Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

victorious posted:

They technically should be able to incorporate road tolling into the same system as they could geo-fence certain areas for extra tolling. Although there'll no doubt be workarounds for it in similar ways to how people disconnect their odometers to dodge paying RUCs now.

It's pretty much impossible to do this anymore unless you have a really old car, the odo/speed comes from an aggregate of the ABS wheel speed sensors nowadays, you'd have to disconnect your entire instrument cluster and that would cause a host of other issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
LOL so now the govt is straight up gonna have a database of all our movements great well done

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good thing nobody is carrying around a GPS unit with all their details everywhere they go 24/7, that would be pretty Orwellian

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Slavvy posted:

It's pretty much impossible to do this anymore unless you have a really old car, the odo/speed comes from an aggregate of the ABS wheel speed sensors nowadays, you'd have to disconnect your entire instrument cluster and that would cause a host of other issues

Oh yeah you're probably right. I just remember working with guys who did this back in the day. One of them had a toggle switch he could flick on and off because disconnecting the odo also stopped his speedo working. The other installed a HUD speedo in parallel so it didn't matter that his original one didn't work anymore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I was one of those people lol I just used a GPS as a speedo and left the speed sensor unplugged

You'd struggle to find a car newer than the mid 00's that still lets you do that

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Huh, four year terms.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

RUC on EVs was going to be a thing anyway and the end of Clean Car rebate

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Universal RUCs make sense, but the problem is you need some way of incentivising more efficient vehicles which it doesn't sound like we're going to get.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i am a libertarian and i believe more efficient vehicles will naturally be prioritised by the perfectly rational actors within the free market without government incentives

on an unrelated note, i also believe that we shouldn't review the current government incentives to polluting primary industries because they don't affect the market.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i love the nz first requirement that legislation be introduced to stop COWARD PUNCHES it's like going to the forums to demand a rogue nerf

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

sebmojo posted:

i love the nz first requirement that legislation be introduced to stop COWARD PUNCHES it's like going to the forums to demand a rogue nerf

They should make breaking the law illegal while they're at it.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Please legislate people to stop kicking me in the balls

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

dissss posted:

Universal RUCs make sense, but the problem is you need some way of incentivising more efficient vehicles which it doesn't sound like we're going to get.

Their manifesto explained it and it's literally making all cars pay the same, a tax on small efficient vehicles to subsidise Ranger drivers.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
portfolio-wise, the worst things seem to be:

brooke van velden getting to gut employment and health and safety laws
melissa lee getting mbie
seymour getting to gut pharmac
environment and climate change sitting with nobodies outside cabinet

Varkk posted:

Winston to be deputy for 18months and push through some red meat for his base. Then do a rug pull when it is Seymour’s turn?

that's not what a dpm does

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

redleader posted:

government gps, with occasional letters saying things like "why did you drive to mcdonalds at 3am on a tuesday"

"I'm worried about you, this is not your normal driving behaviour. Why are you driving to a remote rural road at 4am? Why are you turning off the road? Why is the car in the river that is not a road"

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

exmarx posted:

brooke van velden getting to gut employment and health and safety laws
melissa lee getting mbie
seymour getting to gut pharmac
environment and climate change sitting with nobodies outside cabinet

that's not what a dpm does

I'm surprised they even put someone on the climate change and environment portfolios

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
My phones GPS location a: doesn't go into a govt database b: need to be turned on all the time

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

klen dool posted:

LOL so now the govt is straight up gonna have a database of all our movements great well done
I mean they could just ask, usually it's at around 8 am

klen dool
May 7, 2007

How else will they manage domestic sewer demand

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

They would just shut down your forums account

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

klen dool posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lmao

Also no they aren't gonna track everyone's movements for road charges

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

We don't have time to see where you dorks are driving.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

exmarx posted:

Lil Simeon getting transport and local government

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

They would just shut down your forums account

HEY

klen dool
May 7, 2007

HEY AS WELL

klen dool
May 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Lmao

Then wtf is an electronic road user charges then

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Where we're driving, we won't need eyes to see

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They haven't announced how they plan to do it but it'll probably be an odometer reading as part of WOF and/or rego, with the option for people to use one of the electronic things that are currently approved for RUC vehicles so people can pay as they go rather than getting a big bill with your rego every year.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

klen dool posted:

Then wtf is an electronic road user charges then

Presumably similar to the current system except you won't get the little card for your windscreen.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Lmao

Yeah such a system could be doable but would absolutely raise a whole lot of legitimate privacy issues and also cooker conspiracies. They probably won't try it.
On the other hand there's a hell of a lot of money in privatising and selling that data, as evidenced by companies like Tomtom.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Well we've seen people in this thread saying there exists an electronic RUC system in trucks that uses GPS to determine the charges and also people saying that there no way they'll do it so like who the gently caress knows what "electronic road user charges" means I guess we'll just have to wait till.next March or whatever month

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the truck gps works because there's not that many trucks and they have paper trails that can be used to audit instances when, for example, the gps unit isn't in the truck during a delivery. it would be completely bonkers to try and enforce a gps unit in every single private car for the express purposes of charging an individual for travel - they'd just loving leave it at home most of the time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klen dool posted:

Well we've seen people in this thread saying there exists an electronic RUC system in trucks that uses GPS to determine the charges and also people saying that there no way they'll do it so like who the gently caress knows what "electronic road user charges" means I guess we'll just have to wait till.next March or whatever month

it's technically feasible but almost infinitely not worth the amount of poo poo it would entail at both a national and international level.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

I'm getting trained in RUC in 2 weeks I'll probably know what they are about then

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

sebmojo posted:

it's technically feasible but almost infinitely not worth the amount of poo poo it would entail at both a national and international level.

Frankly would be easier to just implant some kind of tracking chip in the entire population, maybe via some sort of vaccination?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Luxons gonna get gates in the blower to ask about him about doing the same thing for RUC as he did for the covid vaccines

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
don't care till they start construction on the jordan peterson man milking facilities

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

The feeling of malaise is overwhelming.

It's all just so depressing. I don't understand how people vote for these cunts that are just going to make things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the electric car discount was just a handout to rich people anyway

what kind of person spending 80k on a car needs the help?