Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yeah his denial is ridiculous, like thinking he can still live his life with extreme fast growing debt to violent loan sharks. Especially as it must have been obvious to his wife that he was gambling as they’d been through that before and what other explanation could he have for staying out all night, especially with a store manager job when his son works there too, can’t claim to constantly have inventory day.

Crushing how he only reaches out to Vic when he’s lost all possible money & abandoned his family without a word, & Vic is still ready to help him even when he’s cursing out his sister until he realizes how far gone he is. Kinda doubt he’s gonna get any future chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's grimly funny but also deeply depressing when his wife is talking to Carmela and admits she knows he's back gambling again, but is relieved that at least the store is in her name and therefore safe from his gambling, having no idea just how deep he's managed to sink his hooks into feeding into his addiction. I've mentioned it before but Artie showing up to show off the great deal he got is almost like the universe (or, well, the show) is being especially cruel to her.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I appreciated that at the end of the series, both Janice and Tony became their mom in different ways

she’s one “no” from her daughter away from breaking down in tears over how she gave her life, etc

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Crushing how he only reaches out to Vic when he’s lost all possible money & abandoned his family without a word, & Vic is still ready to help him even when he’s cursing out his sister until he realizes how far gone he is. Kinda doubt he’s gonna get any future chances.

isn’t Vic pretty clearly telling him to stay away from the family and get help? he only helps out his son with college funds because of course Davey burnt through that as well

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

only after davey admits it's all gone, including the college fund, at first he opens with "we're gonna figure out a repayment plan and get through this"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got a coworker who loves to gamble, will be playing online blackjack on his lunch and stuff. Always tells us about the wins, never the losses. Makes it seem like he's always up. I know it cant be true. I hate to say it but I feel like giving the blackjack a try myself. "Hell, I'm good with numbers" I think to myself. I probably wont ever actually do it though.

I almost hate sometimes that I watched this show. All I do is pick apart every other show now. I watched Hannibal when it was on, but haven't rewatched since until my wife and I started watching a couple weeks ago. Its pretty heavy. No room for humor, just serious all the time, too much really. It doesn't allow itself to build up any tension or suspense because of it. People are just unable to die somehow. Everyone talks like they are reciting Shakespeare all the time. Things so often heavy handed, thats what really stands out. The greatness of the Sopranos lies in its realism and how it lets the viewer draw conclusions instead of spelling it out all the time. Still a lot of shows that have come after it have not followed those lessons.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A big part of what made the Sopranos work is that there is no musical score. Sure there are songs that play here and there, but most conversations and arguments play out with absolutely nothing but maybe sound effects (rain, a plane taking off, food cooking) in the background. There is no “Tony & Carmela’s Theme” when they’re being nice to each other, no danger music when Richie shows up, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, that never even occurred to me to notice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hannibal doesn't have humor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

I mean sure, it's not the same kind of comedy as Sopranos (they are VERY different shows!), but this was the show that dedicated half an episode to one poor schmuck's entire life falling apart so badly that the soundtrack of the show sounded like it was deliberately making fun of him as he stumbled from one disaster to the next, the serial killer who hated people who could have children and then found out his most recent victim was his unknown kid and basically went,"Awww phooey" about it, and of course Mikkelsen's reactions were always loving gold

Tooth Fairy: Dr. Lecter? I am becoming! I have transcended my flesh! I am.... THE GREAT RED DRAGON! :phone:
Hannibal: Neat! :phoneb:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ulvir posted:

she’s one “no” from her daughter away from breaking down in tears over how she gave her life, etc

And let's not forget that 'sacre blue, where is me mama' is hilarious and all but Janice did basically write off her son.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At first Janice would kindly remind people that Harpo changed his name to Hal. By the end of the series she spits it out with venom. And other than calling him a street person she never has anything else to say about him. Just a complaint and maybe a ploy for sympathy.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Diegetic sound only ftw

The one instance I can think of where this doesn't happen is the song that starts at the end of Cold Cuts (incidentally, I recently watched Leaving Las Vegas and was surprised to see Mike Figgis, who directed this episode with its infamous cut, also directed the movie- it was pretty good)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pope Corky the IX posted:

At first Janice would kindly remind people that Harpo changed his name to Hal. By the end of the series she spits it out with venom. And other than calling him a street person she never has anything else to say about him. Just a complaint and maybe a ploy for sympathy.

