Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Creature posted:

I discovered by accident that a double pinch gesture while looking at the watch opens widget view (or whatever it’s called when those extra widgets not on the watch face show up). No idea how to get it back to the watch face though.

Just put your wrist down to close Smart Stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone having trouble getting the weather complication/watch app to show weather? My watch has no idea what’s going on and just has been saying “—“ for days now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

buglord posted:

Anyone having trouble getting the weather complication/watch app to show weather? My watch has no idea what’s going on and just has been saying “—“ for days now.

Please see 50% of the last 300 posts. Better to just shell out for Carrot or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Good news for kid-free goons:
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/11/15/watchos-10-2-watch-face-swipe-change/

quote:

Users can now choose to use a swipe gesture to switch the active Apple Watch face by enabling the option in the Apple Watch Settings app. With the feature turned on, swiping left or right on the watch face scrolls through the available watch faces that have been set up.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm so glad they are adding this back in.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm delighted by this (see: my previous complaining) but also surprised. I wasn't aware there was any particularly vocal backlash about this, I figured this feature was gone, and it doesn't seem like this can have been planned from the beginning because why would they not have made it a toggle from the start? Whatever, my quick faces are back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hell yeah

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Between this and bringing back the now playing icon at the top, I’m glad they are fixing the annoying things they changed

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Gillman posted:

Between this and bringing back the now playing icon at the top, I’m glad they are fixing the annoying things they changed

I shan’t be using the swipe feature because it always bugged me but the removal of the now playing was so baffling.

I’m glad it’s back.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Corb3t posted:

I'm so glad they are adding this back in.

I’m glad it’s back too, but sometimes it’s annoying when a cuff or whatever flips it :v:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like how the watch is now but I'm glad they thought "why not give people options"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not sure if watch thread question or iPhone thread question but question.

I went on a hour's walk but messed up the workout tracking and paused early on and forgot to unpause for like 40 minutes. Going into the workout data in Health I can see the pause and unpause events in the workout log and it feels like I should be able to just remove the first pause or add an unpause in but I can't seem to find a way to do that? Is it possible or should I just nuke the workout and write in a new one with eyeballed numbers? (It's a regular routine so I'm quite sure of these numbers)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
You know how you can ping a family members phone using ‘find my’ from your phone. Is there a way of doing that from the Apple Watch?

Currently it only shows my devices.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fedule posted:

Not sure if watch thread question or iPhone thread question but question.

I went on a hour's walk but messed up the workout tracking and paused early on and forgot to unpause for like 40 minutes. Going into the workout data in Health I can see the pause and unpause events in the workout log and it feels like I should be able to just remove the first pause or add an unpause in but I can't seem to find a way to do that? Is it possible or should I just nuke the workout and write in a new one with eyeballed numbers? (It's a regular routine so I'm quite sure of these numbers)

the watch does additional work when the workout is unpaused, that work can't be retroactively done. you can delete the workout and eyeball it or just add the delta of what you're missing in measured effort to a secondary workout in the middle

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if you're just counting calories and exercise minutes, I've found the watch tallies it up about the same whether you're recording a walk workout or not

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Where in the hell do you check the awards progress? I can’t find it for the life of me

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

On the phone, but sometimes it goes away and you have to force close and restart the Fitness app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Glimpse posted:

On the phone, but sometimes it goes away and you have to force close and restart the Fitness app.

Thank you! I completely forgot about the fitness app.

I’m kinda surprised there isn’t a thanksgiving award.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MarcusSA posted:

Thank you! I completely forgot about the fitness app.

I’m kinda surprised there isn’t a thanksgiving award.

surprised there isn't myself. in the past there have been 5k rewards for thanksgiving, was the only time of the year my parents would actually do anything resembling "working out" to get that award.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Does anyone else’s watch only charge halfway

Every few days I find that my series 9 is on 15% by 5pm with only light use, and when I check the battery it’s because it only charged to 75% the night before.

It’s on the charger the entire night, and it’s definitely plugged in as it’s next to my bed on nightstand mode.

It’s doing my head in.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Creature posted:

Does anyone else’s watch only charge halfway

Every few days I find that my series 9 is on 15% by 5pm with only light use, and when I check the battery it’s because it only charged to 75% the night before.

