Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BalloonFish posted:

They usually square this by holding checkout staff to some impossible nostalgic standard - they bristle at having to do their own checkout, hate the actual people who work tills for [reasons] but love the platonic ideal of a checkout clerk who wears a perfectly ironed apron, stands up for an entire 8hr shift, has a permanent sunny grin, thinks "no price tag so it must be free, right?" is the funniest joke ever, will compliment their product choices as they scan them, knows all the stock prices and can work out change instantly without going through the till and will let them indulge in some 'harmless' flirting.

Those (non-existent) workers deserve a job (no more than minimum wage, obviously. The boomer creeds of "minimum skills, minimum wage" and thinking that retail/service work requires no skill or effort still applies) but if they fall below this fantastical standard - and especially if they dare ask for a wage that keeps up with living costs - then boomers take positive joy in seeing 'entitled lazy kids' get replaced by machines.

And then they can pivot to posting about how there's no staff to help them and how hard to use the machines are and Why No One Wants To Work Any More. The cycle is complete.

Yup they think back to the pre-Amazon days where every lane was filled with cashiers, and that poo poo just isn't going to happen anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Even then, it wasn't "every lane staffed" unless it was a place that only had like two or three lanes. I have young childhood memories from those bygone days, of my mother and siblings and I scouting up and down the way to look for a checkout lane that was open but not choked with people. It's always a fantasy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/CoachKKeezy/status/1724796129035083912?t=0aPl_qsavd5AhnnwSXBAWA&s=19

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Communism is when someone tells me to do something I don't want to do, and then even though I still don't do it, ooooohhh I just get so mad

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

You mean when we encouraged healthier eating and taking time off to recover from an illness? Man, what a wild world that would be. Now stop trying to dictate school lunches or expect sick days, peasant.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If only we did solve more of our problems through communism.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If only we did solve more of our problems through communism.

Get back to work. Time to make Stakhanov proud! 200% in one shift!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
what do they think the "c" in "vitamin c" stands for anyway?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
consumerism. vitamins are a mind control device by the deepstate to keep you placid and from seeing the truth.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

InsertPotPun posted:

what do they think the "c" in "vitamin c" stands for anyway?

Cancer

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Cancer?!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's Latin for 'cancel'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It speeds up our natural evolution into crabs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

This one's great. On a post about how a body they found may be non binary from 900 years earlier. Guy responds with the standard "unless you're CIS you're delusional" response. Clicked on his page and it is nothing but anti-vaxx and flat earth posts.

But gender fluid is "delusional"

Edit - Holy poo poo, apparently the concept of the earth being round is due to the Catholic Church wanting to keep people down, and if you don't believe in a flat earth you're a "Globe Lover". If it wasn't so terrifying that people believe this poo poo it'd be funny

Medullah fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 19, 2023

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Medullah posted:

Edit - Holy poo poo, apparently the concept of the earth being round is due to the Catholic Church wanting to keep people down, and if you don't believe in a flat earth you're a "Globe Lover". If it wasn't so terrifying that people believe this poo poo it'd be funny

In Search of a Flat Earth by Dan Olson is a fascinating look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Medullah posted:

This one's great. On a post about how a body they found may be non binary from 900 years earlier. Guy responds with the standard "unless you're CIS you're delusional" response. Clicked on his page and it is nothing but anti-vaxx and flat earth posts.

But gender fluid is "delusional"

Flat earth has been exploding over the last few years. Raising successive generations without any critical thinking is showing it's consequences.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Flat earth has been exploding over the last few years. Raising successive generations without any critical thinking is showing it's consequences.

Nah, it peaked a few years back.
It's still up there, but there isn't as many still preaching it, just the hardcore nuts and insane.
They have mostly barricaded themselves into their own discord channels and sneer with a 'nuh huh' when someone debunks them.
Professor Dave and SciMan Dan has some great videos dunking on them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so what about mile big water bodys and the how ships coming in and out of LoS?

or you know any other supposed flat piece of ground.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Those are all meringues like you get in the dessert.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I looked at this dude's Facebook for a good 20 minutes. I had no idea there were so many arguments for flat earth.

The big one he kept posting was "I look and see a flat ground. Anyone who thinks the world is round is just falling for the government tricks, since you can't see it yourself it isn't real".

Apparently it's "Scientism"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Those are all meringues like you get in the dessert.

so when that one Flatter and his pal did their own walking test with their planks of wood, Big Dessert got them?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

happyhippy posted:

Specifically I liked Professor Dave's "Destroying Flat Earth Without Using Science - Part 4: The Conspiracy. It relies on no other understanding except the very broadest ways that the world actually works. The specific line that stuck with me is (spoiled just inn case you want to be surprised) "With Flat Earth, there are no Edward Snowdens." I feel like I'd made that same inference independently but it's a real crystallization of it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the most unbelieveable thing there is a youtube channel has single videos under 15ish mins or a goon posted it and not a 15 hour video essay.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

SciMan Dan is fun if you just want some dunking on flat earthers, but it does get old after a while as flat earthers mostly repeat the same arguments again and again.

Dave McKeegan is a really great channel by a professional photographer. He excels at seriously addressing the various (dumb) arguments and showing how they are simply impossible due to various technical reasons. He explains a lot of stuff about how cameras, lighting, etc. work and why various stuff you see in photographs or videos simply can’t be done in a film studio or via CGI or in water or whatever and can only be done in space, on the moon, on a round(ish) Earth, etc.

