Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm curious are you doing anything in particular to stop glare on your windshield from the flash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Nope. Shooting in the day doesn't create reflections

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

yep, this is good, i like it

colors are nice. I especially like the orange reflections. those make the image for me

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

trying to get better at paying attention to sunrise / sunset and keeping an eye on weather forecasts and radar.

shooting only with 35mm and 85mm nikkor prime lenses

woke up early this morning to get to my local lookout and fairly happy with the results. shot flat, no post

85mm

35mm

85mm from last week, at sunset instead of sunrise:

valleys are tricky

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sunrise/sunset is a huge drug. You almost never get the perfect conditions so spend a lot of time in withdrawal. Then one hits and justifies the weeks of nothing.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah I actually got up to take shots of the sunrise hitting this guy

but then as the sun rose, more clouds crept in and kept the eastern face from being fully illuminated in direct sunlight. next opportunity with good weather looks like Friday at the earliest

I'd also hope to get this one soon with blue / twilight sky instead of overcast

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A9366 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A9370 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A9405 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A9382 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Spectacular.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

spookygonk posted:

Spectacular.

That's so nice! Thanks :)

Here are some detail shots I took, and then one more faraway one.

313A9291 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A9299 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A93952 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A9358 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

^^^ Nice cave

webcams for christ posted:

trying to get better at paying attention to sunrise / sunset and keeping an eye on weather forecasts and radar.
valleys are tricky

Finally came back to this post on desktop instead of just mobile and was able to appreciate these images. I especially love the third one, with the boat and the wonderful light on the peaks

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Not sure if these are all landscape, but they're from the same run

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holy poo poo! This is so loving good. I love it. I want to print it.

IMG_1819 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_2186 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_2194-Enhanced-NR by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A2994 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 20, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 20, 2023

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Are you Dennis Reynolds?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

these are so surreal

its irresponsible but id love to see the coffee cup pose paired with the highway backdrop

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Are you Dennis Reynolds?

I've seen the show but I don't get the reference in this case

maxe posted:

these are so surreal

its irresponsible but id love to see the coffee cup pose paired with the highway backdrop

I'm gonna try tomorrow. I'll use a pinky to hold the steering wheel on the straightaway

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 21, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If he doesn’t post again I call dibs on stealing his style

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

I've seen the show but I don't get the reference in this case

I was (poorly) referencing the episode where he eats cereal while driving.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really love photography

313A0435-Enhanced-NR by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0436 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0466-Enhanced-NR by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0483-Enhanced-NR by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0547 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0553 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0590 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0595 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

this entire page loving slaps goddamn guys

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

field balm posted:

this entire page loving slaps goddamn guys

I am loving your recent work so much. You capture such entrancing scenes with perfect exposures.

Hang this one in a museum! Never have I seen bathrooms so perfectly presented. I love how you balanced the contrast.

Phenomenal colors! I am transported back to my childhood with this one.

313A0851 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0824 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0822 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0740 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0806 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0637 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A0628 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sick

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Those are all great but these two in particular I love. Well done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not a critique, just a question to get me some perspective: why did you leave that tree poking in on the right?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Not a critique, just a question to get me some perspective: why did you leave that tree poking in on the right?

I felt like the photo just got too narrow if I removed it, and resulted in a weird aspect ratio. I tried, but would need photoshop to do it in a way that I would be happy with, and removing a photo with that textured background is beyond my very limited photoshop skills

Do you think it would look better cropped in, even if it makes it that narrow and then kind of unbalances the curve of the lip of the waterfall?

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 24, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't really have a suggestion, I think the current aspect ratio is the best choice. But if I was there I probably would have angled the camera a couple degrees left to avoid including it. But maybe the scene wouldn't allow that, I wasn't there.

So again it's not really a critique, just curious what the process was. Most would consider it a distraction to eliminate so it was interesting to see it left in.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

this is very cool but you are now grey squares

i really like the juxtaposition of two dimensonality with elements that show depth

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I don't really have a suggestion, I think the current aspect ratio is the best choice. But if I was there I probably would have angled the camera a couple degrees left to avoid including it. But maybe the scene wouldn't allow that, I wasn't there.

So again it's not really a critique, just curious what the process was. Most would consider it a distraction to eliminate so it was interesting to see it left in.

It was probably just an oversight. I need to get better at paying attention to things you have pointed out like vertical alignment and elements in the edge of the frame. I consistently have to try to deal with these issues during editing, but if I can avoid them during the shoot it would be much better

I appreciate your comments a lot! They make me a better photographer

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

I think keeping the aspect but coming in on the bottom and right makes for a better comp. You cut out the extra trees, center the two main ones, and still get some of that crazy texture at the bottom.

Also, why did adobe make saving a simple JPEG such a stupidly long process now in photoshop? Jesus.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Losing that much of the vertically falling water in the foreground really kills its impact for me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Semi agree, could come down a bit at the top but i really liked where the trees were in frame originally

Real answer is obviously to go back and shoot it again!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really like that tiny little tree top too. Just a little dude butting in to create some tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, why did adobe make saving a simple JPEG such a stupidly long process now in photoshop? Jesus.

You can change the Quick Export As PNG to other file types.

Go to File > Export > Export Preferences and set up what you'd like the Quick Export settings to be. Change to JPG, choose the quality, save location settings, metadata and color space options. Once you save, the File > Export > Quick Export As will now be JPG.