Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they should be called butt wipes in English too

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Have a holiday helping of Otsikkoaika. In case you didn't know, it's an infrequently updating comic by Samson, of Dark Side of the Horse fame, riffing on actual headlines. There hasn't been an update in over a month, but here's a select few that I was capable of translating from finnish.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

amigolupus posted:

Huh, I guess the name of this character got changed for the ComicsKingdom version? I vaguely remember they had a Japanese name.
Yeah, I think it's a good move in retrospect, considering what the actual deal with the character is, but I also had a moment of pausing at this comic going 'something isn't right...'

Probably best for Shauna not to make her anonymous rocksona a different ethnicity than her, all things considered.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Have a holiday helping of Otsikkoaika. In case you didn't know, it's an infrequently updating comic by Samson, of Dark Side of the Horse fame, riffing on actual headlines. There hasn't been an update in over a month, but here's a select few that I was capable of translating from finnish.

i am not surprised, these are loving awesome.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 19: Maggie's Party Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Oh no, Lorraine Lumsford, the scourge of Tredregyn Parish. She’s the Bishop’s fixer and she really has it in for Billie and Reverend Penrose. Last appearance: The Silvery Moon.

As Allison mentioned, Lorraine Lumsford was the "Mystery Shopper" who arrived one night at the parish. She encountered Maggie who pretended to be Billie;

When she came back with the bishop to try and expose the problems at the parish, they encountered Billie who was just finishing up a successful food drive and covered for Maggie's error:

amigolupus posted:

Huh, I guess the name of this character got changed for the ComicsKingdom version? I vaguely remember they had a Japanese name.

Yeah, here are the panels from the original:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Also, in Thanksgiving related Breaking Cat News...

Georgia Dunn posted:

…I forgot! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I PUT IT IN NEWSPAPERS AND EVERYTHING!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃🍁🧡 “And an oh @#*1! to you too!”

From 2019:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

Everything about "Count My Toes" was thrown together in a panic. I was working on another book and this story became the poor relation.

What saved it from being totally without merit was the fact that i could sit in the garden in the sun and write it. So greatly did I enjoy sitting under my inexpensive canopy that most comics had twice as many words as were strictly necessary.

I realise now that this was a bad example to set the young.

Confessions: the title doesn't mean anything (although I pretended that it did). The plot reprised a few popular characters who had to all intents and purposes been put away because I had nothing left for them to do.

In delivering my warmed-over "greatest hits", Scary Go Round became "the comic where Shelley dies, repeatedly". Of course, in this story, she doesn't die. As any fool can see, she just has a series of rather unpleasant and unfortunate accidents.

And in its original form, the comics were lettered in a way that made them hard to read. But who hasn't made a mistake in their life? I bet you, reader, have made a mistake at least once. It happens! To compound insult and injury, I ended the story on a cliffhanger which I had no intention of ever resolving.

So, in the spirit of reconciliation, I've attempted to mend everything that ailed this tale. I've been through every panel mending rushed art, I've drawn new panels to fix cut corners, and I've written an ending that, if not exactly a satisfying pay off, should let people rest easy at night. [editor's note: you do not get this version. we are chuggin' from the internet archive faucet of SGR here.]

And I've even worked on repairing myself. As I nursed (through the late summer months) a drawing hand that had become little more than a withered claw, I made a decision. All comics would now be drawn by telekinesis (or as I dubbed it, "movey-mind").

Scary Go Round (May 10-13, 2004)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/11/51

Archie 10/25-27/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/28/51

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[a deep, rattling, soul-draining sigh that rapidly sounds like a long-overtaxed motor seizing, choking, dying and coughing up its lungs before finally sputtering to a silent final stop]

fine. get pregnant. who cares.

Delicious Nutritious Medical Autocannibalism. How Delightfully Horrifying.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

:science: The Cassini Division is due to orbital resonance with Mimas, not with Titan.

But I'm suddenly genuinely curious what percentage of the readership were able to keep not one but TWO lassos going simultaneously. To me it seems like a circus trick that almost no one would be able to do.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

Hal Foster goes to Cheddar Gorge for reference sketches; Ray Bailey went to Titan.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
RIP Sir Walter Crackers, you're a beautifully drawn bird and make me lonely for my old friend. Spud should be proud that you would want to eat his head.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hostile V posted:

[a deep, rattling, soul-draining sigh that rapidly sounds like a long-overtaxed motor seizing, choking, dying and coughing up its lungs before finally sputtering to a silent final stop]

gently caress you tree, dinosaurs were almost extinct when grass first showed up. It's only been around like 70 million years.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I see she shops at Ototo Design.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

I’m starting to catch up with my translation queue (two pages a day of a text-dense comic is hard during midterms) so I’ll switch to a page a day for the next chapter I think.

