Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I might be forgetting something obvious, but did the last two seasons ever show where White lives after moving to New York? Billy lives with his mother, Rodney, and Col. Gentleman, but does White live there too?

He lives with Billy and shares a room with him. There’s a line in the Morpho trilogy to start season 7 “where’s your pigmentally challenged better half?” when Billy comes home alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Someone burned down the Monarch's house :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Manolo can fix it. You’re paying for the quality!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RoastBeef posted:

Did anyone see a quadruple amputee nearby?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

RoastBeef posted:

don't worry, Monarch's house isn't the only completely crazy looking mansion in Newark. that's a different one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krueger_Mansion

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

don't worry, Monarch's house isn't the only completely crazy looking mansion in Newark. that's a different one.

Welp oops. How many turreted red brick mansions with names that start with k can there be in a city, anyway?

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

It has that combination of expendable and unburnable that make it the perfect home

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

RoastBeef posted:

Welp oops. How many turreted red brick mansions with names that start with k can there be in a city, anyway?

I dunno but I guess they were one over the limit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ok, I just finished the movie. It’s fantastic and as good a note to go out on as anything. However, what does Mantilla mean when she says that Rusty helped her in exchange for something she wasn’t using any more? I had assumed that she gave him her uterus and ovaries or something, but in the stinger it looks like Doc is gestating them in some kind of machine. Does she mean that she donated eggs and is actually the boys’ mother?

Also, what the gently caress is with that watch? Jonas was (is?) a motherfucker who didn’t care about anyone. Why would he have a watch talking about found family?

I assume the lack of closure on who Rusty is cloned from is entirely deliberate.

Maybe I should just read the thread, but I’m 300 pages behind.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Ok, I just finished the movie. It’s fantastic and as good a note to go out on as anything. However, what does Mantilla mean when she says that Rusty helped her in exchange for something she wasn’t using any more? I had assumed that she gave him her uterus and ovaries or something, but in the stinger it looks like Doc is gestating them in some kind of machine. Does she mean that she donated eggs and is actually the boys’ mother?

Also, what the gently caress is with that watch? Jonas was (is?) a motherfucker who didn’t care about anyone. Why would he have a watch talking about found family?

I assume the lack of closure on who Rusty is cloned from is entirely deliberate.

Maybe I should just read the thread, but I’m 300 pages behind.

1. Yes. It's implied she just donated her eggs. I don't think she'd agree to a whole hysterectomy.
2. It's just another note from Ben that Jonas wasn't 100% narcissistic douche. Only 95% narcissistic douche. I mean, he did rebuild Blue Morpho/Venturion in a (at least partial) hosed up sense of comradery.
3. I think it's implied Rusty was Jonas' actual kid. He was just like Hank & Dean, getting cloned every time he died. Malcolm was just an attempt to "fix" Rusty's physical deficiencies.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm still aghast at how poignant "Radiant is the blood of the Baboon Heart" ended up being, given how much it initially came off as a gag at being a mouthful ridiculous title.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was in a bar yesterday and “Don’t you want me” by The Human League came on and I decided 21’s a cappella, we-really-don’t-want-to-pay-license-fees cover of that song is my favorite moment of him in the whole show.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
why does The Monarch hate Rusty? What's goin' on there

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Cranappleberry posted:

why does The Monarch hate Rusty? What's goin' on there

He's kind of a dick

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He sucks so much.

But also it's the baboon blood. Baboon brothers must constantly fight one another to assert dominance over the troop.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

He sucks so much.

But also it's the baboon blood. Baboon brothers must constantly fight one another to assert dominance over the troop.

Ben warned Jonas about putting all that monkey junk in him!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

And just look at him! Its just soooo easy to hate Rusty! His face, just, aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

You just want to kick his rear end! You want to build a machine to kick his rear end!! HOW CAN YOU NOT WANT TO BULD AN EMPIRE TO HOUSE THE MACHINE TO KICK HIS rear end!!!!!!!11!1!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

And just look at him! Its just soooo easy to hate Rusty! His face, just, aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

You just want to kick his rear end! You want to build a machine to kick his rear end!! HOW CAN YOU NOT WANT TO BULD AN EMPIRE TO HOUSE THE MACHINE TO KICK HIS rear end!!!!!!!11!1!

I have never agreed with a post more in my life.

Anyone else occasionally shout “MINIONS” in real life only to shortly after be disappointed that legions of similarly clad hench people do not show up? Just me?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I mostly say "I am into costume business, not costume play."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"You can't yell at us for following orders!"
"Or kill us for following orders"

Plays in my brain every time I'm told to do something loving stupid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DogsInSpace! posted:

I have never agreed with a post more in my life.

Anyone else occasionally shout “MINIONS” in real life only to shortly after be disappointed that legions of similarly clad hench people do not show up? Just me?

