Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

I’m on my way to London from Manchester, or would be if my train had a driver. How does this even happen? How can they schedule a train and forget to make sure there’s a driver?
Keep an eye out for the Seven Wonders of Stockport once you get going.

https://i.imgur.com/t3c7WaC.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The problem with calling Trump a dotard after that was the number of people thinking you were trying to get around saying 'retard' when, no, I'm calling old.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jakabite posted:

I’m on my way to London from Manchester, or would be if my train had a driver. How does this even happen? How can they schedule a train and forget to make sure there’s a driver?

called in sick?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The best part about the "dotard" thing was that a more direct translation from Korean was "old beast lunatic", which is both hilarious and I believe someone has it as a username now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Least favourite bloodborne boss.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jakabite posted:

EXACTLYTHE BONES, are their MONEYYYY

god I love that guy.

You'd be there by now if we hadn't saddled your replacement ai driver with that bloody nonsense with the trolleys.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

What was Bones again? I only think of the anime studio BONES who do a lot of good poo poo.

As was covered, Bones was a silly police procedural with two pretty people in the lead doing gross stuff with decayed corpses. One of the only plot things I can actually remember is that someone hacked a computer by writing code on a bone (huh? huh?) that the cops then scanned into their system as evidence. HACKED, NOOBS! :siren: :doink:

The actually funnier thing to me is that another extremely silly police procedural starring two pretty people, Lucifer, had the titular character be absolutely obsessed with the television show Bones. It was completely nonsensical and yet very meta, somehow.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

Keep an eye out for the Seven Wonders of Stockport once you get going.

https://i.imgur.com/t3c7WaC.mp4

Don't forget the 10-pin bowling!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Rappaport posted:

As was covered, Bones was a silly police procedural with two pretty people in the lead doing gross stuff with decayed corpses. One of the only plot things I can actually remember is that someone hacked a computer by writing code on a bone (huh? huh?) that the cops then scanned into their system as evidence. HACKED, NOOBS! :siren: :doink:

Some security researchers managed that using DNA

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

On my way home from work, when crossing the railway line I saw a train slowly come to a stop right before the bridge so the driver could answer the train phone. So maybe they were giving them a ring asking them to pop over to Manchester to fill in

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kecske posted:

called in sick?

are the unions still on a “no overtime” position? could be they were hoping someone would bail them out and everyone told them to get hosed

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Microplastics posted:

This is a very apposite conversation because I'm watching Kingdom of Heaven rn and in desperate need of a piss

A cat's settled on my lap and the war between "need to pee" and "can't disturb furry bundle of claws and adorableness" is agony.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Why don't cinemas offer a catheter service?
Why not, their prices are already taking the piss!!

For more posts like this, please hit the like button and ring that subscribe bell

sebzilla posted:

Shakespeare is good for this, with specific words/phrases as much as scenes/plot.

First time I watched Hamlet was mindblowing for the sheer amount of "oh, so *that's* where it comes from" going on.
Yeah I somehow managed to get through watching every 90s teen movie without having read taming of the shrew, so that was a revelation as well.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
On a cinema related tangent I've just managed to embarrass the client services team at my company by telling them we could watch entire loving marvel films in the time they let client meetings run over without some of us having anything to say.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

quote:

The World Health Organization (WHO) has asked China for more information on "clusters of undiagnosed pneumonia" reportedly spreading among children in the north of the country.

Reports by non-state media say paediatric hospitals in parts of China are overwhelmed with sick children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-67505218

christers :cripes:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Kin posted:

On a cinema related tangent I've just managed to embarrass the client services team at my company by telling them we could watch entire loving marvel films in the time they let client meetings run over without some of us having anything to say.

Does that include sitting through the credits to see that the Cock Knocker is going to make his appearance in the next film?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I just want the State to take land from the wealthy after they die

*Monkeys Paw curls*

https://twitter.com/tianran/status/1727738312071184540?t=OP4_HrDjNaaxEYhlFSB4zw&s=19

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I'm on the transpennine train from Edinburgh to Mancs and it's... actually kind of a decent spacious, modern train with generous storage racks and chargers everywhere, is this a new thing? Its much nicer than your standard virgin train, somehow the seats feel bigger. I can't remember the last time I went by rail, I'm out of the loop.

