Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

OctoberCountry posted:

Adam Cole has done more long term damage to this promotion than CM Punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm gonna injeeect... a lethal dose... of skits!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The first matches of the Continental Classic were pretty good but why the hell aren't they doing time-calls. You can get the crowd really into matches and thereby invested in the tournament if you start teasing the draws from the start. Crowd will be hella deflated if they just ring the bell at 20 minutes for the draw. And if they start doing time-calls all of a sudden I'll have to assume that match'll be going to a draw since they didn't do time-calls in these first three matches.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm gonna injeeect... a lethal dose... of skits!

I guess technically it's all Danielson's fault

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

apophenium posted:

The first matches of the Continental Classic were pretty good but why the hell aren't they doing time-calls. You can get the crowd really into matches and thereby invested in the tournament if you start teasing the draws from the start. Crowd will be hella deflated if they just ring the bell at 20 minutes for the draw. And if they start doing time-calls all of a sudden I'll have to assume that match'll be going to a draw since they didn't do time-calls in these first three matches.

Because then you'd have to hear Justin Roberts every 5 minutes, & then multiple times in the last 5, & who really wants that?

(It's dumb that American promotions never do this. Even ROH in the days where Punk & Joe were going for an hour long draw. You'd think Tony would get it but apparently not)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In retrospect, the fact that he got a real feud out of Adam Cole with two great matches and almost no melodramatic bullshit is probably the most significant argument you can make that Hangman Page is the greatest AEW World Champion of all time.

apophenium posted:

I wanted AEW to do time calls in every match from the start and it's so annoying that they don't. If you don't do time calls, draws just come out of nowhere and feel deflating, like you said. If you do time calls, you'll build a sense of anticipation to it. It's so simple.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I don't want to hear another bad word about Hangman being world champ when it's a loving miracle his Adam Cole feud wasn't complete death.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I don't want to hear another bad word about Hangman being world champ when it's a loving miracle his Adam Cole feud wasn't complete death.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've always thought he had the best in-ring reign and at this point it's extremely difficult to argue he didn't have the best business reign. Moxley's promos in 2020 were better, but that's a pretty loving high bar.

Around Revolution, I thought MJF was on track to pass both Hangman and 2020 Moxley but then everything after Revolution happened.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

It was complete death

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The MJF thing is so frustrating because you know that he’s better than this. Everything before teaming with Cole (up to and including their very very good first match) was gold. This should be beneath him.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It was complete death

Nah, but not from lack of Adam Cole trying to kill it

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NienNunb posted:

The MJF thing is so frustrating because you know that he’s better than this. Everything before teaming with Cole (up to and including their very very good first match) was gold. This should be beneath him.

We have to accept that this is what he actually wants to do, firmly planting him as not better than this

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ll start: there’s too many drat belts
Whoa now, there are only 24 champions, plus all the wrestlers holding other titles, like the AAA Cruiserweight Champion, Strong Openweight Champion, and IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion

AEW World Champion
AEW Women's World Champion
AEW International Champion
TBS Champion
TNT Champion
AEW World Tag Team Champions
AEW World Trios Champion

Dynamite Diamond Ring Winner
Men's Owen Hart Cup Tournament Champion
Women's Owen Hart Cup Tournament Champion
AEW Continental Classic Tournament Champion
FTW Champion

ROH World Champion
ROH Women's World Champion
ROH Pure Champion
ROH World Television Champion
ROH World Tag Team Champion
ROH World Six-man Champion

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Whoa now, there are only 24 champions, plus all the wrestlers holding other titles, like the AAA Cruiserweight Champion, Strong Openweight Champion, and IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion

AEW World Champion
AEW Women's World Champion
AEW International Champion
TBS Champion
TNT Champion
AEW World Tag Team Champions
AEW World Trios Champion

Dynamite Diamond Ring Winner
Men's Owen Hart Cup Tournament Champion
Women's Owen Hart Cup Tournament Champion
AEW Continental Classic Tournament Champion
FTW Champion

ROH World Champion
ROH Women's World Champion
ROH Pure Champion
ROH World Television Champion
ROH World Tag Team Champion
ROH World Six-man Champion

:eyepop:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Suplex Liberace posted:

those 1st two fed castoffs set the course, Adam Cole and Danielson must die

Good news, at the rate Danielson's going he'll probably be reduced to his constituent atoms by the middle of next year.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Good news, at the rate Danielson's going he'll probably be reduced to his constituent atoms by the middle of next year.

not fast enough to save the company

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

See I like the titles thing because a lot of them are from another organization and that makes it feel like AEW is connected to a wider wrestling world

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

He’s better than this and you know it

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Buying ROH is one of the worst things that happened to AEW.

