Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kelly is going to discover some kind of alien life on Mars with a high concentration of some life reversal woo particle and Ed’s going to put it in his butt and he’s going to be alive forever.

It's taken Danny Stevens as it's avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

i just realised, repair guy is called Miles

And he must suffer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kelly is going to discover some kind of alien life on Mars with a high concentration of some life reversal woo particle and Ed’s going to put it in his butt and he’s going to be alive forever.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

It's taken Danny Stevens as it's avatar.

You're saying that Danny gets put in Ed's butt?

I'll allow it, though I'm concerned what Karen will think as she looks down at them from Heaven.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'll allow it, though I'm concerned what Karen will think as she looks down at them from Heaven.

"We both got to have him, it makes our relationship even closer"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Open Source Idiom posted:

You're saying that Danny gets put in Ed's butt?

*Up from Hell

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
When Dev was on his firing spree, he let the whole finance department go, something slightly important for a big company. Is he going to drive the company into the ground, forcing Kelly to do what her mom did?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

God willing we will not be made to care or even think about Helios' org chart for the rest of the season.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wheeljack posted:

When Dev was on his firing spree, he let the whole finance department go, something slightly important for a big company. Is he going to drive the company into the ground, forcing Kelly to do what her mom did?

Surely Big Love acting impulsively after being called a fascist and a boring old man won't lead to some kind of space disaster where Kelly is in danger, forcing absolutely stoned out of their gourds Ed and Svetlana to save her. Surely.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Some thoughts & prayers:

- Dev's coup mirrors the Soviet one, including Helios' Gorbachev stepping down and not choosing to fight till the end.

- Aleida is going to Mars and so is probably Margo. A reunion between them is just too juicy for the writers to pass up and there is no other way to make it happen except on Mars. Chekhov's PTSD is gonna come into play somehow when Aleida sees her again. Margo will advise on the Soviet asteroid capture project.

- Dev doing the Ol' Musky maneuver at Helios is gonna bite everyone in the rear end. I think Kelly, Aleida and Margo all made a deal with a devil and are going to regret it. Kelly doesn't have a controlling majority of stocks without Dev. She can't get rid of him.

- Helios and the Soviets are each going to go for their own asteroid capture projects and gently caress each other up. The season will end with Martians having developed their own common identity and being tired of fighting Earth's conflicts and having successfully negotiated their independence. They will be in a position to become extremely wealthy and financially independent from earth through the asteroid mining project.

- The Martian life that Kelly/Aleida find will cause a revolution in bioscience and some Martian research based on its biochemistry will produce a youth serum. Ed will be healed and makes it to S6 and the movie.

Also, why did Bill have such a large share of Helios? IIRC he was just a regular employee? Did I forget something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dev told everyone the pee pants story and gave Bill lots of shares to not sue.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Didn’t bill have shares cause stock options or something? Flight director or whatever he was, would probably give some good options?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
He got poached from NASA, right? I'm guessing he asked for and was given a lot of stock as part of the deal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He wanted to feel appreciated, and "it's a lot of money" or something to that effect in early season 3.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
The coup, failed or succeeded? i'm guessing it's more soviet now, right? i think i tuned out at some point when Margo got potato sacked.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
in Season 3 I was making predictions while discussing the show with some friends and came up with the absolute stupidest thing I could think of as a joke, and then it turned out there actually was a guy crammed into the North Korean space probe, so I am trying to tap into the oracular powers again and imagine the stupidest thing they could possibly do

I am going to predict that Margo ends the season in charge of Roscosmos

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
the plucky underdog shareholder revolt subplot sucks so bad god drat

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Just kill off not-elon please. I will forgive a lot of sins to see him blow up

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

tokin opposition posted:

Just kill off not-elon please. I will forgive a lot of sins to see him blow up

He should implode in a submersible as is proper custom :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I want this show to be about a strike on Mars but it's not going to be. :(

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mcmagic posted:

I want this show to be about a strike on Mars but it's not going to be. :(

I think it might still be, eventually? Just gonna have to sit through a bunch of Dev to get there, and it might end up feeling a little silly unless they do a better job showing the scale of the exploited labor class first instead of it being these fours guys who bunk together, and the additional five-ish people they see in the bar.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Does this show think viewers are actually rooting for the fake Elon?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
the show thought people wanted to see Karen x Danny followed by Pills x Danny so anything's possible

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Isnt that just ron moore doubling down on the negative feedback from season 2 incest plotline? The fact that we have had zero Danny so far would indicate someone was able to better filter his inhibitions now

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mcmagic posted:

I just want Aleida to go to space, just once.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I just want Aleida to go to space, just once.