It’s on the charger the entire night, and it’s definitely plugged in as it’s next to my bed on nightstand mode.

It’s doing my head in.

you probably have optimized battery charging on. it's suppose to learn your usage and not charge 100% unless it thinks you will need so.

to turn this off, goto settings on the watch, go down to battery, then battery health and then turn off optimized battery charging.

if you just want to do it one time, connect the charger to the watch, tap the watch to show the charging screen then tap the charging lightning bolt circle icon thing. then tap charge to full now.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 24, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don’t really understand how optimized charging determines when to charge and stop at 80%. For the past few months it has randomly been stopping at 80, but the past 2 weeks it now charges to 100 with no change in daily activity.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has anyone here bought an Apple Watch after ditching Fitbit? If so, what was your experience?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Red posted:

Has anyone here bought an Apple Watch after ditching Fitbit? If so, what was your experience?

the Apple Watch is better

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Unlike the Fitbit, it'll be around in a few years. However, I'm just not loving the look of the Apple interface, and I'm wondering if I should look at a Garmin watch instead - but Garmin is lacking in several areas.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There's something weird going on with my Series 6. As near as I can figure when I go to charge it, the drat thing starts downloading gigs of...something for no apparent reason. If the traffic monitor on my router is right, it pulled down 100Gb over three days last week, and it's been doing that since October based on my bandwidth usage. Powering it off before I place it on the charger seems to at least be a workaround for the problem, but hasn't seemed to truly fix the issue. I'm guessing I should try unpairing/resetting the thing to try and knock some sense into it?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Check your music settings, also podcasts. When I used to use Apple Podcasts it tried to download the entire back catalog of every podcast I was subscribed to more than once.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:tipshat: I don't use Apple Podcasts, but Music was set to automatically grab my recently added. I'll see if that fixes it tonight.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

Unlike the Fitbit, it'll be around in a few years. However, I'm just not loving the look of the Apple interface, and I'm wondering if I should look at a Garmin watch instead - but Garmin is lacking in several areas.

Just FYI if it's the bubble app interface you don't like, you can set that to a list

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wanted to get one of those combo iphone/watch chargers but the cost is pretty eye watering for the official charger or even the ones most recommended on the internet. Looking at cheaper options they occasionally have a review saying it failed catastrophically but I dunno if that's just happenstance or indicative of a real issue. Any suggestions for modest options?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I bought this one for standby mode for my phone and it hasn’t burned my house down yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC5JCJPV

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I bought this one for standby mode for my phone and it hasn’t burned my house down yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC5JCJPV

Does this do quick charge on the watch? I bought one that said it does but it’s god awful slow

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wanted to get one of those combo iphone/watch chargers but the cost is pretty eye watering for the official charger or even the ones most recommended on the internet. Looking at cheaper options they occasionally have a review saying it failed catastrophically but I dunno if that's just happenstance or indicative of a real issue. Any suggestions for modest options?

Anker ones are good. I don’t have this one personally, but looks fine.

https://www.anker.com/products/b2598

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Does this do quick charge on the watch? I bought one that said it does but it’s god awful slow

Yep. Seems to work just fine for my Ultra.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Anyone go from a non cellular to a cellular watch? Did it change things/how you used the watch significantly? Thinking about getting the cellular version next watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone go from a non cellular to a cellular watch? Did it change things/how you used the watch significantly? Thinking about getting the cellular version next watch.

If you are a runner, it's worth it. Otherwise, not really unless you REALLY REALLY want to leave your phone at home. But then you get a message asking to send a picture or something and drat wish I had my phone on me.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Anker ones are good. I don’t have this one personally, but looks fine.

https://www.anker.com/products/b2598

Anker in general has really useful stuff. They make great little device stands that fit just about everything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I only did because the ultra has it.

The ultra is awesome but I don’t really use the cellular feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I use it when I go swimming. I leave my phone at home and just go with the watch. I can still buy stuff at the grocery store on the way back with Apple Pay, and I’ve got a custom message saying I’m swimming laps and I’ll call them in a couple hours if someone rings. I really dig it.