of the local döner place's window slogan was "ULTIMATIVE TASTE" in english with gigantic letters, as if they were challenging you to eat anything else afterwards lol

It really was the best in town though that was a legit challenge

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
thanksgiving when my mom would get together with all her sisters was great cause they were just drunk happy screaming french ladies and they all knew how to cook very well and then thanksgiving when i got older was also great because my friends also know how to cook even better

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

thanksgiving when my mom would get together with all her sisters was great cause they were just drunk happy screaming french ladies and they all knew how to cook very well and then thanksgiving when i got older was also great because my friends also know how to cook even better

exactly as it should be done imo.

i hope all goons who celebrate are having a day full of good company, good times, and good food, whatever it is or wherever they are.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Sounds nice, all our thanksgiving food sucked poo poo growing up lol. My grandmother grew up in a one room shack with her parents and 7 siblings during the dust bowl in Oklahoma and learned plenty of useful things for that life but cooking was not one of 'em. She's kept a photo of the shack above her dining table for nostalgia but the rest of us use it as a reminder of how bad it can get and that we can never let it happen again, so when you choke down that casserole of canned string beans and heinz mayo that expired but it's ok because she scraped away the mold and added some water to make it last longer what're you going to do? Complain? Lucky to be here at all you little poo poo (cussing in her house is strictly forbidden, so we'd say "punk", or "turd" if you're one of the ones that can get away with it)

God bless whomever invented canned cranberry sauce

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That woman is carved out of hickory. She turns 96 this week and already paid for her own funeral arrangements back in the late 80s, when she finally goes we're all going to stand by her grave and think "sheesh, finally" and her eternal spirit will be floating right next to us nodding in agreement

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I like to eat mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. :)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

hell yeah, it’s really good if done right

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Stuffing..... The king of Thanksgiving foods....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr Hootington posted:

I like to eat at thanksgiving

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
For our thanksgiving this year, in October like God intended ya filthy yanks, I did up some Wagyu striploins, duck fat roasted potatoes, and roasted brussel sprouts tossed with balsamic and 4 year old cheddar.

But last year, I dry brined a turkey for 4 days, then smoked it for 8 hours.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i am working on thanksgiving ops...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bunnyofdoom posted:

For our thanksgiving this year, in October like God intended ya filthy yanks, I did up some Wagyu striploins, duck fat roasted potatoes, and roasted brussel sprouts tossed with balsamic and 4 year old cheddar.

But last year, I dry brined a turkey for 4 days, then smoked it for 8 hours.

Just reading that seems stressful, but I do like having the turkey soak in a salt water brine overnight before rubbing sage butter under the skin.

I made some pies this year, too. (A raspberry pie and a pumpkin pie.)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

NoiseAnnoys posted:

flannel pjs are pretty great, ngl

i miss when my mom would give me new jammies every year. you really learn to appreciate comfy pjs in your late 30s

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

entire forum probed for a week due to posting on thanksgiving

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

entire forum probed for a week due to posting on thanksgiving
hey, some of us have excuses! I canceled my thanksgiving plans because mom's in the hospital and I'd rather help lessen her boredom there while she's immobile after spine surgery than go to a gathering

we can have thanksgiving some other time, having celebrations on the given day is nice but honestly I'm fine with delaying it to later in situations like this

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm Canadian. I didn't post on our objectively superior thanksgiving.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My parents had to cancel their visit at the last minute so I'm watching football alone. It's quite nice actually.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Is that like Home Alone

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
brother's m-i-l is here from France to Thanksgiving it up for the first time

the turkey is cooking too quickly but cest la vie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

spatchcock

spatchcock spatchcock spatchcock

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Abe Simpson voice: Spaaaaatchcooooooock!

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it :3:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Crescent Wrench posted:

Pajamas. Every loving year.

This is what we did and still do. And it's incredibly win. New PJs to keep you snuggly warm on a cold Christmas night ftmfw

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

DaysBefore posted:

This is what we did and still do. And it's incredibly win. New PJs to keep you snuggly warm on a cold Christmas night ftmfw

I wash stuff before I wear it usually :qq:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Me and Ohtori about to clear the air with a press conference

https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

thanksgiving fun with the saw gang :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What games should I buy in the steam sale. DOS2 is an obvious choice since I enjoyed BG3. I already own Yakuza 0.