Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Unlike Commando, Predator benefits from having a high concept that permits it to skip the legwork. Alien big game hunter. Boom, you have all the information necessary for the last act. You could try to poke holes in the geopolitics of them being there but it doesn't matter because ALIEN BIG GAME HUNTER. There are obviously more pressing concerns.

Commando doesn't have that and it suffers for it. John Matrix has to fight his former commander because they're trying to kill him because ? and Rae Dawn Chong is there because ? and there's something about an assassination?
You can sit back and just appreciate the action but you have to make the conscious choice not to think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is a discussion forum, and this little act is literally anti-discussion. C'mon dude. Post something interesting.

Oh I was agreeing in a joking way but you're right, the tone could comes across poorly. I genuinely love this about movies, though — there's the endless YouTube videos and dipshit experts that insist on the "right" way to make them like it's a science when so much of it is just ethereal

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 8, 2023

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Yo, don't sleep on this. Yeah, it's "exactly the same as the movie" but that's what makes it amazing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

morestuff posted:

Oh I was agreeing in a joking way but you're right, the tone could comes across poorly. I genuinely love this about movies, though — there's the endless YouTube videos and dipshit experts that insist on the "right" way to make them like it's a science when so much of it is just ethereal

Goddamn I'm 2/2 on not getting sarcasm, I suck!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Goddamn I'm 2/2 on not getting sarcasm, I suck!

Can't blame you for that one, it was pretty unclear

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

commando has top tier character work

He feeds the deer with his daughter which means he is good. Perfect

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Every now and then I think about Commando's opening credits and how amazing they are, then I think about Arnold's amazing weirdo dad comments about Boy George, then I remember that the invasion of his home happens pretty much right after and then I once more realize that Commando just doesn't let up.

I think the slowest part for me is when he is stalking Sully at the mall and Rae Dawn Chong calls the cops on him. It's still fun because Arnold is a klutz and Rae Dawn Chong is adorable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is SPL 3 good, incidentally? I guess it's loosely part of the series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_(2017_film)

those first two films were incredible. and as much as I appreciate the first one being a bit tighter, the second one had some absolutely loving incredible fighting.

edit: also, is Atomic Blonde worthwhile? I've heard differing thoughts.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 8, 2023

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I really like the fights in Atomic Blonde, they feel brutal

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love Atomic Blonde. The action is excellent but beyond that it's also one of those spy stories where the full context you have at the end makes a rewatch extra enjoyable because you can see things with the whole picture in mind.

Basically, the movie is Lorraine going around Berlin cleaning up all possible evidence of her identity as Satchel, and if you watch the movie with that in mind it casts a lot of her actions in a new light.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think I liked Atomic Blonde at the time but I have literally no idea about what happens in that movie whatsoever. Might be a good idea to rewatch it.

Speaking of Predator, just saw this in pyf:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I've been a die-hard (ha!) Schwarzenegger fan for as long as I can remember; Commando is firmly inside my top ten. It's a movie that has zero pretension, mostly thanks to Mark Lester's attitude. If you can grab the commentary from the 2007 Directors Cut DVD he had a firm understanding of how schlocky and formulaic he wanted to the film to be - which is why it's distilled near-perfectly. Commando is a cartoon and all the actors lean into the superhero nature of Matrix. Hard to count how many movies and video games were directly inspired by Commando and as someone already described, the movie is a self-satire of a genre that it helped establish, firmly bringing the "one-man army" trope from martial arts and vigilantes into the modern age.

MrMojok posted:

They’ve both talked over the years about how Commando was a direct response to the 1985 Rambo: First Blood pt. 2.

In the The Last Action Heroes book, it's mentioned that Schwarzenegger went out of his way to have a combat knife that is 1" bigger than Stallone's.

---

Atomic Blonde took me by surprise. I was expecting a "Wickised La' Femme Nikita", but it goes a little further and has its own story to tell. The soundtrack slaps with hard-style action...the fight on the staircase is particularly memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XarGS1AeEcE

midge fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 9, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

midge posted:

I've been a die-hard (ha!) Schwarzenegger fan for as long as I can remember; Commando is firmly inside my top ten. It's a movie that has zero pretension, mostly thanks to Mark Lester's attitude. If you can grab the commentary from the 2007 Directors Cut DVD he had a firm understanding of how schlocky and formulaic he wanted to the film to be - which is why it's distilled near-perfectly. Commando is a cartoon and all the actors lean into the superhero nature of Matrix. Hard to count how many movies and video games were directly inspired by Commando and as someone already described, the movie is a self-satire of a genre that it helped establish, firmly bringing the "one-man army" trope from martial arts and vigilantes into the modern age.

The little documentary on the making of the movie is great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YofFZ2M8hE

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The little documentary on the making of the movie is great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YofFZ2M8hE

Also, this kid explaining the movie is cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLix4QPL3tY

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, this kid explaining the movie is cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLix4QPL3tY

"Everything is for fighting" sounds like an 80s martial arts book (this is high praise).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I love Atomic Blonde. The action is excellent but beyond that it's also one of those spy stories where the full context you have at the end makes a rewatch extra enjoyable because you can see things with the whole picture in mind.

Basically, the movie is Lorraine going around Berlin cleaning up all possible evidence of her identity as Satchel, and if you watch the movie with that in mind it casts a lot of her actions in a new light.

That reveal didn't hit as well as it should have. I think the movie was a little too intricate for its own good.

It has some great fights tho. Some cool visuals as well.

Not sure Theron pulled off that accent as well.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grendels Dad posted:

Every now and then I think about Commando's opening credits and how amazing they are, then I think about Arnold's amazing weirdo dad comments about Boy George, then I remember that the invasion of his home happens pretty much right after and then I once more realize that Commando just doesn't let up.
"Vy don't they chust call him Geurl Chorge?" Oh Arnold, you card. :laffo:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Postponed my inevitable Commando rerewatch to finally catch Upgrade. Saw it mentioned here before with positive recommendations.

Great loving movie. Great inventive action and action directing. But it just might be too glumly well done to qualify as an action movie. Cyber noir, despite the abundant action? It's another perfect movie I'm going to have to force myself to see again.

Can't stop thinking about it. Just so well done. Better than the original Blade Runner despite being a much smaller movie.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Shageletic posted:

Upgrade.....Great loving movie.
Better than the original Blade Runner despite being a much smaller movie.

Yep, another out-of-nowhere favourite of mine.

The Blade Runner comment compels me to mention Nemesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHcVS6EUQg

"Rule Of Cool" movie that inspired Kojima's storytelling style. Hard recommend for cyborg-action fans. If you're not seen it, check it out!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shageletic posted:

Postponed my inevitable Commando rerewatch to finally catch Upgrade. Saw it mentioned here before with positive recommendations.

Great loving movie. Great inventive action and action directing. But it just might be too glumly well done to qualify as an action movie. Cyber noir, despite the abundant action? It's another perfect movie I'm going to have to force myself to see again.

Can't stop thinking about it. Just so well done. Better than the original Blade Runner despite being a much smaller movie.

That's what up

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Shageletic posted:

Postponed my inevitable Commando rerewatch to finally catch Upgrade.
(Snip)
Better than the original Blade Runner despite being a much smaller movie.

These sarcastic bad takes are really getting out of hand

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hard Target makes Citizen Kane into Citizen Lanme

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

midge posted:

Yep, another out-of-nowhere favourite of mine.

The Blade Runner comment compels me to mention Nemesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHcVS6EUQg

"Rule Of Cool" movie that inspired Kojima's storytelling style. Hard recommend for cyborg-action fans. If you're not seen it, check it out!

The opening scene in some kind of ruined steel mill has one of the best post-apocalyptic setting ever, especially for a low budget movie like this. I wonder how much they had permits for or safety taken care of, there are some very scantily clad women climbing over nasty toxic rubble.
Apparently David S. Goyer ghostwrote most of the script which fits the Death Warrant/Kickboxer period of his career.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16sGH4xb5ic
Behind the scenes, they mention a very tight schedule with everyone working real hard.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 12, 2023

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Look, Citizen Kane may have revolutionised basically every aspect of cinema, but it didn't have a guy getting shot 30 times, spin kicked, then shot a further 30 times.

John Woo makes movies that are exactly tuned to the 7 year old me and is amazingly good at it and so I'll pretty much always love him.

Also, Red Cliff is seriously amazing. I was impressed with it at the time, but now being more familiar with the time period and other examples of the genre, it's clearer what an insane achievement it is.

CeeJee posted:

The opening scene in some kind of ruined steel mill has one of the best post-apocalyptic setting ever, especially for a low budget movie like this. I wonder how much they had permits for or safety taken care of, there are some very scantily clad women climbing over nasty toxic rubble.
Apparently David S. Goyer ghostwrote most of the script which fits the Death Warrant/Kickboxer period of his career.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16sGH4xb5ic
Behind the scenes, they mention a very tight schedule with everyone working real hard.

When I watched Nemesis the first time (possibly on the recommendation of this thread) I couldn't believe they took the Syndicate fan-fic I wrote in the 90s and made it into a film. How did they even find that script?

Nemesis, along with blade, are two perfect examples of 90s action. Not necessarily the best, but the most 90s.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

:hmmyes:

Snowman_McK posted:

Look, Citizen Kane may have revolutionised basically every aspect of cinema, but it didn't have a guy getting shot 30 times, spin kicked, then shot a further 30 times.

John Woo makes movies that are exactly tuned to the 7 year old me and is amazingly good at it and so I'll pretty much always love him.

Also, Red Cliff is seriously amazing. I was impressed with it at the time, but now being more familiar with the time period and other examples of the genre, it's clearer what an insane achievement it is.
Are you suggesting I should re-watch Red Cliff then, because i can barely remember anything other than falling asleep at some point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

:hmmyes:

Are you suggesting I should re-watch Red Cliff then, because i can barely remember anything other than falling asleep at some point.

If you like big, insane battle scenes and people standing around military maps looking pensive while in period costume, yes. Those are things I'm very much into, so I loved it. If that's not your thing, that's absolutely fine.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Snowman_McK posted:

When I watched Nemesis the first time (possibly on the recommendation of this thread) I couldn't believe they took the Syndicate fan-fic I wrote in the 90s and made it into a film. How did they even find that script?

Nemesis, along with blade, are two perfect examples of 90s action. Not necessarily the best, but the most 90s.

it cannot be overstated how much fun Nemesis is

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Any idea if nemisis is streaming anywhere? Need something to watch tonight after I get sick if MNF

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really wanna watch Red Cliff but the stupid English trailer voice narration keeps throwing me off

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Any idea if nemisis is streaming anywhere? Need something to watch tonight after I get sick if MNF

It was on Prime at some point, alongside thousands of other zero budget 90s sci fi films

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

It’s currently on both Peacock and Plex.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Sweet thanks. Just watch wasn't finding it for me

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh my god the remake of Once Upon a Time in Shanghai is a banger. Now on tubi. I know it's not fair but with spl 1 and 2 and now this I keep seeing films better than every loving John Wick combined.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The new Mission Impossible is... fine? Nothing quite as immaculate as the bathroom fight, to be fair.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Narcissus1916 posted:

The new Mission Impossible is... fine? Nothing quite as immaculate as the bathroom fight, to be fair.

I found it impossible to judge due to COVID. The insane camerawork and closeups in the meeting room with John Hamm only made sense once I realized no one was in the room together and they were desperately trying to prove to insurance that production could happen while keeping everyone really far apart.

How many other things did COVID screw up with the production? Who knows. I thought it was the worst one since 3 but am not going to fault them for trying to keep the industry going in its darkest hour.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJMuhwVlca4
First trailer for Furiosa is finally out and gently caress yes, I can't wait to see this one.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm sure it'll be good, but that trailer really pales in comparison to the Fury Road trailer. Hopefully that isn't an indication of their relative quality.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Odd post, but I figured I'd share what I've been doing recently for my action movie kicks. I was getting increasingly jaded with streaming services over the last couple of years - pricing are only going up and the catalogues seem to be on a course of poo poo I don't wanna watch. I was at the point of spending $40 a month across video and music subscriptions....all for the privilege of endlessly scrolling poo poo and turning off the TV. As an experiment, I started setting aside $50 a month and heading to my local pawn shop. I was pretty surprised at the selection across DVD and BluRay, and chatted the owner down to 6 DVDs or 3 BluRays for $10 - providing I spend $50 each time I go in. 15-30 movies a month is far more than I would typically watch via stteaming.

6 months later, I've got a pretty loving cool little collection and actively look forward to picking out movie and chilling out with it. I know all this seems pretty basic for us that lived with physical media, but it continues to be fun, heading into the store and walking out with stuff that I've not though about in years. At some point I'll reach a point where I have all the common titles, but untill that saturation hits I'll keep on trucking.

PS. Apparently everyone in my town owned Taken 2, specifically, at some point.

midge fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 1, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Chas McGill posted:

I'm sure it'll be good, but that trailer really pales in comparison to the Fury Road trailer. Hopefully that isn't an indication of their relative quality.

It seems like a rehash with less original effort and a lot more talking. It still could be incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oh man I sure hope nothing happens to furiosa's arm that would be so surprising if it happened