Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This has a 93% critics score and a 25% audience score on rottentomatoes. Its power levels are just too high to handle for most people. And also the Emma Stone fans are absolutely suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Suffering? She's doing a great job!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Good on Nathan’s character for honoring the rules of the installation.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Suffering? She's doing a great job!

Its because they jumped in expecting something normal, but ended up with a show that is purposefully and amazingly painful. I mean, I'm loving it but if you're unprepared its a lot to have thrown at you as a standard Emma Stoner.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

She is famous enough to draw in a much broader crowd than just the type of people who would appreciate the show. I'm sure there is no shortage of people clicking on it thinking "oohh I liked Cruella/La La Land/ spiderman let's check out this curse show".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I think of her as from Superbad

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think Nathan is legit great in this. It's clear that he doesn't have a ton of range so they built the entire character around that and it fits perfectly. He feels like he's constantly struggling to figure out what it's like to be a human being, and every scene with him is like a prolonged panic attack.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Khanstant posted:

Saw on Nathan Instagram there were noted similarities between a trailer for Anyone But You and some promo for The Curse. Apparently they made this promo 6 months ago and thinks Sony Marketing might've seen it and copied it, but isn't pursuing legal action and has booked tickets to the screening of Anyone But You to support the folks working on that.

As artists they do just read the scripts they are given.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I think Nathan is legit great in this. It's clear that he doesn't have a ton of range so they built the entire character around that and it fits perfectly. He feels like he's constantly struggling to figure out what it's like to be a human being, and every scene with him is like a prolonged panic attack.

I agree, I was surprised at how good he was doing the angry breakdown on the reporter on episode 1. Not something I was expecting from him.

Khanstant posted:

Saw on Nathan Instagram there were noted similarities between a trailer for Anyone But You and some promo for The Curse. Apparently they made this promo 6 months ago and thinks Sony Marketing might've seen it and copied it, but isn't pursuing legal action and has booked tickets to the screening of Anyone But You to support the folks working on that.

Someone should hire Paul T. Goldman to investigate this trailer theft, it seems like the sort of nefarious crime his ex-wife would be behind.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Nathan Fielder loves making things uncomfortable.....and basically every scene in this show is uncomfortable. The sound choices are foreboding and often menacing.....which adds an extra layer of anxiety. I can't imagine where this is all going.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So were you suppose to eat the turkey or na

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Nathan Fielder loves making things uncomfortable.....and basically every scene in this show is uncomfortable. The sound choices are foreboding and often menacing.....which adds an extra layer of anxiety. I can't imagine where this is all going.

The show would be better without the music telling me how I'm supposed to feel. It's very un-Nathany to see him in a cinematic production instead of his faux documentaries.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You're right, every scene should be backed by a riveting banjo

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There’s music throughout Nathan For You

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNkGnvP7C3A&t=11s

I love this show, I love Gary Farmer

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
The Curse is very uncomfortable so far. Episode 1 was a wild ride. Episode 2 didn’t feel nearly as good, a little bit dull but that’s ok. I’m definitely curious where this goes.

the role play cuckold sex scene was insane, did not expect that lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The Curse is weird man

perfect for A24

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
It's hard to describe this, it's like an hour long adult swim show

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

George H.W. oval office posted:

So were you suppose to eat the turkey or na
The point was to rile up all the well-to-do white people with a thanksgiving allegory, so it didn't matter one way or another. That's why she was pissed that Emma invited the Pueblo guy (who very much did not like anything there, and was the only non-white person there) because the art only works on the white clientele who feed off a sort of liberal guilt of empowering natives but while also commodifying and fetishizing The Other culture to assuage said guilt. It works by reflecting their own insecurities back at them.

Cara being an absolute hack and not even remotely close to a good artist was great: an alternate distorted reflection of Emma and Nathan's characters in a different light

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Stolen from somewhere else, but Benny Safdie is playing Elan Gale in this, and now I can't unsee it.

