Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
A luas got set on fire, the system is shut down dye to cable damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Bunch of poo poo set on fire in town, a luas, two buses, immigration centre. Looting on going, seem to be getting kettled down into the henry st/abbey st area.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Absolutely awful, the disenfranchised people plus far right agitators combo was clearly brewing since COVID if not before. This is a harsh wake up call for sure.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Was there something in particular going on that sparked all this?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Was there something in particular going on that sparked all this?

Knife attack outside a school on Parnell square east injuring children and adults followed by gript posting the guy subdued and arrested was an algerian national

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Of course it was loving McGuirk's rag. Dipshit should have never been allowed on TV in the first place.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Knife attack outside a school on Parnell square east injuring children and adults followed by gript posting the guy subdued and arrested was an algerian national

It's also not been confirmed by any reputable sources yet, not that it would matter. On another "wouldn't matter, but it would be ironic given the fash mob", the rumor mill has it that the person who initially tackled the attacker is a Brazilian guy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The same cousin who let us all know that not being let down the pub was tantamount to mind control is sending us tweets mentioning it was "an Algerian", gotta keep an eye on that one, we do. She's the same cousin who fell for that weird bogus story about the army mobilising in early 2020, and shared that old pic of a lidl on fire after those lads ramraided that one during the blizzard. She's VERY bad at the Internet.

Pregnant wife wants to go see a movie in Cineworld tomorrow, and she's gone to town during some mad poo poo and barely got home before but I'm hoping to talk her out of it...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Should be fine by tomorrow, or if it's not you'll really fukkan know about it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hey now lads, stop trying to imitate our N.I. poo poo, we have copyright you know!!! :argh:

Hope it all dies down overnight.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently the cops have run most of them now.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

It's also not been confirmed by any reputable sources yet, not that it would matter. On another "wouldn't matter, but it would be ironic given the fash mob", the rumor mill has it that the person who initially tackled the attacker is a Brazilian guy.

Further to this fella on rte said he's been informed that though the dude is an immigrant he's lived in Ireland for 20 years and is a naturalized citizen.

Lots of angry far right people on social media now trying to explain how Irish passport holder doesn't mean a real citizen in the infinite no real Irishman argument

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
All I know is, no bus shall go unmolested until this thing is sorted. Children of the nation can rest safe in their beds knowing the Luas is out of commission. The schools can open tomorrow now that I looted Footlocker. Amen

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

That Italian Guy posted:

Yep.

https://twitter.com/Lazare76/status/1727836772128661931

I guess because he looks like a local (and maybe even sounds like one after being here 20 years) he's considered 'one of the good ones'. Or not. I'm Northern so I've been paying more attention to the far right in England and their effects on politics. If the likes of Farage and Robinson had been nipped in the bud early the UK might not be in the position it's in now. I guess a lot of people in the Republic thought 'It could never happen here'. And now look.

Valko fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 24, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Valko posted:

Yep.

https://twitter.com/Lazare76/status/1727836772128661931

I guess because he looks like a local (and maybe even sounds like one after being here 20 years) he's considered 'one of the good ones'. Or not. I'm Northern so I've been paying more attention to the far right in England and their effects on politics. If the likes of Farage and Robinson had been nipped in the bud early the UK might not be in the position it's in now. I guess a lot of people in the Republic thought 'It could never happen here'. And now look.

I think the one that had been here a long time is the attacker, not the Brazilian guy. He has only been here a year.
Reading through the articles about him, it also sounds like his bike (left inside the Garda cordon while he was questioned about what happened) has disappeared during the ensuing chaos. The wording was vague enough ("he doesn't know where it is, he left it inside the Garda cordon") that this may be a misinterpretation though.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 24, 2023

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'd not been checking in with Conor McGregor recently but apparently he's made his full transition to spokesperson of the far-right in Ireland.

He deleted a post yesterday calling for people on the streets after saying "We are at war" to his 10m followers.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Of course it was loving McGuirk's rag. Dipshit should have never been allowed on TV in the first place.

casual reminder that you should correctly label this lot as fash, not least because it pisses McGuirk off

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

breadshaped posted:

I'd not been checking in with Conor McGregor recently but apparently he's made his full transition to spokesperson of the far-right in Ireland.

He deleted a post yesterday calling for people on the streets after saying "We are at war" to his 10m followers.
The far right / qanon types have been on the rise in recent years, although this is probably the largest event by far. A few years ago you would see nuts like Gemma O'Doherty protesting about Bill Gates's mind control chips in COVID vaccines outside Google, but there has been a serious escalation during the conflict in Ukraine, with far right agitators organising protests against refugees and the other crap you see all over Europe.

I think last night was the perfect storm of something terrible happening, it being coopted by actual neonazis plus a lot of disenfranchised people joining in the chaos because of the proximity to the city center and the chance to blow off some anger.

These last ones are young men with no prospects, living in a city that is more and more gentrified every day, with cost of living and rent shooting through the roof. On top of that, several of them have a history of petty to mid violent crimes and, having been minors during most of this history, also have a history of non criminal prosecution, emboldening them. It's a very fertile crowd to be radicalised and and even larger % would be up to set poo poo on fire and loot stores in a city that has mostly left them behind.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Sick to my stomach this morning. I loving hate these morons so much.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gards and the government were pretty content to let poo poo slide when it was people attacking queers, and women and counter protestors and refugee tents but they really should have taken the NP trying to tear Kildare Street up as the serious wake up call that it was. They were scared then, but all then ended up doing was to block off Kildare St. every few weekends and gently caress up traffic.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

breadshaped posted:

As if I needed more reason to dislike that guy. National embarassment.

There's a new youtuber and MMA fan who's making pretty in depth videos about the history of the sport.

He's Irish too and not a fan of CMG either.

Napoleon Blownapart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXZ4fGzYvv0

Most of his videos average about an hour in length.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

:thunk:

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

That Italian Guy posted:

These last ones are young men with no prospects, living in a city that is more and more gentrified every day, with cost of living and rent shooting through the roof. On top of that, several of them have a history of petty to mid violent crimes and, having been minors during most of this history, also have a history of non criminal prosecution, emboldening them. It's a very fertile crowd to be radicalised and and even larger % would be up to set poo poo on fire and loot stores in a city that has mostly left them behind.

Having lived there for 15 years, i see a few similarities here with your standard Belfast riot- whatever the inciting incident, there's a bunch of young, angry people who feel left behind, that are throwing rocks or burning buses

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I can't see how this isn't a direct consequence of Drew Harris and his policy of hands off policing the far right to avoid playing into their hands. He's let them get away with so much over the last year.
Protesting libraries over gender, setting up blockades to refugee centers, and the time they set fire to homeless refugee tents.

They've been emboldened by a state that gives them the soft touch while going hard on leftist activists occupying vacant homes for the homeless.

And I guess the other issue is the cost of living today. I spent a short while on the dole between jobs recently and the unemployment payment does not cover any sort of life. I had my expenses cut to the bone and I was still eating through my savings just for bills and groceries.

I bet it's very frustrating being unemployed, living at home or paying all your income to rent outside. Those people are easy recruits for far right ideology that promises them the foreigners are why there's no homes.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 24, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah I used to live right next to where the stabbing happened about 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure the rent prices have gone up to 4 times what we used to pay in the meantime. For reference, that was just short of 500€ for a two rooms/1 bathroom apartment that I was sharing with another person. I would be surprised if the prices in D1 are below €1700 for a similar accommodation nowadays. poo poo's hosed.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
And yet there's only antiimmigrant riots and not antilandlord ones smh

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
They have been anti-landlord protests, occupying vacant buildings. the state comes down on them fast though. Garda will bring out helicopters and dozens of guards for 10 activists peacefully occupying a building that was unused for years.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, having lived in a few different countries the Garda is probably the "nicest" police force I've had experience with, but at the end of the day it is not surprising that they are deployed against people threatening the pockets of the rich, that's their role.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Marenghi posted:

They have been anti-landlord protests, occupying vacant buildings. the state comes down on them fast though. Garda will bring out helicopters and dozens of guards for 10 activists peacefully occupying a building that was unused for years.

Special branch and the armed response unit.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Marenghi posted:

I can't see how this isn't a direct consequence of Drew Harris and his policy of hands off policing the far right to avoid playing into their hands. He's let them get away with so much over the last year.
Protesting libraries over gender, setting up blockades to refugee centers, and the time they set fire to homeless refugee tents.

They've been emboldened by a state that gives them the soft touch while going hard on leftist activists occupying vacant homes for the homeless.

What gets me is how the far right crowd locking down Kildare st and making lynched dummies with FF/FFG faces on them wasn’t a wake up call. Like, even cynically in terms of self preservation, how do you just carry on as though it’s simply The Lads At It Again.

The rest of the soft touch makes some sense when you think about where their priorities are, i.e. not with refugees or people suffering from the housing crisis, but how do you not respond to that sort of thing? Is it really just paralysis over not emboldening the far right?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Venomous posted:

casual reminder that you should correctly label this lot as fash, not least because it pisses McGuirk off
Also because via McGuirk's Principle he's wrong here, so doing what he says will make things worse.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

From what the Garda said, there were between 100 and 200 fash at the scene; they were later joined by 300-400 locals.

quote:

Gardaí said it appeared news of those initial clashes spread and groups of people – including boys, older teenagers and young men – then joined the violence, quickly swelling the numbers involved. The same Garda sources said that at its height, perhaps 500 people were involved, with many of those opportunistic rioters intent on clashing with gardaí and looting shops, rather than being linked to the earlier far-right protest.
34 people were arrested last night.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The amount of eejits with their phones on taking videos of what they were doing is going to bite them on the arse hard.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
big loool from the north @ rioting being a newsworthy event

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
(not lol at little children being attacked, i'm very glad they are all okay)

relatively speaking

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The amount of eejits with their phones on taking videos of what they were doing is going to bite them on the arse hard.
This really is the Irish January 6th.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
If this our jan 6th it implies people might eventually be prosecuted. I’m not optimistic.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Valko posted:

If this our jan 6th it implies people might eventually be prosecuted. I’m not optimistic.
Fair enough, so far we only have the bail audience report https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/11/24/dozens-appear-in-court-on-public-order-and-other-charges-following-dublin-rioting/.

Most of these charges seem fairly small potatoes tbh - being rude or threatening to Garda, stealing stuff, the worst of it seems to be a bunch of people who were carrying knives and such. Doesn't look like there's going to be any real consequences even if people are prosecuted for them.

Edit: I guess the biggest consequences are going to be for the handful of people that work corporate jobs, like there's a guy who is an accountant at a firm or another one that does engineering work for various tech companies, according to their LinkedIn. I presume someone may find themselves out of a job given how bad of a publicity being associated with these assholes is.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 24, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All that's the low-level poo poo that they actually grabbed people off the street for and requires no more evidence than "Here's the knife. Here's the defendant's fingerprints. Here's the fingerprints what we gots from the knife" and the DPP were happy to bring charges immediately. It's also probably all the people who were collared prior to poo poo actually kicking off and starting to get dangerous, or the ones too stupid to realise the crowd had dispersed later on, so the process of identifying the people who did more severe poo poo and got away in the mass is going to take a while and building those cases will be significantly more difficult.

The name "Abdulwahab Salawe" popping up there makes me wonder if someone tried to head out to directly oppose the fash or did he just really not get what was going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

The Chairmaker!