Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

14 gonna read you a bedtime story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnk6hWr8kZQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This is a better group than the guy presenting Unleashed.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Conveying a HUGE amount of character and backstory in like 3-4 lines, RTD IS BACK BAYBEEE

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zaroff posted:

I’m still astounded by the number of people who thought ‘RTD is back, we’re getting rid of Chibnall’s wokery’’

I myself think of it as ‘RTD is back, we’re getting rid of Chibnall’s wankery’’ :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"You pulled its tummy out!"

God I can't wait.

The_Doctor posted:

Happy 60th birthday, Doctor Who! :toot:

:cheers:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yannick_B posted:

Conveying a HUGE amount of character and backstory in like 3-4 lines, RTD IS BACK BAYBEEE

It's insane how much better the writing is from just one isolated scene, I already know more about Rose as a character than any of the main cast from the past few series. And I've never been one to push for DW needing the best visual effects... but the Meep looks amazing. I think they're doing some CGI work to manipulate the mouth, but if you told me it was a puppet I'd believe you.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

It's insane how much better the writing is from just one isolated scene, I already know more about Rose as a character than any of the main cast from the past few series. And I've never been one to push for DW needing the best visual effects... but the Meep looks amazing. I think they're doing some CGI work to manipulate the mouth, but if you told me it was a puppet I'd believe you.

It's a physical puppet but the full face is a CGI performance capture of Miriam Margolyes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Series trailer the BBC have put out narrated by the Doctor… :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_xYubUJFo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So good to hear the Doctor's voice! :neckbeard:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Please don't cry, Ncuti. :ohdear:

You'll be with us soon.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Something tells me he's not too bad at this acting thing

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Isn't the Daleks "film" meant to be out today?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's airing on BBC 4 right now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s surprisingly good, all edited tightly with a more modern soundtrack (even if it is a bit omnipresent).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The_Doctor posted:

It’s surprisingly good, all edited tightly with a more modern soundtrack (even if it is a bit omnipresent).

Aww, but I love those old muffled soundtracks. Tell me it's not like MURRAY GOOOLD when you say "modern"? Just some cleaner Radiophonic weirdness?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Currently it’s very 60s disco (and may in fact be Who music from the 70s/80s), so I’m intrigued to see who the composer is.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Currently it’s very 60s disco (and may in fact be Who music from the 70s/80s), so I’m intrigued to see who the composer is.

Mark Ayres

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The_Doctor posted:

Oh that's absolutely a-ok with me!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That wasn’t bad! Editing was a bit choppy in places, like rushing through the back half of the story (the Thals invading the city) in about 10 minutes made it feel too rushed. But generally I liked it! Gold’s end theme was really nice.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Haven't got around to watching this new version but I always thought the music to The Daleks aged really well and was among the best music in the original run.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/SafeSpaceDrWho/status/1727791919067972068

"The Wedding of River Song" remains, as ever, a banger of a track.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ok that clip with the Meep was so good that I'm going on spoiler block now from watching any other clips that come out, because I want to enjoy all of this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do think it’s interesting that the first special is straight up an adaptation of a comics story. A drat good one, to be sure.

Then again RTD also adapted Human Nature so it’s not that huge a surprise.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Oh my Giddy Aunt, am I actually excited about Doctor Who again?! I fell off after I saw the writing on the wall about Chibnall's run being Not Good™ (which was after I had fallen off because of Moffat, so same as it ever was, I suppose)

I'm excited to have RTD back, excited to see the Doctor and Donna together again, and very excited for Ncuti.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The mad lads did it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TinTower posted:

The mad lads did it.

They broke the layering!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Holy poo poo they really did!

https://twitter.com/tompratchett/status/1727813395427061993

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I remember at the time they said it was the intention to reshoot that scene with the current Doctor, did they ever end up doing it with Capaldi or Whitaker?

You should get a dropdown menu when you play the episode if you want Smith, Gatwa, or a cardboard cutout of Tom Baker.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Forgive me, what does break the layering mean or refer to? I'm getting later cakes and random episodes with layers in them

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Forgive me, what does break the layering mean or refer to? I'm getting later cakes and random episodes with layers in them

The original version of AAISAT hadn’t got the console layering right, so Matt appears in front of it in one shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9wtQay5yu8

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
This was an interesting watch for what they did and didn't include, especially re: Chibnall's era.

https://youtu.be/s46TZDTTFdM?si=jVZD-FA-bUkvN8Pt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

The mad lads did it.

:bisonyes:

I'm so excited for new Doctor Who :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

lines posted:

This was an interesting watch for what they did and didn't include, especially re: Chibnall's era.

https://youtu.be/s46TZDTTFdM?si=jVZD-FA-bUkvN8Pt

10: I'm 903-years-old!

Man, kinda crazy to think back to when he was that young.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

10: I'm 903-years-old!

Man, kinda crazy to think back to when he was that young.

Just a drip in the pond compared to, I dunno 4 billion years in a confession dial.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I remember at the time they said it was the intention to reshoot that scene with the current Doctor, did they ever end up doing it with Capaldi or Whitaker?

You should get a dropdown menu when you play the episode if you want Smith, Gatwa, or a cardboard cutout of Tom Baker.

Just a slow rotation into view of the wax figure

With the TWAAAAAANG sting

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
One day, 17 hours and 18 minutes to go.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fil5000 posted:

Sorry, what was Chibnell's "wokery"? Finally casting a woman or doing a couple of episodes that acknowledged that some of history is about people who aren't white?

Don't forget he also gave us characters like "Guy with one scene and three lines who shows up, announces he's gay, and is brutally murdered five seconds later and never mentioned again"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Plus, Chibnall made the Doctor a woman (and that was her sole defining characteristic).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Just a drip in the pond

No no, he went and picked up Rory to avoid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I'm excited to have RTD back, excited to see the Doctor and Donna together again, and very excited for Ncuti.

RTD is gonna RTD, and apparently Disney Plus has some sort of creative input into the shows, so if you go in expecting stuff to be like 1 level above all the other trash Disney Plus shows like She Hulk & Secret Invasion you might enjoy yourself.