Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah like power in this game right now is far more about interruptions/quick effects than it is the one-card combo ending with some combo of Accesscode/BDF/BSD that i think really put a lot of people off the game and it's much better for it

except mathmechs in MD can gently caress off

Yeah like, even in High Tear era it wasn't a wall of infinite negates it was a bunch of summons and destructions you could play with and around. It's fun!

In fact the most dogshit decks in the current meta are the ones that end on Red Hot King Calamity like Mannadium or Centurion. Which could be solved by banning that single ED monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by far the biggest problem with tears* was that few decks had interruptions to the level of tears so it felt like your opponent was playing twice as much as you were, which isn't a good feeling

what i'm saying is tears can come back now that we have decks like r-ace

*apart from it being literally the strongest deck ever released

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

by far the biggest problem with tears was that few decks had interruptions to the level of tears so it felt like your opponent was playing twice as much as you were, which isn't a good feeling

what i'm saying is tears can come back now that we have decks like r-ace

Honestly, I've had some full power tear vs labrynth games at locals and it's so goddamn fun.

TEars biggest sin was it stood alone on the mountain. As others rise up we will see beauty in them again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah like, even in High Tear era it wasn't a wall of infinite negates it was a bunch of summons and destructions you could play with and around. It's fun!

In fact the most dogshit decks in the current meta are the ones that end on Red Hot King Calamity like Mannadium or Centurion. Which could be solved by banning that single ED monster.

OCG solves Mannadium by a simple card that punishes combo decks........

but yeah King Calamity should be banned, its like from the era where poo poo like Azathot and Shock Master were considered acceptable to print

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yu-Gi-Oh died when TSHD unleashed the war criminals known as Infernities and Ronintoadin on an unsuspecting population

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They should print more infernity monsters

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Release Gumblar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Gumblar is up there with like Shock Master and Utopic Zexal as one of the least likely ED monsters to get unbanned

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I would have said the same about Rhongo but MD surprised me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also Elpy. remember when they thought "You can Special Summon 1 Dragon monster from your hand or Deck" was an acceptable card effect for a link-1

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Grapha,_Dragon_Overlord_of_Dark_World Tears getting to summon this was not fun, actually

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It was actually

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I demand we introduce Smogon-style tier systems for decks in YGO.

You guys can go play Tear in Ubers, I wanna go play some weird poo poo down in Underused.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New solo gate: Genex

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Flair posted:

New solo gate: Genex

Case in point, that's a 'decently strong in Underused'-rear end archetype if I ever saw one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cleretic posted:

You guys can go play Tear in Ubers, I wanna go play some weird poo poo down in Underused.

that's legitimately something I'd love but it'd just be hard to actually implement

MTG commander has a "power level" thing agreed upon between players and I'd love stuff which isn't a time capsule format but lets you use weird rear end non-meta archetypes like Volcanics or some poo poo

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it is a very cool idea that always seems to end up with like, 3 people making fun underpowered decks, one person playing outright garbage and 2 more running "blue eyes/DM" that's actually just 35 staple cards and 4 actual alleged engine cards"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it is a very cool idea that always seems to end up with like, 3 people making fun underpowered decks, one person playing outright garbage and 2 more running "blue eyes/DM" that's actually just 35 staple cards and 4 actual alleged engine cards"

God, there's a youtube channel in my recommendations that does weird archtype decks in Master Duel, but half of them are just six of the two good cards in the archtype being carried by an actual deck and the replays shown are the ones where those cards happened into his opening hand.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Good news: this already exists. It's called "Kuchen format"

Bad news: turns out its difficult to assess the power level of every card in the game against every other card when you have like 3 volunteers and no useful play data.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Smogon tiering is based almost exclusively on usage stats. The more a Pokemon is used, the higher tier it gets restricted to. There's more to it with suspect tests and emergency bans and such, but at it's core it's a simple system.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Syenite posted:

I mean, Smogon tiering is based almost exclusively on usage stats. The more a Pokemon is used, the higher tier it gets restricted to. There's more to it with suspect tests and emergency bans and such, but at it's core it's a simple system.

Yeah, if you have the numbers, then it's easy to draw lines.

Building certain decks in those structures is when it gets kinda funky, with Genex being a good example: its tendency to produce cards that are really strong in other people's decks would mean that 'full power Genex' is off in, like, OU because of power cards like Birdman, while most of the deck is more off in RU or NU territory.

I can also immediately imagine some decks like Dark Magician getting 'noob trapped' in some tiers. There's a great video about weird tiering mishaps across Smogon's history, where one example was Dusknoir being stuck in a tier that it can't do anything in, because of so many inexperienced players being SURE it must be good that it never actually dropped into a usage tier it'd actually do well in.

