Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

you can just barely make the jump too but then trying to climb the vine will drop you off so it made me feel like i was just mistiming the jump. that's the one thing i had to look at a walkthrough but i bashed my head into the screen for about 10 minutes before that

you know it’s a faithful recreation when you find the answer to that jump in a 15-year old Gamefaqs thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

^burtle posted:

Which thread do I go to complain about Mario RPG telling me I’m vastly under leveled each time I go to the next screen. Fuckin a.

What? That's a thing? It yells at you when you're underlevelled?

Really weird but also lmao how many fights have you been avoiding, my dude?

Oxxidation posted:

did you keep missing that one jump because you didn’t know about the invisible platform too

I just did that segment last night and found the invisible platform by accident after waaaaaaaaaaaay too many attempts. Still took several more attempts to actually nail the jump, but I got it!

Now if only I could remember where you get the Fertilizer. I got the Seed but I've forgotten where the other one is. I want my giant novelty sized Koopa shell.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

I just did that segment last night and found the invisible platform by accident after waaaaaaaaaaaay too many attempts. Still took several more attempts to actually nail the jump, but I got it!

Now if only I could remember where you get the Fertilizer. I got the Seed but I've forgotten where the other one is. I want my giant novelty sized Koopa shell.

That jump gets me every time I replay the game without fail until I accidentally find the platform.

off the edge of SE Nimbusland after Valentina fight

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they added a hint to one of the trickier hidden treasures in nimbus castle but not for the fertilizer as far as i could tell, and I'm glad

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shyfted One posted:

That jump gets me every time I replay the game without fail until I accidentally find the platform.

off the edge of SE Nimbusland after Valentina fight

I think I vaguely remember that. Bless you kind goon!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Silver Falcon posted:

Hit Moleville and was losing like half health when I biffed the block so I assumed I was under where I should be, but also I’m like level 7-8 I think and still only getting like 2 xp from some fights.

Assumed I needed to grind and based on that linked strategy guide, I was right lmao.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

you know it’s a faithful recreation when you find the answer to that jump in a 15-year old Gamefaqs thread

Had to do the same to find the invisible chest in the beginning of Land's End lol was kinda salty that you don't get anything for finding all the hidden treasure.

This also made me realize they did actually make one map alteration in the forest maze and move the section with the save block from before the maze to before the boss hidden treasure included.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zuzie posted:

Can I say that the beanstalk section in Mario RPG sucks? Because it really sucks.

It's like two screens

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jet Force is enough for me to upgrade my membership to play it finally on my switch. So pumped.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Guess I got too high last night. Sat down on lunch and was absolutely cookin in Moleville.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

^burtle posted:

Guess I got too high last night. Sat down on lunch and was absolutely cookin in Moleville.

That track is fuckin great. I similarly found myself just sitting there listening to it while on an edible got like ten minutes before I realized I hadn't moved Mario in a while

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
This is awesome, I guess I'll buy the game.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

^burtle posted:

Assumed I needed to grind and based on that linked strategy guide, I was right lmao.
Yeah, some of it is almost effortless.

Like when the Shy Guys attack Mushroom Kingdom, you can just stay on the castle steps, letting endless waves hit you first until you get tired of it and take care of them in the castle.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I actually got stuck in a corner, trapped in an endless loop there, and had to die to start from scratch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got 100 jumps. It was against the last post game boss in the game. Specifically a part of him I didn't realize was immune to jumps.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I got 100 jumps. It was against the last post game boss in the game. Specifically a part of him I didn't realize was immune to jumps.

Is that required? (The enemy being immune to jumps)

I cannot get over 24 and I don’t know why

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mezzanon posted:

It helps because you can keep trying over and over. And because the enemy doesn't react there's no distracting animation, you can focus just on Mario. If I were trying to grind it out I would use a spiny. But I just got lucky and got in a groove on this enemy by coincidence.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mezzanon posted:

You playing docked? You could have input lag making the timing harder. I can't play yoshi races without going handheld because of it.

So long as you're just going for jump count, you can use the earlier times item to retry super jump without it using up FP.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just watched the Mario movie finally and I loved every second of it. My son and I restarted it immediately.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mezzanon posted:

its giving me flashbacks to the jumprope in FF9

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I just watched the Mario movie finally and I loved every second of it. My son and I restarted it immediately.

:hai:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It helps because you can keep trying over and over. And because the enemy doesn't react there's no distracting animation, you can focus just on Mario. If I were trying to grind it out I would use a spiny. But I just got lucky and got in a groove on this enemy by coincidence.

I'm pretty sure you can't use the Jump Boots if you're going for 100 jumps so using a spiny would be. Impractical.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

YggiDee posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't use the Jump Boots if you're going for 100 jumps so using a spiny would be. Impractical.

Jumping on a spikes enemy doesn't hurt you. They're just immune. 100 jumps is 100 jumps whether you do damage or not.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ooooh I was assuming it was like all the other Mario RPGs where jumping on spike enemies hurts you.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m wanking alright

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I will, thank you Wario

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Wildtortilla posted:

I enjoyed it but those music drops are so so bad. I would probably pay money for a version with orchestrated music replacing all of the licensed stuff

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I enjoyed it but those music drops are so so bad. I would probably pay money for a version with orchestrated music replacing all of the licensed stuff

I agree. There’s so much music available from the series I can’t fathom why they used all those lovely “real” music tracks. They were the weakest part of an otherwise very enjoyable flick.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Oxxidation posted:

I’ve got my old SNES players guide next to me when I play and aside from a couple of item renames, it hasn’t steered me wrong yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

YggiDee posted:

Ooooh I was assuming it was like all the other Mario RPGs where jumping on spike enemies hurts you.

Spiked damage wasn't implemented until Paper Mario. In Super Mario RPG they either take double damage from an element, no damage modified, or are immune entirely. No other reactions.

There was a glitch in the original where super jumps in the Punchinello battle were not tracked, but maybe the remake fixed that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like that jump is an element alongside fire lightning and ice

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I picked up Xenoblade 2 from black Friday deals and love it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I picked up Xenoblade 2 from black Friday deals and love it.

I got a few hours into it and it felt more like an interactive movie than a game.

I get my switch back tomorrow. Stoked. Going to start Mario rpg but will be interrupted by having to go chop down a tree (boo) and football (yay).
Goals for the end of the year:
Complete Mario rpg
Complete botw (I really just need to go beat gannondorf.)
Eat a Costco pumpkin pie.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

otter posted:

I got a few hours into it and it felt more like an interactive movie than a game.

Get a third party member before you write it off, there's a lot of world building upfront

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Xenoblade 2 front loads a lot of its worst stuff but if you make it through Chapter 2 and you don't hate it, the rest of the game is significantly better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Started Super Mario RPG Remake and it's a very sweet little game. :allears:

I've also found it works perfectly with the Nintendo Online SNES controller, so I'm playing it the true proper way! :goonsay:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i use my snes controller for as many games as is possible

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Anyone play Jusant on gamepass? I can so easily see that type of art direction/graphics being what whatever the next generation Zelda looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

otter posted:

Complete botw (I really just need to go beat gannondorf.)

I'm in the same boat. Towards the end I started hunting a bunch of Lynels and then I moved on and never finished.

It's important to have goals though, gl