Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I hope one day we can say he ate Putins balls, and then the rest of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Arivia posted:

A pizza is a prion.

Prion pizza is better than pineapple pizza.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You're supposed to put some kind of fancy ham on with it. It's delicious.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
pineapple is too fancy for my pizza I just use red delicious apples

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
putin apple on a pizza is kremlinal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lammasu posted:

Jack Frost is the one that comes to my head. They had some others. One was called the Day the Earth Froze with something called a sampo.

Despite what they say in mst3k, I don't think Morozko has anything to do with Finland. Maybe the Finns distributed it outside of the Eastern Bloc, but that's it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

pineapple is too fancy for my pizza I just use red delicious apples

wow wow WOW

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lammasu posted:

I have a question about Finnish/Russian relations. Why are there so many Russian/Finish co-produced movies? I've seen a ton of them on MST3K.

There are some, yeah. And it comes down to our old relationship with the Soviet Union, which was complicated enough to create its own term (Finlandization). The short version is that even though we were officially and in many ways independent, in other very meaningful ways we were under Soviet control. Our foreign policy wasn't dictated by them, but it was "adviced" by them, and from the end of the war to the fall of the Soviet Union, our entire national policy was basically written around pretending Finland and the Soviet Union were the best of friends in the hopes that they didn't just roll us over. There were "friendship unions", shared co-productions etc.

E: Edited out a part where I was insanely wrong about a movie, no need to spread further disinformation.

Sometimes it did produce good stuff, too, notably the joint tour by Finnish rock legends "The Leningrad Cowboys" and the Red Army Choir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95zC0kdFSV4

Warning: in many ways this is dangerous levels of 1993 but god drat the song itself owns.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHAVrtfMN7U

Honestly, remembering those times breaks my heart. The Soviet Union had fallen, and it felt like Russia was reaching out to the world and trying to be a more open and modern society. I remember the relief and hope, and the feeling that things were going to be OK. Then came the Vladimir Zhirinovskys and Putins and here we loving are.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 24, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Probably the most glaring example of these co-productions is "Vodkaa, komisario Palmu" ("Vodka, inspector Palmtree"), the last in a series of detective movies about a beloved Finnish literary character. The movie is basically a 95 minute handjob where the retired inspector travels to the Soviet Union to solve a murder

No he doesn't? He travels to the Soviet Union to fetch some vodka, and that's during the opening credits. The entirety of the rest of the movie takes place around Helsinki (which is in Russia of course but was never in the Soviet Union). Also it's so extremely heavy-handed satire that only a complete idiot (such as any Soviet official watching it) would ever think it's pro-USSR lmao. Or pro-anything for that matter. The end song is literally about Big Brother seeing everything (of course the big brother in the song is the traffic chopper, not the state WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE). It's also basically the best Finnish movie ever, and has one of the greatest chase sequences I've seen. Viktor Klimenko was a wonderful physical actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSKfkgZDYE

e: I wish I could find a clip of the Soviet propaganda variety show they're shooting at the TV studio. It's a thing of marvel.

ee: "Best Finnish movie ever" of course isn't a high bar to pass.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 24, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No he doesn't? He travels to the Soviet Union to fetch some vodka, and that's during the opening credits. The entirety of the rest of the movie takes place around Helsinki (which is in Russia of course but was never in the Soviet Union). Also it's so extremely heavy-handed satire that only a complete idiot (such as any Soviet official watching it) would ever think it's pro-USSR lmao. Or pro-anything for that matter. The end song is literally about Big Brother seeing everything (of course the big brother in the song is the traffic chopper, not the state WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE). It's also basically the best Finnish movie ever, and has one of the greatest chase sequences I've seen. Viktor Klimenko was a wonderful physical actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSKfkgZDYE

What the gently caress am I thinking of then? I admit I've openly avoided seeing the movie since I was a kid because I remember it ... well, like I remember it: as a 95 minute handjob to the Soviet Union. I distinctly remember extended scenes of Palmu (or possibly some other main character in some other movie, then) touring Soviet TV studios and being wowed by Soviet satellite technology etc.

Huh. Maybe I need to see it again, then! Thanks, Ukraine thread!

E: No, scrubbing through the movie on Yle Areena now, I am definitely mixing up parts of Vodka, inspector Palmtree, and some other movie that had propaganda content in it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 24, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What the gently caress am I thinking of then? I admit I've openly avoided seeing the movie since I was a kid because I remember it ... well, like I remember it: as a 95 minute handjob to the Soviet Union. I distinctly remember extended scenes of Palmu (or possibly some other main character in some other movie, then) touring Soviet TV studios and being wowed by Soviet satellite technology etc.

Huh. Maybe I need to see it again, then! Thanks, Ukraine thread!

It's a Finnish TV studio lmao and the space thing is Klimenko and Sulin wearing tinfoil space suits and singing. It's obviously a jab at YLE being political. (Which is fair, if you read up on the history of YLE.)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a Finnish TV studio lmao and the space thing is Klimenko and Sulin wearing tinfoil space suits and singing. It's obviously a jab at YLE being political. (Which is fair, if you read up on the history of YLE.)