Staples would also be a weird situation, where they might have to be just locked as usable by all/most/certain tiers. Like, by usage Ash Blossom is probably OU/Ubers, but that instead becomes a ubiquitous one because otherwise poo poo gets broken.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

in a world where pure usage stats define tier, every single handtrap better than like, skull meister ends up in at least UU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Syenite posted:

None of the online sims like dueling book track useage data (they're already in a legally dubious enough situation as is) so without manual assessment every smogon tier will invariably become "ban whatever's popular in Master Duel each month". Decks like tri-brigade or zoodiac that are slightly too weak to compete in MD would run rampant. It's like when MBT decided it would be a good idea to put salamangreat in rotation format and it was almost unbeatable, even with most of its power cards banned.

Smogon works because they have data from the games and their own format is extremely popular, so there's no shortage of data. But in Yu-Gi-Oh, at some point you have to assess every deck individually or you end up with a series of terrible formats that bleed players while you desperately emergency ban cards to save it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

opportunity cost matters a whole lot more in 6v6 than it does in 40+ card decks; 20+% of teams in smogon don't run the best mons because they have some strat that doesn't want them, and it's not throwing to not play great tusk or kinggambit or w/e. On the other hand, in a 40 card deck 90+% of everyone is always going to run 3 max C because there are never 38+ better cards in a deck than 3 copies of max C

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

in a world where pure usage stats define tier, every single handtrap better than like, skull meister ends up in at least UU
Yeah I think it would be a horrible format. Once you've banned the very top tier of decks there are like 30+ interchangeable combo decks that put up extremely strong endboards (none of which would get banned since they would each occupy a small amount of the meta), and there wouldn't be much gameplay since all the interactive cards you need to interrupt combos or break boards would be banned.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 24, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i fuckin love flipping toxic cards

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 27, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New temporary login bonus:

New special bundle. This time, the UR is TTT:

New Ra secret pack:

New Therion secret pack:

Temporary Anniversary bundle with Silfer and accessories:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the gods finally get summoning animations lmao. never understood why they didn't have them forever

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Got four URs from my TTT bundle, effectively 55 UR dust (one of the pulls was glossy, and I already had a playset of TTT). I continue to believe that these bundles of staple card + 10 packs are weighed towards producing more URs than the usual ten pulls, since these are aimed at new players.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
first locals...... played bad and pulled good :coolspot:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Upcoming Duelist Cup:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Skios posted:

Got four URs from my TTT bundle, effectively 55 UR dust (one of the pulls was glossy, and I already had a playset of TTT). I continue to believe that these bundles of staple card + 10 packs are weighed towards producing more URs than the usual ten pulls, since these are aimed at new players.

I literally just bought this and didn't get a single UR except the guaranteed TTT. :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I literally just bought this and didn't get a single UR except the guaranteed TTT. :negative:

I came out okay, but I generally have very bad pull luck so I count that as things trying to even out

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

quote:

A new Forbidden/Limited List and new packs have been announced!!!!

2 new selection packs have been announced!

Beginning of the Next Journey: This pack features support for "Gate Guardian" and "Branded" as well as introduces the brand new archetype "Mannadium".

Mighty Contenders: To pair with the upcoming updates to the Forbidden/Limited List, this pack includes some of the cards recently released off the list! This pack includes Zoodiac Drident, Redox, Dragon Ruler of Boulders, Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries, and more!

Forbidden/Limited List update:

Limited:
Performapal Monkeyboard
Redox, Dragon Ruler of Boulders
Tidal, Dragon Ruler of Waterfalls
Zoodiac Ratpier

Unlimited:
Zoodiac Barrage

Dragon Rulers are FREE!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/news/november-2023/selection-packs-announced

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think playing purrely irl is the dumbest i have ever felt. not because i didn't do too well because i kept forgetting to activate certain effects, but saying poo poo like "lyly target pretty" or "lyly search friend" is like deranged poo poo. is this what it was like when prank-kids were a relevant deck

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

first locals...... played bad and pulled good :coolspot:

:coolspot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a way to make the gate guardian retrains work with the Invoked engine?

Invoked Gate Guardians sounds way cooler in my head then they probably actually are

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New selection pack with the new cards:

New selection pack with old cards that have just been unbanned:

New bystial secret pack:

New pendulum secret pack:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there a way to make the gate guardian retrains work with the Invoked engine?

Invoked Gate Guardians sounds way cooler in my head then they probably actually are

I feel like you can run it, it's just that gate guardian is a really card hungry engine; I really don't know if there's a way to run it that isn't insanely bricky with less than like, 25-30 "in engine" cards (and honestly it's still pretty bricky then) and invoked wants another 8 or 9, leaving a deck with like space, maybe a nib or imperm, let alone maxx cs or ashes.

I have a feeling that it'd be like, insanely fun pop-off fun deck to play with friends, but bricky and probably just outright unplayable against meta