I had zero attachment to the brand and wouldn’t have cared if WWE bought it and I don’t care about all its dumb belts or that it’s crawling along with all the dark jobbers that Tony keeps renewing because they’re friends with the right people

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if they did time calls everyone would see that the match is probably going to be a draw and turn the show off. permanently.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't mind roh because I literally don't watch it. I don't care about it but I also don't care that it exists. And the roh people that are actually featured on AEW are good so I don't mind that either.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Will Adam Cole be injured for the majority of his contract?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Shard posted:

I don't mind roh because I literally don't watch it. I don't care about it but I also don't care that it exists. And the roh people that are actually featured on AEW are good so I don't mind that either.

If it stayed in its own bubble as some sort of patronage of the jobber arts I wouldn’t care but all the belts are on tv all the time and involved in major storylines in a company that had too many belts before you add in ROH

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Buying ROH was worth it for FTR/Briscoes.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

“Hardcore AEW Fans Who Never Engaged With 2000s/2010s Indie Wrestling” was a type of person I didn’t think existed a year or so ago but have come to realize somehow makes up the majority of the fanbase. Bizarre!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sticky Nate posted:

:yeah:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NienNunb posted:

“Hardcore AEW Fans Who Never Engaged With 2000s/2010s Indie Wrestling” was a type of person I didn’t think existed a year or so ago but have come to realize somehow makes up the majority of the fanbase. Bizarre!

If the majority of the hardcore AEW fanbase, i.e. the 400 thousand people who watch Rampage, were that devoted to ROH, AEW would not exist.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

It's so weird that Adam Cole messed his ankle up to the point where he's unable to wrestle for several months and they decided to keep the tag belt on him and have him show up in multiple segments each week. I don't even hate him as a wrestler but it takes him 7 minutes to hobble to the ring and then say all his catchphrases and we're not even getting a match out of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

It's so weird that Adam Cole messed his ankle up to the point where he's unable to wrestle for several months and they decided to keep the tag belt on him and have him show up in multiple segments each week. I don't even hate him as a wrestler but it takes him 7 minutes to hobble to the ring and then say all his catchphrases and we're not even getting a match out of it.

NXT mark MJF is controlling his own stories now and what he says goes.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

He just sits there with an awful beard and shorts that show his pale little legs. He looks like a sad little baby and him being there isn't making him look good if they really want to make him a challenger for the title.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Its the dreaded CASUAL FANS

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

They were all exclusively WWE guys until Punk joined and left.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
NXT with the most epic pranks of all time

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

This is what they meant by "its not a sprint its a marathon"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sticky Nate posted:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

I didn’t watch wrestling after WCW died I had wayyyy cooler things to do like uhhhhhhh… I specced Long Island Hardcore instead of 00s wrestling

I started following WWE again in 2015 when Sting showed up because he was my favorite wrestler in WCW and I quickly realized it was still fuckin garbage and then I saw clips of Omega vs Okada I and the rest was history. Never heard of ROH or TNA until 2017 and never saw a Punk match until he debuted in AEW lol.

I’m very glad that at least seeing Sting break his neck in WWE wasn’t the end

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I didn’t watch wrestling after WCW died I had wayyyy cooler things to do like uhhhhhhh… I specced Long Island Hardcore instead of 00s wrestling

I started following WWE again in 2015 when Sting showed up because he was my favorite wrestler in WCW and I quickly realized it was still fuckin garbage and then I saw clips of Omega vs Okada I and the rest was history. Never heard of ROH or TNA until 2017 and never saw a Punk match until he debuted in AEW lol.

I’m very glad that at least seeing Sting break his neck in WWE wasn’t the end

I’m driving to your house with a thumb drive filled with 2012 PWG shows and the ROH Summer Of Punk dvd I’ve had since college. Adjust your thanksgiving plans accordingly

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

You're a good man for doing that, Nienunb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sticky Nate posted:

He just sits there with an awful beard and shorts that show his pale little legs. He looks like a sad little baby and him being there isn't making him look good if they really want to make him a challenger for the title.

I swear he looks scrawnier every time I see him. Bulk up dude!