As for the essay, it’s a bit of a shame that this feels a little vague and wooly in English, in part because modes of “good” essay writing are so different in the two languages (and in part because my experience translating long-form writing is mostly limited to brochures, technical manuals and the like). It probably doesn’t really need clarifying, but Uchida’s point here about unwed mothers is that the only two “choices” are “mother” and “unwed mother” – the “unwed mother” is defined by her unmarried status, therefore the “mother” is necessarily presumed to be wed, and thus “motherhood” is inexorably tied up with the concept of marriage and in consequence (traditionally, which is the milieu in which she is living in Japan in 1993) to subservience to men.

I don't think this is vague and wooly in English at all. Granted I can't actually read the original essay, but your tone is quite accurate to the type of feminist writing which was common at the time (not just in Japan) that avoided formality and academic feminist language to structure stories in terms of personal narrative instead. The Vagina Monologues is probably the best known version of this style of writing, but Ensler didn't invent it, as can at least be partially guessed by it postdating these comics by three years. It's not entirely clear to me whether the essays also ran in the same magazine the comic did or if they were an extra added in for the manga volume you pulled these from, though.

I'm really enjoying these a lot, by the way, so please don't push yourself too hard and burn out if you've got other stuff going on regarding midterms. Is it too personal for me to ask whether you're a teacher or a student, and in what subject? I'm running behind myself, but I'll be darned if I don't take every chance I can get to encourage you friend :)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(June 16, 1918)

The Rectangle (Gasoline Alley)(April 20, 1919)

Little Nemo(November 10, 1907)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 05, 1960)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXT_IOt81Xs

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Hold onto that link for tomorrow too :v:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

No one "needs" to go Black Friday shopping. If you must shop, at least have the decency to do it in the comfort of your pajamas at home.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/23/03

Brenda Starr 2/18-20/52

Smokey Stover 3/9/58

Everyday Movies 12/29/36

"This fifty-cent apron C-3 gave me for Christmas ain't going to cover up her five weeks' back rent."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/17-19/42

It's More a Shelbyville Idea 3/9/58

250-mph monorails with low fares! Any day now!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Wallace coming after me today I see.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

It's More a Shelbyville Idea 3/9/58

250-mph monorails with low fares! Any day now!

There are currently eight suspended monorails in the world, and Germany has four of them. Watch this quality content for more details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeYTtlXywUI

Santa's Victory Christmas (November 24, 1942)

Mutts

A kid with thumbs to the rescue!

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 20, 1935)

Peanuts (November 26, 1976)

Well, that sucks. Now he can't do his Vince Guaraldi impersonation.

Crankshaft

A double dollop of Rip Haywire, because guess what I forgot yesterday.

Li'l Abner (May 7-9, 1935)

Thimble Theater (June 28, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 24-26, 1943)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 24, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

In hindsight, Leila's choice of reading material is a rather obvious clue to her identity.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "400 - Jucika, As A Witness"

"401 - Jucika Is A Little Vain"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Oh so it's OK if she murders Jampa now. All right fine.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm really enjoying these a lot, by the way, so please don't push yourself too hard and burn out if you've got other stuff going on regarding midterms. Is it too personal for me to ask whether you're a teacher or a student, and in what subject? I'm running behind myself, but I'll be darned if I don't take every chance I can get to encourage you friend :)
Thanks for the kind words! Based on stuff in the first essay, I believe they were written specially for the print collection, although they only appear in this first volume. I teach English and Linguistics at a university here (my reaction to Uchida’s writing style – or at least to my translations of it – may be influenced by the fact that I’m currently elbows-deep in my students’ essays, which means I’m, sadly, necessarily focused on a pretty narrow kind of college-level academic writing).

We Are Reproducing: Spoiled for definitely a fetish.

I think the baby being included in the reaction montage is what really makes this one.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

i mean, it's not like he has to raise her or otherwise really do much of anything dad-like. she's 20.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "400 - Jucika, As A Witness"

Jucika can't help it because she's hotter than you.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Copper Ma gets caught leaning the wrong way at first like an rear end in a top hat to finish the triple play.
All is right with the world.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (May 14-19, 2004)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Lesse here. I was wondering what it'd look like to count it out and this week is really bad for it. We've got 18 panels.

1: Greetings
2: Thanks
3: Mark has an idea
4: Thanks x2
5-6: Info
7: lovely Joke
8-13: Recap x1-6
14: Mark has an idea x2
15-18: Recap x7-9
18: Mark has an idea x3

So you could remove at least 11 of those panels and print 3 whole new strips of things happening or anything interesting being said. :v: I can only hope Mark goes home to Cherry in tomorrows strip to recap how this meeting went.