Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Is there anyone else in the Barry Windham mold of someone who was arguably the best wrestlernin the world for a year but didn't keep it up or failed to live up to their potential cause they didn't want to put in the effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

apparently Triple H was that from 2000 until the quad tear

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

everyone who has wrestled randy orton has said he is the best in ring guy they have ever worked with and he is more than happy to do the bare minimum wwe house style. randy could probably bang out 2013 pwg style kickass matches if he felt like it.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Venomous posted:

apparently Triple H was that from 2000 until the quad tear

I remember thinking he was shite in 98 (although I think he was hamstrung by crash tv, the talent around him and also that injury he got) but him with actual good workers like Foley etc, he was really REALLY good. I dunno, maybe he was able to rise to their level.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STONE COLD 64 posted:

everyone who has wrestled randy orton has said he is the best in ring guy they have ever worked with and he is more than happy to do the bare minimum wwe house style. randy could probably bang out 2013 pwg style kickass matches if he felt like it.

https://twitter.com/DamoMackle/status/1605206490222149634?s=20

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Wrestlers are a bunch of chinlock marks.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Orton is the perfect Fed wrestler. Is tall and jacked, gets a pop cause people like and know his theme, has an incredibly boring by-the-numbers match that is 70% resthold and then gets a pop when he hits his finishing move.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Isn't one of the reasons guys liked to work with him also that he's incredibly safe? I swear I remember reading something about people saying how good he was at looking after them in matches.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I remember that too, about him and Kane.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s safer to wrestle Kane than to live within his jurisdiction.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A poster brought up another possible mixed tag match in aew and it got me thinking.

Has there been any good mixed tag matches? There have been plenty of fun intergender matches, but it seems that mixed tag matches kind of fall apart to me because the ones I've seen thus far just try to do the same spots like in a regular tag match, but they don't realize the logic kind of falls apart, because a tag swaps both people in.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Defenestrategy posted:

A poster brought up another possible mixed tag match in aew and it got me thinking.

Has there been any good mixed tag matches? There have been plenty of fun intergender matches, but it seems that mixed tag matches kind of fall apart to me because the ones I've seen thus far just try to do the same spots like in a regular tag match, but they don't realize the logic kind of falls apart, because a tag swaps both people in.
The original WWE Mixed Challenge is as good as your boundaries are going to get. It sucks as a format because men and women can't touch each other.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There was that funny mixed tag with Santino and Emma in NXT where they kept high-fiving and it was loving with who had to be in the ring on each side.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm not sure exactly how it would work, maybe with some number larger than 4 wrestlers, but has there ever been a match where there aren't tag teams but only two wrestlers are allowed in the ring at a time but can tag in any arbitrary wrestler

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

big black turnout posted:

I'm not sure exactly how it would work, maybe with some number larger than 4 wrestlers, but has there ever been a match where there aren't tag teams but only two wrestlers are allowed in the ring at a time but can tag in any arbitrary wrestler

this used to be the standard for how any multi-man match worked in the US at least

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

the best one on Cagematch is apparently Kurt Angle and Ronda Rousey vs. Stephanie McMahon and Triple H, which probably isn't actually good tbh

the next best one is from a Dark in early 2020, and it's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSdPVMWnfRk

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alaois posted:

this used to be the standard for how any multi-man match worked in the US at least
It even led to the fantastic "Outlaws Rule" where you cannot pin your own partner to win the match

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

big black turnout posted:

This used to be a staple during Gabe Sapolsky era ROH, these were 4 Corner Survival matches. You had to tag in to be legal but it was elimination rules.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Venomous posted:

the best one on Cagematch is apparently Kurt Angle and Ronda Rousey vs. Stephanie McMahon and Triple H, which probably isn't actually good tbh

the next best one is from a Dark in early 2020, and it's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSdPVMWnfRk

That one's a full on intergender match through, and a pretty good one.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

haven't seen it yet, so yeah, I'll trust you on that

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the Mixed Match Challenge tourney that WWE did a few years back on The Facebook was fun, though in a house show way – wouldn't call any of the matches great or anything

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

There have been several good ones in AEW, like the match at All Out where Ruby Soho got her nose busted open by Tay.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

There have been several good ones in AEW, like the match at All Out where Ruby Soho got her nose busted open by Tay.

I don't remember that match being good and WON gave it 2.5* for what ever that's worth beyond validating to me that I doubt it was a secret barn burner that I'm memory holing. I'm not saying they've been bad, they've all just been very "meh" and leave me thinking "This would be better if it was intergender" or "This would have been better as a singles match with outside shenanigans by the other pair." The only mixed tag that left an impression on me was Shaq/Cody/Jade/Velvet and that was more for Shaq wrestling far beyond what I thought was possible for a rando guest spot, taking a table bump, and being shadow realmed, but he could have done that in a 1v1 vs cody and it probably would have been better than what we got.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I remember the Rousey/Angle vs Trips/Steph match being the highlight of that Wrestlemania. Seems like it was probably a bad Wrestlemania.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sandman McMahon posted:

I remember the Rousey/Angle vs Trips/Steph match being the highlight of that Wrestlemania. Seems like it was probably a bad Wrestlemania.

