Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I never really watched Mad Men but John Hamm was awesome in Black Mirror so I'm cool with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

uber_stoat posted:

Bokeem/Mike might be the best in the whole series, hard act to follow.

yeah the way he goes from an almost cheerful "pretty unfriendly actually" to the switchblade unfolding "like you're doing me a favor" is A++++

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
No season 5 thread yet? Starts on the 21st of November. I'll at least link the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SCn6UDXw_I

Hoping for the best even if some parts give eye-rolling vibes.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 17, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Jon Hamm, so please be good, for his sake!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://x.com/DaveSFoley/status/1723034610416648356?s=20

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh yes more Fargo :toot:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was already going to watch the show but Dave Foley is in it? Gonna watch it even harder

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Last season was so far up its own rear end I gave up after like four episodes, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

I'd forgotten how much this show leans into anyone from the Upper Midwest seeming like the dumbest, most simpled-minded yokels possible, ya betcha!

e- One episode + 10 minutes in and this is already better than Season 4.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 22, 2023

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I was worried when previews mentioned that this season was taking place during the Trump presidency, but it's not as obnoxiously up its rear end as I was dreading. First two episodes paint a promising picture.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This is definitely feeling like some classic Fargo, in a potentially disturbing modern setting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Put in a request for a thread title change. In the meantime, here’s some posters!

Will watch the first two episodes tonight :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm only one episode in but so far it's drat good stuff. Really hoping it manages to keep up the quality.

The dream (memory?) of Jon Hamm's character leading the prayer at the table in front of that warped barn was deeply, deeply unsettling.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Whoever selects the music for this show just continues to nail it. Borderline unparalleled.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Liking the MacGyver vibes so far

Edit: And then the show makes the same comparison right afterwards

Luff fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 22, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Whoever selects the music for this show just continues to nail it. Borderline unparalleled.

she's brilliant. been on the show since season 2 I think. she did the music selection for Legion as well. super deep musical knowledge.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/interview-with-maggie-phillips-music-supervisor-moonlight-fargo-legion/

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

"You appear to have played a Tommy Lee drum solo all over your Mrs' facade."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow this season is a huge step up already. The air horn was funny as hell

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

The dude (who was terrifying) not even flinching as he just blew the poor bastard away was hilarious (and horrible!)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Haven't laughed while cursing in shock like that in a while.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jerusalem posted:

The dude (who was terrifying) not even flinching as he just blew the poor bastard away was hilarious (and horrible!)

He didn't even look! He just turned the rifle and fired.

Fartington Butts posted:

"You appear to have played a Tommy Lee drum solo all over your Mrs' facade."

The chokehold and then throwing the hot coffee in his face.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 23, 2023

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

This Season's Organized Crime family may be the worst one yet. Whole pack of deplorables.

Good start, I really hope that the home improvements pay off.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fargo good

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm really enjoying these first two episodes so far but have 3 stupid problems I'll throw into spoilers since folks are probably just starting up on it:

1: If this is 2019, why is it a problem that the sheriff deleted the photo from the cop's phone? She has a department she reports to... just ask them to SMS the photo again. Seems like an incredibly silly contrivance that she just doesn't have the photo anymore because this dillweed deleted it off her local drive.
2: I really appreciated that whatever Dorothy was spreading across the entrance of the gas station was an un-fired Chekov's Gun (entertainment too often requires everything set up to be activated in some way so seeing a precaution going unneeded is nicely immersive) but... what was it exactly and how was it going to help her at all? I'm just confused about that. I thought it was oil that she'd set on fire or some kind of liquid that would make the guy slip as he entered but without the trap activating, I don't know what the point of it was.
3: 2 episodes in and no pointless paranormal activity. I wonder if Hawley decided to finally do away with it after it being so useless in Season 4?

I love that the daughter is just fully supportive of her parents and doesn't let grandma ruin her day. I've wanted more good Jennifer Jason Leigh since Hateful 8 and I'm feasting now. (Twin Peaks just wasn't enough!)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 23, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

She was pouring motor oil and yeah, it was to make the guy slip but it just didn’t work. The prophetic dream reminded me of Raising Arizona and the lady cop’s husband reminded me of Brad Pitt’s character in Burn After Reading.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ruddiger posted:

She was pouring motor oil and yeah, it was to make the guy slip but it just didn’t work. The prophetic dream reminded me of Raising Arizona and the lady cop’s husband reminded me of Brad Pitt’s character in Burn After Reading.
Haha yeah he gave me extreme "not surviving this season" vibes.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DaveKap posted:

I'm really enjoying these first two episodes so far but have 3 stupid problems I'll throw into spoilers since folks are probably just starting up on it:

1: If this is 2019, why is it a problem that the sheriff deleted the photo from the cop's phone? She has a department she reports to... just ask them to SMS the photo again. Seems like an incredibly silly contrivance that she just doesn't have the photo anymore because this dillweed deleted it off her local drive.

I work in local news and as someone who regularly interacts with police PIOs I can assure you that many of them barely know how to email a picture, let alone think of ways to recover deleted images from their phones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man, I hope it keeps this quality up, the first two episodes have been great and they're already set the scene for a lot of fantastic potential character interactions.

The scene between Dot and Lorraine in the kitchen was fantastic, and I loved every single moment with Jon Hamm.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

Fargo good
Sofargo so good

at least ep. 1

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

ruddiger posted:

She was pouring motor oil and yeah, it was to make the guy slip but it just didn’t work.

Seemed like he might have slipped when she attacked him with the shovel. IDK though. It happened really fast and I couldn’t tell one way or the other when I watched live

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

eighty-four merc posted:

Seemed like he might have slipped when she attacked him with the shovel. IDK though. It happened really fast and I couldn’t tell one way or the other when I watched live
Nah, I was so busy trying to figure out if I was a bad TV watcher that I overanalyzed the scene re-watching. As far as the direction and cinematography communicates, the hitman is simply too good to fall for a trick like slipping at the entrance. When Dorothy hits him with a shovel, nothing is telegraphed that the reason he falls is because of the oil. It is 100% the impact of the shovel on his head.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I know the reason they did was because it makes for better dramatic television but it irked me that she didn’t just shoot the guy while he was knocked out and the cop just stood there out of cover when he was in front of the gas station.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

DaveKap posted:

Nah, I was so busy trying to figure out if I was a bad TV watcher that I overanalyzed the scene re-watching. As far as the direction and cinematography communicates, the hitman is simply too good to fall for a trick like slipping at the entrance. When Dorothy hits him with a shovel, nothing is telegraphed that the reason he falls is because of the oil. It is 100% the impact of the shovel on his head.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I was contemplating my own overanalysis rewatch so thanks for sparing me

Totally makes sense that he would be too surefooted to slip in the motor oil since every other scene with the character shows him as being generally competent and efficient with his movement

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hard to believe Jennifer Jason Leigh, mother of a teenager in this show, is 61.

"As my attorney, I authorize you to knock his loving block off." I hate and also like Dandy/Lockjaw Mom in that Bill Rawls-in-The Wire way; the character is an awful human being, but also fun and well-played by the actor.

Sheriff Morals' son seems like a bad Justified goon. This is not a bad thing.

e- Dot and Scotty Home Alone-ing the house was fun. This absolutely blows the doors off S4, but why they hell do they have to have the movie-style, 10 minute end credits. I keep hoping I get 1:06 of show when I get :59.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 24, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Sheriff Morals' son seems like a bad Justified goon. This is not a bad thing.

Love that he keeps eating poo poo, it's amazing how quickly I hated him once he appeared on screen :allears:

Also thought it hilarious how unimpressed the state trooper and the cop were by him trying to leave with a badass line. He so clearly thinks he's a tough guy and appears to be completely unaware that the only reason anybody might fear him or respect his authority is because of his dad.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ballz posted:

I work in local news and as someone who regularly interacts with police PIOs I can assure you that many of them barely know how to email a picture, let alone think of ways to recover deleted images from their phones.

To be fair in that scene I figured it was more that she wouldn't be able to show the picture to the wounded cop, not so much that she would never be able to get the picture back in some way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SixFigureSandwich posted:

To be fair in that scene I figured it was more that she wouldn't be able to show the picture to the wounded cop, not so much that she would never be able to get the picture back in some way.

This is 2019. The local police fell for some weird scam, which made them transform all perp shots to NFTs and he deleted the source.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hard to believe Jennifer Jason Leigh, mother of a teenager in this show, is 61.
Huh? She's the grandmother of the teenager.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In regards to the photo, I assume Deputy Dipshit probably thought the delay in getting the ID made would allow him the time to "easily" capture Dot. He was still convinced the original kidnapper was a loser despite the fact he managed to escape a near point blank execution attempt while surrounded on all sides. He strikes me as one of those guys who is utterly convinced he's an accomplished badass despite having nothing to back that up at all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife didn't recognize that Deputy Gator (he even sounds like a Justified jobber) was Steve from Stranger Things.

But she didn't recognize Jennifer Jason Leigh either.

This is her first season of Fargo, after completely refusing to watch any of the previous ones with me. We are both 100% on board so far. It is already leaving season 4 in the dust, and I suspect it will be much better than 3 as well (where the standouts for me were the villain and the casting as a whole, but not necessarily the plot or other characters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Huh? She's the grandmother of the teenager.

I got the two confused. I remembered her reddish brown hair in Hateful 8 (literally the only thing I know her from) and, not paying close enough attention/without looking closely, assumed she was in the starring role.