Didn't she go to the moon (offscreen) to work on nuclear engines or...did I make that up entirely.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
She went to the moon in season 3 as part something regarding the engines for NASA's Mars mission, yeah

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Danny hasn't been in this season so far because they're working on his all-Danny spinoff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A fist full of Dannys in the newly invented holographic entertainment chamber.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Again the usual caveat about giving these writers any benefit of the doubt, but: It would seem like Kelly is gearing up to pull some kind of Ed here to make her own Mars life hunter-seeker robots with blackjack and hookers and gently caress YOU NASA, and Aleida is aggressively pushing her traumas into the back of her head so it'd make perfect sense that they'd team up with Big Love to create this season's massive space disaster movie story-line.

Or Ed's Parkinson's will, or the two will converge somehow, etc., but it'd be super-dramatic either way!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Kelly leaving NASA was weird, her project was delayed because funding for all space projects was in danger of being canceled. Instead of accepting that she decided that potential alien life should be in the hands of a private corporation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

xerxus posted:

Isnt that just ron moore doubling down on the negative feedback from season 2 incest plotline? The fact that we have had zero Danny so far would indicate someone was able to better filter his inhibitions now

They must have distracted him with “hey let’s have Margo get interrogated in the middle of a Soviet coup!” knowing he can’t possibly pass up the opportunity to see women characters helplessly brutalized :v:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nichael posted:

Danny hasn't been in this season so far because they're working on his all-Danny spinoff.

You joke, but the creators of talented (haha) could have a lot of material to work with for spinoffs by diving into separate storylines that happen between the time jumps between seasons.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They must have distracted him with “hey let’s have Margo get interrogated in the middle of a Soviet coup!” knowing he can’t possibly pass up the opportunity to see women characters helplessly brutalized :v:

This is a fair point and it's kinda weird how it keeps happening and how little agency the ladies have had as the show goes on

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

vuk83 posted:

Didn’t bill have shares cause stock options or something? Flight director or whatever he was, would probably give some good options?

Yeah, but I think Helios was already one of the largest companies on the planet by then, providing fuel for a substantial chunk of humanity's energy needs. How does a flight director with a compensation package in the range of a couple $100k comes to own a significant share of a multi trillion dollar company?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TraderStav posted:

You joke, but the creators of talented (haha) could have a lot of material to work with for spinoffs by diving into separate storylines that happen between the time jumps between seasons.

Danny, an immortal being, who has uncomfortable and ultimately very boring affairs with spouses of major figures through history.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, but I think Helios was already one of the largest companies on the planet by then, providing fuel for a substantial chunk of humanity's energy needs. How does a flight director with a compensation package in the range of a couple $100k comes to own a significant share of a multi trillion dollar company?

We didn't see it because of the time skip, but during the last decade he blackmailed and hosed over a number of C-level execs and stolen their shares

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thoughts

- It's a choice to give the coup leader a Ukrainian name if I understand correctly

- The black market storyline is better than "HVAC repairman guy starts a union" which we were expecting

- What is with the terrible dialogue writing on this show all of a sudden. I hate when people do that thing where a line of dialogue contains a list of things and they deliver it in a staccato, bulleted-subclauses way that no human being does, like: "They said the attack threatens our values. Our freedoms. Our very way of life." People don't do that in actual human speech, they don't talk in punctuated sentences. Also the other rig guy on the way down to the planet last episode was like "I can see Sojourner out there in the distance". WTF, you couldn't think of a better or more realistic way to word that? Even so, the actor couldn't come up with a more natural way to deliver it?

- I liked that "the Russian way" is to treat everything as an opportunity for profit and exploitation, and this is the timeline where the USSR never ended. Nothing is free

- Whatever writer keeps putting "step foot" into scripts needs to get an egg to the back of the head. Jesus christ

- gently caress you show if you are trying to make us treat the analogue of the Twitter takeover as a good thing. Obviously the ominous look that Aleida and Karen share means we're supposed to not like the direction all this is going but I don't quite trust the show to make Dev end the season screaming noiselessly into the void of space

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 27, 2023

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
First two seasons were so good. Then 3rd was considerably worse but watchable due to momentum. This season is terrible. The quality of the acting, dialogue, script, storylines, directing, everything is totally on par with soap opera stuff like This is Us or whatever. There are so many interesting ways the show could have gone, so many fascinating intersections of politics and sci fi, could have been something in between our timeline and something 300 yrs in the future like The Expanse, but no, absolute garbage. The budget seems WAY smaller, a lot more tight shots of indoor corridors. Less cgi. Yuck, what an embarrassing piece of art. Also i was kind of able to ignore the stupid masturbatory neoliberal politics of the show because it was interesting, now it's hard to swallow. Even Ed's makeup looks terrible. Boring rear end show

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That's really not fair. It's not absolute garbage, it's just somewhat garbage. If you take this show as a reference point for absolute garbage then what does that make something like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo? This show is not as good or bad as Honey Boo Boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This show is still better than most shows on tv.