Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sundae posted:

I'm not gonna blame the fill-in artist since I'm sure he or she was given notes, but the main writer & artist reallllly horn it up for Savarna, don't they? It's downright awkward.

Gotta say though, if this lovely-rear end arc hadn't somehow taken like four IRL years to get through, trying to dodge a future with a Savarna lineage of phantoms only to have your son fall for her instead would be a :lol: kind of ending. But nope, gently caress everything about all of this.
Its less trying to dodge a Savarna line and more trying to dodge the line ending entirely; The current one would be dead, even after pumping babbies into her, and the ring et al would be in the hands of Kit after his guerilla fighters killed his dad, and you know drat well he would not be giving them back.
I don't blame you if you don't remember the last bit because that was five hundred years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

At this point, I'm just rooting for the course of action that gets the Phantom thoroughly owned and considered an embarrassment by his ancestors, just because he's handling this prophecy business in the stupidest way possible.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I feel like mary worth usually tries to give her the benefit of the doubt as interfering in her neighbors lives as a good faith effort but this latest arc is really painting her as a meddling gossip. it's cracking me up

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Its less trying to dodge a Savarna line and more trying to dodge the line ending entirely; The current one would be dead, even after pumping babbies into her, and the ring et al would be in the hands of Kit after his guerilla fighters killed his dad, and you know drat well he would not be giving them back.
I don't blame you if you don't remember the last bit because that was five hundred years ago

Yeah I forgot that part with Kit getting the ring. This loving plotline. :suicide:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pencilhands posted:

I feel like mary worth usually tries to give her the benefit of the doubt as interfering in her neighbors lives as a good faith effort but this latest arc is really painting her as a meddling gossip. it's cracking me up

It’s always a little jarring when a Mary Worth story is about characters who have no connection to any of the regulars. It basically makes Mary Rod Serling or the Cyptkeeper in her own strip.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Speaking of that meddlesome Mary Worth, here's more of the 1999 story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1K9fyshsj8

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Do you suppose Kit is incredibly fickle, or was Mozz just lying when he said Kit has a girlfriend back in the mountains.

Also seeing "Weigel" instead of "Manley" is making me nervous.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/22/03

Brenda Starr 2/17/52

I have to admit, I like watching Liz so confidently embark on her idiotic plan that's already fallen apart and she doesn't know it.

Smokey Stover 3/2/58

Everyday Movies 12/28/36

"There's just one thing I don't like about Santa Claus, he gives such nicer presents to the rich children."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/16/42

Spoilered for wartime ethnic slur.

For those who don't want to look: Scarlet persuades the crooked mayor to loan the Walks $500 to pay off their mortgage, with their land as collateral -- the mayor figures he can grab the land for himself before Wormly gets it.

Closer Than We Think! 3/2/58

No one show this to Elon Musk ... although the transatlantic railgun is an interesting idea. As far as I can find, Karl Aleksandrovich Gilzin was a Russian science writer whose works were widely translated.

Bonus Comic! I noticed this one because of the lower left panel -- you don't see many strips doing gags about cops beating a suspect these days. And it's even funny!

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 23, 2023

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

So Hector is a beloved Finnish singer/songwriter.

And Ajax is a less beloved international brand of cleaning supplies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hippocrass posted:

Wish they could have shown us all this backstory in the previous several months instead of loving off and relegating it to a paragraph in a splash page. Like, Flash Gordon reboot could get away with that because it was recapping an already vaguely familiar story. Even people who never read the strip or saw the movie likely have SOME idea of the story.
Nope. :geno:

Kazinsal posted:

IIRC the Weapon Brown guy was also the guy who drew a comic strip about a sexually abused kindergartener.
...that people on these forums used to really love for some reason.

Weapon Brown I get. I liked Weapon Brown. It was fun to catch all the references and see the familiar characters in in a post-apocalyptic setting. But Clarissa? No.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I think the idea is that she has a secret drinking problem — no-one's cottoned on yet. (Just my impression; I might have missed something.)

Also I have to admit that I always scrolled right past Apartment 3-G until this lady showed up. I just... find her very attractive?? :blush: I like her cool hairstyle and outfits, and her gregarious messy drunken lonely married bullshit. I don't know what that says about me*, but keep on loungin', my beautiful queenly trainwreck.

* I have a pretty good idea of some things it might say about me.
She is extremely likeable. I hope her husband never arrives and she gets to keep on living her life.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom
33 months (and counting!) and it ends (:pray:) with the Phantom going "gently caress it, maybe Mozz was full of poo poo all along." :geno:

Selachian posted:

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/25-27/51

This comic might be good if it were at all possible to tell any of male the characters (ie. almost the entire cast) apart.

Julet Esqu posted:

Do you suppose Kit is incredibly fickle, or was Mozz just lying when he said Kit has a girlfriend back in the mountains.
DePaul probably forgot about that at some point since he wrote it, two years ago or whenever.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 20, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack
Chocolate syrup on roast turkey? :stare:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

Legend of Bill

this is the most egregious copy/pasting i've ever seen

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Uchida Shungicu, asking the hard-hitting questions like “do babies smell a bit like cum actually?”

Comic Strips 2023: It's not a fetish or anything, I swear

Crab Dad posted:

Are we not supposed to be on team Kent here?

Of course not! I presume the creators don't understand how this kind of thing comes off to other people, but they may also simply not care, given how little regard they seem to have for anyone unlike themselves.

Tiggum posted:

Chocolate syrup on roast turkey? :stare:

Right? To please my pet bird, I'll ruin the meal!

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I guess the cat has to work on Thanksgiving. Also I notice they're not inviting her to the regular meal even though she's a fully sentient being.

Vintage Valiant (May 29, 1960)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The author really can't stop talking about spanking, uh?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

turns out it's physically impossible to prevent your fetishes from cakesitting into your work

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Saoshyant posted:

The author really can't stop talking about spanking, uh?

Medenmath posted:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a bit like early Wonder Woman with all the light kink play.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Early Wonder Woman was absurdly blatant by comparison. Foster has tipped the hand too many times in two months though.

What really gets me today is the communal "oh well, lol" everybody had for Hugo getting shanked and his own family and castle practically having a festival for his funeral. :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

When talkin' turkey goes horribly wrong.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

manero posted:

Pluggers

this man is wearing women's underwear

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Medenmath posted:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Sluggo, she's young enough to need minding.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Sluggo, she's young enough to need minding.

Well, so is Sluggo. A lot of Nancy comics sort of rely on you overlooking the actual ages of the characters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anime amirite

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 29, 1960)

Panel 2 is just perfect in its Dark Ages schadenfreude

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Didn't gunning down that guy lead to an extensive bout of carpet bombing and guerilla war?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's kinda funny how virtual every sci-fi world has a town or planet solely dedicated to crime.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Didn't gunning down that guy lead to an extensive bout of carpet bombing and guerilla war?

Ha ha, you just don't get it *I have gone completely insane*

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

I like the new vet, she's totally unfazed by Pancho and is wrapping him around her finger without a problem.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
SO... I was looking for an excuse to give Mutt and Jeff a rest for awhile, and the holiday season loans me the perfect excuse.

Beginning in 1936 (at least), Newspaper Enterprise Associates offered an annual Christmas miniseries for its client newspapers, and for the first decade many of them were written by NEA journeyman Hal Cochran. One title leapt at me, though: Santa's VIctory Christmas, the Christmas 1942 offering.

Does that title set up more expectations than a Santa Claus adventure could ever possibly deliver? Of course! But apart from Cochran, we have art from Leo Nowalk, who ghosted on Superman for the Siegel-Shuster shop. So hang up the holly and get out your ration books, because it's time for your wartime allotment of holiday sugar...with a message for the home front eventually, I'm sure. (November 23, 1942)

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 19, 1935)

Peanuts (November 25, 1976)

Crankshaft presents a mutant hybrid thing. But enough about Ed, let's look at the bird.

Li'l Abner (March 4-6, 1935; spoilers for another day of "it's a culture, not a costume".)

Thimble Theater (June 27, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (May 17-19, 1943)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Honestly, that's pretty sweet. The dad doesn't need them to watch the show, just having them with him was the point.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Huh, I guess the name of this character got changed for the ComicsKingdom version? I vaguely remember they had a Japanese name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

Because she was a known associate of that weird white guy studying at the temple. If she doesn't spend like half a day palling around with Kit first...