I've always had this connection in my brain between 'Harpo is a street person in Montreal' and 'Bobby does his first hit in Montreal after he marries Janice' but I can't figure out what it means or if it's just a coincidence.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jerusalem posted:

Hannibal doesn't have humor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

I mean sure, it's not the same kind of comedy as Sopranos (they are VERY different shows!), but this was the show that dedicated half an episode to one poor schmuck's entire life falling apart so badly that the soundtrack of the show sounded like it was deliberately making fun of him as he stumbled from one disaster to the next, the serial killer who hated people who could have children and then found out his most recent victim was his unknown kid and basically went,"Awww phooey" about it, and of course Mikkelsen's reactions were always loving gold

Tooth Fairy: Dr. Lecter? I am becoming! I have transcended my flesh! I am.... THE GREAT RED DRAGON! :phone:
Hannibal: Neat! :phoneb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texIcABh43U

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think she talks more about her Epstein-Barr than Harpo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Still can't believe Phil transformed into a house.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Guardian - Suzanne Shepherd, GoodFellas and The Sopranos actor, dies aged 89

Imagine if the only two performances you were known for were Karen Hill’s mother and Carmela Soprano’s mother.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Guardian - Suzanne Shepherd, GoodFellas and The Sopranos actor, dies aged 89

Imagine if the only two performances you were known for were Karen Hill’s mother and Carmela Soprano’s mother.

I'm reminded originally they wanted Bracco for Carmela but she didn't want to be the gangster's wife again.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
89. She was just a kid.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
For years I thought she was constantly yelling “you” instead of “Hugh”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently she was Tony Todd's primary teacher at his acting school. Well done.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 21, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I saw that movie Medicine Man a little while ago and wow she was rough at that point in her career

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The man hasn’t been able to digest a decent meal in six weeks!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

For years I thought she was constantly yelling “you” instead of “Hugh”

He's not Hughish. Did you know how these people live?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

WHERE WERE YOU, WHY DIDN’T YOU CAWL!?!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

she was a cultured italian

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I don't buy the flashback or whatever it's supposed to be at the end of All Happy Families- I doubt they would have been living in that house when AJ was that young.

The house makes sense for where Tony is by the end of the series, being the acting boss- but the Aprile house that was originally intended is far more in line with Tony's original position and is a more New Jersey vibe in general. The more I think about it, the house, like the choice of actor for Tony, is one of those little details that would have made for an entirely different show.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hugh built that house and with the help of Pudgy Walsh saved a ton of money by skipping all the bureaucratic boolshit!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While the house is pretty crazy for "just" a captain, the impression I always got was that after Tony, Jackie and Sil (I think he was in on it?) robbed Feech and got the pass, Tony and Jackie in particular proved to be fantastic earners which basically gave them a lot more leeway than others might get, and they had their fingers in a shitload of pies. When Old Man Dimeo went to prison, Jackie got the nod and Tony was basically his top guy because nobody else was even close to their status, including - much to his chagrin - Uncle Junior.

It's one of the common things in the series, that money overwhelms all of the "rules", and one of the (many) reasons Tony can't stand Ralph, because Ralph is similarly getting away with (literal!) murder because he's bringing in so much money but Tony doesn't like it when somebody else is doing it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jerusalem posted:

It's one of the common things in the series, that money overwhelms all of the "rules", and one of the (many) reasons Tony can't stand Ralph, because Ralph is similarly getting away with (literal!) murder because he's bringing in so much money but Tony doesn't like it when somebody else is doing it.

Also, the only reason I think he pumped the brakes on instantly murdering Vito and standing up to the crew had everything to do with the money Vito brought in and far less than "who's gonna take care of his kids?" or anything he learned in therapy.

Yeah...they didn't do nothin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, the only reason I think he pumped the brakes on instantly murdering Vito and standing up to the crew had everything to do with the money Vito brought in and far less than "who's gonna take care of his kids?" or anything he learned in therapy.

Yeah...they didn't do nothin.
Yeah whenever the other members of the crew talked about wanting to go kill Vito themselves, Tony would veto that because Vito was the best earner.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah whenever the other members of the crew talked about wanting to go kill Vito themselves, Tony would veto that because Vito was the best earner.

I think he’s pretty explicit about it yeah. And he’s lovely to Carlo (I think) after because he’s not doing nearly as good a job filling Vito’s shoes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think he’s pretty explicit about it yeah. And he’s lovely to Carlo (I think) after because he’s not doing nearly as good a job filling Vito’s shoes

That's right. Carlo was the one who acted the most bloodthirsty about Vito. Apparently he was the head of Jimmy Altieri's crew after Jimmy's untimely passing.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Whatever happened there

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Blessing the new TV with the latest Sopranos re-watch. Mikey Palmice is a such a loving psycho. Also thought it was kinda weird Junior came along with Mikey to whack Brendan. Seems like the sort of thing you would want a lot of distance from.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

TheKingslayer posted:

Blessing the new TV with the latest Sopranos re-watch. Mikey Palmice is a such a loving psycho. Also thought it was kinda weird Junior came along with Mikey to whack Brendan. Seems like the sort of thing you would want a lot of distance from.

Season one was weird, you even got Tony pulling a gun out of a fish and doing a hit in broad daylight instead of delegating it to someone smarter

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

The show's pretty bad at picking music,

still reeling from this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

still reeling from this

I mean, every episode opens with a real stinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Like, was the intro sequence itself supposed to change as well as the song for when Chase wanted each episode to start with a different song?