Yeah, this is on me. Like I said, I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid and I'm obviously misremembering the tone, and probably mixing in stuff from some other movie that had "Palmtree" touring Soviet factories etc.

Oh well, time to watch it again, maybe there really are four good Palmtree movies after all!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

surely this stuff won't backfire

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I think that as soon as pension payments get hosed with, or inflation causes them to be worthless, you're really going to see things fall apart.

People look at the Ruble exchange rate and think 'it's not too bad, they are holding out' don't realise that there are capital controls in place, and Putin is practically setting fire to foreign currency reserves to buy Rubles at an inflated rate just to give an artificially strong value.

The inflation and GDP figures that Russia publishes are complete works of fiction, why on earth people (like the IMF) believe them is a wonder to me.

Eh, at this point I think people will just bear it even if Russian economy suddenly collapses because a) they are used to misery and b) they won't be allowed to protest anyway. People that would be (or already are) the most affected already left or were silenced while others will blame the West, gays or whatever.

edit: also :lol:, the best protected bridge in the world etc.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 24, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

some other movie that had "Palmtree" touring Soviet factories etc.

I'm afraid that doesn't exist.

e:

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Dwesa posted:

Eh, at this point I think people will just bear it even if Russian economy suddenly collapses because a) they are used to misery and b) they won't be allowed to protest anyway. People that would be (or already are) the most affected already left or were silenced while others will blame the West, gays or whatever.

Its interesting that puffy p is now signalling that has always been ready for peace, expects to keep Crimea and wants to build a new protected route .
So presumably this tunnel will take 5 plus years to materialise.
Why do you need this if you are commiting to peace vlad?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Would an underwater tunnel really be safer? Sounds like an even jucier target for sabotage.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

Wait... this motherfucker, who is in a position to know if Ukraine can actually sabotage an underwater resource pipe, wants to build an underwater pipe and thinks that Ukraine can't target it? :psypop:

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Clerical Terrors posted:

Would an underwater tunnel really be safer? Sounds like an even jucier target for sabotage.

The phrasing in the article is hope. So let's settle on cope as the thinking.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tunnelling through unstable geology might be worse than building over unstable geology. :stonklol:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
maybe elon promised them another tesla only tunnel

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Would I be overestimating Ukraine to think that they could probably fit a small swarm of kamikaze drones and have then fly directly into the tunnel entrance and collapse it from the inside? Unless Russia outfits the entrance with a wall of guns to shoot down any and all drones that seems like prime "we only have to get lucky once" material.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Hell that's probably overthinking it, car bombs are a thing.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

So it finally sank in their bridge's days are numbered?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

staberind posted:

The Russian army ouroboros'

Storm Zentipede

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Tunnels are funny because if you poke a big hole in the roof of them and they flood they sre very difficult to fix, and they're also much more vulnerable to explosives in a truck or similar since the blast is contained by the tunnel.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clerical Terrors posted:

Please let Musk build it.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

It is just grift. People on both sides of the table pocketing money while planning and "building" the tunnel. In the end no tunnel will exist but many dachas have been built.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Iltalehti, one of our yellow press rags, interviewed some Russians to get their thoughts on the poo poo going down at the border. You don't have to squint terribly hard to detect some less than neutral word choices in the article, but I think it's still valuable to hear from the people we rarely hear anything from: ordinary Russian citizens.

This "Gleb" guy is speedrunning all the big Kremlin talking points.

Link: https://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/a/e951925f-7d5d-4de3-a2f1-1bd55c0827b8
Journalist: Heikki Mulari

Iltalehti posted:

People were arriving in groups at the border crossing on Thursday.

The Finnish government's decision to close all other border crossings at the Eastern border, except for the crossing at Raja-Jooseppi, has prompted a lot of discussion in Russia. Iltalehti asked Russian citizens living in the Leningrad area, how the border closings are affecting their lives and how Russians feel about it.

St. Petersburg entrepreneur Xenia says she was visiting Finland, when the government decided to first close all the crossings in South-Eastern Finland. Xenia often visits Finland on family business.

- We had to act quickly and buy tickets on the last bus from Helsinki to St. Petersburg.

The second largest city in Russia used to offer relatively cheap access to Finland. According to Xenia, the bus trip to Helsinki cost around 10 000 rubles (about 100 euros). In the future travel will take more time and money. According to Xenia, coming to Finland through the Raja-Jooseppi station in Inari is not a practical option due to how expensive and lengthy the trip is.

- First we'd have to go to Murmansk, which is 1300 kilometers away. It's also winter, and the roads are in bad shape. We could get to Helsinki by plane through third countries, but the prices start at 100 000 rubles (1000 euros) and even then the travel takes a lot of time, Xenia says.

America's fault
Gleb, who lives in the Leningrad area, blamed the border closings, as well as the deteriorating relationship between Finland and Russia, on Finland.

- This whole situation is created by Finland. You don't live in peace. Our border officials aren't breaking any laws. America is to blame for everything, and Finland chose the wrong side, he said, referring to Finland's decision to join Nato.

Sergei, who used to visit Finland monthly prior to the border closings, phrases his words more carefully.