A lot of people probably think the Despicable Me ones, but to be fair they're not not relevant...

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Hot dolphin!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Yesterday, got my Guild and VB shirt from the latest round of offering

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got mine yesterday too. The distressed shirt is a little bit way over distressed. Oh well.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Gangringo posted:

Hot dolphin!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

limp_cheese posted:

The Monarch, cloned son of Dr Jonus Venture, gets to do exactly what he truly wants to do and arch his clone brother for the rest of his life without interference from the Guild or their pesky rules.

He's got a hot and highly competent in villiany herself wife, a truly awesome best friend that is the best henchman ever and the respect of actual villians like Red Death. If there is one person who "won" in the end in this show, it's him. He will build an empire I am sure of that

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The movie was ok but I really wanted one more season in NYC. There's two things I will never not be mad about regarding [AS]: the streams getting shut down and cancellation of The Venture Brothers. Oh well I guess.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mycomancy posted:

the streams getting shut down

:confused:

https://www.adultswim.com/streams/the-venture-bros

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I assume they mean the original streaming shows. Like Fishcenter. That was a bummer even though I didn't really catch many of them.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I assume they mean the original streaming shows. Like Fishcenter. That was a bummer even though I didn't really catch many of them.

Correct.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Monarch, cloned son of Dr Jonus Venture, gets to do exactly what he truly wants to do and arch his clone brother for the rest of his life without interference from the Guild or their pesky rules.

He's got a hot and highly competent in villiany herself wife, a truly awesome best friend that is the best henchman ever and the respect of actual villians like Red Death. If there is one person who "won" in the end in this show, it's him. He will build an empire I am sure of that

And even his arch-nemesis brother is practically friendly at this point. Like, pantsing him in front of everyone is some delightfully juvenile poo poo, and I think one of the things that is very much respected in arching is taking pleasure in the petty things rather than needing over-the-top destructive schemes all the time. Seems quite possibly on track for the reconciliation implied in the time machine cameo; especially since to Rusty, there's a fuzzy line between friends, family and enemies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's healthy to have catharsis and not completely destroy someone or self destruct about it. Baboons can teach us so much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually comes up almost explicitly that the Guild regulates arching on a lot of grounds, including motivation; almost acting as directors or editors of the 'story' as they pretty much admit to overseeing and enforcing narrative conventions as much as negotiating organised antagonism. The focus on working out exactly what the Monarch's relationship to Rusty is to figure out what kind of conventions they fall under. Seems interesting, given the Guild considers lethal force to only be a problem if you do it too much, but even worse if it's indiscriminate. That the Monarch's been so vague on why he hates Rusty so much is probably one of the problems there with people for whom his reasoning is genuinely important.

Of course, the Guild's idea of a valid motivation probably isn't the same as what we'd call a justified one, as 'I want to do crime, he's stopping me from doing crime' counts as one for starters, but that kinda goes part and parcel with the whole supervillain thing. That said, I imagine the Pyramid Wars served well as an abject lesson why it serves them well to have a context and reasoning for arching rather than unprovoked aggression, give how brutally the OSI crushed SPHINX once given a justification. The agreement of terms of engagement between the Guild and OSI is called the Treaty of Tolerance for a reason, probably, that the OSI tolerates the Guild's existence because the deliberately style-over-efficiency methods and having defined rules and boundaries is better than having the unrestricted super-science war that'd probably result otherwise. Especially since the OSI exists to protect and preserve the status quo first and foremost, and having the Guild on board with that serves their purposes.

Also makes sense I think why there ends up being so much red tape and backbiting over the specific issue of who gets to arch Rusty; he's one of the most desired and high-profile arching targets, an active adventurer with a grand legacy, and that he's a miserable failure of an imitation of his father only makes him more fun, probably. (And of course, it was old Team Venture's habit of escalating that brought about the EMA rules in the first place)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MariusLecter posted:

It's healthy to have catharsis and not completely destroy someone or self destruct about it. Baboons can teach us so much.

I - I have cuttlefish...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kesper North posted:

I - I have cuttlefish...
GIVE US THE CUTTle...fish...cu-- I can't do this!

An old partner used to have me do this line when they wanted to hear my Monarch.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I did appreciate the eventual reveal that Dr. Dugong is alive. He was too gentle for the hero/arch game. And his cuttlefish need him.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I did appreciate the eventual reveal that Dr. Dugong is alive. He was too gentle for the hero/arch game. And his cuttlefish need him.

The best payoff was that it wasn't like Dougie was in deep hiding just that Wide Whale doesn't read his family emails

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He’s Wide Wale. It’s a type of corduroy. He’s always wearing that kind of suit. In his very first appearance they had the fabric ruffling sound every time he moved.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I warmed some up in the dryer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Love some hot voile