Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

fatherboxx posted:

Last official figure from Zaluzhny was 150 000 dead, open source estimates confirm about 40 000.

Dead is one problem, wounded is a worse problem. Dead sucks, and is someone gone from the labor pool. Lose your legs? Kidneys get hosed up? You actively need continuing care. That's not to mention PTSD, or just flat out letting violet criminals out and GIVING them PTSD. Just because you survived doesn't mean you aren't an issue your state needs to deal with. And if the state doesn't deal with you? You are a problem worse than a dead man. So maybe 100k flat out dead, and then a couple hundred thousand more on top of that that are somewhere from "I cut my toe" to "I will need continuing medical care for the rest of my short life".

It's not great, and Russia can't just keep eating those figures year after year without collapsing. Same is true for Ukraine, but again: Everyone just sort of accepts that Ukraine is fighting for it's existence. It's wild that Russia is too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Theres also a lot of video evidence out there of just brazen disregard for the wounded in the field.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08
Trying to guess which side breaks first at this point is like trying to call the outcome of WW1 at Verdun. Both sides have a long way to go before the breaking point.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Virtually no war has stopped due to running out of people to put into uniforms to go fight. That's really not how wars end, nor is either Ukraine or Russia anywhere even remotely near that point. There are many other factors that would end the war far before that point would be reached.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, speaking of Verdun, France in 1914 had a similar population to Ukraine today, suffered casualties at a much higher rate than Ukraine is, and went on to win their war. Factors other than "number of humans in the country" are wildly more important in this conflict.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gort posted:

Yeah, speaking of Verdun, France in 1914 had a similar population to Ukraine today, suffered casualties at a much higher rate than Ukraine is, and went on to win their war. Factors other than "number of humans in the country" are wildly more important in this conflict.

I suspect this line of discussion needs to fade out, but I just wanted to add that France had the British Empire (at its peak or close to it) on it side in 1914 with British troops on the ground.

I really hope we can help Ukraine enough. The horrible situation in Gaza has thrown a lot of things into doubt.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Eric Cantonese posted:

British troops

I believe the correct English terms are lads or chaps :eng101:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nervous posted:

I believe the correct English terms are lads or chaps :eng101:

Yes but what about the Scotts, Welsh, and Irish, hmm?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

e: nvm, this joke won't go over well with current moderation's understanding of European humor.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 21, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The general rule of thumb with modern warfare is 10x as many wounded as dead. A lot of wounded soldiers can be patched up and sent back in, but a lot of them can't.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Paladinus posted:

Wifes and mothers of the mobilised have been lately trying to stage protests. Not against the war itself or Putin, but against the conditions under which their husbands and sons have to fight. Previously, the preferred method of spreading awareness was recording videos that later were picked up by Z tg channels, but now they are going for street protests, which means that the effectiveness of tg videos has diminished. So far, local governments prefer to reach out to organisers before they take to the streets and promise more money and benefits, and in some rare cases they send the police. While Russia managed to avoid the Afghanistan war levels of active dissent, it looks like things are slowly bubbling over.

Depending on how long this thing drags on for, though...

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Yes but what about the Scotts, Welsh, and Irish, hmm?

They fall under the term of "Plucky Subjects", followed by Auzzies, Kiwis and Sikhs. :suicide:

No wonder we support anyone BUT England when it comes to sports.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Ms Adequate posted:

How does he reckon we'd do a regime change on ol' Vladdy boy without exerting at least the level of effort of all those things combined, if not uhhh you know getting into WW3?

I think his idea is something like, the various spy agencies could put pressure on Putin in a cheap way, since they have the skills and resources for that already, just need to be a bit more active and much more public. But yeah the risk calculus would be interesting

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

The general rule of thumb with modern warfare is 10x as many wounded as dead. A lot of wounded soldiers can be patched up and sent back in, but a lot of them can't.

This rule is based on modern armies which put a lot of effort into providing battlefield medicine and quick medivac to modern medical facilities. The previous rule was 3x wounded per dead, that's probably more applicable to the state of the current Russian army.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mulva posted:

Dead is one problem, wounded is a worse problem. Dead sucks, and is someone gone from the labor pool. Lose your legs? Kidneys get hosed up? You actively need continuing care. That's not to mention PTSD, or just flat out letting violet criminals out and GIVING them PTSD. Just because you survived doesn't mean you aren't an issue your state needs to deal with. And if the state doesn't deal with you? You are a problem worse than a dead man. So maybe 100k flat out dead, and then a couple hundred thousand more on top of that that are somewhere from "I cut my toe" to "I will need continuing medical care for the rest of my short life".