He’s actually Robbin from The Rehearsal

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Xaris posted:

The point was to rile up all the well-to-do white people with a thanksgiving allegory, so it didn't matter one way or another. That's why she was pissed that Emma invited the Pueblo guy (who very much did not like anything there, and was the only non-white person there) because the art only works on the white clientele who feed off a sort of liberal guilt of empowering natives but while also commodifying and fetishizing The Other culture to assuage said guilt. It works by reflecting their own insecurities back at them.

Cara being an absolute hack and not even remotely close to a good artist was great: an alternate distorted reflection of Emma and Nathan's characters in a different light
Obviously the art was targeted at guilty white liberals, but Cara seemed like a competent artist and I gotta say I kinda enjoyed both the ham thing as well as the other pieces. The Pueblo governor guy had his personal take on the art, which is fair, and so did Fielder. But at least they got what the art was going for.

Imo the joke is squarely on Stone’s character who obviously missed the whole point of the experience and thinks there’s a correct answer to eating the ham or not.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Vegetable posted:

Obviously the art was targeted at guilty white liberals, but Cara seemed like a competent artist and I gotta say I kinda enjoyed both the ham thing as well as the other pieces. The Pueblo governor guy had his personal take on the art, which is fair, and so did Fielder. But at least they got what the art was going for.

Imo the joke is squarely on Stone’s character who obviously missed the whole point of the experience and thinks there’s a correct answer to eating the ham or not.

Yeah that’s the only thing I really noticed about it. Obsessing over whether she correctly experienced the art or did something wrong, only caring about something that’s completely irrelevant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a lot of y'all are talking about your experience inside the structure

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I would've eaten the turkey.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

She was being pretty stingy with the turkey

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love that she uses an industrial meat slicer. I don’t have a read on it; it’s just hilarious imo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, she's serving art as a product.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That shotgun making me real nervous

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

She was being pretty stingy with the turkey

Mostly because 80% of it wasn't landing on the plate, just getting mashed in the corner.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

this show is meeting my lofty expectations so far, with the second episode ramping up the tension beyond what the first established. my favourite part so far was watching the gears turn in asher’s head as he improvises the most fielderesque data breach possible

so far it seems the curse is woke capitalism fuelled by white guilt but I’m so ready to get turned on my head soon

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Haha. The only person in the focus group who likes Asher is the climate change denier. That's worse than scoring a straight 0.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 24, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just bought a ticket to see the finale of The Curse in a theatre in January. Let's goooo

where are you nerds buying curse tickets

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 24, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I loved the sweater scene. Just a really sweet moment they immediately slaughter for Likes. I don't know if I hate those people.
Also, Nathan is a good actor. That scene at the end, when Asher gave some backtalk was intense.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This has gotta be one of the most brutal shows I've seen. It is absolutely physically painful to watch. Its pretty rare that a show affects me on a deep and meaningful physiological level like this. Nathan Fielder completely understands the feeling of embarrassment in a way that I've never seen, its amazing.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 24, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Alan Smithee posted:

where are you nerds buying curse tickets

https://tiff.net/events/the-curse

I think it's in Toronto only.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whitney asking if they eat hot dogs with rice was loving incredible cringe lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Steal blueberries -> judgmentally ask permission to eat them on couch -> immediately get them on couch was the perfect cursed version of a pretty classic gag.

Grateful to have live a blessed life of never experiencing the pain of witnessing someone forcing a moment for social media filming, let alone being party to it.

lol at Nathan becoming convinced the 2 kids are somehow following them across town at night to pick through the trash to gaslight him into thinking he is cursed. This, he feels strongly enough to pick an obtuse fight about it.

Fernando arriving for his nebulous security job was a great, foreboding scene to end on, complete with chekov's shotgun there. You know Asher and Whitney are picturing Fernando somehow in a mallcop uniform with a little security vehicle to politely warn off folks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've been hot and cold on Nathan's acting so far but he really knocked out in that argument. I feel like he's improving in every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
I'm absolutely loving this show. It rivalries Hello Ladies as the cringiest thing I've ever seen, I frequently have to pause some scenes and take a breath before continuing. Give Nathan Fielder all the money to do whatever as far as I'm concerned!