It was a Wrestlemania after the one Daniel Bryan won, so yeah

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't remember that match being good and WON gave it 2.5* for what ever that's worth beyond validating to me that I doubt it was a secret barn burner that I'm memory holing. I'm not saying they've been bad, they've all just been very "meh" and leave me thinking "This would be better if it was intergender" or "This would have been better as a singles match with outside shenanigans by the other pair." The only mixed tag that left an impression on me was Shaq/Cody/Jade/Velvet and that was more for Shaq wrestling far beyond what I thought was possible for a rando guest spot, taking a table bump, and being shadow realmed, but he could have done that in a 1v1 vs cody and it probably would have been better than what we got.

The Shaq mixed tag is so perfectly put together, I assumed it would already be mentioned so I didn't even bother mentioning it. For me when I see a mixed tag I don't think it would be better intergender since intergender tags just remind me of the grossest indie guys doing misogynistic spots and then cutting the same "these girls are tough and I respect them so much" promo Dickinson and the like would do.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I still worry about Shaq. Hope he can make it back from the Ambulance Dimension ok.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The Shaq mixed tag is so perfectly put together, I assumed it would already be mentioned so I didn't even bother mentioning it. For me when I see a mixed tag I don't think it would be better intergender since intergender tags just remind me of the grossest indie guys doing misogynistic spots and then cutting the same "these girls are tough and I respect them so much" promo Dickinson and the like would do.

On the other hand LAX[Santana/Ortiz] vs Team PAWG[Jordynne Grace/LuFisto] and Joey Janela/Penelope Ford vs Session Moth/Orange Cassidy (2018) are actually good intergender tag matches that happened.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I saw that Angle and Ronda vs HHH and Stephanie match in isolation some while back and thought it was loads of fun. Basically everything it needed to be from what I recall. Not saying it's a good match in the grand scheme of wrestling but I liked it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I saw that Angle and Ronda vs HHH and Stephanie match in isolation some while back and thought it was loads of fun. Basically everything it needed to be from what I recall. Not saying it's a good match in the grand scheme of wrestling but I liked it.

it was good

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
That was Ronda's debut match ever and the only person it got compared to was that TNA guy who trained less than a week football player for greatest debut match in a career ever. And yes it was far and away the best match on that wrestlemania

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

OC and Stat vs the Bunny and the Blade was an awesome match that used the wonky mixed tag rules really well and had a clever finish. That one and Cody/Velvet vs Shaq/Jade are my two favorites.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

OC and Stat vs the Bunny and the Blade was an awesome match that used the wonky mixed tag rules really well and had a clever finish. That one and Cody/Velvet vs Shaq/Jade are my two favorites.

I also liked OC/Stat vs. Cole/Baker.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lid posted:

That was Ronda's debut match ever and the only person it got compared to was that TNA guy who trained less than a week football player for greatest debut match in a career ever. And yes it was far and away the best match on that wrestlemania

I remember the miz/Seth/Balor 3 way being alright and the ali/Cedric Alexander preshow match being good, but the Ronda tag was the like... Far and away spectacle of the show. Punctuated by roman and Brock slogging for 16 minutes that felt like hours.

Though for me the best part of the mania was watching strowman walk past the NJPW wrestlers to choose a small child out of the crowd.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Procrastinator posted:

Though for me the best part of the mania was watching strowman walk past the NJPW wrestlers to choose a small child out of the crowd.

Wait, who was there?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

EdsTeioh posted:

Wait, who was there?

Tanahashi, okada, Suzuki, and ishii iirc were there because it was the Nakamura/aj match. Or maybe there was some show they did that weekend idk.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't watch much AEW but I've been curious about its supposed lean towards "sports entertainment" as expressed here. It still seems pretty distinct from WWE to me, and this is coming from someone who generally likes silly bollocks like Stone Cold beating up Booker T in the supermarket in addition to good matches. Is it mostly down to MJF and Cole's stuff or have I missed something?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

now that the JAS is dead, it is entirely an MJF/Cole thing, yes

vv oh, right, forgot about Timeless Toni lmao vv

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 29, 2023

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Well, there's "Timeless" Toni Storm too which is Toni Storm who lost her title and now thinks she's a 1920s Hollywood starlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Well, there's "Timeless" Toni Storm too which is Toni Storm who lost her title and now thinks she's a 1920s Hollywood starlet.

Not going to lie, I thought the "Watch for the shooooe!" promo was funny.