Cookie Cutter fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 23, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

*Monkeys Paw curls*
L'État, c'est mal.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Gonzo McFee posted:

*Monkeys Paw curls*

https://twitter.com/tianran/status/1727738312071184540?t=OP4_HrDjNaaxEYhlFSB4zw&s=19

Anyone who watched a lot of daytime tv a few years ago knew this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007nms5

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

kecske posted:

called in sick?

I refuse to believe that the driver got ill half the time
I’ve needed to get a train in the last year

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

maybe they knew you were coming?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Things are kicking in off in dublin.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Cookie Cutter posted:

I'm on the transpennine train from Edinburgh to Mancs and it's... actually kind of a decent spacious, modern train with generous storage racks and chargers everywhere, is this a new thing? Its much nicer than your standard virgin train, somehow the seats feel bigger. I can't remember the last time I went by rail, I'm out of the loop.

Trans Pennine is decent enough, if it turns up. It's very well known not to. Also annoying for travelling with a bicycle as they require reservations which can be a bit of a mess with the whole cancelling trains nonsense.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Runcible Cat posted:

A cat's settled on my lap and the war between "need to pee" and "can't disturb furry bundle of claws and adorableness" is agony.

He still hasn't moved. I may have to commit the Unforgivable Sin.

FE: fucksake I'm watching Danger UXB and they just started pouring water on a bomb to get a look at it. Cat's going to shift he can curse me all he wants.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Jippa posted:

Things are kicking in off in dublin.

without context i thought this might be about the broader Irish situation but it seems like it's just one grim specific incident

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/23/dublin-knife-attack-children-stabbing-ireland-parnell-square

quote:

Violent protests have flared in Dublin after a stabbing attack outside a school left three children injured.

A crowd chanting anti-immigrant slogans set a police car on fire and attacked several officers on Thursday night hours after a man stabbed a woman and three young children, leaving one in critical condition.[...]

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Driving to work yesterday and an advert was on the radio talking about Naloxone being available in pharmacies. One of the lads said he thought it was a bad idea to give it out for free as it would encourage junkie to continue to use drugs, you know not the moreish heroin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There were far less addicts when they gave the heroin out for tuppence ha'penny at the chemists, not least because the mob decided that they couldn't compete with that and so didn't bother.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

without context i thought this might be about the broader Irish situation but it seems like it's just one grim specific incident

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/23/dublin-knife-attack-children-stabbing-ireland-parnell-square

The police look completely out of control. Some wild videos on twitter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Cookie Cutter posted:

Maybe you sat in 1st by mistake.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Time to rewatch Children of Men, just to get some pointers.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe you sat in 1st by mistake.

Honestly, I did feel the need to check to make sure, madness.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I got an LNER train via York that was going to Edinburgh (although I was only going to Berwick-upon-tweed) and I was amazed at how not a total nightmare it was compared to the trains I get in the Midlands almost every day. A reminder of how it could so easily be if ran vaguely competently and fairly

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When did the Guardian start this particular style for its columnist pics.

It's kind of unsettling.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

When did the Guardian start this particular style for its columnist pics.

It's kind of unsettling.

So you can meme them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RuchoSharma/status/1108007042541932545

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Every Op-editorial at the Guardian has the same headline: "I forgave the man who killed my son. Then he killed my other son."

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Cookie Cutter posted:

5 car set, hauled by a big hench new looking loco that made a lot of noise? Yeah we're taking those out of service.
https://www.railtech.com/all/2023/09/05/uk-transpennine-express-to-withdraw-nearly-new-nova-3-train-sets/?gdpr=deny.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The other day my train home from London was cancelled and the reason given was 'too many trains'. What did some of them have fuckin baby trains unexpectedly? ...it was fine I got the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

HopperUK posted:

The other day my train home from London was cancelled and the reason given was 'too many trains'. What did some of them have fuckin baby trains unexpectedly? ...it was fine I got the next one.

Sounds better than "too few drivers"