It's not great, and Russia can't just keep eating those figures year after year without collapsing. Same is true for Ukraine, but again: Everyone just sort of accepts that Ukraine is fighting for it's existence. It's wild that Russia is too.

Is russia even tending to their wounded in any appreciable sense anymore?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

spankmeister posted:

e: nvm, this joke won't go over well with current moderation's understanding of European humor.

ok ill bite: what do the rromani people have to do with this??

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

DandyLion posted:

Is russia even tending to their wounded in any appreciable sense anymore?

I'd imagine it depends on the unit. They're definitely not medivacking the Storm Z penal battalions or whatever. They want those people dead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ummel posted:

I'd imagine it depends on the unit. They're definitely not medivacking the Storm Z penal battalions or whatever. They want those people dead.

possibly but i keep reading stories of officers/soldiers just excuting their own wounded because their is no medivac abilities really. plus russia has never really been great with vets least in the last 50 years or so. like i doubt alot of places are ADA equivilan complient. they just give the widow a fridge and discount day tickets to loo loo land and thats that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ummel posted:

There are still quite a few coming back. Just recently a bona fide devil worshipper who was in prison for ritual murder of four teenagers got his pardon for serving in Storm Z. He was severely wounded but survived and returned home. I imagine he would be the first to be quietly disappeared without a trace not to deal with him in the future, but it may just be that they care about Storm Z exactly as little as about other non-elite units.

https://meduza.io/feature/2023/11/2...oyne-s-ukrainoy

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 21, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Eric Cantonese posted:

I suspect this line of discussion needs to fade out, but I just wanted to add that France had the British Empire (at its peak or close to it) on it side in 1914 with British troops on the ground.

I really hope we can help Ukraine enough. The horrible situation in Gaza has thrown a lot of things into doubt.

I think the point is that countries took more casualties in single battles in WW1 than either combatant has taken in the Russia-Ukraine war yet. The casualties are staggering for a European post-WW2 conflict, yes, and they are at the point where it will have long term demographical and economical impact. However, the situation is not nearly close to wars like the 30YW, the Napoleonic Wars, WW1 or WW2. And those wars didn't end because one side completely ran out of men to put in uniforms.

You can argue to what degree a casualty comparison is even relevant, as there's little point in handing out more rifles if the actual hardware that matters run out for Russia or Ukraine. It's not like you can raise a new corps, give them muskets, and send them to the front and make a difference in 2025. But it's a pretty safe bet that the war will be decided by other aspects before either side is left with some kind of volkssturm army, even though a lack of a steady stream of recruits will have an effect on the war effort.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 21, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's a non sequitur. The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict wasn't decided by running out of people who could hold a rifle, either. There's just no comparing WW1 warfare to this day at any level, it's so different you might as well reference the Punic wars.

e: what liljonas said in edit. What matters is the cost of outfitting and training and supplying a combat unit, and replacing it after a total loss.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 21, 2023

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Paladinus posted:

There are still quite a few coming back. Just recently a bona fide devil worshipper who was in prison for ritual murder of four teenagers got his pardon for serving in Storm Z. He was severely wounded but survived and returned home. I imagine he would be the first to be quietly disappeared without a trace not to deal with him in the future, but it may just be that they care about Storm Z exactly as little as about other non-elite units.

https://meduza.io/feature/2023/11/2...oyne-s-ukrainoy

God bless the denazifyers.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1727641659997831540?t=q9DiWbAlDhPiZJ1H4JaFKw&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sensible centrist: it's racist and dehumanising and cringe to refer to the Russian fighters as Orcs, have you ever heard of a class analysis of warfare?

Actual Russian fighters: LOOKS LIKE MEATS BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sensible centrist: it's racist and dehumanising and cringe to refer to the Russian fighters as Orcs, have you ever heard of a class analysis of warfare?