One cool thing he did is take an hour from a live NASA stream from a spacewalk, the uncut video from a GoPro carried by one of the austronauts, the changing position of the ISS from the ISS tracker, and a weather map at that time and space, where you can see the clouds matching up, etc. Fun taking a peak at, obviously just watching a space walk „live“ is not the most interesting thing ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWBjhPKwA28
In another video he went and explained why he did that (his other videos are usually around 10 to 15 minutes long).

He also did stuff like taking the raw photo files taken during a complete orbit, stitching them together into a time lapse, and again comparing them to weather, etc.

Due to the technical details hegoes into, it’s not just a fun dunking on flat earthers, but you can also learn some interesting stuff about photography, lighting, etc.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 19, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
The real fun there is them getting into a loop where they offer bounties to anyone who can debunk or prove x explanation of theirs, someone does this very thoroughly, they say actually the goalposts are father away and smaller than I may have led you to believe, repeat either ad infinitum or until the flat-earther finally resorts to making the bounty conditional on proving something that inherently can't be proven.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

generatrix posted:

In Search of a Flat Earth by Dan Olson is a fascinating look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Pretty sure this is the one where halfway through he loses contact with all his flat-earth folks and then realizes "They all went... to QAnon."

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Pretty sure this is the one where halfway through he loses contact with all his flat-earth folks and then realizes "They all went... to QAnon."

Yeah, QAnon sucked up a lot of the oxygen in the conspiracy theory space as he documents in this... documentary.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Islamic Shock posted:

The real fun there is them getting into a loop where they offer bounties to anyone who can debunk or prove x explanation of theirs, someone does this very thoroughly, they say actually the goalposts are father away and smaller than I may have led you to believe, repeat either ad infinitum or until the flat-earther finally resorts to making the bounty conditional on proving something that inherently can't be proven.

My favourite example was the... Australian? ghost believer who decided to copy The Amazing Randi by offering a million dollar prize. Thing was you only got the prize if you disproved to his satisfaction every single ghost case he'd ever heard of and I had a long pointless argument with a guy who just wouldn't believe the two offers weren't identical.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Runcible Cat posted:

My favourite example was the... Australian? ghost believer who decided to copy The Amazing Randi by offering a million dollar prize. Thing was you only got the prize if you disproved to his satisfaction every single ghost case he'd ever heard of and I had a long pointless argument with a guy who just wouldn't believe the two offers weren't identical.

Yeah Randi was smart and got lawyers involved before actually doing the test, getting the people to put down exactly what their claims were and giving them multiple opportunities to amend their claims until locking them down in writing. And it wasn't even using "gotcha" language, just "this is the test protocol, I can detect water better than random chance using this exact setup, nothing about this setup will interfere with my abilities" etc. Just short-circuiting any arguments or complaints they'd inevitably have after they failed spectacularly.

That ghost guy just sets an impossible task.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhazonLink posted:

so what about mile big water bodys and the how ships coming in and out of LoS?

or you know any other supposed flat piece of ground.

Dan goes into that in the video, but I believe the answer he was given was "You must've done it wrong, pray on it and try the test again", or as Olson put it, "Pray the curve away".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Not pictured: the ones that burned down

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've seen the same thing said about old cars surviving crashes like, "Man, look at how this car is just a wreck after an accident, but a tough old car would have survived." They don't seem to understand that if the car withstood that destructive energy, that means it went into the occupants.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Magnetic North posted:

I've seen the same thing said about old cars surviving crashes like, "Man, look at how this car is just a wreck after an accident, but a tough old car would have survived." They don't seem to understand that if the car withstood that destructive energy, that means it went into the occupants.

It's bullshit there too. NHTSA has done crash tests where they run a modern car into its equivalent from 50 years prior at speeds where they both get totalled, but the modern car has an intact passenger space due to better metallurgy in the frame construction as well as crumple zones redirecting force where the older car is folded into a loving origami frog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5PcWziXT0

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Magnetic North posted:

I remember that even cartoons like the Fairly Odd parents had a joke about calling old cars" Screaming Metal Death Traps. "

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Not pictured: the ones that burned down

Show us these loving generational houses then!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The old car had a two part windshield so that you could garrette yourself as your seatbelt -optional rear end was ejected forward

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Show us these loving generational houses then!

They're just off screen.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
My family owns an old 56 Chevy, so I have some experiece with old "indestructable" cars.

The entire interior is made of steel, including the dashboard. It did not have seat-belts when it was new. The steering wheel has a steel spike aimed diretly at the solar plexus. The thing is a deathtrap.

But these stupid trad accounts are not real people who actually beleive any of this, it's low quality facebook engagement bait for half-dead boomers.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's bullshit there too. NHTSA has done crash tests where they run a modern car into its equivalent from 50 years prior at speeds where they both get totalled, but the modern car has an intact passenger space due to better metallurgy in the frame construction as well as crumple zones redirecting force where the older car is folded into a loving origami frog.

Naturally that video generated a lot of boomer commentary claiming it was an unfair test for various reasons. “It didn’t have an engine!” - yes it did, you can see it in the after pictures, it’s a straight 6. “It has a rusty frame!” - that’s dirt falling off it, the previous owner has verified that it was a solid car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My partner totaled his 2018 Passat last month.

You could see the crumple zones working on it. And every single airbag in the car deployed. He walked out with a tiny bit of airbag rash and a jammed thumb that hurt for a couple of days.

The car that hit him was a 2015 Kia Optima. It had the same results, and their driver was even less injured.

The cars did their jobs and did them well. Insurance paid and we replaced it with a brand new car within two weeks. It was probably the best possible scenario, that sure as HELL wouldn't have happened with a 56 Chevy.