- As a consequence of this, both Finns and Russians suffer. They have been denied the chance to meet their family on both sides of the border.

According to Sergei, the blame lies with politicans on both sides of the border.

- The moral responsibility is with the ordinary officials, who are executing the will of the politicians. I mean those, who brought the refugees to the border, and who baselessly promised them access to Finland. And how many of the refugees never got to where they were going? And how does it affect their lives? We can only guess.

The Finnish press revealed earlier, that Russian government officials have been selling "packet trips" to Finland to immigrants.

Russia is an experienced bandit

St. Petersburg housewife Mariya complains about how visiting family has become a lot more difficult since most of the border crossings were closed. She is also worried about the asylum seekers who are being used as pawns in Russia's border dispute.

- I don't know how these asylum seekers are getting to the Murmansk border. I've never been there myself, because it's not that easy. I don't believe this is the mafia's work, because no mafia is going to smuggle 400 people to a border station without anyone noticing. That's just horse poo poo.

Mariya believes that Russian government officials are intentionally bringing asylum seekers to the border to create tensions.

- They have a lot of experience in this. When it's election time, they transport buses full of voters from one voting station to the next. Now they're transporting refugees from one inspection point to the next.

Ordinary citizens can't really do much about the situation, however.

- I am bored of three things: the mocking attitude Russian government officials have towards their citizens, how little most Russians care about it, and how I can't do anything about it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 24, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reminder that Iltalehti is a Putinist rag. They just can't go all in on it because they need advertisers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Reminder that Iltalehti is a Putinist rag. They just can't go all in on it because they need advertisers.

Yeah, normally I wouldn't use it to wipe my rear end, but I think there's value in hearing from ordinary Russians, even if one of them sounds like a politics forum superstar.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, normally I wouldn't use it to wipe my rear end, but I think there's value in hearing from ordinary Russians, even if one of them sounds like a politics forum superstar.

Do you think Iltalehti sought out ordinary Russians? Why would they?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I mean, that being the case, are you even hearing from an ordinary russian, then?

I'm potentially poisoned by right-wing moron posting from the US, but even easier than selectively finding opinions that serve your narrative is making them up out of whole cloth. "Yes, this guy and all his friends think this, they are all just out of frame."

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Clerical Terrors posted:

Wouldn't that be longer than the Chunnel? I cannot imagine a kleptocracy like Russia pulling that off.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do you think Iltalehti sought out ordinary Russians? Why would they?

Well I would hope that even they wouldn't just outright make this up, but I guess it's not impossible.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Wouldn't that be longer than the Chunnel? I cannot imagine a kleptocracy like Russia pulling that off.

Article says it would be comparable in scale to Denmark-Germany tunnel, which is shorter. And that's why they invited Chinese construction company. But even the Chinese seem to be wary of the possible consequences.

quote:

The emails also reveal Chinese efforts to maintain secrecy. One emphasizes that CRCC will participate only under a “strict provision of complete confidentiality” and that the company’s name will be replaced by “another, unaffiliated legal entity” on any contracts. Another email mentions a Chinese bank willing to “convert its dollar funds into rubles for their transfer to Crimea to fund [consortium] projects.”
“It would be odd that either a consortium of major PRC firms or the government would support such a project,” said a U.S. official involved in sanctions policy, referring to the People’s Republic of China. “The project would seem like a pretty easy target for Ukrainians to destroy.” The official, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity, citing the sensitivity of the subject.

but they could also gain even more influence over Russia

quote:

For its part, China would probably insist on at least partial ownership of the tunnel, adding to its expanding inventory of global port and transportation infrastructure, experts said. China could also finance the project and extract payment either in tolls or from Russian oil and gas exports.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
It's very early and I read the original tweet as "building a tunnel from Russia to China that the Ukrainians can't strike" and was like man

if you're worried about them hitting your infrastructure all the way over there now, just admit you've lost and leave already lol

:morning:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Last night in Crimea an air defense and radar complex got vaporized by drones.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Dwesa posted:

Article says it would be comparable in scale to Denmark-Germany tunnel, which is shorter. And that's why they invited Chinese construction company. But even the Chinese seem to be wary of the possible consequences.

but they could also gain even more influence over Russia

Just Another Lurker posted:

Tunnelling through unstable geology might be worse than building over unstable geology. :stonklol:

I think Just Another Lurker is right. It may be shorter, but afaict the Fehmarnbelt tunnel enjoys comparative geological stability that is not at all the case where the Kerch bridge goes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao at spending 5 years building a tunnel with two construction areas that will be death traps for Ukraine to gently caress about with when ever it wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

tiaz posted:

I think Just Another Lurker is right. It may be shorter, but afaict the Fehmarnbelt tunnel enjoys comparative geological stability that is not at all the case where the Kerch bridge goes.

I agree and it cannot be immersed tunnel like Fehmarnbelt tunnel, because of possible attacks during the construction, so they can only use tunnel boring machines... and then there is chabudao.

So... yeah, if these two kleptocracies attempt that project (and I guess they will, Russian leadership is only capable of bad decisions at this point, it seems), I expect :blyat: