Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Negotiations can only begin with Ukraine accepting Russia's position that Ukraine is in the wrong for existing and acknowledging that a compromise has to be made. This is a pretty wild starting point.

What does a compromise even look like?

On the extreme Russian end of the scale Ukraine agrees that they were wayward russians all along, deliver Zelenskyy's head on a platter and voluntarily surrender their statehood to join the big happy federation so their children can be conscripted to fight in the Polish and Baltic trenches when it's those people's turn to agree they were never not russians.

On the extreme Ukraine end of the scale Ukraine maintains that they're in fact Ukrainians in a sovereign land called Ukraine and they're emphatically not Russians. Their borders are unchanged from those internationally recognized in 1991 at the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Also, start paying a gigaton of reparations.

The “compromise” will be Putin keeping Crimea / Donbas / Luhansk aka what he wanted all along and the “compromise” part will be graciously allowing an independent government in Kyiv for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The inflation figures are sort of right. Russia has been subsiding a good chunk of stuff so the end product the public buys has been offset by the government. And it did work but this is only a band aid and not a fix. Russia has been doing a lot to keep the jenga tower propped up. Increasing interest rates, using foreign reserves, using it's wealth fund, forcing big domestic companies to deposit 75% of profits into Russian banks as Rubles, selling gold, selling cheap oil. There's a long list of poo poo but they've done but not been able to fix it yet, only stabilise it for now. But inflation is going up and they are running a deficit. It's market is also starting to show signs of wobbling again.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Zopotantor posted:

I don’t like the unique unit, and I sure hope they won’t need that last bonus from the unique building.

I've been talking to some Ukranians and Ukraine experts in country and Azov isn't quite the white nationalist radical front it used to be (although I'm pretty quarantined from media in my specific living situation). I think that they might have a way to go but I also don't get the "all Azov are into racial purity" thing that was the common belief.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ehh not as bad of a white nationalist is still a white nationalist and that's good enough for me personally to think badly of them. Their poo poo beliefs thawing though is a good start and that's the most i'll hand to them.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1727678895183323463

UA is saved

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1727579930731467163

Effectively, by car it's 2800km from St Petersburg to Helsinki with a 30+ hours travel time making the trip from Murmansk by car much closer. Plus, the roads from St Petersburg going north to the Finnish Raja-Jooseppi crossing are said to be only for the insanely adventurous.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

New war on the rocks episode dropped.
  • Michael Kofman criticises the US pretty heavily for not deploying military observers to Ukraine. He thinks it contributes to American misunderstandings of what is going on on the ground and demonstrates a lack of interest in the conflict. He notes that the UK does have SAS personnel observing in Ukraine.
  • Kofman remains quite bearish regarding the balance of equipment between Ukraine and Russia, pointing out that while the Ukrainians were the first to widely adopt drones, Russia has a much greater capacity to build them at industrial scale and has done just that. When it comes to artillery shells, the balance looks even worse.
  • Manpower remains an issue for both sides. Russia might be holding back mobilization before the presidential "elections," while Ukrainian efforts are more likely hampered by issues in the training pipeline, especially the mass firings of corrupt draft officers.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

the popes toes posted:

Effectively, by car it's 2800km from St Petersburg to Helsinki with a 30+ hours travel time making the trip from Murmansk by car much closer. Plus, the roads from St Petersburg going north to the Finnish Raja-Jooseppi crossing are said to be only for the insanely adventurous.

wonder if the drawing was supposed to look like a dick

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

the popes toes posted:

Looks like a bit of a joyride.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Detenté is stored in the balls, or something.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

He was probably told to do this by one of his clone dogs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Finally! What does he want in return? To end friendship with the UK and help him invade the Falklands?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Tai posted:

Ehh not as bad of a white nationalist is still a white nationalist and that's good enough for me personally to think badly of them. Their poo poo beliefs thawing though is a good start and that's the most i'll hand to them.

As I understand it from speaking to Ukranians here on the ground, many of the members were broken up and transferred to less radicalized units. That gave them the necessary culture shock to kick the white nationalism.

There are several memorials to Azov soldiers that I've walked past in Kyiv and it's really hard to look down on the men and women there, especially with this knowledge in hand.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Merdle posted:

As I understand it from speaking to Ukranians here on the ground, many of the members were broken up and transferred to less radicalized units. That gave them the necessary culture shock to kick the white nationalism.

There are several memorials to Azov soldiers that I've walked past in Kyiv and it's really hard to look down on the men and women there, especially with this knowledge in hand.

Also IIRC the white nationalists were only the small core that made up the original group that exists before they were actually put into the military, and they were the ones who got moved around. The rest of the group was just people from the place of Azov?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I think a lot of people forget that Azov is a place and not just some made up thing for white supremacy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/TechInsider/status/1727771834349674917?s=20

Russia has positioned itself as world leader of the new currency

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

I think a lot of people forget that Azov is a place and not just some made up thing for white supremacy.

Yeah you get a bunch of shitheads wondering why the Sea of Azov is named the way it is

Zeromus
Dec 11, 2004

the popes toes posted:

I believe I read that Russia is flying the refugees to the border(or closest airport).

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

https://x.com/TechInsider/status/1727771834349674917?s=20

Russia has positioned itself as world leader of the new currency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2IYIJc1f00

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I have a question about Finnish/Russian relations. Why are there so many Russian/Finish co-produced movies? I've seen a ton of them on MST3K.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Lammasu posted:

I have a question about Finnish/Russian relations. Why are there so many Russian/Finish co-produced movies? I've seen a ton of them on MST3K.

Because they are neighboring countries and artists are not always like Putin is.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Lammasu posted:

There are? I'm Finnish and can't really think of any off the top of my head except this random one from the Soviet era.

Co-productions with other neighbors (especially Sweden) are quite prevalent, but Russia, hardly.

e: this is fully subjective and I don't have any insight into movie production. It's quite possible I just haven't paid attention.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zat posted:

There are? I'm Finnish and can't really think of any off the top of my head except this random one from the Soviet era.

Co-productions with other neighbors (especially Sweden) are quite prevalent, but Russia, hardly.

e: this is fully subjective and I don't have any insight into movie production. It's quite possible I just haven't paid attention.

Jack Frost is the one that comes to my head. They had some others. One was called the Day the Earth Froze with something called a sampo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lammasu posted:

Selection bias. There aren't a particularly large number, but they're all terrible and perfect MST3K material.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://metro.co.uk/2023/11/23/putin-pardons-second-cannibal-killer-a-week-19867636/

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That is quite a sentence.

How many cannibalism killers are there in Russia?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Cannibal soldiers simplify logistics.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cannibals who kill, or killers who target cannibals?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Xenocides posted:

Cannibal soldiers simplify logistics.

said he was a cannibal soldier
deadbeat blyatsta
cannibal soldier in the heart of moskovskaya oblast

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

That is quite a sentence.

How many cannibalism killers are there in Russia?

They were Fine Young Men until she drove them crazy.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What a hero of the republic

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Look western decadence made them cannibalism

A little Russian Imperialism will make the men ready to eat wed women and make new Russian children

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Merdle posted:

As I understand it from speaking to Ukranians here on the ground, many of the members were broken up and transferred to less radicalized units. That gave them the necessary culture shock to kick the white nationalism

When was this alleged to have taken place?

Azov battalion was widely recognized as neo nazi paramilitary force before the war, up until 2021 or so. The cause for the recent rehabilitation of its image should be obvious, I’d hope.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Deteriorata posted:

They were Fine Young Men until she drove them crazy.
"Johnny... won't you go on home....."

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nooner posted:

Haven't read thread in a long rear end time like 3 months has anything actually happened or like are they still fighting in bakhmut and poo poo

No idea but sup Nooner

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Powered Descent posted:

Cannibals who kill, or killers who target cannibals?

Those aren't mutually exclusive.

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
A cannibal who eats exclusively other cannibals. God's favorite monster. Riddled with prions.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
The Russian army ouroboros'

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

A cannibal who eats exclusively other cannibals. God's favorite monster. Riddled with prions.

Captain America's super soldier serum is a prion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lammasu posted:

Captain America's super soldier serum is a prion.

A pizza is a prion.