Actual Russian fighters: LOOKS LIKE MEATS BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS

Advising not to renegotiate this topic here

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
By no means. It IS definitely racist and cringe to say stupid poo poo like that, but there's a certain unavoidable irony there when Russia is pulling shock troops straight from the Monster Squad

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Wagnerdahmerung

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Advising not to renegotiate this topic here

I've been told that the Orc association comes from Russians themselves, except they use it in an endearing manner. Probably the number one reason I would never refer to them as such.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Nitrox posted:

I've been told that the Orc association comes from Russians themselves, except they use it in an endearing manner. Probably the number one reason I would never refer to them as such.

There's a speech in Zelenskyy's show Servant of the People in which he says about Ukrainians "we are not some borderland between elves and orcs." I always figured it might be influenced by that.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It originated from a LoTR fanfic that was published in Russia where the viewpoint characters were the Orcs (Orc being a slur for Mordorian Humans in this version), and is about Mordor being defeated by the perfidious Elves and Men who massacre most of the Orcs, and two Orcs teaming up with the last Nazgul (the titular Last Ringbearer) to break a mirror that allows the elves to stay in Arda, which frees all Men from the Elvish Tyranny.

It was pretty popular in Russia.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It's probably a bad sign for Ukrainian aid that Geert Wilders' party (PVV) received the most seats in the Dutch elections. From what I can tell, they seem like the Dutch version of AfD/National Rally.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Aren't the Dutch the most pro-Ukraine people in Europe because of MH17?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Like do you know what :geert: has stated about Ukraine, for instance? It's not like one party can form a majority government anyway.

And we have an example from Italy that right wing populists rising doesn't automatically mean that support for Ukraine will vanish.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Like do you know what :geert: has stated about Ukraine, for instance? It's not like one party can form a majority government anyway.

And we have an example from Italy that right wing populists rising doesn't automatically mean that support for Ukraine will vanish.

No need to be patronizing, because it sounds like you don't know what he's said:

quote:

In an X (formerly Twitter) update on Feb. 24, 2022, the day the full-scale invasion started, he also rejected military aid to Ukraine with a comment saying: “Do not let Dutch households pay the price for a war that is not ours.”

He also said “sanctions are ineffective and also bad for the Netherlands” in another X update. In 2016, Wilders and his party said “no” to the Association Treaty between Ukraine and the EU.

quote:

Like other far-right leaders on the continent, Wilders has praised Vladimir Putin’s rule, rallying against what he has described as “hysterical Russophobia” in Europe.

Four years after Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula, Wilders travelled to Moscow and met senior Russian officials in the Duma, a trip that was fiercely condemned by relatives of Dutch victims of the shooting down of flight MH17, who blamed him for ignoring Moscow’s part in the disaster.

He's also anti-EU, which means he has a chance of being obstructionist on EU-level initiatives on principle if PVV manages to form a coalition.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PVV is the largest party by far but needs at least two more moderate right wing parties to form a government. Those two being VVD, an establishment neoliberal center-right party (previously led by Mark Rutte), and the NSC, a newcomer but led by a former CDA, center-right christian democrat.

So two center-right parties at the minimum. Both those parties are more pro-Ukraine than PVV, VVD moreso than NSC, and both are more pro-EU, where NSC is more eurosceptic than VVD but neither would want to go NEXIT.

I seriously doubt them letting Wilders tear down Ukraine support completely or becoming Orban-lite. Still, it's clear that support for Ukraine isn't going to be what it was if Wilders manages to form a coalition. (Which, I think he will tbh, and sooner than many people think.)

The point is; he won't be a little Orban because he isn't elected as supreme leader, that's not how our system works. he has to make a deal with the other parties if he wants to rule.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, but Orban is likely more dependent on EU funds.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

No need to be patronizing, because it sounds like you don't know what he's said:

He's also anti-EU, which means he has a chance of being obstructionist on EU-level initiatives on principle if PVV manages to form a coalition.

Sorry, didn't intend to rub you the wrong way. You should have started with that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, but Orban is likely more dependent on EU funds.

Definitely. But what is your argument?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
WaPo says Russia wants China’s help building a tunnel to Crimea.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/24/russia-crimea-tunnel-china/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rinkles posted:

WaPo says Russia wants China’s help building a tunnel to Crimea.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/24/russia-crimea-tunnel-china/

Bold strategy of finding a bridge to sell